Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Admittedly, I haven't been following this thread so I'm not sure if @arn has implemented yet but on iOS16.4 and above the web app is now fully functional with this board and it works great, allowing for instant push notifications and all natively. No more need for Tatpalk and forum owners can enjoy controlling their own content again.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Admittedly, I haven't been following this thread so I'm not sure if @arn has implemented yet but on iOS16.4 and above the web app is now fully functional with this board and it works great, allowing for instant push notifications and all natively. No more need for Tatpalk and forum owners can enjoy controlling their own content again.

I doubt I’d visit here very often if it were not for Tapatalk. It’s a clean and clutter-less app and great if multiple forums use it.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I doubt I’d visit here very often if it were not for Tapatalk. It’s a clean and clutter-less app and great if multiple forums use it.
Right, and I get that some people are married to it. But when it comes to real time notifications in a native environment with no need for third party apps this is the way it will trend. For forum owners this was the biggest appeal to Tapatalk but they also take a cut of your forum in return, holding you hostage for that functionality, that is no longer the case.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

I know how to set up the web app in macOS. How is it done on iOS/ipadOS?

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I know how to set up the web app in macOS. How is it done on iOS/ipadOS?
Exact same way, it works on both as long as you are on iOS/iPad0S 16.4 and above (assuming Arn has updated to the latest version of Xenforo and I have no idea whether he has or not).

Setting it up is easy:
  • On this site go to your Preferences and make sure "Push Notifications" is set to enable. Also accept the prompt the board gives you at the bottom if you haven't already.
  • Make sure you've updated your iPhone/iPad to iOS 16.4 or above.
  • Open the site and login with Safari on you iPhone/iPad.
  • Add the site to your iPhone/iPad as a page - tap the settings button at the bottom of the page when on the site home page, then tap "Add to Home Screen".

Reactions: StumpyBloke

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Seems Tapatalk changed and many forums won’t be supporting very soon.
How about MacRumors?

4d94fcb84789aeda39ea25f5aeb2439b.jpg

14155ad36c6338a7fab8182e70deddef.jpg

95df49937f9faa995a29a76611fb60c3.jpg

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Seems Tapatalk changed and many forums won’t be supporting very soon.
How about MacRumors?

4d94fcb84789aeda39ea25f5aeb2439b.jpg

14155ad36c6338a7fab8182e70deddef.jpg

95df49937f9faa995a29a76611fb60c3.jpg
Seems to be a few leaving. I’ve not used Tapatalk for a while but got an email from a reptile forum today to tell me they are leaving

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
England
Yep I’ve had an email too saying TapaTalk is changing hands and due to system changes a Ford forum is leaving with immediate effect. This doesn’t bode well for the future of TT IMO.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Exact same way, it works on both as long as you are on iOS/iPad0S 16.4 and above (assuming Arn has updated to the latest version of Xenforo and I have no idea whether he has or not).

Setting it up is easy:
  • On this site go to your Preferences and make sure "Push Notifications" is set to enable. Also accept the prompt the board gives you at the bottom if you haven't already.
  • Make sure you've updated your iPhone/iPad to iOS 16.4 or above.
  • Open the site and login with Safari on you iPhone/iPad.
  • Add the site to your iPhone/iPad as a page - tap the settings button at the bottom of the page when on the site home page, then tap "Add to Home Screen".

This is what I am seeing on iOS. Does this mean the site has not been updated?

d18b5a7ef8362771ac172c10bdb71517.jpg

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Yep I’ve had an email too saying TapaTalk is changing hands and due to system changes a Ford forum is leaving with immediate effect. This doesn’t bode well for the future of TT IMO.
Their biggest driver was push notifications and while you could get them with Android, you could not with iOS until recently (with 16.4 and above). Apple was the last holdout and it is a major player in the game, now that it's becoming native I suspect Tapatalk eventually go the way the dinosaur as a third party app. It makes sense that they sold to try and get out while they still can.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
That is an @arn question.
You guys are currently on more dated version which does not have the latest changes for PWA (and dates back to September 2021). The latest is v.2.2.13 which is what's needed for it to work. So unless staff here has added their own custom code since iOS 16.4 it will not be functional on this version.

Last edited:

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Hi,

I've been using Tapatalk app to on mobile devices and tablets to access MacRumors Forums for a number of years.

During the past few days, it appears that access to MacRumors forums is timing out. The same occurs from my wifi network at home, office wifi and over mobile phone networks with wifi disabled.

Is Tapatalk no longer working or might there be something else occurring?

Thanks.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi,

I've been using Tapatalk app to on mobile devices and tablets to access MacRumors Forums for a number of years.

During the past few days, it appears that access to MacRumors forums is timing out. The same occurs from my wifi network at home, office wifi and over mobile phone networks with wifi disabled.

Thanks.

Working fine for me. (replying via Tapatalk).

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hi,

Thanks.

No issues for me now. Several days ago it did log me out but once I signed in again it stayed signed in.

Reactions: edubfromktown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.