Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Guys guys. Stop arguing. Just admit you are annoyed that OP is switching to Android 😄

To your original question OP if secure biometrics is real concern to you, you might wan’t to stick with Apple. Imho. Not sure if those are secure enough on any Android phone. Others feel free to correct me.
Pretty sure the OP isn’t seriously considering a switch. Their posting attitude and history are indicative of that.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
OP, I hope the device you chose and switch was better for you.

TL;DR I tried switching to a Pixel 6. Ran into issues galore with random reboots, missed phone calls, issues with messages (that was my mistake for not disconnecting iCloud Messaging). However, the device (Pixel 6) was snappy, but left a lot to be desired. Games that ran buttery smooth on iOS didn't on a brand new just barely released Pixel device. Photos weren't that great, in fact, the camera on my iPhone 12 mini looked better than it.

Other than those minor complaints, it was nice. It took some time to get used to, like lack of gestures, but it worked really well.

Remember, there's a lot of Android devices, so the Pixel 6 may not have been for me. Hopefully you got one that suits all your needs. Hope you're still active on the forums.

Chidoro

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Only one I would consider is the Sony Xperia 1 IV. It's a flagship device. I would switch from my 14 PM for it, but it would be the one if I had to.
The camera isn’t great though. Or at least whatever Sony is doing with the processing.
Agree to disagree

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Apple don’t control this, your network provider does. I sometimes get 3 scam calls a day on my iPhone and can’t report them anywhere because iOS doesn’t have this ability.
You can control on device by doing block unknown callers. They have similar on Android too, and I get no spam. The one thing I like about iPhone better is they have the VM tab in the phone app. Why is it separate on Android??

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yeah, so there was some weird glitch where Google Pay would keep scrolling when I would scroll through my cards. Like I couldn't stop it. Had to wait till it got the last card and then scroll back to the beginning. That wasn't just a one time thing either, it happened multiple times. That was strike 1. I didn't like the always available pay. Meaning you didn't have to unlock the phone to pay. Not a big fan of that. Also I didn't like the horizontal scroll.
vs Apply Pay it worked seamlessly always. It has never glitched on me ever. Unless it was user error at the POS terminal. I like the vertical scroll better. And I like the double click the power button and unlock before you can make a purchase. To me it just felt more seamless and worked without any issues. And the steps to use it for me seemed relatively quick. And maybe it's user error, but it never seemed to register the payment right away. I had to repeat it. I rarely had that issue on Apple Pay. This was also more than one occasion that happened.
I wouldn't like it to just pay without verification either, but how did it get like that. Mine used to make me unlock the device. Now it also wants me to unlock GPay

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Is this a special order feature on a flagship Android?
Knocking on wood, but my Z Flip has been better than when I previously did Android. It only took until around mid-December for 13 when everywhere said by end of November. Much better than Android coming soon.........with S8+ before we returned to Apple

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Is this a special order feature on a flagship Android?
No 24 months of updates are a Google minimum requirement.

Most flagship devices get 3 years of OS updates and 5 years of security updates.

Samsung flagship devices get 4 years of OS updates and 5 years of security updates.

Pixel devices get a minimum of 5 years of security updates and 3 years of OS updates. Hopefully since Google is now using it's own custom silicon it can do better.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Why is it separate on Android??
It isn't separate on my Pixel...
Screenshot_20230107-172115.png

Reactions: compwiz1202

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Which Android device would you recommend as the best-in-class iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB killer?
I want the absolute best of the best.
It needs to be supported with updates for at least 24 months.
It needs best-in-class camera system.
It needs best-in-class performance.
It needs best-in-class battery runtimes.
It needs secure face unlocking and touch authentication.

What do you recommend I go buy tomorrow?
I love everything about my iphone 14 Pro Max except for the fact something about the display has dramatically negatively impacted my neurological health. Since iphone 13 Pro to now, something Apple is doing with their displays has so severely sensitized me that I can't use phones I was able to use previously, like my much loved iphone 12 mini and my pixel 6 Pro.

In fact, I can't even use LCD iPhones anymore. I have no idea what is causing any of this. I'm not alone. There aren't statistically speaking many of us suffering like this, but there are some. As Apple enthusiasts we've really struggled with finding alternatives we can live with and love as much as the latest and greatest iPhones.

I've been relying on my Samsung S 22 Ultra. It's an excellent phone. It's very versatile. Most importantly, it doesn't make me suffer neurological symptoms like dizziness, speech problems (aphasia), migraine seizures, migraine headaches, generalized eye pain and eye strain.

Still, I do prefer iOS. I am practically hostage to iMessage. I love Apple Pay. I find authentication via Face ID a seamless and smooth experience for most online transactions.

But I need to put my health first so I'm actually thinking of finally making the switch and putting my main phone number to my Samsung. I'll be spending some time looking into making this transition. I'm not thrilled about this. I'm an Apple girl at heart almost like i Justine.

The answer to your inquiry is there isn't an Android that can meet all of your criteria. I wish there were.

Conversely, I wish there were an iPhone that could meet my one modest request to not caused me neurological suffering. This all started for me with iphone X and has been snowballing since then.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks is it just Samsung or just Z Flip. I have to go in the app drawer to get to it unless I get one and go through the notification

Doesn't press and hold of 1 on the number pad in the phone app take you to voicemail?

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I'm not switching, but figured this would be a good thread to piggy back on instead of making a new one.

I'm adding a Samsung S20 Ultra to go along with my iPhone 13 Pro. I just decided I need to have an Android phone along with iPhone.

Here's why.

First, because I need to have a backup phone. I work from home and my phone is crucial. The other morning I woke up and my iPhone battery was dead. At first I thought it was really dead and it hit me I had no fallback. Second, I've gone back and forth between iPhone and Android multiple times for the typical reasons. Might as well just embrace the fact that I like them both for different reasons and use each for their strengths. iPhone for iMessage, sharing pictures with family with AirDrop and Apple Watch. Android for just the freedom to do whatever I want on my phone.

So I'm buying a refurbished S20 Ultra for $300 on Amazon. Arriving tomorrow.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I'm not switching, but figured this would be a good thread to piggy back on instead of making a new one.

I'm adding a Samsung S20 Ultra to go along with my iPhone 13 Pro. I just decided I need to have an Android phone along with iPhone.

Here's why.

First, because I need to have a backup phone. I work from home and my phone is crucial. The other morning I woke up and my iPhone battery was dead. At first I thought it was really dead and it hit me I had no fallback. Second, I've gone back and forth between iPhone and Android multiple times for the typical reasons. Might as well just embrace the fact that I like them both for different reasons and use each for their strengths. iPhone for iMessage, sharing pictures with family with AirDrop and Apple Watch. Android for just the freedom to do whatever I want on my phone.

So I'm buying a refurbished S20 Ultra for $300 on Amazon. Arriving tomorrow.
Not a bad idea. I have always liked using multiple platforms.

Had a iPhone Pro Max 13 and it was one of the best phones I have ever had. I am giving iOS a break for a while but I am sure I will be back!

Hope your refurbished ultra works out!

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Not a bad idea. I have always liked using multiple platforms.

Had a iPhone Pro Max 13 and it was one of the best phones I have ever had. I am giving iOS a break for a while but I am sure I will be back!

Hope your refurbished ultra works out!

Got the phone, but unfortunately none of the haptics work at all. So.....will have to send it back. This is why you thoroughly test all aspects of a refurb. If they say it is "like new" then make sure it really is.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Got the phone, but unfortunately none of the haptics work at all. So.....will have to send it back. This is why you thoroughly test all aspects of a refurb. If they say it is "like new" then make sure it really is.
I agree about testing out all electronics refurbished and new.

That being said maybe getting a newer device would be a better idea. S20 is a bit old now and going to lose updates soon.

If you want Android why not get a Pixel 7? Or 7 Pro. Wait for another sale?

Or wait for the Pixel 7a? Or get a Pixel 6a?

If you really want Samsung then why not an s22 plus or regular s22. Sale prices should be good with the s23 coming out in a couple days.

I know it is tempting to get a deluxe older model for cheap but a three year old refurbished phone is really just a used phone. You get a small warranty if anything at all and the chances of failure on a 3 year old phone is much higher. You don't know how the previous owner took care of the device and if it were ever dropped or how many times?

Alternatively you might check Swappa. There might be a mint device for cheap. Might be a better option than Amazon refurbished?

I personally would only buy a new device because I would want a warranty. If you have any old Samsung products you might be able to do a trade in deal.

Sorry about your experience.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I agree about testing out all electronics refurbished and new.

That being said maybe getting a newer device would be a better idea. S20 is a bit old now and going to lose updates soon.

If you want Android why not get a Pixel 7? Or 7 Pro. Wait for another sale?

Or wait for the Pixel 7a? Or get a Pixel 6a?

If you really want Samsung then why not an s22 plus or regular s22. Sale prices should be good with the s23 coming out in a couple days.

I know it is tempting to get a deluxe older model for cheap but a three year old refurbished phone is really just a used phone. You get a small warranty if anything at all and the chances of failure on a 3 year old phone is much higher. You don't know how the previous owner took care of the device and if it were ever dropped or how many times?

Alternatively you might check Swappa. There might be a mint device for cheap. Might be a better option than Amazon refurbished?

I personally would only buy a new device because I would want a warranty. If you have any old Samsung products you might be able to do a trade in deal.

Sorry about your experience.

I think I'm going to bump up to a S21+ rather than the S20 Ultra. Minor differences between the two but a little newer. I get what you are saying, but I just don't want to invest a lot in a second phone. I will definitely check out swappa though and see what's out there. I appreciate the advice.

Edit: One of the reasons I'm only looking at Samsung is they still have the ability for video out from USB-C. I used that from time to time on a dumb TV.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I think I'm going to bump up to a S21+ rather than the S20 Ultra. Minor differences between the two but a little newer. I get what you are saying, but I just don't want to invest a lot in a second phone. I will definitely check out swappa though and see what's out there. I appreciate the advice.

Edit: One of the reasons I'm only looking at Samsung is they still have the ability for video out from USB-C. I used that from time to time on a dumb TV.
I like Samsung, don't get me wrong. I have almost always had some Samsung tablet, phone, and or buds throughout the years.

A lot of people love to hate Samsung and to some degree deservedly so but they make excellent devices and have for a long time.

An S21 plus would be a nice phone but just for curiosity you might want to also check out a used s22 plus. Who knows you might find a great deal?

Good luck hunting down a good and cheap back up phone!

Just a few words of advice regarding backup phones. I know it is tempting to go super cheap since it is just a backup phone until it isn't.

I had my primary phone get lost, stolen or broken I don't exactly remember and I had a similar mentality. I had a cheap Xiaomi or Samsung a series phone as my backup. Well I didn't have any insurance on my primary phone and I was in a financial situation where I couldn't just buy a new phone for a while. So the backup phone ended up being my primary for several months.

Needless to say after that I didn't cheap out as much again. Obviously we all have different budgets and my backup does cost less than my primary phone but I have to have a decent backup phone too.

My s22 plus is my backup phone. Before I got my Pixel 7 Pro I had an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I had a credit from Samsung and I had a Samsung Galaxy S20FE I got free from a T mobile Promotion. So I used the credit and trade in and paid $280 for the s22 plus. It could serve as my primary any day just like the s20FE did before it and I would feel fine using it as my primary phone.

My point is that if you can find sales, get promotions or even trade in a cheap used Samsung phone later you can then keep trading in for the price of a budget to mid range phone and always have a good flagship.

You might even think of it this way. If you can get an S20 ultra for $300 and then get a trade in credit for say $600 on a new s23 ultra or plus you basically got an extra $300 off doing nothing, then you could have a great backup phone that is current and be happy to use for the next few years. Then if you ever had a issue with your primary iPhone you would have a backup that would be as nice in the Android world.

Obviously buying the new phone even with a trade would cost significantly more than the used price range you are looking at you would have a new phone, a warranty and still paid a lot less than you would have any other way. Of course sometimes cheap is good enough.

Samsung a series phones are also really nice depending on the model and that might be another option to explore?

Another final idea is a carrier locked phone. Sometimes the offers are pretty good. You might be able to get a completely free s22 model of your choice or maybe even an s23. Sometimes any trade in phone will work. Sometimes no trade is even needed. It sucks having a device that is locked but generally you can get them unlocked after your contract is up or just trade it in later for an unlocked phone.

Just trying to give you some ideas you may not have already considered.

Reactions: TopherMan12

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I like Samsung, don't get me wrong. I have almost always had some Samsung tablet, phone, and or buds throughout the years.

A lot of people love to hate Samsung and to some degree deservedly so but they make excellent devices and have for a long time.

An S21 plus would be a nice phone but just for curiosity you might want to also check out a used s22 plus. Who knows you might find a great deal?

Good luck hunting down a good and cheap back up phone!

Just a few words of advice regarding backup phones. I know it is tempting to go super cheap since it is just a backup phone until it isn't.

I had my primary phone get lost, stolen or broken I don't exactly remember and I had a similar mentality. I had a cheap Xiaomi or Samsung a series phone as my backup. Well I didn't have any insurance on my primary phone and I was in a financial situation where I couldn't just buy a new phone for a while. So the backup phone ended up being my primary for several months.

Needless to say after that I didn't cheap out as much again. Obviously we all have different budgets and my backup does cost less than my primary phone but I have to have a decent backup phone too.

My s22 plus is my backup phone. Before I got my Pixel 7 Pro I had an iPhone 13 Pro Max. I had a credit from Samsung and I had a Samsung Galaxy S20FE I got free from a T mobile Promotion. So I used the credit and trade in and paid $280 for the s22 plus. It could serve as my primary any day just like the s20FE did before it and I would feel fine using it as my primary phone.

My point is that if you can find sales, get promotions or even trade in a cheap used Samsung phone later you can then keep trading in for the price of a budget to mid range phone and always have a good flagship.

You might even think of it this way. If you can get an S20 ultra for $300 and then get a trade in credit for say $600 on a new s23 ultra or plus you basically got an extra $300 off doing nothing, then you could have a great backup phone that is current and be happy to use for the next few years. Then if you ever had a issue with your primary iPhone you would have a backup that would be as nice in the Android world.

Obviously buying the new phone even with a trade would cost significantly more than the used price range you are looking at you would have a new phone, a warranty and still paid a lot less than you would have any other way. Of course sometimes cheap is good enough.

Samsung a series phones are also really nice depending on the model and that might be another option to explore?

Another final idea is a carrier locked phone. Sometimes the offers are pretty good. You might be able to get a completely free s22 model of your choice or maybe even an s23. Sometimes any trade in phone will work. Sometimes no trade is even needed. It sucks having a device that is locked but generally you can get them unlocked after your contract is up or just trade it in later for an unlocked phone.

Just trying to give you some ideas you may not have already considered.

Good stuff man. I appreciate you taking the time to write all that out. Good advice for me and others who come around.

Reactions: Technerd108

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
The camera isn’t great though. Or at least whatever Sony is doing with the processing.

Oh I would completely disagree. The Sony cameras are the best of any android or iphone. It's pretty much the only one that doesn't go over the top with artificial sharpening and allows the images to look softer which looks much more pleasing to me. The colors are also unmatched - very natural. Plus no other app matches the Sony's camera app, not to mention the stepped shutter button!

Same with video:

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
@dumastudetto I would strongly suggest getting an Android with the latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chip. Qualcomm went back to TSMC for this (and for the 8+ Gen 1) and as a result it leaps and bounds ahead of the previous Samsung made ones in terms of performance and battery life. The 8 Gen 1 (purple line below) was released just over a year ago. The new Gen 2 is generations ahead.

Screenshot.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.