Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Yes, my display at home is 100hz and the display at my office is 144hz. I am able to get both refresh rates at 1440 without any issues with this dock through HDMI. Have not had the best luck with Anker, Aukey and other hubs.

one amazon review mentions when trying to charge phone and run hard drives he had issues with it dropping the other connected devices did you experience any of that?

Aristberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2021
Nope. And I work using this setup about 8-10 hours a day.
Looks awesome, though doesn't look like it'll work with a Mac mini M1 unfortunately :(
Love that it has a few USB C ports as well.
I couldn't find a similar product designed for the mini - do you know of one?
Thanks
Edit: Actually, not a big issue for the Mac Mini, as it has a separate charging port. The Caldigit TS4 Element will do the job to provide more ports, with the spare USB-C for monitor. All good, now just gotta wait for it to be in stock somewhere! :)

Last edited:

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
OWC delayed availability of their newest Thunderbolt 4 docking station https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-dock until December 2021.

Any other recommendations for Thunderbolt 4 docking stations which use a newer
"Supported on all M1 Mac models and Thunderbolt 3 equipped Mac models running macOS 11.1 Big Sur or later. Supported on Windows PCs with Thunderbolt 4 ports."

I wonder if they'll update that description for the new MBP laptops?

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I caved and bought maxed out MacBook Pro 16” with a 4TB Drive.

OK question, now that the new MBPs have a lot more plugs, I basically just need a reliable USB3 and USBA only Dock, mainly will be used for keyboard and mouse but i have midi controllers MAschine and Ableton Push

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
My work provided me with this HP G5 USB-C dock: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-usb-c-dock-g5
I am hoping to use it for my personal Mac as well to reduce desk cable clutter.

I have a Samsung 4k60Hz monitor and an HP 1080p60Hz monitor that I use for work, both connected to the dock via DisplayPort. To get 4k60Hz output with the HP work laptop, I had to go into BIOS and enable high resolution mode over Thunderbolt. As I understand it, this reduces the dock USB speeds to 2.0 to allow more bandwidth for the DisplayPorts. Without that option, I can only do 4k30.

I am hoping to reduce clutter by using the same dock for my personal Mac. I only want to use the 4k monitor with it. While with my smaller, single DisplayPort CableMatters adapter, I can get 4k60 with the Mac, connected via the G5 dock, I'm getting 2560x1440 60Hz.

Is there a method to force 4k60Hz through this dock with the Mac, akin to the BIOS high-resolution mode on the HP?

Last edited:

cfm56d7b

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2020
Sharing an update. I received https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-dock and has been using it for 2 weeks.

Observed issues:
- After waking up after sleeping, the resolution on 2 x Dell U2720QM monitors resets tp 1920x1080 with one monitor at 60 Hz and another at 30 Hz
- Unplugging power cable / plugging it back solves the problem. Both monitors return to desired resolution 3008 x 1692 at 60 Hz
- Ethernet port stops working every few hours or couple of days. No specific pattern. The issue may be rooted in Realtek drivers: no Realtek DriverKit compatible driver exists just yet for Big Sur. So Apple's own driver is used instead.

I still like this dock. Hopefully, OWC will convince Realtek to release DriverKit compatible driver.

Last edited:

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Thunderbolt 3 vs 4 question: Would a Caldigit TS4+ actually be markedly better than a TS3+?
What features would it actually be able to provide? Is it all just a question of "faster and more pixels"?

Reactions: ekwipt

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Does anyone know if old USB-C hubs work with the new MBP (16")? I mean that ones with 2 USB-C inputs (not with cable).

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Hooked-up a 16" M1 Pro to my trust Caldigit TS3+ and a new monitor... and everything just worked first-time. I know the Caldigit is an expensive piece of kit when compared to some of the other docks out there, but its really reliable.

Reactions: ekwipt

primusd

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2021
Hi folks... long-time MR reader, new to the forums!

I did a little forum searching first but I was a bit overwhelmed with the results - just got the new 14" M1 Pro (gorg!) and looking for a universal dock (dongle?) for this + a work PC, but one that either doesn't provide USB-C charging or allows me to turn it off (I don't care what they say, I'm convinced that constantly having a battery charging does bad things for longevity).

My needs are limited - two 27" displays, both have HDMI or DisplayPort, one of which has newer USB-C + 2 x DisplayPort 1.2/MST (which in theory allows for daisy chaining). Unfortunately I can't seem to turn off the USB-C power charging in the newer Asus monitor, otherwise that could serve as my dock.

Thanks in advance!!

mario0

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2021
I bought an Anker 8-in-1 USB-C Hub, PowerExpand USB-C Adapter, 100W Power Delivery and noticed that after 30 minutes this USB-C hub really gets super hot. I have only connected an external SSD and a SD card.

Is this normal that such adapters gets so hot?

alexqndr

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
London
I bought an Anker 8-in-1 USB-C Hub, PowerExpand USB-C Adapter, 100W Power Delivery and noticed that after 30 minutes this USB-C hub really gets super hot. I have only connected an external SSD and a SD card.

Is this normal that such adapters gets so hot?

All USB-C hubs get crazy hot. The smaller the hotter.

HaddockW

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2017
San Francisco
Hooked-up a 16" M1 Pro to my trust Caldigit TS3+ and a new monitor... and everything just worked first-time. I know the Caldigit is an expensive piece of kit when compared to some of the other docks out there, but its really reliable.
My TS3+ finally bit the bullet. I got it on day one when it first came out. Either 2016 or early 2017. So I've had it for a long time.

A lot has changed since then so I got me an Elgato one from CostCo $150. I dont think the TS3+ is worth the price in 2021. I may just get a TB4 hub. I prefer a hub as most of my devices are usb-c/TB3.

iMacedonian

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2015
Brno, CZ
Hey fellas. The thread is too large for me to go through with it, but can someone recommend a good charging cable for a Macbook Air M1? (USB-C to USB-C). Is the original Apple cable the best option or cheaper third-party cables are good as well without damaging the battery?

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Hey fellas. The thread is too large for me to go through with it, but can someone recommend a good charging cable for a Macbook Air M1? (USB-C to USB-C). Is the original Apple cable the best option or cheaper third-party cables are good as well without damaging the battery?
I cannot answer at all about the impact on the machine, but I have just used a WOTOBE cable, came with one of their 65W chargers, on a 2021 MacBook Pro 16". Worked just fine. From AliExpress. Reasonable braided outer and plugs seem to be fine.

(The machine isn't mine, it was just a test. The charger is usually used on a variety of other devices such as iPad, Surface, etc.)

Obviously, not tested for fast charging!

Last edited:
Reactions: iMacedonian

TrancyGoose

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2021
Hey all.
Not sure if this was posted by anyone before.
But I suggest these guys out at Dockcase. https://www.dockcase.com

I have the 7 in 1 version, which is awesome even has a cooling fan and a control panel! :D 7 in 1 is a 3.0 version with SD
8 in 1 is coming out soon with a spare USB-C port and 3.2 in it and 3.1 on USB - A.
Im not affiliated with them in any way, just wanted to throw it out here, that this is great.

Attachments

• DC908F19-D1C3-4FEF-A2D6-D52217F9BAE7.jpg
    DC908F19-D1C3-4FEF-A2D6-D52217F9BAE7.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 140

TrancyGoose

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2021
I prefer Anker produce, a little pricey but proven worth it.

Reactions: MacDividend

IAC89

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
Howdy all,
The USB-C port broke off on my 61watt charger for my 2020 13" MBP.
I've been sharing my wife's 30watt charger meant for her MacBook Air, and it's been awfully slow.
Looking at getting the Aukey 90 watt charger with 2 USB-C ports/2USB-A ports

Was also considering going with a 150 watt charger off Amazon - any advice?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.