Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I really can’t argue against that sentiment.

This app really is the most unreliable piece of **** I’ve ever had to use. Unfortunately, there is very little else to use, and it certainly beats, on the odd occasion that it works reliably, any web forum.

It still isn’t fix correctly now, and keep showing repeated notifications of very old threads, which I’ve been to multiple times. I really do wish there was an alternative to Tapatalk because quite frankly IMO, this doesn’t deserve to keep going.

That says a lot about the state of web based forums that we would put up with the truly awful performance of Tapatalk rather than have to view these threads on a browser!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm surprised MR still pays for Tapatalk.
I don't think that's correct, there's been a number of posts in this thread, that the plugin is more of a courtesy by the site owner and there's no business relationship AFAIK

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I don't think that's correct, there's been a number of posts in this thread, that the plugin is more of a courtesy by the site owner and there's no business relationship AFAIK
I don't know definitively. On another forum I visit, the owner said he wasn't going to pay for it to be in Tapatalk any longer, so assumed that's how Tapatalk makes their money and forum owners paid to be a part of that network. 🤷

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Screwed again for me, just by way of a change. I get a notification badge but when I go into view the threads, there is nothing updated. Been like this for about 24 hours on both my iPhone and iPad.

Pink2

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2020
Screwed again for me, just by way of a change. I get a notification badge but when I go into view the threads, there is nothing updated. Been like this for about 24 hours on both my iPhone and iPad.

Same here

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I had to nuke my account and rebuild it as it was not recognizing my password and would throw an error if I tried to reset the password.

And now that I have, my VIP to remove ads is not working.

Not thrilled about this.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
I had to nuke my account and rebuild it as it was not recognizing my password and would throw an error if I tried to reset the password.

And now that I have, my VIP to remove ads is not working.

Not thrilled about this.

Just on the off chance, have you used the restore purchase option which normally exists in paid for apps?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Just on the off chance, have you used the restore purchase option which normally exists in paid for apps?

Yes, I did try that. It just said it couldn’t connect to the iTunes Store and did nothing.

However, Chris from Tapatalk reached out (as I had emailed him about this issue) and he reset my password on my old account from his end. That worked and now I’m back on my old, ad-less account. Now I’m happy again!

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Yes, I did try that. It just said it couldn’t connect to the iTunes Store and did nothing.

However, Chris from Tapatalk reached out (as I had emailed him about this issue) and he reset my password on my old account from his end. That worked and now I’m back on my old, ad-less account. Now I’m happy again!

Awesome! Chris is great. He's restored my access to their forums too. I thought I was banned but it turned out I had no access to the user groups. He's the best support there, certainly in my experience.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Awesome! Chris is great. He's restored my access to their forums too. I thought I was banned but it turned out I had no access to the user groups. He's the best support there, certainly in my experience.
I can't even remember how I found him. Probably he responded to my call for help. Definitely happy with his willingness to help.

Reactions: StumpyBloke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.