Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
Wow OWC is finally releasing new docks. Glad I checked here first. The new OWCTB4DOCK looks like what I need. Hopefully they will be available in Europe soon. I keep checking amazon.de ...

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
My plan's to connect this 16-port USB 3 hub with four hard drives and various peripherals.

I can then connect a 4K/60hz monitor via HDMI.

What more do you need?

Depends for the user is an older geek with still functional older Equipment and needs a speedy hyper for older hard drive/cd/bays and expensive audio gear in my situation!

Last edited:
Reactions: MacDividend

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
OWC is coming out with something close:

If somebody could test how this behaves with Mojave?
Does it work at all?
If the mac has only TB3, not TB4, do those tb sockets still work as tb3 sockets?
Can they act as 10Gbit/s usb-c sockets?

Mikael1980

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
Hello, I just bought a Satechi USB-C Multiport V2 to use with my MBA M1. When I unplug it from the computer, the usb-c plug makes a static electricity kind of noise. I see no sparks or such things, even in dark. But the sound....
This happens with the computer on, sleep and completely off. The apple charger cable does not make the sound, and no other usb-c cable makes this sound. I have proper ground in my house and outlets, not a problem there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Oh, and it does draw extra power from the computer it seems, and it does get warm with anything plugged into it... even with only a bluetooth mouse usb receiver it gets warm.

ryys

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
Hey. is anyone using Adam Elements Casa Hub PDC501 and powers M1 with its PD? I'm a little bit concerned reading some MacBook being destroyed with lower quality PD hubs/docks?

Natastrophe

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2021
So much information about hubs!! I found this one that supports 4k60, and has all the ports I need. My monitor is HDMI, so I can power my Macbook Air M1 with one USB-C port, and collect all other devices via the adapter...

What are peoples thoughts on the above? I may order today!

smoghat

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2020
I just got the new OWC Thunderbolt 4 hub last week (the first actual hub as opposed to a dock). Every time I plug in my M1 Mac to the hub, it has a panic and restarts. I am trying to whittle down what is causing this, but it's not good. Also one of my two OWC Thunderbolt 3 docks fried last week. Coincidence? It might not be.

mario0

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2021
I bought an Anker 8-in-1 USB-C Hub, PowerExpand USB-C Adapter, 100W Power Delivery and noticed that after 30 minutes this USB-C hub really gets super hot. I have only connected an external SSD and a SD card.

Is this normal that such adapters gets so hot?

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I'm looking at the CalDigit USB-C HDMI hub with 2x 4k60 HDMI ports. Or the Pro hub with 2x DP. Are they as good as the TS3 dock that everybody seems to love? I will only use it to power my MBP 16" and for the USB and HDMI ports. No Ethernet or headphones.

cfm56d7b

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2020
After upgrading to MacOS Big 11.5 from Catalina, the Ethernet connection (provided by Plugable USBC-7IN1E 7-in-1 hub) stopped working.

My research led to Realtek RTL8153 chipset, also used by Plugable USBC-7IN1E. Realtek hasn't yet provided Big Sur compatible drivers. Bg Sur "no longer loads kernel extensions that use deprecated kernel programming interfaces (KPIs) by default".

Since Realtek chipset is widely used in other hubs, this problem has been reported by many other users.

Some USB C Ethernet adapters and hubs use ASIX AX88179 chipset and ASIX released Big Sur compatible drivers on May 21, 2021

Does anyone know what USB C Ethernet adapters and hubs use ASIX AX88179 chipset?

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Does anyone know if there is a Thundebolt 3 Ethernet adapter, similar to Apple's https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/MD463LL/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter but Thunderbolt 3?
There is. But not for 1GbE. Only for 10GbE. And therefore rather pricy.
Other solution. Apple's Adapter + Apple's TB3 -> TB2 Adapter... looks silly, but works. And that much better than those cheap Realtek garbage adapters. Especially as Apple's ECM driver eats CPU resources like nuts when pushing data through it.

cihag

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Hi, I am now looking into the world of Hubs as well and need some help. Please excuse if this has been discussed before, the sticky is very long! 🙈

I am wondering whether I can get away with a cheaper alternative than something like the caldigit t3+.

I am planning to get an m1 MacBook Pro and I think I have very basic needs with regards to the dock:
- Pass through charging of the laptop
- HDMI Port (currently a 1080p monitor with maybe 4K in the future, no need for 60hz, basic office work)
- Either 3 USB-A ports or 2 USB-A ports and a headphone-jack (no speed requirements, it’s a webcam, a headset and a mouse/keyboard dongle)
- ideally an additional USB-A for the occasional data transfer via USB-stick

Is there something below 100 €/$/£ that would suit my needs? I Would like a reputable brand, especially after the recent reports of hubs killing m1 macs…

From the looks of it, this one has everything I need for under 35€, but I’ve never heard of “ENKLEN”…
Link: Amazon_DE

Any ideas?

thanks
Cihag

Last edited:

cihag

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
And maybe a more general question:

What’s the benefit of those 300$ “Docks” (e.g. Anker PowerExpand Elite) compared to the 30$ “Hubs” (e.g. Anker PowerExpand+)?

I see a couple of more ports and more powerful ports (like hdmi 4k@60hz). But for 10x the price?

Last edited:

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
The Docks are usually Thunderbolt 3 instead of USB-C. Thunderbolt has way more bandwidht than USB-C. Also, docks have their own power supply so they don't have to rely on this clumsy PD Passthrough charging.

Dock are less portable and meant for a more stationary usage. Hubs are lighter and more portable but on a stationary use they're harder to place cleanly as they dangle around somehwere (they have almost no weight that holds them in place).

Thunderbolt is expensive due the Intel certification. USB-C is rather cheap but also limited rather quickly.

cihag

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
The Docks are usually Thunderbolt 3 instead of USB-C. Thunderbolt has way more bandwidht than USB-C. Also, docks have their own power supply so they don't have to rely on this clumsy PD Passthrough charging.

Dock are less portable and meant for a more stationary usage. Hubs are lighter and more portable but on a stationary use they're harder to place cleanly as they dangle around somehwere (they have almost no weight that holds them in place).

Thunderbolt is expensive due the Intel certification. USB-C is rather cheap but also limited rather quickly.
Thanks! This pretty much sums it up, I guess… I personally don‘t need the extra bandwidth, but I LOVE a clean desktop… This alone might make me shell out and get a dock for 10x the price of a hub… ^^

The Anker elite looks pretty nice to me, with all necessary ports on the back, some extra ports in the front and also a power button…

It‘s only TB3, but that‘s not an issue for me. Is there anything else to consider? I‘ve read that it had issues and is being discontinued, but I couldn‘t find any specifics…

Reactions: MacDividend

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011

I did a review of the dock that I use for my MacBook Air desktop setup. So far the best dock out of all the hubs and usb-c dongles I’ve used.
wait are you saying that on the M1 air it actually lets you set 100hz?

I actually went into the apple store just to talk to some guys there on the real world experience and one thing not often mentioned is even if you get 60hz 4k there isnt HDCP on some of the cheaper hubs. Only the official apple dongle and caldigit sold at the store pass this apparently.

Sad to hear about the anker and satechi experience mentioned above if im honest since i usually have good experience with both brands. I noticed that the anker higher end ones basically mimic the caldigit feature set, and unfortunately the price as well.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
wait are you saying that on the M1 air it actually lets you set 100hz?

I actually went into the apple store just to talk to some guys there on the real world experience and one thing not often mentioned is even if you get 60hz 4k there isnt HDCP on some of the cheaper hubs. Only the official apple dongle and caldigit sold at the store pass this apparently.

Sad to hear about the anker and satechi experience mentioned above if im honest since i usually have good experience with both brands. I noticed that the anker higher end ones basically mimic the caldigit feature set, and unfortunately the price as well.

Yes, my display at home is 100hz and the display at my office is 144hz. I am able to get both refresh rates at 1440 without any issues with this dock through HDMI. Have not had the best luck with Anker, Aukey and other hubs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.