Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Happening on my 13 pro max for a while now. I can’t remember exactly when it started. Super annoying.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Indeed, it's super annoying. Sometimes, it even completely refuses to work even when I tap the display like 10 times (then I have to use the side button).

Reactions: Lyn2012

DJ Rob

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2020
Happens about once a month or so on my XS Max. No rhyme or reason- just a dead slab that won't wake on tap. Side button will wake it and tapping will work fine for days or weeks afterward.

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
14 Pro. Happens to me multiple times per day. On 16.5 now, still happens.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Happened rarely for me on my 13 Pro Max. Happens a bit more frequently on my 14 Pro Max. The 14 Pro I bought right before this - it happens a lot... like daily. But my 14 Pro Max, maybe once every few weeks? (13 Pro Max was maybe once every month or so).

Reminds me of rooting my android phones back in the day and down clocking voltage on the CPU so bad that the phone almost didn't wake up. lol.

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Personally I use Raise to Wake exclusively being available since the iPhone 6s.
But I wonder how many of the above users have both Raise to Wake and Tap to Wake enabled?
I have an iPhone SE 2 at the moment so TtW is not available, that was introduced with the iPhone X when the Home button was removed.
So, I wonder if there could be a conflict between the two functions?

Easy to check this; Turn both TtW and RtW off, restart or turn the iPhone then turn it back on and enable TtW.
If it now works as expected you could try turning RtW back on. If this results in the same old problem then one or the other will need to be turned off as there is clearly a conflict between the two settings.

Sadly, I cant test this theory as I don't have TtW, indeed it may not be possible to turn both off. If so, simply turn off Raise to Wake and restart.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Personally I use Raise to Wake exclusively being available since the iPhone 6s.
But I wonder how many of the above users have both Raise to Wake and Tap to Wake enabled?
I have an iPhone SE 2 at the moment so TtW is not available, that was introduced with the iPhone X when the Home button was removed.
So, I wonder if there could be a conflict between the two functions?

Easy to check this; Turn both TtW and RtW off, restart or turn the iPhone then turn it back on and enable TtW.
If it now works as expected you could try turning RtW back on. If this results in the same old problem then one or the other will need to be turned off as there is clearly a conflict between the two settings.

Sadly, I cant test this theory as I don't have TtW, indeed it may not be possible to turn both off. If so, simply turn off Raise to Wake and restart.
I don’t have raise to wake turned on. I did for a little while when I first got the phone but it turning on whenever I picked the phone up got really annoying so I turned it off. I have the tap to wake issue sometimes. I’ve always thought maybe I’m tapping too lightly. I have a similar issue on my AW8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.