Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
Yup. That is always one of the main things that bothered me about Samsung devices. They come loaded with way too much crap. I’d it could be uninstalled, it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. But some of it you’re stuck with. And it’s usually some of the worst and most pointless games out there. I’m not sure what stuff they force now but for a while, it was stuff like Candy Crush Saga. I really only have experience with Samsung but I’d imagine that they all do it. Well except for Google.
I had the Essential Phone, it had zero bloat. It was perfect in that regard, a bit flawed in others, but in all a really cool and good phone. My last Android, before I went back to 100% iOS again.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I had the Essential Phone, it had zero bloat. It was perfect in that regard, a bit flawed in others, but in all a really cool and good phone. My last Android, before I went back to 100% iOS again.
I am really happy with my move to iPhone. It closes the gap I had when I had an android phone and all of my other devices were apple devices. iCloud and the tight integration between all apple devices is simply amazing!

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
for everyone else
my neighbors have Samsung™ and other phones and get spam calls constantly!

I have never received 1 spam call since July when I opened the iPhone box.
this is an example of how  does care about YOUR privacy
while other exclude this feature, except when advertising for android.
Spam calls 100% happen on iOS. When I lived in the states I could get up to 5 a day. Ironically, Pixels have a pretty decent spam filtering system for calls. No idea how Samsungs do on that front, but iOS is by no means immune.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Spam calls 100% happen on iOS. When I lived in the states I could get up to 5 a day. Ironically, Pixels have a pretty decent spam filtering system for calls. No idea how Samsungs do on that front, but iOS is by no means immune.
Samsung actually does a decent job, unless you are on Verizon. Verizon shuts down the services built in to Samsung phones so that they can sell their spam blocking as an add on service.

I get spam calls and texts on my iPhone.

Reactions: boss.king

Chidoro

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Only one I would consider is the Sony Xperia 1 IV. It's a flagship device. I would switch from my 14 PM for it, but it would be the one if I had to.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Only one I would consider is the Sony Xperia 1 IV. It's a flagship device. I would switch from my 14 PM for it, but it would be the one if I had to.
The camera isn’t great though. Or at least whatever Sony is doing with the processing.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If you’re looking for security and privacy, then you’re making a big mistake. Google collects your data, including your keyboard data, location, etc. also apps will have access to your data. There is no tracking prevention. Also, cameras suck in apps.
You can use DuckDuckGo for app tracking prevention.

Google collecting info is inevitable if you want to use their services. It doesn't matter if you use an iphone or Android. Going with Pixel phone at least minimize the data collection to first party (Google).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yup. That is always one of the main things that bothered me about Samsung devices. They come loaded with way too much crap. I’d it could be uninstalled, it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. But some of it you’re stuck with. And it’s usually some of the worst and most pointless games out there. I’m not sure what stuff they force now but for a while, it was stuff like Candy Crush Saga. I really only have experience with Samsung but I’d imagine that they all do it. Well except for Google.
I equate having an Android phone to having a Windows PC. You inevitably have to do some manual maintenance to have a better and well running system.

Samsung is getting better. Even their own browser is now optional install. The worse is actually Google themselves, as they forces OEMs to pre-install most of the Google apps to get certified. Ie I can uninstall Samsung's own browser on my Galaxy, but I cannot uninstall Chrome (and many other Google apps like TV, Music, YouTube, etc).

koelsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2021
Well, your phone number leaking to marketers is not the function of the phone.

Speaking of spam, the best thing on Android is that I can use Google messages app and it has SMS spam blocking feature. iOS doesn’t have that.
iOS kind of has a spam filter with "Silence Unknown Callers" and "Filter Unknown Senders" but that of course works solely off of someone being in your contacts list. There's also apps for filtering calls but I haven't worked with any and that requires download/subscribing to something.

Indeed spam calls are more a function of carriers having been slow to adopt call authentication and whatever the scammers feel like targeting today. My mom and I have iPhones with numbers in the same bloc and spam volume will alternate between us. For a while it was consistent that she'd get a scam call from the same number I did about 10 minutes later.

Reactions: 5105973

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
The Pixel is the only Android device to buy, in my opinion. The software experience is second to none. It’s so dang smooth. And the Google Assistant/Pixel specific features are amazing.

Some people say the fingerprint reader is inconsistent, and the facial recognition is camera based only. Additionally, the battery is good not the best.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can have it all.

I’ve used a Pixel and the only reason I stuck with my iPhone is because of the size (iPhone SE 2022). I plan to switch to Pixel as soon as this phone has served its purpose. The Pixel 7 is darn good. I hope this helps, cheers.

PS - You’d obviously want to go for the Pixel 7 Pro since that has the better camera system.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The Pixel is the only Android device to buy, in my opinion. The software experience is second to none. It’s so dang smooth. And the Google Assistant/Pixel specific features are amazing.

Some people say the fingerprint reader is inconsistent, and the facial recognition is camera based only. Additionally, the battery is good not the best.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can have it all.

I’ve used a Pixel and the only reason I stuck with my iPhone is because of the size (iPhone SE 2022). I plan to switch to Pixel as soon as this phone has served its purpose. The Pixel 7 is darn good. I hope this helps, cheers.

PS - You’d obviously want to go for the Pixel 7 Pro since that has the better camera system.
The Pixel 7 is an option for those wanting to buy Android. The beauty of Android is that there are choices of different manufacturers depending on what you’re looking for.

For those looking for a good overall phone with focus on smartness instead of spec, the Pixel 7/7 Pro delivers. Those looking into best spec should be looking at the Samsung flagships as software wise, OneUI has more features. Those who are looking for value can look at the Chinese phones. There’s no one size fits all, but that’s the beauty of Android 😊

black_knight

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2021
Which Android device would you recommend as the best-in-class iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB killer?
I want the absolute best of the best.
It needs to be supported with updates for at least 24 months.
It needs best-in-class camera system.
It needs best-in-class performance.
It needs best-in-class battery runtimes.
It needs secure face unlocking and touch authentication.

What do you recommend I go buy tomorrow?
Your post is one big oxymoron.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
iOS kind of has a spam filter with "Silence Unknown Callers" and "Filter Unknown Senders" but that of course works solely off of someone being in your contacts list. There's also apps for filtering calls but I haven't worked with any and that requires download/subscribing to something.

Indeed spam calls are more a function of carriers having been slow to adopt call authentication and whatever the scammers feel like targeting today. My mom and I have iPhones with numbers in the same bloc and spam volume will alternate between us. For a while it was consistent that she'd get a scam call from the same number I did about 10 minutes later.
It also depends on where you live, etc. In the US, I was flooded with spam calls daily. Since moving back to NZ, not a single spam call or text.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
A $1600 phone?

Some people wear $10k watches and drive $250k cars

I don't think a lowly Android phone could ever compete with that.

I will enjoy my paupers phone. 😂 Lol

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2022
Which Android device would you recommend as the best-in-class iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB killer?

It is Jan 1 and I will not switch to Android… ever.

Bsj80

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014

Haha “iPhone kill”… looks like you are looking for the iPhone 15 pro max….

Reactions: KeithBN

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I equate having an Android phone to having a Windows PC. You inevitably have to do some manual maintenance to have a better and well running system

I switched from iOS to Android (a Pixel) a few weeks ago. It's the first time in about 5 years that I've used Android. I guess I need to give it some months to see if this enhanced need for maintenance crops up, but I haven't seen it in the first few weeks of use.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
If you want best in class cameras and at least 24 months of software updates, that narrows it down to the last Pixel devices. They are pretty neat.

However, the most powerful SoC (the chipset) is still the A16, closely followed by the A15. Once Apple releases the A17, probably built on a 3mm process, the gap will be even wider. But I don’t think the Tensor chips are bad by any means. They are probably best in class among the Android devices.
Well...Qualcom gen 2 is actually faster, at least faster than A15

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
iPhone 14 Pro Max is the best in class for all those. You asked…

Reactions: dumastudetto

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I'm considering it based on the replies. Looks like nothing comes close to even matching what I already have with iPhone.
Yeah right. I am sure you happened to come to that conclusion based on answers here not already made before you even posted the question?

Why ask a question when you already know your opinion? You just wanted to bait people into an unwinnable debate based on your metrics.

Who needs all of the specs you quoted anyway. Seems overkill to me. But if you like spending almost $2k for a phone you better have the best right?

Some people don’t spend so much on phones but get an even better phone.

Does your iPhone screen your calls? How good is the speech to text? Can it isolate your voice from background noise during a call? I mean how good a phone is it? Maybe it has 1 tb of storage but best in class camera went to the Pixel 6a and Pixel 7 pro not to the iPhone. How is that optical zoom?

1tb storage with a lightning port with slow transfer speeds? Also don't Mac's and iPads use USB c?

Best in class at what you think is important may not be best in class for everyone.

Your meager effort at trying to bait people into proving you have the best phone is pretty pathetic. But enjoy your phone you surely spent enough to have the “best”.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.