Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I apologize if I read your post the wrong way.
Tbh, there was no need for an apology. The way the question was framed it was an effort to troll... the OP could claim it was genuine.

And the last part is the tell tell sign.. "needs to have the best FaceID AND TouchID, which the iPhone 14 Pro Max does not have both. It's like me going to a Mac specific thread and making a requirement of this below.

- I want a device with touch Screen support
- I want a device with cellular support
- I want a device with FaceID
- I want a device with LiDAR capabilities
- I want a device with Apple Pencil support

Or better yet going into an iPhone specific thread and making a requirement:

- I want a foldable phone
- I want to be able to side load apps
- I want a phone where it has external display support
- I want a phone that has stylus support
- I want a phone that's able to multitask
- I want a phone that has audio simultaneously capabilities
- I want a phone that has interactive widgets

No shade to the iPhone... I think it's an awesome device, but the OP clearly gravitate toward Apple ecosystem and has no serious intentions to switch based off the question.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Tbh, there was no need for an apology. The way the question was framed it was an effort to troll... the OP could claim it was genuine.

And the last part is the tell tell sign.. "needs to have the best FaceID AND TouchID, which the iPhone 14 Pro Max does not have both. It's like me going to a Mac specific thread and making a requirement of this below.

No shade to the iPhone... I think it's an awesome device, but the OP clearly gravitate toward Apple ecosystem and has no serious intentions to switch based off the question.
Pretty much my thoughts from the start.

To me there are several comments made that this was not a serious or genuine effort to learn more.

However when someone asks after being called out I will humor them to a point.

I just don't understand why people try to make themselves feel superior by posting stuff that is poorly veiled attempt at bragging. Like you duped a bunch of people to tell you what you want to hear, do you feel better about yourself?

Of course we could both be wrong and the OP is genuinely trying to learn more. Sure has an odd way to do it.

Personally I try to learn as much as I can on my own and then once I have a certain degree of knowledge ask questions about specific things.

Not say things like, "best in class". Sounds like a luxury car commercial.

Of course the list was a give away from the start.

To me right now I am not happy with Apple. iPhone 13 Pro Max is better than the 14 Pro Max IMHO. I like having a physical sim card slot. The a16 seems to be inefficient compared to the a15? And most of Apple's SOC are wasted on iOS anyway. iOS 16 is my least favorite release for a few years now and seems to be causing increased battery drain and removed wallpapers I liked. Still using lightning port. No Promotion on non pro devices. The division of SOC and notch between non pro and pro devices sucks. Apple should have the pill cutout and dynamic island on all devices, they should all have AOD, they should all have a16.

So if you are like the OP and are willing to spend $1600 plus tax on a phone then none of that matters but if you don't want to spend close to 2k on a phone or even $1000/$1100 then your choices are limited.

I am really hoping that next year Apple will correct some of these issues and then I might be back.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
A

A few more years and iOS will be as feature rich as android
Absolutely!
I really want to try out the pixel features. It took so long for even AOD to come thru.
I’m going to buy a galaxy or pixel along with the new iPhone this year.
Crossed the barrier of spending money for two flagships this time so might as well have variety next time around.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
Yeah right. I am sure you happened to come to that conclusion based on answers here not already made before you even posted the question?

Why ask a question when you already know your opinion? You just wanted to bait people into an unwinnable debate based on your metrics.

Who needs all of the specs you quoted anyway. Seems overkill to me. But if you like spending almost $2k for a phone you better have the best right?

Some people don’t spend so much on phones but get an even better phone.

Does your iPhone screen your calls? How good is the speech to text? Can it isolate your voice from background noise during a call? I mean how good a phone is it? Maybe it has 1 tb of storage but best in class camera went to the Pixel 6a and Pixel 7 pro not to the iPhone. How is that optical zoom?

1tb storage with a lightning port with slow transfer speeds? Also don't Mac's and iPads use USB c?

Best in class at what you think is important may not be best in class for everyone.

Your meager effort at trying to bait people into proving you have the best phone is pretty pathetic. But enjoy your phone you surely spent enough to have the “best”.
Why are you acting like a bully?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I call things as I see it and based on OP responses.

If debate without insulting anyone or any platform is bullying I don't know what to say?

Everyone is free to say what they want as long as they aren't personally attacking others which I never did.

I did point out what I thought was an odd way to get information.

Why come to alternative to IOS and ask a question that can't be answered based on the parameters given? A question that only makes iPhone look better based on only those metrics that only prove a self confirmation bias?

I also waited until the OP responded to multiple posts that confirmed iPhone was best and OP even said that it looks like his iPhone is best.

If you are coming looking for genuine knowledge then OP would have framed the initial question in a different way. Does OP have to do so? Of course not but then I am free to call it out.

I could be wrong and if you read all of my posts I attempted to be helpful and apologized if I read things wrong. I don't know what more I can do to be helpful and understanding?

But if you think I am a bully you are free to enjoy your opinion.

Reactions: ericwn and arkitect

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Why are you angry? You reacted with angry emoji to my posts? I have literally never done that to anyone's post whether I agreed with them or not and even when they were being less than nice. Seems like bullying behavior?? Why not just ask why I said what I said rather than frame it with a harsh judgement on what I said which is not my intention and incorrect?

I really don't care to persuade anyone to any platform as I like them all and we are adults and can research and make our own informed decisions on what will work best. Calling someone a bully seems to be a way to intimidate them into modifying their behavior and censoring their opinions?

Last edited:

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
If debate without insulting anyone or any platform is bullying I don't know what to say?
You did call the op for pathetic, and that why I responded.
Maybe I was little harsh and judged you to soon. So I do apologize for that.
But facts remains, you could have said the same thing but in a nicer way.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Some passionate conversation here. I honestly feel the OP should merely purchase the phone they desire and let that be the end of it 🤣😂😭

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
You did call the op for pathetic, and that why I responded.
Maybe I was little harsh and judged you to soon. So I do apologize for that.
But facts remains, you could have said the same thing but in a nicer way.
I agree it was worded strongly but it wasn't a personal attack on the OP but rather what I felt was the action he was taking by wording his post as he did. I stand by my assessment. I called out his behavior as pathetic and not him personally which I think is an important distinction.

I also apologized if I misread his comments to him personally.

But I'm any case I was not bullying him or asking him to change but rather calling out what I saw was an attempt to goade people into a debate that could not be won based on the parameters that are narrow that the OP gave, that also by the way paint his device in a superior light.

I don't like arrogance and veiled attempts at manipulating others and that is what I was calling out.

Maybe I am wrong and maybe as you say I could have worded my opinion better but it triggered a response in me and for that I apologize.

Reactions: ericwn

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
I agree it was worded strongly but it wasn't a personal attack on the OP but rather what I felt was the action he was taking by wording his post as he did. I stand by my assessment. I called out his behavior as pathetic and not him personally which I think is an important distinction.

I also apologized if I misread his comments to him personally.

But I'm any case I was not bullying him or asking him to change but rather calling out what I saw was an attempt to goade people into a debate that could not be won based on the parameters that are narrow that the OP gave, that also by the way paint his device in a superior light.

I don't like arrogance and veiled attempts at manipulating others and that is what I was calling out.

Maybe I am wrong and maybe as you say I could have worded my opinion better but it triggered a response in me and for that I apologize.
Ok. I'll buy that.
I did actually thought you called the person pathetic and not the behavior.
But you already figured that out I guess🙂
Btw, I was going to give you a downvote and not a angry emoji. But on the iPhone there is no downvote emoji, so that's why.
I regret that now.
I do also apologize for the misunderstandins from my side. Take care!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Ok. I'll buy that.
I did actually thought you called the person pathetic and not the behavior.
But you already figured that out I guess🙂
Btw, I was going to give you a downvote and not a angry emoji. But on the iPhone there is no downvote emoji, so that's why.
I regret that now.
I do also apologize for the misunderstandins from my side. Take care!
No worries. It is why I don't like texting people as there is no intonation and people can skip reading certain things and take what I said and meant the wrong way.

I appreciate your humility and being big enough to apologize!

I hope you have a great 2023 and get lots of tech to talk about!

Have a great day.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Google's Call Screen works BEAUTIFULLY, I never get span calls ringing through on my Pixel.

Care to elaborate? I unlock my phone, get it near the terminal and it processes the payment. Is there something I'm misinterpreting about the word 'suck' in your post?

I'm on the fence on this one. Occasionally the interface seems to stop accepting touch inputs but the map keeps moving. However - people with the same model vehicle as mine have experienced MUCH worse issues with their infotainment systems (screen blacks out and the system ultimately reboots mid-drive) and it seems most of them are using iPhones, compared to their issues (which have been clearing up with updates from the vehicle manufacturer) my system has been working flawlessly with my Android phone.

The US has the 'do not call list', but it seems that's more a database of numbers for scammers TO call.

My Pixel 4a5G had call screen. I should add - the additional phone app features like Hold for Me and Direct My Call are absolutely WONDERFUL.
Yeah, so there was some weird glitch where Google Pay would keep scrolling when I would scroll through my cards. Like I couldn't stop it. Had to wait till it got the last card and then scroll back to the beginning. That wasn't just a one time thing either, it happened multiple times. That was strike 1. I didn't like the always available pay. Meaning you didn't have to unlock the phone to pay. Not a big fan of that. Also I didn't like the horizontal scroll.
vs Apply Pay it worked seamlessly always. It has never glitched on me ever. Unless it was user error at the POS terminal. I like the vertical scroll better. And I like the double click the power button and unlock before you can make a purchase. To me it just felt more seamless and worked without any issues. And the steps to use it for me seemed relatively quick. And maybe it's user error, but it never seemed to register the payment right away. I had to repeat it. I rarely had that issue on Apple Pay. This was also more than one occasion that happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, so there was some weird glitch where Google Pay would keep scrolling when I would scroll through my cards. Like I couldn't stop it.
I've not seen that, but I also only have 3 cards in my profile.

1. I didn't like the always available pay. Meaning you didn't have to unlock the phone to pay. Not a big fan of that
That's only for purchases up to a certain amount. I usually unlock my phone prior to getting to the payment process, but I've also been using my watch for payments more often (a different challenge).

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I've not seen that, but I also only have 3 cards in my profile.

That's only for purchases up to a certain amount. I usually unlock my phone prior to getting to the payment process, but I've also been using my watch for payments more often (a different challenge).
Yeah I tried googling that scrolling issue. But found no one else having that issue. So could have been some weird thing with that S22 Ultra.
I did read that regarding Google Pay. After using it for a month though, I just liked Apple pay more.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Guys guys. Stop arguing. Just admit you are annoyed that OP is switching to Android 😄

To your original question OP if secure biometrics is real concern to you, you might wan’t to stick with Apple. Imho. Not sure if those are secure enough on any Android phone. Others feel free to correct me.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Guys guys. Stop arguing. Just admit you are annoyed that OP is switching to Android 😄

To your original question OP if secure biometrics is real concern to you, you might wan’t to stick with Apple. Imho. Not sure if those are secure enough on any Android phone. Others feel free to correct me.
OP will most likely not be switching to Android.

It would be most amusing if he did.

As far as a face unlock you are absolutely right that no Android phone comes close but then the question is which is a more secure form of authentication? FaceID or fingerprint scanner? That I honestly don't know. Both seem equally secure as banks will trust either method.

I don't think a bank would accept anything less than extremely secure so as long as you have FaceID or fingerprint scanner you should be fine so Android and iOS are equally secure in terms of biometric authentication, personal preference aside.

Reactions: arkitect

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I didn't like the always available pay. Meaning you didn't have to unlock the phone to pay

As has been mentioned, that's only for a limited number of low value transactions - similar to limit how contactless card transactions work. But I think you can block it completely by enabling setting for "require device unlock for NFC".

Last edited:

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
This is one of the most anti-Apple websites around...in the forums and comments at least.

It's so not.

It does cater for users who also have interests in non-Apple devices via targeted sub-forums. In my opinion this makes it a much more interesting place then if it was a pure Apple fan site.

But those who only use and like Apple are still the vast majority on this site.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That's what Macrumors has become. This is one of the most anti-Apple websites around...in the forums and comments at least.
That is not true at all. Not everyone likes everyting Apple does or sells. If I say I don't like the Apple Magic Mouse does not make me anti Apple. Just means I don't like the mouse.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

No. No they are not going to switch to Android and they never had any intention to.

The OP is one of the most dedicated Apple *cough* "supporters" *cough* on this site… and now they want to switch to Android? 🤣

Go back and read the post again…

It was just a lame attempt at (I'll get modded for this I guess) trolling.

We were all supposed to go and wring our hands and say: Oh, but why would you want to when the iPhone is the greatest phone ever.

Some folk have too much time on their hands.

OP will most likely not be switching to Android.

It would be most amusing if he did.
Agreed. I think the OP was having… shall we say… fun.

Or perhaps they were hacked? 🤣

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Well said. Couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.