Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
Note that after today's update, mDP is to be offered as the default instead of HDMI:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...itted-usb-c-hub-for-new-macbook/posts/1265037

For me this is a good thing, as I have more need for mDP than HDMI :)

Yes, I'm loving the change to miniDP as well. But they are getting some stick in the comments section of their update. Maybe you should help out with a simple "I like it" just to make them more convinced they make the right decision.

Also, as [user]facrat[/user] stated the KADi is a bit of a scattered mess right now, they close their funding in a week yet still doesn't have a detailed timeline. Their lack of proof of prototyping doesn't fill me with confidence either. I'd not cancel just yet since I have early bird privileges currently, but if by funding date there's no positive news I'd cancel for sure.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
A kickstarter project delay is hardly surprising. Haven't seen any from Anker, or any, that supports display (and by display I really meant VGA), so my hard-earned cash are still up for grabs.

Again, no display, I will pass. The pre-order system is kind of suspect as well. It might be wise to look elsewhere.

It's not the delay in and of itself, it is the delay because of a decision to redesign late in the game. Just doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I don't really need any display support, just a USB-C power passthrough and a couple USB 3 ports. Anker has 1 coming up that will have those + an ethernet adaptor on the end (I still go to 1 place that I need ethernet). I just backed Branch, they seem a little more solid - they made a change but are committed to their delivery date. If they get funded and seem on target, I'll go with that, and just keep using my current USB->ethernet adaptor. If not, I'll get the Anker when it comes out...

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
It's not the delay in and of itself, it is the delay because of a decision to redesign late in the game. Just doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I don't really need any display support, just a USB-C power passthrough and a couple USB 3 ports. Anker has 1 coming up that will have those + an ethernet adaptor on the end (I still go to 1 place that I need ethernet). I just backed Branch, they seem a little more solid - they made a change but are committed to their delivery date. If they get funded and seem on target, I'll go with that, and just keep using my current USB->ethernet adaptor. If not, I'll get the Anker when it comes out...
Different strokes for different folks. As my MacBook will be used to present a lot of stuff, I'm going to need that display output.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Seems that there are a lot of different posts covering this topic. I wonder if for the time being, it might be best to have a sticky where we can aggregate discussion on this topic? People could add various devices they've found for sale or in prototype stages, ask for recommendations, etc.

I'll start.

We of course have the Kickstarter options - not my cup of tea to buy like this, but the ideas look good.

The Hub+
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nonda/get-your-macbook-ports-back
photo-original.jpg

Infinite USB:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-one-usb-port-unlimited-devices/posts/1187812
f79f5f485f2524bc2a1980c8a2c4deba_original.jpg

HydraDock
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...port-usb-c-dock-for-apple-macbook/description
82aacc5eca898719b26e5c48f5093183_original.jpg

Kadi Port
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/714748206/the-kadi-port-a-macbook-essential
0940a921340f07c859cd69777e26a5bb_original.jpg

Plugable Ultimate USB-C
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/plugable/plugable-ultimate-usb-c-universal-docking-station
c0157e8992ee6326c0b47bab4a011412_original.jpg

A comparison by Plugable:
6b71dd75102b4697d091699345c580b2_original.jpg

Branch
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-fitted-usb-c-hub-for-new-macbook/description
40f107f89c7504c2956d542f31dd0d0c_original.jpg

Stuff we can buy today or should be in production shortly - non kickstarter

Anker Ethernet/USB-A:
http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Etherne...?ie=UTF8&qid=1434720624&sr=8-4&keywords=usb-c

I'll add more later - also, please make suggestions, feel free to discuss the products here. If the mods can change the title, this could be made into the sticky thread itself if they see fit.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
For me, the Hub+ seems like the most complete option at the moment, that isn't a full-fledged dock, but I don't have any faith that the company will actually deliver the project. I'd like to see more companies using displayport rather than HDMI, and for someone to create something as minimal as possible that has a full array of ports including displayport and even Ethernet for mobile workers to carry on the road.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Could we please move this back to the Macbook forum as this topic is only relevant to that product at the moment. I suspect it will just get lost over here.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think merging is a good idea if you are game. I have been having to chase down and follow all of those independently.

I agree that in the long run a thread like this would belong here, but I'm afraid in the short run the vast majority of users will never find it over here. I would never have thought to look in this forum, and many of the posts you list above exist in the Macbook forum. Moving it will only really work if you continue to move new usb-c posts over here and into this thread as appropriate.

Thanks!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I think merging is a good idea if you are game. I have been having to chase down and follow all of those independently.

I agree that in the long run a thread like this would belong here, but I'm afraid in the short run the vast majority of users will never find it over here. I would never have thought to look in this forum, and many of the posts you list above exist in the Macbook forum. Moving it will only really work if you continue to move new usb-c posts over here and into this thread as appropriate.

Thanks!

I will post a sticky thread in the MacBook forum asking members to post their USB-C threads in this forum and include a link to this thread.

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
@zhenya
You didn't start I already posted that hub+ what u pasted as first ..
and it looks most compact and most connections it has ..

Hey guys I rather prefer HDMi to micro HDMI as it is just one cable from my tablet going straight to my TV ..
As TV supports just HDMI only .. Don't understand some ppl why they have problems with HDMI ..?
It is simplest and most universal video/audio connector same like USB is universal and simplest..

MicroStandHDMI16.jpg

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This thread came out of the desire to see a one-stop place to discuss the rapidly developing usb-c peripheral market. Never intended to imply that what I was putting together was something novel - just trying to get a sticky thread off the ground. :)

HDMI is common in the AV and TV world, but in the computer world, displayport definitely rules. Displayport has the advantage of more bandwidth, a commonly available small port in mini-displayport, and simple conversion to HDMI. Converting HDMI to displayport is much more difficult. That's why I'd like to see more devices with displayport. It's much more universal.

facrat

macrumors member
May 15, 2015
Dear lord this super sticky thread is a terrible idea. Now all those threads of discussion about different products have been mangled together in a forum that nobody visits. Should have been left in the Macbook forum until USB-C actually makes an appearance on another device.

Searching through pages and pages to find specific products and user reviews of them is no fun at all. Since of course *all* pluggable accessories for the 12-inch Macbook are USB-C only by definition ....

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
@zhenya
You didn't start I already posted that hub+ what u pasted as first ..
and it looks most compact and most connections it has ..

Hey guys I rather prefer HDMi to micro HDMI as it is just one cable from my tablet going straight to my TV ..
As TV supports just HDMI only .. Don't understand some ppl why they have problems with HDMI ..?
It is simplest and most universal video/audio connector same like USB is universal and simplest..

MicroStandHDMI16.jpg

Anyone?

Ugh, ok, I'll bite.

1. This is a USB-C thread.
2. Not all displays use HDMI, some use thunderbolt or VGA.

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
This thread came out of the desire to see a one-stop place to discuss the rapidly developing usb-c peripheral market. Never intended to imply that what I was putting together was something novel - just trying to get a sticky thread off the ground. :)

HDMI is common in the AV and TV world, but in the computer world, displayport definitely rules. Displayport has the advantage of more bandwidth, a commonly available small port in mini-displayport, and simple conversion to HDMI. Converting HDMI to displayport is much more difficult. That's why I'd like to see more devices with displayport. It's much more universal.
But not any more.. today u have great hdmi 2.0 too supports 4k at 60fps and + brilliant 27''-30'' monitor and u set :) you can connect up to 3 monitors if u like have it ultra wide ;)
look pics below:

Last edited:

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
That acer monitor design looks stupid. The left side will bounce from the slightest table movement. They're trying to be cute with the design but it looks unbalanced and will have an annoying bounce when you are working at the table.

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
1.OK that was last hdmi post (above)
2.VGA ?? ar u joking ?? no chance ancient vga in 2015 pleease ..

I am not the one responsible for building display infrastructures in offices, schools, and campuses, 95% of which still use VGA (at least where I live). You obviously want sharp quality, which is fine. But for others it's about compatibility with the world, even when they do have a lot of catching up to do.

And no, I'm not going to carry around 4K HDMI adapters and use the "VGA?! Are you joking?! No chance if ancient VGA in 2015" line to my client/teacher/professor as to an explanation why I'm not presenting what I worked on.

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
That acer monitor design looks stupid. The left side will bounce from the slightest table movement. They're trying to be cute with the design but it looks unbalanced and will have an annoying bounce when you are working at the table.
why would you move with table? no it won't wobble it's firm

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
But not any more.. today u have great hdmi 2.0 too supports 4k at 60fps and + brilliant 27''-30'' monitor and u set :) you can connect up to 3 monitors if u like have it ultra wide ;)
look pics below:

View attachment 562605

View attachment 562601

Even still, HDMI 2.0 lags far behind the latest displayport standards, and the conversion issue remains. Either way, usb-c should soon be ubiquitous enough that we will have plenty of both kinds to choose from. :)

Ethos Evoss

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2013
Earth
Even still, HDMI 2.0 lags far behind the latest displayport standards, and the conversion issue remains. Either way, usb-c should soon be ubiquitous enough that we will have plenty of both kinds to choose from. :)
Soon or later the ''USB'' will be so universal, that (maybe USB 4.0) we will be using only that cable ..
All the rest of cables will be discontinued, scrapped .. usb will be for video ,audio , internet, just one simple cable.. :)

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
why would you move with table? no it won't wobble it's firm

Tables get bumped as part of their normal operation. The design will wobble. It's annoying. Cute, but impractical. A centered stand will be more balanced and reduce wobbling. Sony had a design like that once on their Sony Vaio monitors.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks for info!

All coming soon.... and no way to get details ... at least it's not a kickstarter project :)

IIIHHHHHH

http://www.ianker.com/product/A8303041

Anker USB-C to 3-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Ethernet Adapter - 30$!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the graal :)

The problem (and it's a big one) is that none of these support charging. That's all fine and good that the ports (USBx3 + Ethernet) are there, but when my battery runs low and I have to sacrifice ethernet connectivity to re-charge my laptop, and have no connection while re-charging, that's an issue, a BIG issue.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Not sure if anybody has seen these, but there are two Kickstarter projects that are offering USB-C to Lightning cables. They are only capable of charging though, so it doesn't eliminate the need for the adapter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ler-double-your-charging-speed?ref=nav_search

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...allest-keyring-cable-on-steroi?ref=nav_search

Monoprice also has a new USB-C to USB adapter that looks interesting, it gets rid of the cable: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10330&cs_id=1033001&p_id=13507&seq=1&format=2

I'm so tired of kickstarter. While I fully support the concept of kickstarter, I am overly frustrated by the number of fully funded projects that never see the light of day. The reason why the traditional model of raising capital works so well is in order to launch a product, someone needs a basic understanding of the business model... and absent of that, projects stall and never see the light of day. People get excited and spend money on something they'll never get.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
The problem (and it's a big one) is that none of these support charging. That's all fine and good that the ports (USBx3 + Ethernet) are there, but when my battery runs low and I have to sacrifice ethernet connectivity to re-charge my laptop, and have no connection while re-charging, that's an issue, a BIG issue.

Agreed.. These Anker adapters are nice form factor, but sort of useless to me without passthrough charging. I hope someone makes a small portable dock with a few USB ports, Ethernet, and charging support.

Hub+ is very close, but it's lacking built-in Ethernet port. If there are no other options in a few months, I may end up getting Hub+ paired up with a small Apple USB2-to-Ethernet adapter. Not ideal though, as I'd really like an all-in-one solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.