Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Ted Lasso is Apple TV+'s latest comedy series, with 81% Rotten Tomatoes and 70 Metacritic scores.

I admit to cringing at their teaser trailer, but the show is really really good. Really good. It doesn't go for cheap jokes (few exceptions of course) and it has an awful lot of heart. You don't have to like soccer/football, or sports for that matter, to enjoy this feel-good show.

The series stars Jason Sudekis, Hannah Waddingham (Septa "Shame!" Unella from Game of Thrones), and Juno Temple in her star making role.

Reactions: Khalanad75

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Love the show so far for its goofy fun. I agree it's got a lot of heart. I'm not sure what you mean though about this being Juno Temple's "star making role." She's been doing films and TV for 20 years.

DaveWil

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
Is the show meant for Americans or English? It is a fish out of water story so is it assumed that the audience is the fish or where the fish lands?

dorkimoe

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2019
I am really enjoying these, not as funny as I expected, but a real feel good show

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Good to watch episode 4 last night. This show has a lot of heart, especially when least expected. For me the funniest little moment was when Higgins reacts to the dance music.

fricotin

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico
Ted Lasso is Apple TV+'s latest comedy series, with 81% Rotten Tomatoes and 70 Metacritic scores.

I admit to cringing at their teaser trailer, but the show is really really good. Really good. It doesn't go for cheap jokes (few exceptions of course) and it has an awful lot of heart. You don't have to like soccer/football, or sports for that matter, to enjoy this feel-good show.

The series stars Jason Sudekis, Hannah Waddingham (Septa "Shame!" Unella from Game of Thrones), and Juno Temple in her star making role.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
Would you all say it is funny/good from the start or does it get good later on? I havent noticed anything funny thus far in ep 1.

i suggested to my partner we watch together and im feeling embarrassed.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Would you all say it is funny/good from the start or does it get good later on? I havent noticed anything funny thus far in ep 1.

i suggested to my partner we watch together and im feeling embarrassed.
Stick with it, it gets better

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
How many episodes did you get through?

I just watched the 5th tonight. I mean i like the characters, just the story and humor feels a bit dull. Its got its heart in the right place though so it is at least pleasant to just casually watch. I also feel like things just happen and end, and im not eager to find what happens next. Like his wife shows up and then doesnt want to try anymore and im like okay, whatever, but to whatever was happening before that i guess.

i cant put my finger on it.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I just watched the 5th tonight. I mean i like the characters, just the story and humor feels a bit dull. Its got its heart in the right place though so it is at least pleasant to just casually watch. I also feel like things just happen and end, and im not eager to find what happens next. Like his wife shows up and then doesnt want to try anymore and im like okay, whatever, but to whatever was happening before that i guess.

i cant put my finger on it.
Well, it was explained why he took the job in the UK because of their relationship and bits about it had been revealed before that too. She came over to tell him in person about breaking up, a pretty decent thing to do. I like this show a lot and some of that is because of the way small things that happen between the characters.

A small almost throwaway line happened last night when it was revealed it's been Ted making the cookies he gives to Rebecca every day. In a previous episode she comments to someone other than Ted (maybe it was Higgins) that she's looked everywhere but can't find the bake shop where they're made. Last night he simply says while handing the box to her, "I think I finally got the recipe right." It's little things like that I find very endearing.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
yeah, it's more of the same. not feeling this show at all. i like that it is trying to be feel good, but it just isn't funny.
If your expectation is "laugh out funny" comedy, Ted Lasso definitely isn't it. It is a dramedy like The Good Place and Scrubs -- occasionally very funny, but often serious. The last episode was in part sad even.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If your expectation is "laugh out funny" comedy, Ted Lasso definitely isn't it. It is a dramedy like The Good Place and Scrubs -- occasionally very funny, but often serious. The last episode was in part sad even.
I don't know, Scrubs was very often laugh out loud funny. I'm enjoying Ted Lasso, but it mostly has a somewhat different feel to it (even through though there similarities as well).

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I definitely laughed out loud with Ted Lasso ... Nathan's speech? Yeah that was pretty funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.