Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
You still have warranty if you have the iPhone 14.
Yup, I have the 14 PM, so it would still be covered by warranty. However, after reading about several other issues that others have (which I DON'T have), e.g., screen uniformity issues, tinting issues, etc. I think I don't want to play the lottery with a replacement device.

By the way, I noticed something important: I also have this issue when using the SIDE BUTTON to unlock the phone. And on my mom's iPad Pro I noticed the exact same issue one time after updating to iPadOS 16 (she had to press the side button 2 x for the screen to wake up).

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Yes I have also read in other threads (eg reddit) that the problem exists for some only since iOS 16.

I have also read that some iPhone 13 Pro owners also had the problem with the release of the iPhone 13 Pro 2021.

Also think it is rather software

Reactions: chris4565

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Hi,

I don't have a final result yet but it seems to be much better since iOS 16.2.

How does it look for you guys?

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
For me, with 16.2, it either stayed the same or even appears to be worse unfortunately.

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Hi,

happened to me again too. Will keep watching it. But doesn't bother me that much. Occurs very rarely.

PS
Just installed iOS 16.2 on my mom's iPhone. Tap To Wake just didn't work once either....

Last edited:

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I’ve noticed it occasionally on my phone. I always blamed myself for it.

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Given the battery life of the new models why not just use "Lift to Wake" it's pretty much foolproof and although it may contribute to battery loss (a little) I find its negligible even with my iPhone SE 2.
Or the Allways On Display [IP14 Pro (Max)]. Or is the error also present when AOD is enabled? I have AOD off.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Given the battery life of the new models why not just use "Lift to Wake" it's pretty much foolproof and although it may contribute to battery loss (a little) I find its negligible even with my iPhone SE 2.
I had that turned on for a while but I shut it off. Every time I picked the phone up to bring it to a different room or just to move it around on my desk, it would turn on. I know that's essentially the definition of Lift to Wake, but I don't like that aspect of it. I need the phone to be psychic and just know when I want it to turn on. 😉

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I had that turned on for a while but I shut it off. Every time I picked the phone up to bring it to a different room or just to move it around on my desk, it would turn on. I know that's essentially the definition of Lift to Wake, but I don't like that aspect of it. I need the phone to be psychic and just know when I want it to turn on. 😉
Raise to wake is pretty smart. If you lift the phone upside down (charging port up) the screen won't turn on. The screen will also turn off immediately if it was turned on from lifting if you tilt it that way after the fact as long as Face ID hasn't scanned you. Screen facing down to the floor won't light up either. Basically, the right tilt will make it stay off.

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Here's a different possibility; just recently my iPhone SE 2 started not waking when I pressed my "Home" button (you remember those things) so I did a little research. I was surprised to find that a number of SE 2 users had the same problem which was attributed to firmware changes in iOS 16. The problem is easily fixed by a forced restart. Vol up, vol down, hold power button until apple icon appears and release. This fixed my issue, no repeats after a week. Worth a try?

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Here's a different possibility; just recently my iPhone SE 2 started not waking when I pressed my "Home" button (you remember those things) so I did a little research. I was surprised to find that a number of SE 2 users had the same problem which was attributed to firmware changes in iOS 16. The problem is easily fixed by a forced restart. Vol up, vol down, hold power button until apple icon appears and release. This fixed my issue, no repeats after a week. Worth a try?
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, this didn't solve the issue for me.

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Well interesting that you say that because I started having the same problem with my iPad 6. I did the forced restart thing and it seems, so far, to have worked with it as well.
Of course I'm talking about devices with a "Home" button as opposed to "tap to wake" so the problem may have model specific solutions.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.