Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 52.6%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 61 19.9%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 49 16.0%

• Total voters

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
You are probably right, they may not want to rush it and instead take the time to get everything right and bugs ironed out. I’m hoping the launch will be a success and no issues arise.

The Neo and Duo have potential to be great devices I think. The second I saw them in the keynote, my jaw dropped, which has never happened with a Microsoft product before!
That happened to me with the Surface Studio.:p

Reactions: Dave245

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
You are probably right, they may not want to rush it and instead take the time to get everything right and bugs ironed out. I’m hoping the launch will be a success and no issues arise.

The Neo and Duo have potential to be great devices I think. The second I saw them in the keynote, my jaw dropped, which has never happened with a Microsoft product before!
Your jaw surely dropped from the original surface pro launch!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
It's what started it all!

It’s what started the Surface range yes. I don’t recall saying the same thing about the Surface tho.

The Neo and Duo seem like devices that are the future, i was surprised that Microsoft worked on them and not Apple.

Queen6

macrumors G4
It seems the Microsoft of C.E.O is showing off the Surface Duo. I wonder what the hold up is on realising the Neo and Duo? if it's useable and the C.E.O. as well as Panos and others inside Microsoft are using these devices, even out in public then surely they must be nearly ready by now. So why do we have to wait until the end of this year in order to get our hands on them? :oops:

Probably just being impatient here :p

Likely not ready for public release and MS needs to get as many Dev's onboard as possible.

Q-6

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I am applying patience in using this Surface Pro. I get that some of my nitpicks come from habits etc.

Things I love:

The kickstand: This is great, will help my mobile posture too. Typing on screen is vastly improved and the various kickstand angles are wonderful.

The responsiveness: Obviously, the internals help.

More on the build quality: It feels solid. Yes, it's heavy but the kickstand mitigates some need for holding. I like that weight.

In my limited usage, W10 is not bad.

I like using the SP7 and feel like there will be fewer disruptions as I learn more about Windows.

Keeping an open mind:

I am understanding what I should and should not do. Proceeding with caution, but also trying to slow down and respect that it will take time for me to become comfortable with W10.

Interestingly, I will have to use the type cover for some keyboard commands and probably need a mouse.

Concepts is good as a basic drawing app. Will not subscribe though.

Things I am bummed about:

Must be logged in all the time to use Office 365.

The lack of a Procreate drawing app*, and that most Windows art apps are subscription and/or in app purchase based.

The update hiccups occurred last night, but they sorted themselves out as the MS rep mentioned they would.

I see the W10 tablet limitations, but I knew that going in. It is true, no single device can do everything I want.

*I will have to learn Corel Painter, Affinity's software in tandem with a Wacom tablet, and/or devote myself to traditional drawing.

I will work on learning Windows. It's necessary now, and like most things requires patience and good humor to understand.

How is the battery life?
I am really tempted to get one but battery life reports are all over the place.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
7 hours is more than enough. I'll using it for office, note taking and web browsing primarily.

PS
After 8 months with the Surface Studio 2 I am very pleased with it (using it for photo editing and casual gaming).
Its louder than I like but, its a compromise willing to make due to its size.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
After 8 months with the Surface Studio 2 I am very pleased with it (using it for photo editing and casual gaming).
Its louder than I like but, its a compromise willing to make due to its size.
I still want one so much.

What would be really cool is if they released the same touch/pen display on the same tilt arm, but without the CPU -- just a Microsoft Surface connector into which one could plug in a Surface laptop, Surface Pro or Surface Book. That I would buy for my SB2 in a heartbeat.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Man, I would love to get a display like the one in the Studio without the PC attached to it

Why is no one making anything like that :(

Reactions: kazmac and c0ppo

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
With the Surface Duo and Surface Neo coming holiday this year (unless it gets delayed) I wonder if a Surface Book 3 will be announced before hand, perhaps at an event?

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
With the Surface Duo and Surface Neo coming holiday this year (unless it gets delayed) I wonder if a Surface Book 3 will be announced before hand, perhaps at an event?

I am certainly anticipating the SB3 before we see the Duo/Neo. That is a rumor via an MS employee that should be taken as unreliable.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I am certainly anticipating the SB3 before we see the Duo/Neo. That is a rumor via an MS employee that should be taken as unreliable.

it will be interesting to see if there are any design updates to the SB3. Maybe they will announce it at an event in October, alongside the Surface Duo and Neo with release dates, pricing and more info!

Reactions: LeeW

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
It would be a mistake to ship the SB3 with the Nvidia 1660Ti. Nvidia's Ampere are rumored to be very good with over 50% performance increase and half the wattage. They may not release the mobile variants until next year, but maybe they can get away with the desktop version in the base with better cooling.

Been watching a lot of videos of the Neo and Duo. I'm due for a new iPad Pro, but I might wait to see how the Neo performs. Even the Duo intrigues me, just wish it was Win10X and emulated Android apps, rather than being a pure Android device.

Reactions: kazmac and Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Been watching a lot of videos of the Neo and Duo. I'm due for a new iPad Pro, but I might wait to see how the Neo performs. Even the Duo intrigues me, just wish it was Win10X and emulated Android apps, rather than being a pure Android device.

That's exactly what i'm doing, i'm due an update to my iPad Pro (i think the touch issue is coming to my iPad Pro 2017 replacement :() I have watched and re-watched the Neo and Duo announcements and videos, they both look like great devices. I'm going to wait until they are released and reviewed for a while before i make my decision. I would like the software to be really good before i buy and to also have a great range of apps available for both Neo and Duo.

I'm also not sure if the Neo and Duo will be available in the U.K (where i'm from) at launch. Neo and Duo are both mentioned on the US Microsoft Surface page, however nothing is mentioned on the U.K page :(

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Really interesting take on the future of Surface from Paul Thurrott (it’s behind a pay wall but can be circumvented due to the ability to view 3 free articles a month): https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/229261/should-we-be-worried-about-surface

Even in a down quarter, the Mac managed to generate almost 4 times the revenue of the Surface line, which competes in the same price segment. It’s interesting that despite a much greater evolution of the Surface product mix, Microsoft seems unable to grow the business.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Really interesting take on the future of Surface from Paul Thurrott (it’s behind a pay wall but can be circumvented due to the ability to view 3 free articles a month): https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/229261/should-we-be-worried-about-surface

Even in a down quarter, the Mac managed to generate almost 4 times the revenue of the Surface line, which competes in the same price segment. It’s interesting that despite a much greater evolution of the Surface product mix, Microsoft seems unable to grow the business.

Microsoft doesn’t have that “Apple Status & Mystique”...

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Does Apple?

Seriously, less people are buying Macs, and given their problems over the last several years, I'm not sure how much mystique is left ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mystique has been replaced with bafflement over Apple's sad deterioration with regards to quality control, workmanship, caring about the customer, transparency, coherent choice of both hardware and software features etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.