Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This app is now a full blown disaster. Nothing loads and it’s constantly pinging me to log in to MacRumors. And then won’t log me in. I can’t recall ever seeing an app so fail of it’s essential purpose. My working theory is still that they got hit with a ransomware attack. What else could possibly explain the disaster this has become? I will likely also unsubscribe as a VIP. But I will reach out to my contact there one more time to see what’s what.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
It certainly does make you wonder what is going on behind the scenes. I know I am very negative when it comes to Tapatalk, but I don’t think I’m being over the top when I say it is no longer fit for purpose.

I think it needs closing down forever. The devs are either unable, or unwilling to provide a reliable service. And how they have still got the cheek to ask you to pay for it is beyond me.

It will be very interesting to see what response they come back to you with. They have completely blocked me now, well at least, they never even acknowledge my requests for help.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This app is now a full blown disaster. Nothing loads and it’s constantly pinging me to log in to MacRumors. And then won’t log me in. I can’t recall ever seeing an app so fail of it’s essential purpose. My working theory is still that they got hit with a ransomware attack. What else could possibly explain the disaster this has become? I will likely also unsubscribe as a VIP. But I will reach out to my contact there one more time to see what’s what.
Just sent a fairly long message to my contact at Tapatalk. I’m sure they are aware of the issues. But they need to hear that they are about to lose everyone if they can’t get this permanently straightened out very very soon.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Ok. This is what I got back. We’ll see…

Thanks for checking in.
Our technical team has found the root cause of the issue and is working on a fix. Apologies for the interruption this issue has been causing! Chris Tapatalk Support

Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Cheers. Well it is working at the moment. But I think past history dictates that it’s not wise to hold one’s breath with this anymore. At least they got back to you. Have a good weekend

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Cheers. Well it is working at the moment. But I think past history dictates that it’s not wise to hold one’s breath with this anymore. At least they got back to you. Have a good weekend
It is not working for me. I tap (note my use of the word that’s part of the app name) on a thread and the only thing that happens is that it goes from unread to read. 😡

jimm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2022
Tapatalk depends on a plugin on the forum to “connect” to TT
If the plugin is deemed out of date by TT then yes service may cease.
The TT plugin is also a) not secure (due to insecure defaults) and b) buggy
I have found in the past TT to be the cause of up to 30 second posting times on a forum I manage - the delay being the response time from the TT servers for the new post. In my case disabling the TT forum plugin got the posting speeds back to normal. A plugin update by TT fixed this.
So I would rather not support TT on the forum I manage but members requested it.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Ok. Now working normally for me. I recognize the deficiencies of this app but when its working it’s so much easier than navigating the web version on mobile.

That said, I would be interested in knowing if MR would consider an app. I would certainly use it and an reasonably certain a lot of others would too. But I recognize also that there are probably large development costs associated with an app. @Arnold.

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
So I would rather not support TT on the forum I manage but members requested it

I had similar with my forum but honestly, after a short period people got used to using the forum in a browser which is just as good (aside from lack of push notifications - though on Xenforo 1.x there's a workaround using an addon to use Pushover).

Obviously if you're using a platform or theme that's not good on mobile it's a different situation, YMMV etc.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Why is anyone still using this? It was needed years ago before anyone had responsive optimized websites that work with mobile devices, but now? I haven't used Tapatalk in so long. I just go to the forums in question directly from my browser on my mobile devices.

Reactions: JW5566

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Why is anyone still using this? It was needed years ago before anyone had responsive optimized websites that work with mobile devices, but now? I haven't used Tapatalk in so long. I just go to the forums in question directly from my browser on my mobile devices.

I still (try to) still use it because I can’t get the web version to give me the same kind of feed that Tapatalk does.

Now that might be something that I’m doing wrong of course.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

Frankly, it’s just a much smoother experience … when it works. Not even close for me. I hate browsing forums on mobile browsers.

Reactions: max2

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
UPDATE:

It’s working for me again. Nothing beats smoothness and ease for forums like Tapatalk. I tried web option this past weekend and wasn’t a fan.

Reactions: gwhizkids

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Tapatalk screwed again for me on all of my devices. I get the badge indicating new posts, but when I go into the app, nothing is highlighted. What a PoS!

Reactions: Pink2

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Mine is working in regards to the fact it’s now showing new posts. But it is also repeating previous notifications and posts I have been to already!!!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I had no sub updates for months. A load of crap!

I had the same issue (since June) and emailed their support. Think the first email was never followed up on, while the support staff responding to my 2nd email was quite polite and responsive. A while later, I started getting motif notifications to replies in Macrumours, but then it recently stopped again a few days ago.

Emailed customer support again, and I just received the 20+ notifications from the last 3 days all at one go. Not sure where the issue lay (seems server related), or how long it will persist (seems intermittent), but yeah, that’s that.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Don’t suppose you’ve heard from their “developers“?

I hadn’t reached out yet, but probably would have if it had continued. Like others, mine is now working again as of this morning.

They are screwed up. This doesn’t seem like it should be so hard as they’ve done it for years (realizing of course that things do change and stuff like this is harder than it appears).

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Y'all are dedicated! This thread is almost 9 months old, if I was having this kind of trouble with any app it would have been deleted long ago!

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
I really can’t argue against that sentiment.

This app really is the most unreliable piece of **** I’ve ever had to use. Unfortunately, there is very little else to use, and it certainly beats, on the odd occasion that it works reliably, any web forum.

It still isn’t fix correctly now, and keep showing repeated notifications of very old threads, which I’ve been to multiple times. I really do wish there was an alternative to Tapatalk because quite frankly IMO, this doesn’t deserve to keep going.

Reactions: gwhizkids
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.