Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The dock comes with a 80w power supply and charges your MacBook when connected! So you don't need the MacBook charger :)

This is one of the great benefits of USB charging over MagSafe - the Apple branded chargers are no longer the only ones that can charge the computers.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Something worth mentioning, is that you can now get USB-C extension cables. I bought one today on Ebay. They comein the usual lengths (1, 3 and 6 feet approx.).

I figure, this way you don't have to look at these butt ugly hubs if they are 6 ft. away :D

Of course the extension cables are cheap looking. What I really want is a coupler. That way I can use the nice Apple stuff: Apple cable coupled to the Apple HDMI dongle (which they have the nerve to charge $79US for). Or just the Apple cable and some other hub. But i'm not going to buy any cheap knock off hub until it's been tested by an intrepid forum poster :)

Last edited:

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Something worth mentioning, is that you can now get USB-C extension cables. I bought one today on Ebay. They comein the usual lengths (1, 3 and 6 feet approx.).

I figure, this way you don't have to look at these butt ugly hubs if they are 6 ft. away :D

Of course the extension cables are cheap looking. What I really want is a coupler. That way I can use the nice Apple stuff: Apple cable coupled to the Apple HDMI dongle (which they have the nerve to charge $79US for). Or just the Apple cable and some other hub. But i'm not going to buy any cheap knock off hub until it's been tested by an intrepid forum poster :)

i ordered one of those ugly cheap hubs because I thought I could use the usb C output with Apple's charging cable to connect to the rMB but now I'm afraid that won't work. First the charging cable probably won't transfer data. Second: the usbC output on the hub is only for charging, no data there either.
So a data/charging extension cable could be a nice solution.
I tried to find one just the other day but had no luck. I'll try again now. Could you post the link maybe?

edit: I found them but I think I'll wait til I get my hub first to see if that works before I'll 'invest' in more cables...

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I think I'll wait til I get my hub first to see if that works before I'll 'invest' in more cables...

I hear ya. I paid a $18 for the cable. Now, that's not THAT bad, but they are gouging a little I think, this being all new and stuff.

But having said that, it's interesting that they have them now, as it's looking like the USB-C is starting to really come in.

Certainly better than when thunderbolt was released.

MVPinFLA

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Boynton Beach, FL
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XUIHV7E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I ordered this one. It doesn't look as good as the other one but I plan to connect it directly to the charger and use the 6ft apple charging cable from the hub to the rMB so I don't even see the hub. the price isn't too bad compared to other ones.
This is one with 3 usb3 contacts and usb c charging output but I believe they have other ones as well.
Has anyone else got this one? Does it work as expected?
I just checked the site and noticed they are only available from june 20. Mine was sent straight away.

I decided to order one of these today. It is exactly what I need and reasonably priced. Since it is from Amazon, I can always return if it doesn't work.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I decided to order one of these today. It is exactly what I need and reasonably priced. Since it is from Amazon, I can always return if it doesn't work.

yeah, price was ok but to return it if it doesn't work is no option for me since I'm in Norway. It would cost me more than the hub itself... I just took a chance because it offers exactly what I need.
You will probably get yours before I'll get mine so it would be nice to hear. Not that it would make any difference for me since it has been on it's way now for almost one week...

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
I hear ya. I paid a $18 for the cable. Now, that's not THAT bad, but they are gouging a little I think, this being all new and stuff.

But having said that, it's interesting that they have them now, as it's looking like the USB-C is starting to really come in.

Certainly better than when thunderbolt was released.

Could you let us know if it works for both charging and data transfer? Then it's worth the price for me.
It mentions data and 'scalable power charging' whatever that means?????

MVPinFLA

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Boynton Beach, FL
yeah, price was ok but to return it if it doesn't work is no option for me since I'm in Norway. It would cost me more than the hub itself... I just took a chance because it offers exactly what I need.
You will probably get yours before I'll get mine so it would be nice to hear. Not that it would make any difference for me since it has been on it's way now for almost one week...

Since it says the below on the product info, I wouldn't be expecting it too soon. :eek:)

In stock on June 20, 2015.
Order it now.

Estimated Delivery Date: July 16 - 31 when you choose Standard at checkout.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Could you let us know if it works for both charging and data transfer? Then it's worth the price for me.
It mentions data and 'scalable power charging' whatever that means?????

I'm sure it ill work that way. It says it does, so either it's defective (possible cuz this is new stuff) or it works that way.

It's always a risk with rush to market stuff. Then again, it probably works.

objektør

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
At home
Since it says the below on the product info, I wouldn't be expecting it too soon. :eek:)

In stock on June 20, 2015.
Order it now.

Estimated Delivery Date: July 16 - 31 when you choose Standard at checkout.

I was 'lucky' and had probably the last one. It was sent straight away. Eta 18/6- 6/7.

powersteer

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2015
There is only 1 USB-C port which you can use to connect to your rMB. but its rated only
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C Port - Standard Power 5V, 1.5A
wudnt this slow down the charging of the rMB?

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
There is only 1 USB-C port which you can use to connect to your rMB. but its rated only
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C Port - Standard Power 5V, 1.5A
wudnt this slow down the charging of the rMB?

There are 2 USB type C ports, the 80 Watt Power supply might charge the macbook faster, but I don't think there will be much of a difference.

sangalang

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
Thank you for sharing OP.

Branch looks nicer and seems to fit rMB more snugly, whereas KADi offers more port variety (type-C + mDP).

It's great USB-C accessories really seem to be taking off nowadays. Hopefully they are all great qualities, too.

maryunani

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
Darn it, almost perfect for me. I needed the VGA (or at least MiniDP since I have the old school miniDP to VGA adapter) port, not HDMI. Plus, the one with extra 64 GB of storage is just pure bedroom shenanigans, man. LED Charging indicator? Icing on the cake. But alas no miniDP makes the $119 price not worth the investment for me.

It's still a great idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.