Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
I like the show although I wouldn't categorize it as a comedy. There is plenty of drama going on... it's a play on Major League in idea but quickly diverges from that theme. Ignore what Apple calls it and just judge for yourself. You'll either like it or hate it.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Ted Lasso is a show that shouldn't work. But somehow does.

It exists in a tricky place, at the nexus of 21st century British and American culture and sensibilities, sports, business, humour, and society. The British class system, with it's onion-like layering of accents, and schools, and money, and races and regions is something that Ted cheerfully ignores. To his ultimate credit. Likewise the vicious, brutal British tabloid press - a beast that has brought countless predecessors to grief.

Ted isn't perfect, and neither is the show. But somehow, against all the odds, it leaves me with a smile on my face.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
The original skit with the character years prior to this show, was a bit eye-roll inducing, so expectations were very low for this.

But, I've loved it. Very charming show, some good characters, a little of bit of cheese and some little arcs here and there, plus an appearance by Cam Cole who I'm a big fan of.

One of those shows where I wish the entire season was out so I could watch it all in one sitting.

Reactions: JasonHB and vrDrew

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014
I like the show although I wouldn't categorize it as a comedy. There is plenty of drama going on... it's a play on Major League in idea but quickly diverges from that theme. Ignore what Apple calls it and just judge for yourself. You'll either like it or hate it.

Unfortunately, anything that isn't an all-out Drama is considered Comedy (look at Golden Globes nominations the last few years, and it's clear the Comedy category is pretty much a catch-all categories).

Somewhat related, I wish the TV and Music app allowed to put more than one genre to any given piece of media... an Action film can also be a Comedy or a Sci-Fi/Fantasy can also be a Drama, and I'd like to stop the proliferation of Music genres in my library (do I need Pop/Indie AND Indie Pop? Rock/Alt Rock/Indie Rock/ Indie /Alternative?...)

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Great show! Fun atmosphere and very well written, good job Apple! Let's get more smart shows on Apple TV+!

Reactions: 0128672

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Got caught up last night. Ted's Panic Attack and then the Darts scene against Rupert might be my favorite moments of the series so far. I just love how positive this show is, even though I know the panic attack isn't positive, but Sudaikis acted the hell out of that scene.

Reactions: IamScotty

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Got caught up last night. Ted's Panic Attack and then the Darts scene against Rupert might be my favorite moments of the series so far. I just love how positive this show is, even though I know the panic attack isn't positive, but Sudaikis acted the hell out of that scene.

Agreed! This show is very positive! I hope Apple makes more positive shows like this!

Reactions: Jxdawg

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Check mate, mate. 🤣
And the way it was delivered was perfect. I am already in Ted Lasso withdrawal; let's hope we don't have to wait 6+ months for S2. Rewatching season 1 will be just as fun though and I bet there's some more little exchanges we may have missed.

Reactions: matrix07

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I am already in Ted Lasso withdrawal; let's hope we don't have to wait 6+ months for S2.
One more episode! 6+ months for S2 sounds too optimistic. 12+ months at the very least. Perhaps Ted Lasso will pull Mythic Quest and surprise us with a bonus episode?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
just watched episodes 1-9 based on endorsements from MR

“Dad, what’s a wanker?”
“It’s a man who likes to be alone with his
thoughts.”

Haha

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Wait, wait! There's a new episode? I don't know why I thought last week's episode 9 was the season end. Hooray, this makes my day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.