Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
K

Why no canary letter?

No independent audit PLUS no letter = hard to trust
How should I implement that? Just a note on my website (which is still a work in progress)?

Would it be more trustful if I‘d release my Client Source-Code on Github?

Reactions: Vref

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
How should I implement that? Just a note on my website (which is still a work in progress)?

Today I learned about what a Warrant Canary is. lol. And I consider myself fairly technically literate. Fun read. Me personally this doesn't bother me, but probably cuz I'm in the USA.

Most of your users probably won't care, but those of us who can read code might feel better about it? Me personally? I always figure people can push code to git that isn't real anyway so lol. It never really mattered to me.

Just my $.02 on it :p (From perspective as a VPN consumer who is at least somewhat technically literate).

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Today I learned about what a Warrant Canary is. lol. And I consider myself fairly technically literate. Fun read. Me personally this doesn't bother me, but probably cuz I'm in the USA.

Most of your users probably won't care, but those of us who can read code might feel better about it? Me personally? I always figure people can push code to git that isn't real anyway so lol. It never really mattered to me.

Just my $.02 on it :p (From perspective as a VPN consumer who is at least somewhat technically literate).
I also had to look up what that is 😅.

I‘m feeling the same… How can one know that the letter is up-to-date? How to know that the source code is the actual and only used code? How to know that the Audit company was really trustworthy? You can‘t…

What makes me trustworthy is, I‘m small and independent, I‘m not only profit interested, and I also don‘t know anything about howto sell data and don‘t plan it either… But if one wants to do illegal stuff, I wouldn‘t rely on my App 😉

Reactions: Vref and BigMcGuire

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP

Or do both?

This is what nord does, it’s also my start page for my browsers

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP

I live in the US too

That being said

7092-BC8-D-6-C8-C-41-D2-A8-F1-4-B67-F5-C76-FF3.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_surveillance_disclosures_(2013–present)

I trust my ISP and cell provider as much as a sketchy hotels wifi

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
I also had to look up what that is 😅.

I‘m feeling the same… How can one know that the letter is up-to-date? How to know that the source code is the actual and only used code? How to know that the Audit company was really trustworthy? You can‘t…

What makes me trustworthy is, I‘m small and independent, I‘m not only profit interested, and I also don‘t know anything about howto sell data and don‘t plan it either… But if one wants to do illegal stuff, I wouldn‘t rely on my App 😉

What’s legal or illegal changes by the day, by the politics, and by popularity

There by the grace of god go I and all that jazz

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
@Vref: You're probably right...

@All: New version 2.9.0 is now online. Added 3 new servers (Belgium, Denmark, Norway... for you @pacorob). The server-list is in a new order now and I changed some logic behind server selection, so you probably have to reselect your server after update. This will be the last update for a while (I hope so). If you encounter any bugs, please let me know!

BTW, I'll raise the lifetime price in the next few days to 24.99$ / 29.99€. So if anyone wants to buy for that actual small price, should do now.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

@All: New version 2.9.0 is now online. Added 3 new servers (Belgium, Denmark, Norway... for you @pacorob). The server-list is in a new order now and I changed some logic behind server selection, so you probably have to reselect your server after update. This will be the last update for a while (I hope so). If you encounter any bugs, please let me know!

BTW, I'll raise the lifetime price in the next few days to 24.99$ / 29.99€. So if anyone wants to buy for that actual small price, should do now.
Even at $25, that is still dirt cheap. Glad I got the early deal. 😎

Reactions: BigMcGuire

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Even at $25, that is still dirt cheap. Glad I got the early deal. 😎
Lucky you 😜 Out of interest, let's say there's also a Mac app (same as iOS version, just also released for M1/M2), what would be a price you'd pay for lifetime?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Lucky you 😜 Out of interest, let's say there's also a Mac app (same as iOS version, just also released for M1/M2), what would be a price you'd pay for lifetime?
I realize that I wasn't asked this question. But figured I'd give a reply anyway, hope you don't mind. :D

I use VPN a lot more on my Mac than I do my iPad/iPhone because almost always I have cellular data I can use.

My MBP - whenever I'm out of the house with that I'm usually on VPN.

I pay NordVPN $89 every 3 years when they do their sale. I usually avoid lifetime because these companies change so often and I'd rather pay for what I use. But that's me.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Will you keep Turkey and Brasília on going?! That’s the only interesting one for me. Unfortunately, I’m on vacation and have no access to my Mac, as well as I understand this is an universal app and also runs on Silicon macs?

Edit: however, just bought the lifetime lic. turkey works well for my usecase. Can just hope this service lasts for at least some years…

Last edited:
Reactions: pvalerio

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Thanks for your feedback about price @BigMcGuire and @Apple_Robert!

@kaardowiq: Yes I plan to keep all servers how they are. As long as I manage to not make any loss over time I sure plan to keep the service up, because it‘s pretty low maintenance as of now. Right now it‘s only for iPhone and iPad though.

@Apple_Robert: Auto-reconnect is enabled builtin, but right now it kicks out users which are idle for some hours. But I have to look for a way to remove the idle check for Premium users.

I have just compiled the app with Mac silicon enabled (as iPad version) and it went through without errors, though I don‘t have a silicon Mac. May anyone willing to test?

Reactions: xerxers

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks for your feedback about price @BigMcGuire and @Apple_Robert!

@kaardowiq: Yes I plan to keep all servers how they are. As long as I manage to not make any loss over time I sure plan to keep the service up, because it‘s pretty low maintenance as of now. Right now it‘s only for iPhone and iPad though.

@Apple_Robert: Auto-reconnect is enabled builtin, but right now it kicks out users which are idle for some hours. But I have to look for a way to remove the idle check for Premium users.

I have just compiled the app with Mac silicon enabled (as iPad version) and it went through without errors, though I don‘t have a silicon Mac. May anyone willing to test?
Thanks for the reply. That explains why I keep getting disconnected.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
I’d pretty like to c an Apple Silicon version and could give it a try. Unfortunately, I’m currently on vacation but will travel back tomorrow and could give it a try on the weekend.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Thanks for the reply. That explains why I keep getting disconnected.
I looked into it but I can't disable it selective as it is a server-side option. Do you use mostly 1 server? Would using the Kill-Switch be an option? Because that always reconnects and keeps you connected to the VPN.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

I've been using yesterday evening the German and UK VPNs which worked perfectly.

The new Belgium one however didn't work with VRT Max from the Belgium public service. Maybe the VPN IP is blocked to be used. I couldn't play any video unfortunately.

Thanks again for adding 3 new servers of the asked countries.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I've been using yesterday evening the German and UK VPNs which worked perfectly.

The new Belgium one however didn't work with VRT Max from the Belgium public service. Maybe the VPN IP is blocked to be used. I couldn't play any video unfortunately.

Thanks again for adding 3 new servers of the asked countries.
Just checked on some IP blacklist sites, they‘re not listed there. But yeah I can‘t guarantee it works with streaming sites, because I don‘t understand the mechanism how they detect VPNs. Probably they block whole datacenter IP ranges, I don‘t know. Was there a specific error message?

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Just checked on some IP blacklist sites, they‘re not listed there. But yeah I can‘t guarantee it works with streaming sites, because I don‘t understand the mechanism how they detect VPNs. Probably they block whole datacenter IP ranges, I don‘t know. Was there a specific error message?

Ive been on VPNs for long time and have my home router on a VPN, thus everything that connects to it is under the VPN

Seems like a year or so ago it was a royal pain to stream, I’d always have to change the server, which is a bit of a pain on the router, but recently I have never had to change it, seems like maybe the streaming companies have somewhat given up trying to chase every changing VPN servers 🤷‍♂️

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Well done you. It's great to see a new independent developer out there. Your pricing is very generous, especially the lifetime subscription, I hope it meets your needs into the future. I am in the southern hemisphere so your service will not meet my needs for multiple servers in Australia. Currently Express is the only one that does and believe me I've tried to find alternatives including Surf Shark and Nord with only limited success, despite time with their support dept. I need to access free subscription based news services and the Aust National broadcaster from Indonesia and while not as difficult as eg. China it's still a challenge.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Ive been on VPNs for long time and have my home router on a VPN, thus everything that connects to it is under the VPN

Seems like a year or so ago it was a royal pain to stream, I’d always have to change the server, which is a bit of a pain on the router, but recently I have never had to change it, seems like maybe the streaming companies have somewhat given up trying to chase every changing VPN servers 🤷‍♂️
Nice to know, thanks. Maybe I'll find a way in the future, when I have my own data centers all over the world 😁 Just kidding.

Well done you. It's great to see a new independent developer out there. Your pricing is very generous, especially the lifetime subscription, I hope it meets your needs into the future. I am in the southern hemisphere so your service will not meet my needs for multiple servers in Australia. Currently Express is the only one that does and believe me I've tried to find alternatives including Surf Shark and Nord with only limited success, despite time with their support dept. I need to access free subscription based news services and the Aust National broadcaster from Indonesia and while not as difficult as eg. China it's still a challenge.
It's just introductory price, which will go up on monday. It wouldn't be possible to offer a longterm vpn service for that price. What would your needs be in detail? Maybe I could cover a "niche" there.

@All: I've submitted version 2.9.3, it has better handling of disabling Kill-Switch and Premium-checking. It's possible that you need do disable Kill-Switch, reselect server and reenable Kill-Switch (for those who are using it). Maybe you also need to press on Restore Purchases. I also updated OpenVPN libraries which bumped the speed quite a bit (especially on older iOS devices), I hope it remains stable.
I also submitted macOS version of the app (just 1:1 like iPad-Version through Mac Catalyst). It works pretty good in my tests, but it's far from perfect. It needs at least a status bar icon with some rudimentary menu, but have to figure out first how that has to be done.

Reactions: Vref and BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Nice to know, thanks. Maybe I'll find a way in the future, when I have my own data centers all over the world 😁 Just kidding.

It's just introductory price, which will go up on monday. It wouldn't be possible to offer a longterm vpn service for that price. What would your needs be in detail? Maybe I could cover a "niche" there.

@All: I've submitted version 2.9.3, it has better handling of disabling Kill-Switch and Premium-checking. It's possible that you need do disable Kill-Switch, reselect server and reenable Kill-Switch (for those who are using it). Maybe you also need to press on Restore Purchases. I also updated OpenVPN libraries which bumped the speed quite a bit (especially on older iOS devices), I hope it remains stable.
I also submitted macOS version of the app (just 1:1 like iPad-Version through Mac Catalyst). It works pretty good in my tests, but it's far from perfect. It needs at least a status bar icon with some rudimentary menu, but have to figure out first how that has to be done.
Wow nice!!!! Hope you have a great weekend.

Maybe consider an option in app to allow us to tip the dev? :) My NordVPN renewal is coming up and I believe I’ve found my future VPN here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.