Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Wow nice!!!! Hope you have a great weekend.

Maybe consider an option in app to allow us to tip the dev? :) My NordVPN renewal is coming up and I believe I’ve found my future VPN here.
Thank you :) Well you could also buy the subscription for some weeks if you insist 😅 I think that works...

Reactions: BigMcGuire

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Mac Version is now online.

And thanks to @kaardowiq for a little security analysis of the Mac App binary :)

If you search for a new VPN, where do you look at? Google, review sites, App Store, ads? Need some ideas where I could promote my app, if anyone can help me out, please reach out to me.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Mac Version is now online.

And thanks to @kaardowiq for a little security analysis of the Mac App binary :)

If you search for a new VPN, where do you look at? Google, review sites, App Store, ads? Need some ideas where I could promote my app, if anyone can help me out, please reach out to me.
Thanks for the heads up. I installed the Mac version.

As an aside, I think you should have charged separately for the Mac version. As it stands, when I tried to pay, it said I had already purchased premium, which I had for the phone version.

I hope the app does well for you. Exposure here on MR will help some. Consider SetApp as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: madeirabhoy

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Thank you. Yeah you're probably right... I can still change that. So you would make the payment independent from iOS-version? Or just the lifetime option? I don't know, on other VPNs you also have just 1 account to use on different platforms (and I'm just on iOS and Mac). Or maybe just set the lifetime price higher (about 50$)?

Well I'm still making loss, so...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Thank you. Yeah you're probably right... I can still change that. So you would make the payment independent from iOS-version? Or just the lifetime option? I don't know, on other VPNs you also have just 1 acount to use on different platforms (and I'm just on iOS and Mac). Or maybe just set the lifetime price higher (maybe about 50$).
I would set the lifetime price higher, if you want it to cover iOS and MacOS. Otherwise, you should charge separate price for each. That way, you aren't losing money with new buyers.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Thanks to @pvalerio for the nice contact and pushing the Mac version. Glad to get the lifetime purchase. Keep up the good work! Thanks

Usually I run my own vpn systems, but it may have some sneaky corners where I definitely need a range location in countries I don’t have systems. Next to this, this should be more or less unknown addresses and not directly identified and blocked for common vpn usage. Therefore, the underdogs are the best ones :) for this app, it was just luck finding this thread :)

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Just checked on some IP blacklist sites, they‘re not listed there. But yeah I can‘t guarantee it works with streaming sites, because I don‘t understand the mechanism how they detect VPNs. Probably they block whole datacenter IP ranges, I don‘t know. Was there a specific error message?
I totally understand that streaming services could block certain IP (ranges) and it seems the public broadcaster with their VRT Max app from Belgium are doing that. The translated error message is: 'Video could not be loaded'. It does indicate this for each and every video within the app. I'm logged in. I've also tried a UK streaming service and there I don't have this issue at all. It's a shame that it doesn't work but I understand that you can't do much about it.

Reactions: pvalerio

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I submitted a new version where the lifetime unlock will be separate between iOS and Mac version (if I hopefully implemented it right 😅) and also at a pretty higher cost, because otherwise it wouldn't last long. For those helped me in this thread and who insist to have the old price can contact me to get a discount (somehow, will see how to do that). In a future update I will also add monthly and yearly subscription at a lower price, for those who want to go that route. Thanks again meanwhile for your support, it helped me a lot!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I submitted a new version where the lifetime unlock will be separate between iOS and Mac version (if I hopefully implemented it right 😅) and also at a pretty higher cost, because otherwise it wouldn't last long. For those helped me in this thread and who insist to have the old price can contact me to get a discount (somehow, will see how to do that). In a future update I will also add monthly and yearly subscription at a lower price, for those who want to go that route. Thanks again meanwhile for your support, it helped me a lot!
Awesome! I just downloaded it. Thanks for reaching out to us Macrumors members. I miss doing stuff like this with apps back in the day. Will be keeping an eye on this app and do what I can to tell friends/family. Hope you get the user base to fund its continuing existence.

berno

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2005
Northwest UK
@pvalerio Hi, I bought the premium Mac version a couple of days ago. After updating to the new version of SwizzVPN 2.9.5 I am no longer able to connect to any of the premium servers. I get the message "You need Premium to unlock this server".

I have tried the "Restore Purchases" option but this has no effect.

Please can you offer any help?

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Awesome! I just downloaded it. Thanks for reaching out to us Macrumors members. I miss doing stuff like this with apps back in the day. Will be keeping an eye on this app and do what I can to tell friends/family. Hope you get the user base to fund its continuing existence.
Thank you, I really appreciate that! It means a lot to me…

@pvalerio Hi, I bought the premium Mac version a couple of days ago. After updating to the new version of SwizzVPN 2.9.5 I am no longer able to connect to any of the premium servers. I get the message "You need Premium to unlock this server".

I have tried the "Restore Purchases" option but this has no effect.

Please can you offer any help?
Please send me a copy of your receipt so I can look into it.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
@pvalerio I’ve emailed a copy of my receipt to you as requested. Thanks.
Hey Berno,

When I first got the new Mac OS version it was doing the same thing for me. All I had to do was quit it, (Command+Q), open it back up, and click on Buy Premium, and choose "Restore Purchases" and I was golden. Hope this helps. It has stuck for me since then.

Like you the restore button didn't work for me initially till I killed the app and re-started it.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The updated pricing is very reasonable for those considering the purchase. App support has been stellar as well.
Agreed. I've found my VPN going forward. I rarely use it but it's one of those things you need to have on your tool belt especially if one travels for work now and then. :p

Love apps that have devs that post on Macrumors.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I really like the fact that you don't have to have an account to use the app.
Very good point. One less account to manage/maintain. Didn't even think about it till you mentioned it. Agreed, huge plus.

One of the things I hate about NordVPN - seems every few weeks the app forgets my login information and I have to log in again - which is very time consuming.

Edit: Just to test it out - I used Nord VPN earlier this week when I was comparing it to SwizzVPN and check it out:

1678287614952.png

LOL - I have to log in again. <sigh>

berno

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2005
Northwest UK
Hey Berno,

When I first got the new Mac OS version it was doing the same thing for me. All I had to do was quit it, (Command+Q), open it back up, and click on Buy Premium, and choose "Restore Purchases" and I was golden. Hope this helps. It has stuck for me since then.

Like you the restore button didn't work for me initially till I killed the app and re-started it.
Hey @BigMcGuire, Thanks for that. Unfortunately if I do that, when I click on Buy Premium it attempts to charge me again for the Premium version which I have already bought. I’ve tried quitting and restarting the app but nothing seems to work.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
@Apple_Robert and @BigMcGuire really appreciate your feedback, thanks :)

Hey @BigMcGuire, Thanks for that. Unfortunately if I do that, when I click on Buy Premium it attempts to charge me again for the Premium version which I have already bought. I’ve tried quitting and restarting the app but nothing seems to work.
Yeah, it's because that was in version 2.9.4, right before i splitted up the lifetime unlock to ios/mac. So now it actually bought the lifetime unlock for ios. But I'll find a way to fix it with you. I didn't receive the receipt yet, where did you send it to?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Agreed. I've found my VPN going forward. I rarely use it but it's one of those things you need to have on your tool belt especially if one travels for work now and then. :p

Love apps that have devs that post on Macrumors.
I think you should use a VPN all the time. Otherwise, your provider is tracking everything you do and able to build a file on you to generate ad revenue etc.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I think you should use a VPN all the time. Otherwise, your provider is tracking everything you do and able to build a file on you to generate ad revenue etc.
That's where I'm hoping Apple's Private Relay helps (I use Safari). But yeah, probably wouldn't hurt to use a VPN on top of that too. lol.

I just paid for the $50 lifetime on the Mac OS app. Yeehaw :D

berno

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2005
Northwest UK
@Apple_Robert and @BigMcGuire really appreciate your feedback, thanks :)

Yeah, it's because that was in version 2.9.4, right before i splitted up the lifetime unlock to ios/mac. So now it actually bought the lifetime unlock for ios. But I'll find a way to fix it with you. I didn't receive the receipt yet, where did you send it to?
@pvalerio I sent a copy of my receipt to mail@swizzvpn.ch
Hope this helps. :)

djalix69

macrumors member
May 24, 2020
Just grabbed this for IOS and macOS. Not tested much with the macOS side but on IOS with the VPN set to UK (and in the UK) I cannot stream skyTV.

edit: with VPN off skyTV works with no issues.

pvalerio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
Just grabbed this for IOS and macOS. Not tested much with the macOS side but on IOS with the VPN set to UK (and in the UK) I cannot stream skyTV.

edit: with VPN off skyTV works with no issues.
Yeah some streaming services make problems, I'm not able to fix it right now, maybe in the future. If you're comfortable with, you could send me the login to skyTV, so I can look into it. I'm just curious if I see something, though I don't think I'm able to fix it now.

djalix69

macrumors member
May 24, 2020
skyTV is a UK based service that no longer allows viewing when outside of the uk following our departure from the EU. I understand that it might have issues when used with a VPN while abroad but while in the UK, and with the VPN set to UK, it should work no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.