Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spytech

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
Every now and then I go back to the drawing board to replace my OWC USB-C Dock (which isn't 100% reliable, has power issues often) but I haven't seen one with a selection of ports of my liking, especially with the port distribution in my dock... Maybe someone can help?

Must have:
- Ethernet
- Detachable USB-C cable for connection with my computer (or it has to come with a 1m cable already)
- 3 USB A ports, with at least 2 being 3.0, and with one outputting at least 1.5A
- HDMI or mDP or VGA

Not required, but very helpful (from most to least important):
- Standard 3,5mm headphone port
- Another USB A port (can be 2.0)
- SD card reader

I don't exactly need power delivery, can be a data only hub. My external monitor is VGA, and I don't intend to replace it unless it breaks down, so I don't even need full HD support (I have mDP and HDMI to VGA converters). I don't need Thunderbolt, at all, USB-C 3.1 is enough. Can go up to 150€ (200€ if the device is really worth it)

ElementOfStyle

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2020
Madison, WI, USA
Amazon has the CalDigit TS3+ for $209.99. Bit the bullet and bought one to use with my MacBook Air. It was delivered yesterday. It worked seamlessly out of the box with my work issued HP Elitebook as well as my MBA. All I need to do is switch which computer is connected and I'm good to go. It's a solid well made piece of hardware.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Amazon has the CalDigit TS3+ for $209.99. Bit the bullet and bought one to use with my MacBook Air. It was delivered yesterday. It worked seamlessly out of the box with my work issued HP Elitebook as well as my MBA. All I need to do is switch which computer is connected and I'm good to go. It's a solid well made piece of hardware.

Can I hot swap this between a Macbook Pro and a desktop computer? I'm afraid of the power delivery frying my motherboard when I plug it in to the desktop PC.

ElementOfStyle

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2020
Madison, WI, USA
Can I hot swap this between a Macbook Pro and a desktop computer? I'm afraid of the power delivery frying my motherboard when I plug it in to the desktop PC.

That's a good question. These things are designed to be plugged in while running. But, I'm guessing that it's not something you should be doing every couple of minutes if you're trying to share a monitor. You'd probably want something that provides switching capabilities if you're looking at doing it a lot during a single day.

kajukenbo

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2018
CalDigit has been teasing a new product since September. I'm hoping it is an updated TS3 Plus with more power for charging and dual TB3/USB-C support.

Reactions: jazz1 and Jpoon

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
CalDigit has been teasing a new product since September. I'm hoping it is an updated TS3 Plus with more power for charging and dual TB3/USB-C support.

I hope it's something with at least Titan Ridge support so I can use it as a USB-C hub as well, and supports 10GbE.

• Love
Reactions: Jpoon

kajukenbo

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2018
Their Facebook page at least confirms it is a dock:

"We delayed launch because of an update to the dock and are now planning on announcing next week. Thank you for your continued interest!"

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Does anyone know where I can get a quality USB-C extension cable? 3 feet or longer? I looked on Amazon but they all looked like no-name cheesy knockoffs.

UmichAg

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Is it possible for any dock to support two QHD monitors at 144Hz or is that simply beyond docks’ bandwidth?
I really appreciate any insight into that and which dock might meet those specs.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I'm about to upgrade my late 2014 Mini to a 2018 model. I assume I'll need to get a few usb-c cables (or at least a good usb-c hub) to replace the cables on all my usb-2 & 3 peripherals. Can you recommend a good source? I'd rather not pay Apple prices if I can avoid it.

I assume that if I've got an external drive with a usb-3 cord, it will work fine if I replace it with a usb-c?

Any recommendations for a good usb c hub?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I'm about to upgrade my late 2014 Mini to a 2018 model. I assume I'll need to get a few usb-c cables (or at least a good usb-c hub) to replace the cables on all my usb-2 & 3 peripherals. Can you recommend a good source? I'd rather not pay Apple prices if I can avoid it.

I assume that if I've got an external drive with a usb-3 cord, it will work fine if I replace it with a usb-c?

You would be better off with more bandwidth with a good TB 3 dock!

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Is anyone hearing any buzz on the USB-4 products? Will there be any at CES (or whatever CES turns into)?

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Can anyone recommend from the following (for an M1 Air) or suggest something different if I haven't listed it here? I'm especially looking for one that doesn't end up disconnecting/losing connections with devices.

Vava USB C 9-in-1
Totu USB C 9-in-1
Anker USB C Hub adapter PowerExpand+ 7-in-1 60W power delivery
Anker USB C Hub adapter PowerExpand+ 7-in-1 100W power delivery

Additionally, are there any super portable/compact dongles that would give me just 2 or 3 extra USB ports (maybe a combo if C and A) when I didn't need to take one of the above out and about with me?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Here's what I'm looking for, if anyone knows of one (price is no consideration):

USB-C Thunderbolt connection to plug into the Mac/LG Ultrafine with the following ports:
  1. USB-C Thunderbolt (powered, for charging big junk & fast file transfer)
  2. USB-C Thunderbolt (powered, for charging more big junk & fast file transfer)
  3. USB-C (powered, for charging widget-sized junk like AirPods Pro)
  4. USB-C (powered, for charging dingus-sized junk like iPhone Pro)
  5. USB-C (powered, for charging over-priced junk like Apple Keyboard/Mouse)

Absolutely no HDMI, USB-A, Mini-USB, Headphone Jack, card-readers or ethernet. I don't need that stuff... I just want more USB-C Thunderbolt ports. I would love 5 ports, all on the back, but would settle for 4 ports, all on the back. This hub would plug in to the back of my LG Ultrafine and never get unplugged.

I don't care how big or heavy the hub is. I don't care how big the external power brick is. I don't care what it looks like, or if it matches my MBPro. I don't care what it costs.

I am willing to buy you a box of Krispy Kreme and name my next child after you if you find this!

vicfalc09

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Here's what I'm looking for, if anyone knows of one (price is no consideration):

USB-C Thunderbolt connection to plug into the Mac/LG Ultrafine with the following ports:
  1. USB-C Thunderbolt (powered, for charging big junk & fast file transfer)
  2. USB-C Thunderbolt (powered, for charging more big junk & fast file transfer)
  3. USB-C (powered, for charging widget-sized junk like AirPods Pro)
  4. USB-C (powered, for charging dingus-sized junk like iPhone Pro)
  5. USB-C (powered, for charging over-priced junk like Apple Keyboard/Mouse)

Absolutely no HDMI, USB-A, Mini-USB, Headphone Jack, card-readers or ethernet. I don't need that stuff... I just want more USB-C Thunderbolt ports. I would love 5 ports, all on the back, but would settle for 4 ports, all on the back. This hub would plug in to the back of my LG Ultrafine and never get unplugged.

I don't care how big or heavy the hub is. I don't care how big the external power brick is. I don't care what it looks like, or if it matches my MBPro. I don't care what it costs.

I am willing to buy you a box of Krispy Kreme and name my next child after you if you find this!
OWC is coming out with something close:

Last edited:

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008

Monoprice and Startech usually have good kit.

hagglelad

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2020
Considering purchasing a Caldigit TS3 Plus or a OWC 14-port TB3 for use with my 16" MacBook Pro.

How do people with a similar setup find the 85W of power delivery? Considering the 16" MBP uses a 97W stock charger I am curious if 85W is sufficient to keep the MacBook from losing battery if its being worked hard all day.

Any other gotchas to look out for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.