Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
No android phone meets all of these requirements, but some come quite close. It sounds like you’re security minded - so I would go with a Pixel. They will get the latest updates the faster since Google develops the core android OS. Great screen, good battery life, and a pretty stellar camera on the latest models.

Reactions: Reggaenald

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
You might get better advice postings your question on some Android forum rather than a Mac centered forum.

I am sure some techies know both, but I think you will get a larger range of suggestions elsewhere.
This is labeled "Alternatives it iOS." I rarely look at the other forums. I have an iPad and an Android tablet. Only a flip phone. I like both tablets and my preference is neck and neck. I can get my Android to do almost anything. iPad is challenging for simple tasks like adding data. Then again, the 32 GB is near full.
I am not a Samsung or Apple fan. With tablets, that leaves me out in the cold. I have a Nokia, which has most of the things I want in a tablet.
I would say, for an Android phone, go with Google. They get more attention than the others. I am interested in the Pixel tablet coming next year.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
Great new years resolution! Switch to Android! o_O Just kidding! ;)

In more serious terms, I would recommend either the Pixel 6a/7/7 Pro or the Samsung Galaxy A53 at the minimum or the Galaxy S21 FE/S22+/S22 Ultra if looking for something more premium.

Reactions: SamRyouji

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Since the post doesn’t read like a draft from Apple’s marketing department I am thoroughly concerned that your MR account was hacked.

Kidding aside: hope you find a nice device.
Threads like these bring out the iPhone stans... most likely to draw some attention.

Reactions: SamRyouji

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
You'll want to consider battery life too during the day use. I bought an S22 Ultra to see if I was missing out on anything after being formerly a Android user and switching to Iphone several years ago. My experience with the S22 Ultra was horrible. It's battery life doesn't hold a candle to Iphone. It would literally drop 10-11% on my 60-70 min commute streaming a radio show. Meanwhile my Iphone 13 Pro Max actually stays at 100% battery all the way to work. Now if i look at my screen more often sometimes it'll drop to 97% at the most by tthe time I reach work. But after a month of trying out the S22 Ultra these were the things that ultimately made me go back,
  • Battery Life
  • Google Pay sucks
  • The Convenience of the magnet charger on Iphone vs anything else
  • Android Auto doesn't always play nice with car stereo, App glitches vs Car Play
These four things were at the top of my list as deal breakers to keep using Android for me.

Reactions: DeanCorp

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
for everyone else
my neighbors have Samsung™ and other phones and get spam calls constantly!

I have never received 1 spam call since July when I opened the iPhone box.
this is an example of how  does care about YOUR privacy
while other exclude this feature, except when advertising for android.
Well, your phone number leaking to marketers is not the function of the phone.

Speaking of spam, the best thing on Android is that I can use Google messages app and it has SMS spam blocking feature. iOS doesn’t have that.

nfl_brah

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
for everyone else

this is an example of how  does care about YOUR privacy
while other exclude this feature, except when advertising for android.
This is a joke right? I get 3-5 spam calls a day on my iPhone, and so does almost every iPhone owner I know.

Kkspire

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016
If you’re looking for security and privacy, then you’re making a big mistake. Google collects your data, including your keyboard data, location, etc. also apps will have access to your data. There is no tracking prevention. Also, cameras suck in apps.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Which Android device would you recommend as the best-in-class iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB killer?
I want the absolute best of the best.
It needs to be supported with updates for at least 24 months.
It needs best-in-class camera system.
It needs best-in-class performance.
It needs best-in-class battery runtimes.
It needs secure face unlocking and touch authentication.

What do you recommend I go buy tomorrow?
The problem with this list is you seem to want one device to be best-in-class in all these areas simultaneously. If that device exists, you won’t need suggestions from us. Head over to an Android website and see which devices fit the bill in their respective segment (budget/mid/premium/foldable).

I doubt any one device has all of these though.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Which Android device would you recommend as the best-in-class iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB killer?

So you're going to spend $1,000+ ($1,500)+ for something that will be great for only 24 months.
I'd have to say, stick with Apple and get your money's worth.
I also suspect this is a prank or something.
Tomorrow is a holiday.
Buy some aspirin to take after you slam your head into a locked door. <grin>

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
If I’d stuck with Android like I have always done up until the 14 Pro Max, I would be holding out for the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S23 series. I have a friend who just got a Fold 4 and she loves it. It’s a pretty cool phone.

Reactions: yui4

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
for everyone else

In case you didn’t know, robo calls target your phone _number_, not your phone. Stop the crazy talk.
you are correct
Those aren’t the androids I’m should be looking at
I should go about my business.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
If I’d stuck with Android like I have always done up until the 14 Pro Max, I would be holding out for the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S23 series. I have a friend who just got a Fold 4 and she loves it. It’s a pretty cool phone.
I just feel like folding phones won't blow up unless or until Apple makes one, and I think Apple will probably sit this round of "innovation" out.

Reactions: mjs916 and Col4bin

dreamerstree

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2021

You should probably ask an android fan website. Haha

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I just feel like folding phones won't blow up unless or until Apple makes one, and I think Apple will probably sit this round of "innovation" out.
I see them all over the place. I know a few people who have either a fold or a flip. The fold is actually pretty cool. The screen on the outside is a bit small but that inside screen is amazing. Large, bright, and clear. The only way that the crease can be seen is if you view it off angle. It is a great way to have a portable device with a big screen. If I had stuck with Android I likely wouldn’t have gotten one because it is quite heavy and a bit bulky when folded. I’d have waited out the S23 or gone with a Pixel 7.

I am not sure why people here think the flip and fold are gimmick phones. I think the fact that they are each on their fourth iteration says otherwise. They are not for everyone, but they do have their place.

Reactions: 5105973

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
Pixel is probably the only serious contender.

Samsung are to the best of my knowledge still bundling uninstallable showstopper apps such as Facebook, plus duplicates of standard apps that are just plain bloat. It might have changed, but I would check that before spending $1000+ on a potential Meta harvest robot. Samsung is 100% unthinkable until this practice stops.

The rest of the bunch? Nothing but compromises in regard to OP’s spec dream.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Pixel is probably the only serious contender.

Samsung are to the best of my knowledge still bundling uninstallable showstopper apps such as Facebook, plus duplicates of standard apps that are just plain bloat. It might have changed, but I would check that before spending $1000+ on a potential Meta harvest robot. Samsung is 100% unthinkable until this practice stops.

The rest of the bunch? Nothing but compromises in regard to OP’s spec dream.
I’m not sure about their most current phones. I was able to uninstall facebook’s garbage app on my 2.5(ish) year old Note 20 Ultra. Uninstalling Facebook is always one of the first thing that I’ve done. The only apps that I couldn’t uninstall were a few garbage games. They do allow you to hide them but yeah, it would have been nice to get back that space. One of the best things about iPhones is no carrier garbage.

Reactions: Col4bin and doolar

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I’m not sure about their most current phones. I was able to uninstall facebook’s garbage app on my 2.5(ish) year old Note 20 Ultra. Uninstalling Facebook is always one of the first thing that I’ve done. The only apps that I couldn’t uninstall were a few garbage games. They do allow you to hide them but yeah, it would have been nice to get back that space. One of the best things about iPhones is no carrier garbage.
Good if so! I’m not at all bashing Samsung per se, but this ****** practice. I’m never ever buying a phone with bloat again.

Edit: wait what the word “5h1tty” is being censored by MR? Omg

cutlub

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
I have a friend who is a regional manager at Google. He uses a Pixel 7 at work and switches to his iPhone 14 Pro as soon as he gets in his car. The Pixel 6/7 are nice alternatives. Great cameras and the smooth surface on the back is nicely implemented. Best of luck on the switch. Hope it lasts.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Good if so! I’m not at all bashing Samsung per se, but this ****** practice. I’m never ever buying a phone with bloat again.
Yup. That is always one of the main things that bothered me about Samsung devices. They come loaded with way too much crap. I’d it could be uninstalled, it wouldn’t be as big of a deal. But some of it you’re stuck with. And it’s usually some of the worst and most pointless games out there. I’m not sure what stuff they force now but for a while, it was stuff like Candy Crush Saga. I really only have experience with Samsung but I’d imagine that they all do it. Well except for Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.