Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Progressively getting worse for me with more and more notifications going back even further. Now getting them back to the 18th of this month.

Don’t suppose you’ve heard from the developers about this? There is no point in me messaging them anymore because they don’t reply.

I have reached out but will. Keep you posted.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Not getting any badges at all now for this app, but when I go into it there are literally dozens of repeat notifications as always. My mind boggles as to why the developers allow this to happen in the first place but more specifically why they never address these all too frequent issues in a timely manner nor communicate with the free and paying customers. Awful company.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Here’s the response I got:

“Thanks for checking in and thanks for reporting this.
The issue is currently still being worked on by our technical team.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this is causing.
Our team should have it fixed shortly.”

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Personally, not seeing much in the way of a problem. I switch back and forth between Tapatalk and macOS Safari, depending on where I am... but haven't noticed any slowdowns in quite a while, apart from some wonkiness with dark mode briefly Tuesday night.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Not that I am aware of unfortunately.

I am using the website more now. Tapatalk is quite simply no longer fit for purpose and hasn’t been for month after month.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Notifications screwed again for anyone else?

Back to the old rigmarole of repeat notifications for threads that are hours old that I have already visited.

I’ve finally cancelled my auto renewal of the VIP subscription.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Mine is still being a biatch now! I get the badge but then nothing when I go in to the app.

Edit: or I will eventually get repeat after repeat…again!

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Mine is still being a biatch now! I get the badge but then nothing when I go in to the app.

Edit: or I will eventually get repeat after repeat…again!

Tapatalk appears to be misbehaving again. The main page is not updating to show new posts. Frustrating…

Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Sorry, didn’t know you had replied. Because Tapatalk is no longer sending any notifications for me I’m losing out on all new posts (and the main page too as you say). So I did a search for this one to come and comment and then saw your post.

As I have cancelled my renewal of VIP, I don’t suppose I have much right to bitch about this (far too often) absolute piece of **** software, but I will carry on doing so anyway LOL

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Sadly, I don’t think there are any other options. But Tapatalk really is not fit for purpose anymore.

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
Is There Any other option to replace TapaTalk

Sort of - use your browser. It's fully responsive and looks/works fine on mobile with the exception of not having push notifications when accessing via the web.

Tapatalk isn't hugely liked by many forum admins - we ditched it on my own forum due to worries about the unfettered access Tapatalk has to forum/user data, plus the lack of control over the app or monetisation. Responses from staff were so slow and the whole company seemed too vague about things.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much competition but I am surprised a site with Mac Rumors' clout doesn't have the funding/desire to get a custom-made app sorted.

As stated above, a major headache for forums has been the lack of push notifications on iOS (in Safari) which has stalled proper development of the forum via a browser, but this is supposed to hopefully - finally - be coming to iOS at some point. Then, accessing forums via browsers should give a similar experience to standalone app.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.