Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Yeah right. I am sure you happened to come to that conclusion based on answers here not already made before you even posted the question?

Why ask a question when you already know your opinion? You just wanted to bait people into an unwinnable debate based on your metrics.

Who needs all of the specs you quoted anyway. Seems overkill to me. But if you like spending almost $2k for a phone you better have the best right?

Some people don’t spend so much on phones but get an even better phone.

Does your iPhone screen your calls? How good is the speech to text? Can it isolate your voice from background noise during a call? I mean how good a phone is it? Maybe it has 1 tb of storage but best in class camera went to the Pixel 6a and Pixel 7 pro not to the iPhone. How is that optical zoom?

Best in class at what you think is important may not be best in class for everyone.

Your meager effort at trying to bait people into proving you have the best phone is pretty pathetic. But enjoy your phone you surely spent enough to have the “best”.

I posted my requirements. What do you recommend based on my needs? If there's something that can do what I want, I'm really interested in giving it a genuine shot.

Personally I think the Pixel phones could be quite interesting in most aspects, especially now it also has a watch and a new tablet experience is coming.

But I'm maybe a year to early so I could wait it out.

I am not trying to bait. I was genuinely interested in trying an Android for the first time since I owned a Sony Xperia S.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
for everyone else
my neighbors have Samsung™ and other phones and get spam calls constantly!

I have never received 1 spam call since July when I opened the iPhone box.
this is an example of how  does care about YOUR privacy
while other exclude this feature, except when advertising for android.
I get spam calls fairly frequently on iPhone. It’s nothing to do with the brand of phone you use. It’s more to do with the networks or where you give your number out to.

Reactions: arkitect

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
iPhone 14 Pro Max is the best in class for all those

It's not the best phone for battery life (based on objective testing done at various review sites), and best camera is arguable. At least a couple of Android phones could be argued to have better camera.

But hard to argue that the iPhone doesn't have best performance, best update policy/implementation, and best biometrics (due to a secure face ID).

Reactions: -BigMac-

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
oh, I just went from a Kyocera flip 2001-2005 to an iPhone in July so i'm rusty
but
seems to me that just from what I hear an observe  does have a stronger protection system.
furthermore, I never give my # out even at a store were I did not accept the 10% off not to submit my #.
maybe that is a good way to be left alone?
In the UK you can register your number with a regulated service that makes it illegal for companies to cold call you without permission.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
Which Android device would you recommend as the best-in-class iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB killer?
I want the absolute best of the best.
It needs to be supported with updates for at least 24 months.
It needs best-in-class camera system.
It needs best-in-class performance.
It needs best-in-class battery runtimes.
It needs secure face unlocking and touch authentication.

What do you recommend I go buy tomorrow?
If I was switching away from iPhone I’d either go with a Samsung or Google Pixel but probably lean more toward Pixel for purer Android experience.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I posted my requirements. What do you recommend based on my needs? If there's something that can do what I want, I'm really interested in giving it a genuine shot.

Personally I think the Pixel phones could be quite interesting in most aspects, especially now it also has a watch and a new tablet experience is coming.

But I'm maybe a year to early so I could wait it out.

I am not trying to bait. I was genuinely interested in trying an Android for the first time since I owned a Sony Xperia S.
I don't recommend anything.

If you were genuinely curious about moving to Android you would have asked the question differently because you would have already known the limitations and benefits to devices of both platforms.

iPhones can be amazing but so can Android phones. They are just different.

Some people would think an ultrasonic fingerprint scanner would be a better authentication method than FaceID.

So if you really want best in class get a z fold 4 1tb or wait for s23 ultra it may have a 1tb option, has ultrasonic fingerprint scanner and the best screen on the market.

Pixel phones are great but don't have what you say you are looking for.

Or just keep your iPhone 14 Pro Max. Why would you get an Android phone after you just spent top dollar on the highest configuration iPhone.

Maybe you just have a lot of money. If that is the case just pick a Samsung fold or wait for s23 ultra. Of course if you are asking a genuine question about moving to Android when you have the absolute best iPhone anyone can buy what does that say about your iPhone?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I get spam calls fairly frequently on iPhone. It’s nothing to do with the brand of phone you use. It’s more to do with the networks or where you give your number out to.
Actually if you have a Pixel 7 or 6 series probably even earlier it will tell you when you are getting a spam call. Then you can have it screen the call by answering it for you and translating the response in text so you can decide whether or not to answer.

Samsung is supposedly working on a similar feature and have implemented it in South Korea already.

• Wow
Reactions: 5105973

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I don't recommend anything.

If you were genuinely curious about moving to Android you would have asked the question differently because you would have already known the limitations and benefits to devices of both platforms.

iPhones can be amazing but so can Android phones. They are just different.

Some people would think an ultrasonic fingerprint scanner would be a better authentication method than FaceID.

So if you really want best in class get a z fold 4 1tb or wait for s23 ultra it may have a 1tb option, has ultrasonic fingerprint scanner and the best screen on the market.

Pixel phones are great but don't have what you say you are looking for.

Or just keep your iPhone 14 Pro Max. Why would you get an Android phone after you just spent top dollar on the highest configuration iPhone.

Maybe you just have a lot of money. If that is the case just pick a Samsung fold or wait for s23 ultra. Of course if you are asking a genuine question about moving to Android when you have the absolute best iPhone anyone can buy what does that say about your iPhone?

If I knew the limitations and benefits then I probably wouldn't have been asking the question in the first place. The only Android phone I have owned was released donkeys years ago (Sony Xperia S) and I hated it.

I framed the question the way I did because I could only come at it from an iPhone perspective. I'm sorry if that offended you.

Foldable phones are very interesting to me never tried one. I know the Samsung ones are pricey, but price isn't an issue really.

If the Pixels don't fit my needs then thanks for helping me cross those Google options off. I genuinely didn't know.

When is the next Samsung flagships coming out? Will there be a new foldable phone soon?

From what I understand, Samsung software is hugely improved these days, they support phones longer, and the hardware is generally top notch. I know Samsungs used to suffer massively from bloat, and duplicating Google's apps with uninstallable versions of their own, has that now stopped?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
If I knew the limitations and benefits then I probably wouldn't have been asking the question in the first place. The only Android phone I have owned was released donkeys years ago (Sony Xperia S) and I hated it.

I framed the question the way I did because I could only come at it from an iPhone perspective. I'm sorry if that offended you.

Foldable phones are very interesting to me never tried one. I know the Samsung ones are pricey, but price isn't an issue really.

If the Pixels don't fit my needs then thanks for helping me cross those Google options off. I genuinely didn't know.

When is the next Samsung flagships coming out? Will there be a new foldable phone soon?

From what I understand, Samsung software is hugely improved these days, they support phones longer, and the hardware is generally top notch. I know Samsungs used to suffer massively from bloat, and duplicating Google's apps with uninstallable versions of their own, has that now stopped?
I apologize if I read your post the wrong way.

Samsung still suffers from bloat but their software is much better than before.

The next gen Samsung s series phones should be released in February.

I prefer Pixel because Google prioritize features that actually make calling people work better. I like the clean version of Android. I like their approach on AI integration and the Tensor G2. They don't focus on bleeding edge but optimization and sustained workloads over burst performance. But they are trying to offer value because as a competitor to the likes of Apple and Samsung they need to undercut on price or no one will buy the phone. So Google has used components that are not the latest gen like using optical fingerprint sensor and a 10-120hz screen over a 1-120hz screen. At the end of the day it doesn't matter that the Tensor G2 is not as fast as a16 or the screen or fingerprint sensor. At the end of the day does it all work quickly together and reliably. There are features Pixel phones offer no other OEM or platform offer right now.

Samsung offers the absolute best hardware on Android devices and the s23 will have snapdragon 8 gen 2 which should be a serious upgrade from the 8 gen 1. Samsung also offers a lot of extra settings and configuration not offered on iOS or Pixels. Samsung is the only phone company to offer a stylus which you can use to sign documents and as a remote to take photos and much more. Samsung will offer 4 years of OS updates and 5 years of security updates.

Pixel offers 3 years OS updates and 5 years of security updates. However Pixel phones using Tensor chips technically could be supported much longer. Android updates are in part tied to Qualcomm as they would only support so many generations of Android. Now that Google is making their own chips they are not bound by this limitation any more.

Reactions: ozaz

Cancelled
Aug 3, 2022
Currently, only Sammy if you want a device that has a full package like iPhone (Screen, Performance, Camera, Features, etc.).

However, if you only look for a budget but smooth device without caring about things like high quality display, camera, etc., any 200$ devices with Snapdragon 810 and up are quite great.

I just play around with them, and they are even faster than my iPhone X with iOS 16.2.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
for everyone else

I have never received 1 spam call since July when I opened the iPhone box.
this is an example of how  does care about YOUR privacy
while other exclude this feature, except when advertising for android.
The only viable cause is that his phone number exposed to spam and marketing campaigns. You may register yourself to some business promo, and then find yourself getting SMS and calls from everywhere. Also, mobile service operator can sell database of live numbers to advertisers. There is no difference if you have iPhone, Samsung or monochrome Nokia.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The only viable cause is that his phone number exposed to spam and marketing campaigns. You may register yourself to some business promo, and then find yourself getting SMS and calls from everywhere. Also, mobile service operator can sell database of live numbers to advertisers. There is no difference if you have iPhone, Samsung or monochrome Nokia.
Going over 17 years without a phone in a pocket was great, got all too thing done!
My concern over having a phone was the spam calls.
seem to me now that the main reason why in the 78 phone call my phone received last year
and not 1 spam was
I simply never gave out my phone number to a store or service,
even recently I ate a 10% off at store last week by not giving my phone number to them.

therefore this is my experience,
and this might help those replies of how im not "smart" with "phones" jargon.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I apologize if I read your post the wrong way.

Samsung still suffers from bloat but their software is much better than before.

The next gen Samsung s series phones should be released in February.

I prefer Pixel because Google prioritize features that actually make calling people work better. I like the clean version of Android. I like their approach on AI integration and the Tensor G2. They don't focus on bleeding edge but optimization and sustained workloads over burst performance. But they are trying to offer value because as a competitor to the likes of Apple and Samsung they need to undercut on price or no one will buy the phone. So Google has used components that are not the latest gen like using optical fingerprint sensor and a 10-120hz screen over a 1-120hz screen. At the end of the day it doesn't matter that the Tensor G2 is not as fast as a16 or the screen or fingerprint sensor. At the end of the day does it all work quickly together and reliably. There are features Pixel phones offer no other OEM or platform offer right now.

Samsung offers the absolute best hardware on Android devices and the s23 will have snapdragon 8 gen 2 which should be a serious upgrade from the 8 gen 1. Samsung also offers a lot of extra settings and configuration not offered on iOS or Pixels. Samsung is the only phone company to offer a stylus which you can use to sign documents and as a remote to take photos and much more. Samsung will offer 4 years of OS updates and 5 years of security updates.

Pixel offers 3 years OS updates and 5 years of security updates. However Pixel phones using Tensor chips technically could be supported much longer. Android updates are in part tied to Qualcomm as they would only support so many generations of Android. Now that Google is making their own chips they are not bound by this limitation any more.
No need to apologise-I read it exactly the same way which was why I said for the OP to stick with the iPhone.

Reactions: arkitect

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
I'm replying to the person talking about spam calls. All you have to do is set your focus status to who you want to receive calls or texts from and the apps you want notifications from. I haven't had robocalls or spam calls in a while. :apple:😀😁

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

Looking at your signature, it seems to me you are deeply integrated into the Apple ecosystem. I think the most important thing for you to consider is whether you want to break that integration - if you switch your phone to Android you'll lose things from your phone like Apple photos integration, iMessage, Facetime, Airdrop, continuity, handoff etc

None of that stuff matters to me. But it might be very important to you.

I reckon this kind of consideration is far more important than hardware specs or general aspects of software. You can get great hardware specs and nice software on both iOS and Android.

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I simply never gave out my phone number to a store or service,
even recently I ate a 10% off at store last week by not giving my phone number to them.

This is a completely logical and believable explanation for why you don't get spam calls. But your original claim was that it was because you use an iPhone.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
All those talking about spam calls on iOS…

Am I the only one who uses Silence Unknown Callers on my phone? I get no spam calls (until I have to turn it off for a doctor or someone calling).

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
for everyone else
Google's Call Screen works BEAUTIFULLY, I never get span calls ringing through on my Pixel.
Google Pay sucks
Care to elaborate? I unlock my phone, get it near the terminal and it processes the payment. Is there something I'm misinterpreting about the word 'suck' in your post?
Android Auto doesn't always play nice with car stereo, App glitches vs Car Play
I'm on the fence on this one. Occasionally the interface seems to stop accepting touch inputs but the map keeps moving. However - people with the same model vehicle as mine have experienced MUCH worse issues with their infotainment systems (screen blacks out and the system ultimately reboots mid-drive) and it seems most of them are using iPhones, compared to their issues (which have been clearing up with updates from the vehicle manufacturer) my system has been working flawlessly with my Android phone.
In the UK you can register your number with a regulated service that makes it illegal for companies to cold call you without permission.
The US has the 'do not call list', but it seems that's more a database of numbers for scammers TO call.
Actually if you have a Pixel 7 or 6 series probably even earlier it will tell you when you are getting a spam call. Then you can have it screen the call by answering it for you and translating the response in text so you can decide whether or not to answer.
My Pixel 4a5G had call screen. I should add - the additional phone app features like Hold for Me and Direct My Call are absolutely WONDERFUL.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
A
I thought about this when my 14 pro was stolen.
There’s asus ROG for performance & battery. The pixel for camera and (surprise!) software, and Samsung for everything else.
I ended up re-purchasing the 14 pro. A few more years And Android will be as smooth as iOS.
A few more years and iOS will be as feature rich as android

Reactions: Htsi and jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.