Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Anyone else having seemingly random speed issues using TapaTalk app (I’m on iPhone)? It’s 15:30 GMT in the UK it’s almost unusable where it times out saying I’m not signed in (then proceeds to show the thread or post in question, or it just takes an inordinate amount of time to show the selected post? This has been going on for a couple of weeks now.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Anyone else having seemingly random speed issues using TapaTalk app (I’m on iPhone)? It’s 15:30 GMT in the UK it’s almost unusable where it times out saying I’m not signed in (then proceeds to show the thread or post in question, or it just takes an inordinate amount of time to show the selected post? This has been going on for a couple of weeks now.

I am also experiencing this, most recently even opening this thread!

@arn is this a Macrumors forum issue or a Tapatalk issue, do you think?

Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
I am also experiencing this, most recently even opening this thread!

@arn is this a Macrumors forum issue or a Tapatalk issue, do you think?

Glad it’s not just me but sorry you’re having the issue as well. It’s usable at least 50% of the time.

I’ve messaged Tapatalk a while ago about another bug in peoples listings but I’ve had no response so I’m not going to send another message to be greeted with nothing but silence.

Reactions: gwhizkids

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Glad it’s not just me but sorry you’re having the issue as well. It’s usable at least 50% of the time.

I’ve messaged Tapatalk a while ago about another bug in peoples listings but I’ve had no response so I’m not going to send another message to be greeted with nothing but silence.
Tapatalk is a necessary evil, however there's some talk that push notifications will finally be allowed in IOS, this is the main thing holding board owners back from simply using responsive mobile designs on their own platforms. It currently works for Android but Apple has been hesitant to pull the trigger, though it sounds like it's coming.

Once this happens Tapatalk will no longer be the only option for a middle man. They serve a need but they take a piece of your pie by placing ads on their platform for your board, users are often confused about support, and are basically a pain for forum owners to have to deal with.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
It's likely a Taptalk issue, since we have really no control over that infrastructure.

Are we (the end user) SOL then? Your site is barely usable now, and Tapatalk support are not replying to my emails.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your site is barely usable now, and Tapatalk support are not replying to my emails.
In this instance, its not MacRumors, but Tapatalk. The forum is behaving within normal expectations, you're using an application to interface with MacRumors and that application is not functioning as expected. My recommendation is to use Safari or some other browser

MacRumors AFAIK, has no relationship with Tapatalk, so any issues with using Tapatalk needs to be addressed by them

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
In this instance, its not MacRumors, but Tapatalk. The forum is behaving within normal expectations, you're using an application to interface with MacRumors and that application is not functioning as expected. My recommendation is to use Safari or some other browser

MacRumors AFAIK, has no relationship with Tapatalk, so any issues with using Tapatalk needs to be addressed by them
And MR is far from alone in this situation - there are plenty of other forums that can get mangled badly by Tapatalk.

Tapatalk is a totally independent app to XenForo and as such it simply tries to handle the underlying forum data to display it in an app. This is handled by the Tapatalk plugin loaded into the Forum. In addition Tapatalk can be used with multiple different forum frameworks, including vBulliten, phpBB and MyBB.

When the folks at a Forum such as MR make changes to their site, they have no requirement to ensure it also works with Tapatalk. That’s all on Tapatalk and Tapatalk only.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England

Thanks. I thought your forums had to have a TapaTalk plug-in? Could be wrong tho. Anyway will try mailing them again.

Reactions: maflynn

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
It has periods of being either very slow or unusable. It’s 18:18GMT now and very slow.
That may not necessarily be the fault of the site. There are a lot of hops between them and you.

Aside from what I assume was an outage the other day, I've had no real issues connecting.

ShrimpScampi

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2021
Tapatalk is just strange atm. I’ve also been receiving this pop up from time to time while on the app (not sure if that’s a tapatalk popup or an iPhone popup), particularly when browsing image heavy threads like the one about iPhone PM photos.

Attachments

• 970EE8FF-11FF-4530-B697-B3B34EABBE52.jpeg
    970EE8FF-11FF-4530-B697-B3B34EABBE52.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 204

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I could be wrong, as I'm not privy to the inner workings of how the forum is set up but if there is a plugin, its done so as a courtesy to allow tapatalk users to use that software but by no means is something that the site owners manage, or supports. I don't just mean MacRumors, but forums in general. Tapatalk provides a service, and they're the ones that need to support that service.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
I am still having major problems with Tapatalk on all forums. As admin at Tapatalk are continuously refusing to respond to my messages, I’m just wondering if people are still having problems here? I believe that Tapatalk said they introduced a backend fix to speed up the application, but it is totally unusable for me about 90% of the time on both my iPhone, iPad and on Wi-Fi or 4G/5G.

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I could be wrong, as I'm not privy to the inner workings of how the forum is set up but if there is a plugin, its done so as a courtesy to allow tapatalk users to use that software but by no means is something that the site owners manage, or supports. I don't just mean MacRumors, but forums in general. Tapatalk provides a service, and they're the ones that need to support that service.
Right, it's just a simple gateway and that's it. As reported here on MR though, Apple is close to allowing push notifications in web apps to allow for notifications on iOS devices (the last to hold out as Android already has it) and once that happens there will no longer be a any need for forum owners to be held hostage by Tapatalk.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I am still having major problems with Tapatalk on all forums. As admin at Tapatalk are continuously refusing to respond to my messages, I’m just wondering if people are still having problems here? I believe that Tapatalk said they introduced a backend fix to speed up the application, but it is totally unusable for me about 90% of the time on both my iPhone, iPad and on Wi-Fi or 4G/5G.

Tapatalk confirmed to me yesterday that they are still working on the issue. They know it exists. Still maddening but something.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I get periodic timeouts and login issues, and it seems to be getting more frequent of late. Not sure what is up with the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.