Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 53.0%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 61 20.1%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 47 15.5%

• Total voters

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I'm also waiting to see what Microsoft does with the Surface Book 3. A next gen Nvidia RTX or AMD GPU would be interesting.

I think 2020 might be the year I get at least one surface device.
I was surprised they didn't released it last year with the other machines... It's due a refresh for sure!

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I am debating a Surface Pro right now to carry me over and dip my toes into Windows, but the Neo would be a wonderful iPad alternative and perfect for my commutes. I need to be using Android awhile before considering a Duo though.

The nice thing is there are good alternatives to Apple now.

And, yes, I still want a Surface Studio.

I‘m currently thinking that I might try and let this 2017 iPad Pro last me until the Neo is released later this year. If I like the finished product and it gets good reviews without any issues like the Samsung Fold had, I will buy one. The same with the Duo, although I can hold off a little more on the Duo since I brought the iPhone 11 Pro Max at launch.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I've been really intrigued with the Surface Pro X. If MS decided to make one with an Intel 10th gen CPU, I would buy that over the new 11" iPad Pro I've been waiting for. I doubt they go down that route since they want to gain some traction with Windows on ARM.

The Neo and Duo are really interesting. I have to say I questioned why Microsoft would want to show both devices so early before any release date, but now they have me second guessing whether I should buy an iPad or not.

I'm also waiting to see what Microsoft does with the Surface Book 3. A next gen Nvidia RTX or AMD GPU would be interesting.

I think 2020 might be the year I get at least one surface device.

MS wants to get Devs onboard and what better away than such very a public statement. Personally I'm onboard as long as MS delivers and of recent years they will. Mobile OS are what they are limited and restricted.

We need tools that work and right now Microsoft and it's OEM's have them in abundance, hence zero footprint with Apple that was once was 100%...

Q-6

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
MS wants to get Devs onboard and what better away than such very a public statement. Personally I'm onboard as long as MS delivers and of recent years they will. Mobile OS are what they are limited and restricted.

We need tools that work and right now Microsoft and it's OEM's have them in abundance, hence zero footprint with Apple that was once was 100%...

Q-6

What I find VERY interesting and at the same time disappointing (as an Apple fan and user), is that Microsoft has come out with the Surface Neo and Duo, devices that seem very Apple like and dare I say industry moving! I absolutely applaud Microsoft for this! But I’m left wondering why Apple haven’t done it?

I’m looking forward to seeing what both the Neo and the Duo will offer when the final devices launch.

Reactions: derekamoss

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
What I find VERY interesting and at the same time disappointing (as an Apple fan and user), is that Microsoft has come out with the Surface Neo and Duo, devices that seem very Apple like and dare I say industry moving! I absolutely applaud Microsoft for this! But I’m left wondering why Apple haven’t done it?

I’m looking forward to seeing what both the Neo and the Duo will offer when the final devices launch.

Apple is the old Microsoft. Afraid to do anything that will rock the boat to disrupt profits. So they cling on to what's working and make marginal changes just to keep things "fresh"

Microsoft just needs to make the hardware and make sure the software is optimized for it.

Queen6

macrumors G4

At this point after how Apple has dealt with the Mac I no longer care. As a longterm user and business owner there are far better options that deliver...

Q-6
[automerge]1578081558[/automerge]
Apple is the old Microsoft. Afraid to do anything that will rock the boat to disrupt profits. So they cling on to what's working and make marginal changes just to keep things "fresh"

Microsoft just needs to make the hardware and make sure the software is optimized for it.

Very true, Apple is paralysed by it's own inaction; locked down, locked in products will be it's downfall.

Q-6

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013

Well if Microsoft can do this right with the Neo and Duo, if they can deliver it then they could very well have a BIG hit on their hands.

Reactions: Queen6 and raqball

Queen6

macrumors G4
Well if Microsoft can do this right with the Neo and Duo, if they can deliver it then they could very well have a BIG hit on their hands.

Hopefully as they both look promising, MS is on a good trajectory; new products, listing to the customer, and adventurous. Meanwhile at Apple they finally fixed the keyboard on one model of Mac after four years of disaster and made OS X worse...

Q-6

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Hopefully as they both look promising, MS is on a good trajectory; new products, listing to the customer, and adventurous. Meanwhile at Apple they finally fixed the keyboard on one model of Mac after four years of disaster and made OS X worse...

Q-6

Well i can tell you that IF Microsoft release the Neo and Duo without issue (Samsung Galaxy Fold springs to mind) I will be buying one. The thing is, there are rumours that Apple will be announcing a new iPad Pro in or around March-June time. For the first time ever, i'm contemplating on waiting it out and seeing what the Neo and Duo are really like. Yes me an Apple fan, is actually thinking of passing over an Apple product for that of Microsoft.

The thing is if i'm thinking it, how many others are also? :eek:

Do i like my iPhone 11 Pro Max, yes! BUT it's nothing really new, still the same IOS with no major updates to looks or features. The Duo looks like it could be a great device. If i did get a Duo, i would continue to use my iPhone alongside it as it's a new phone, but if the Duo turned out to be great and i liked it, i would use the iPhone less and less until the point came where the Duo was the only device i used. My only issue is my Apple Watch, you have to have an iPhone in order for it to work (especially mine as it's wifi only).

I truly believe interesting times are coming. OR i could be completely wrong, the Neo and Duo get plagued with issues and it becomes a flop. Only time will tell, but i'm really rooting for Microsoft on these devices!

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Well i can tell you that IF Microsoft release the Neo and Duo with issue (Samsung Galaxy Fold stings to mind) I will be buying one. The thing is, there are rumours that Apple will be announcing a new iPad Pro in or around March-June time. For the first time ever, i'm contemplating on waiting it out and seeing what the Neo and Duo are really like. Yes me an Apple fan, is actually thinking of passing over an Apple product for that of Microsoft.

The thing if i'm thinking it, how many others are also? :eek:

Do i like my iPhone 11 Pro Max, yes! BUT it's nothing really new, still the same IOS with no major updates to looks or features. The Duo looks like it could be a great device. If i did get a Duo, i would continue to use my iPhone alongside it as it's a new phone, but if the Duo turned out to be great and i liked it, i would use the iPhone less and less until the point came where the Duo was the only device i used. My only issue is my Apple Watch, you have to have an iPhone in order for it to work (especially mine as it's wifi only).

I truly believe interesting times are coming. OR i could be completely wrong, the Neo and Duo get plagued with issues and it becomes a flop. Only time will tell, but i'm really rooting for Microsoft on these devices!

That's pretty much my story with the Mac, as Apple produced less competent and reliable notebooks I was simply forced to look at other alternatives or live with aging hardware. Used to be all Apple, today zero as without the Mac there is no incentive to replace phones and tablets with similar IOS devices.

Apple only really serves Apple and it shows. If your needs fall out of what Apple believes you should have then your out of luck, nor does Apple care to fix issues in a timely manner or worry about hacking off a segment of it's customers as Apple is now such a juggernaut.

Apple has undoubtedly done a tremendous job at growing the company, and will continue to do so, equally there have been casualties on the way. Apple is all about making $ and will look to focus on the most profitable sectors the Mac not being one, nor a priority...

Q-6

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
That's pretty much my story with the Mac, as Apple produced less competent and reliable notebooks I was simply forced to look at other alternatives or live with aging hardware. Used to be all Apple, today zero as without the Mac there is no incentive to replace phones and tablets with similar IOS devices.

Apple only really serves Apple and it shows. If your needs fall out of what Apple believes you should have then your out of luck, nor does Apple care to fix issues in a timely manner or worry about hacking off a segment of it's customers as Apple is now such a juggernaut.

Apple has undoubtedly done a tremendous job at growing the company, and will continue to do so, equally there have been casualties on the way. Apple is all about making $ and will look to focus on the most profitable sectors the Mac not being one, nor a priority...

Q-6

The problem is that Apple have competition now. I’ve never been a big fan of Android, simply because I had a Samsung S4 many years ago and it was laggy and buggy. i have heard that Android devices (including Samsungs S and Note series) are a lot better.

Apple use to have the best software on top of great hardware, however releases over the last couple of years (IOS 13 was very bug ridden) have not been as good. It’s like Apple is loosing it’s shine.
I brought the AirPods Pro and I’ve had software issues. For example when opening the case it shows an AirPod at 1% and then it will change back up to 100% before dropping back down, it‘s happened a couple of times before going back to being fine.

Reactions: derekamoss

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....

Q-6

Exactly. That is my experience too.

Q-6
I will add that I've used 16" MBP with a faulty keyboard (yes the keys got stuck) - another reason why I returned mine.

Only time will tell, but i'm really rooting for Microsoft on these devices!

Me too.

I stopped myself from buying a Surface Pro today: iPP pricing and trying to wait for the Neo.

I really wish Apple would work on fixing their hardware and software, but that is water under the bridge.

Microsoft is creating some great hardware (smaller Surface Studio with modern components please, MS). I am rooting for them and look forward to diving in.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
The problem is that Apple have competition now. I’ve never been a big fan of Android, simply because I had a Samsung S4 many years ago and it was laggy and buggy. i have heard that Android devices (including Samsungs S and Note series) are a lot better.

Apple use to have the best software on top of great hardware, however releases over the last couple of years (IOS 13 was very bug ridden) have not been as good. It’s like Apple is loosing it’s shine.
I brought the AirPods Pro and I’ve had software issues. For example when opening the case it shows an AirPod at 1% and then it will change back up to 100% before dropping back down, it‘s happened a couple of times before going back to being fine.

Both my phones are now Huawei Mate 10 & 10 Pro respectively, still have no real big reason to change although am considering now, equally not bound to any specific brand. Did look at the Mate 30 & Mate 30 Pro which are high contenders given the amount of abuse the Mate 10 has suffered with no ill effects. Cameras are now a big jump so starting to consider new, as better zoom, wide angel etc. are all advantageous for me.

Android is good enough for me not to want to return to iPhone, or it could be said that iPhone simply isn't compelling enough to warrant a change. Been through iPads & Android tablets, latter works a little better as direct access to file system. These days I far prefer a W10 UMPC as has the footprint of an 8" Android tablet with all the versatility of a desktop OS and a full 360 degree 2in1.

The UMPC I don't need to worry about application capability, endless app updates, floppy keyboard cases, hardware incompatibility, limited pheriferals as it simply works as a full fledged PC or W10 tablet as needed with full pen & touch support. Obviously not a powerhouse, equally gets the job done and outstrips it's mobile OS counterparts by a wide margin for my needs on the go.

Music I devolved from Apple long time back as I prefer my music physically on my hardware and playback where and when I choose without any specific online client, have a couple of very decent digital audio players (DAP) and equivalent in ear monitors (IEM), no clicking, no buzzing, no notifications, no calls just quality music and that's exactly what I want. If really needing to use the phone I can always tether the devices. A Portable DAP with THX is now a thing and offers the blackest, darkest background imaginable even with sensitive IEM's, absolute silence.

Thankfully some OEM's still want to rise above and illustrate the very best they can possibly do, while at the same time offer the customer value for money. Something Apple has long since forgotten. FiiO's M11 Pro is an outstanding DAP and you will pay a significant premium to surpass it, depending on taste. FiiO's upcoming M15 DAP is a given as the customer/vendor relationship is solid...

New Huawei/Devialet collaboration smart speaker is simply impressive for it's size and certified as a HiRes unit. Listened to one today, very impressed even in a noisy environment.

Thought for a long time now Apple is no better than it's direct competitors, Apple is just smarter at placating the customer thx to it's customer service and physical stores.

Q-6

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Thought for a long time now Apple is no better than it's direct competitors, Apple is just smarter at placating the customer thx to it's customer service and physical stores.

Q-6

The only real things Apple has going for it that I miss are continuity and handoff.. Many stick with Apple just for iMessages but I've never really cared about it....

There are continuity and handoff alternatives on the Win / Android side but none as seamless and integrated...

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
The only real things Apple has going for it that I miss are continuity and handoff.. Many stick with Apple just for iMessages but I've never really cared about it....

There are continuity and handoff alternatives on the Win / Android side but none as seamless and integrated...
WhatsApp Is far bigger than iMessage

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
WhatsApp Is far bigger than iMessage
I personally find iMessage to be more of a pain in the backside than of any real benefit. Had it on when I first switched to iPhone and had so many problems with messages getting lost and finding them later on other devices. Don't think its ideal at all unless maybe you're covered with perfect 4G signal 24/7. WhatsApp is much better in this regard because it doesn't block regular SMS in situations where that's more appropriate.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
As I am thinking that newly announced ConceptD 7 Ezel will be my iMac replacement, I bought a SP7 this morning as my starter W10 machine. With the Windows 10 training at my job this Monday (instead of March), I figured it was the smart thing to do (and I'd rather not have two laptops around).

The Microsoft store rep was great and saved me at least $250 on everything.

And psst, Microsoft will price match Amazon's sales (The MS product has to say shipped from Amazon not a third party seller).

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I am applying patience in using this Surface Pro. I get that some of my nitpicks come from habits etc.

Things I love:

The kickstand: This is great, will help my mobile posture too. Typing on screen is vastly improved and the various kickstand angles are wonderful.

The responsiveness: Obviously, the internals help.

More on the build quality: It feels solid. Yes, it's heavy but the kickstand mitigates some need for holding. I like that weight.

In my limited usage, W10 is not bad.

I like using the SP7 and feel like there will be fewer disruptions as I learn more about Windows.

Keeping an open mind:

I am understanding what I should and should not do. Proceeding with caution, but also trying to slow down and respect that it will take time for me to become comfortable with W10.

Interestingly, I will have to use the type cover for some keyboard commands and probably need a mouse.

Concepts is good as a basic drawing app. Will not subscribe though.

Things I am bummed about:

Must be logged in all the time to use Office 365.

The lack of a Procreate drawing app*, and that most Windows art apps are subscription and/or in app purchase based.

The update hiccups occurred last night, but they sorted themselves out as the MS rep mentioned they would.

I see the W10 tablet limitations, but I knew that going in. It is true, no single device can do everything I want.

*I will have to learn Corel Painter, Affinity's software in tandem with a Wacom tablet, and/or devote myself to traditional drawing.

I will work on learning Windows. It's necessary now, and like most things requires patience and good humor to understand.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I am applying patience in using this Surface Pro. I get that some of my nitpicks come from habits etc.

Things I love:

The kickstand: This is great, will help my mobile posture too. Typing on screen is vastly improved and the various kickstand angles are wonderful.

The responsiveness: Obviously, the internals help.

More on the build quality: It feels solid. Yes, it's heavy but the kickstand mitigates some need for holding. I like that weight.

In my limited usage, W10 is not bad.

I like using the SP7 and feel like there will be fewer disruptions as I learn more about Windows.

Keeping an open mind:

I am understanding what I should and should not do. Proceeding with caution, but also trying to slow down and respect that it will take time for me to become comfortable with W10.

Interestingly, I will have to use the type cover for some keyboard commands and probably need a mouse.

Concepts is good as a basic drawing app. Will not subscribe though.

Things I am bummed about:

Must be logged in all the time to use Office 365.

The lack of a Procreate drawing app*, and that most Windows art apps are subscription and/or in app purchase based.

The update hiccups occurred last night, but they sorted themselves out as the MS rep mentioned they would.

I see the W10 tablet limitations, but I knew that going in. It is true, no single device can do everything I want.

*I will have to learn Corel Painter, Affinity's software in tandem with a Wacom tablet, and/or devote myself to traditional drawing.

I will work on learning Windows. It's necessary now, and like most things requires patience and good humor to understand.
Keep positive and relaxed. It takes some time to adapt to a new system. You don't want to be ditching the SP7 and buying yet another Apple product. You must be getting dizzy with the frequent back and forth ?. Think back to when you had to learn other new things and how simple it seemed after the fact. Best of luck.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
I just got a Surface Pro 7 after my trusty old Macbook Pro died. I wanted to get another Macbook pro but then I remembered my experience with the new model at work. That thing was literally the worst computer I ever owned. It never went to sleep when I closed the cover. The battery would drain constantly. It overheated so much I actually burned my hands. And it always crashed. And the dongles. Oh my. Apple forcing the USB-C as the only port is hell for teachers like me who have to hook up to old school projectors and white boards.

I do miss MacOS (IMO) the chief reason to get a Mac but have no complaints about the Surface Pro. In the future I MIGHT get a baseline Macbook Air because I do miss the ease of photo and video editing on a Mac. But Windows has many programs that do video editing nowadays so I might not even need it.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
It seems the Microsoft of C.E.O is showing off the Surface Duo. I wonder what the hold up is on realising the Neo and Duo? if it's useable and the C.E.O. as well as Panos and others inside Microsoft are using these devices, even out in public then surely they must be nearly ready by now. So why do we have to wait until the end of this year in order to get our hands on them? :oops:

Probably just being impatient here :p

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It seems the Microsoft of C.E.O is showing off the Surface Duo. I wonder what the hold up is on realising the Neo and Duo? if it's useable and the C.E.O. as well as Panos and others inside Microsoft are using these devices, even out in public then surely they must be nearly ready by now. So why do we have to wait until the end of this year in order to get our hands on them? :oops:

Probably just being impatient here :p

Probably want to make sure it's flawless and allow the software ecosystem to fill in a bit before launch - the latter certainly has hamstrung them a bit in the past. Sounds like these are big things the company desperately wants/ needs to be a roaring success.

Reactions: kazmac and Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Probably want to make sure it's flawless and allow the software ecosystem to fill in a bit before launch - the latter certainly has hamstrung them a bit in the past. Sounds like these are big things the company desperately wants/ needs to be a roaring success.

You are probably right, they may not want to rush it and instead take the time to get everything right and bugs ironed out. I’m hoping the launch will be a success and no issues arise.

The Neo and Duo have potential to be great devices I think. The second I saw them in the keynote, my jaw dropped, which has never happened with a Microsoft product before!

Reactions: Falhófnir
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.