Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Just got my s5 Apple Watch. On the first charge - 4 hours 33 minutes of usage and 25 hours of standby. Still had about 7% remaining. One workout for about 30 minutes.

Settings:

hey Siri off
backgournd refresh off
rasise to wake on
always on display on
noise off

Reactions: techno-Zen

tamara6

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
Just got my s5 Apple Watch. On the first charge - 4 hours 33 minutes of usage and 25 hours of standby. Still had about 7% remaining. One workout for about 30 minutes.

So this is about 3.7% per hour of standby. I think it might be more useful to report battery drain this way, so that people who don't wear their watch for 24+ hours can still compare their drain, to see if it is in line with what others have.

My battery drain each day is between 3.2% and 3.5% per hour.

For the people who have watches that last 28 or 39 hours, what is your actual per hour battery drain?

Reactions: Otflyer

otech

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Australia
Here is something I just tried, and from all indications - has worked.

I have tried everything including IPSW updates with no backup restore and nothing worked - I have many devices in active use and a lot of past devices I have donated on to family or sold. Many of these still appear in the iCloud pref pane on my Macs.

In my case and some others it appears to be an issue with Keychain/AppleId synchronisation, specifically I believe it to be related to how AppleId uses other devices as a form of MFA when you sign into iCloud on a new device and it requests the PIN/Password of another device.

In my case, my Watch and phone were going flat for a week by 3-5pm, where they would typically last over 24 hours before. Nothing I did stopped it, but I did notice various devices randomly requiring me to sign back into iCloud to "restore all services". This made me suspect it was AppleId related.

I got the main hint from noticing a MacBook running with fans on due to a process TrustedPeersHelper using a full core flat out.

Searching that process led me to this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dmbuj5
Based on some comments from that thread, what I did was:

1. Shut down ALL iOS devices
2. On Macs, I ran (first one deletes a database about trusted devices for the AppleId):

> rm -f ~/Library/Keychains/*/com.apple.security.keychain-defaultContext.TrustedPeersHelper.{db,db-shm,db-wal}

Followed by (which resets "CuttleFish" - can't find any documentation on this but I believe to be an iCloud service for syncing this database):

> tpctl reset

I then shut them down.

3. With all devices shut down, I booted a single Mac, and went to preferences and re-signed in as prompted (reseting the cuttlefish service seems to lose all the device trusts I guess - but doesn't actually sign you out of iCloud).

4. Once signed in, I reviewed the list of devices associated to the AppleId, and cleaned them out.

5. I rebooted the Mac and left it for 10 minutes to re-build the local database deleted earlier.

6. Booted another Mac and signed in and waited for its keychain to rebuild and rebooted it.

7. One by one, I restarted iOS devices, signed them back in from settings as prompted.

immediately my iOS devices are drawing a normal amount and TrustedPeersHelper on the Macs are using pretty much no CPU time.

It took a while for each device to settle down again, and the iPhone needed me to -look- at the iMessage settings to get it working again properly.

I don't know which part fixed it, but I did have about 10 old devices still bound to my AppleId that are now gone- fingers crossed it keeps working for me and helps others :)

Last edited:

otech

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Australia
A couple of days later, I can confirm this has now resolved my persistent and frustrating battery issues!

Searching Cuttlefish and tpctl yields also nothing regarding TrustedPeersHelper or the iCloud service that caused this issue - just putting these terms in again in the hope someone with knowledge of these services could share what they know to help folks in future - and potentially alert Apple to this issue.

Reactions: BillGates1969

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Just got mine yesterday, today is the first day of full use after a battery charge. I have AOD and everything else on. From 9:30am to 12:30 I'm down to 88%, is this typical? Doesn't seem terrible, although I would worry about my morning workouts which I didn't do today.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Just got mine yesterday, today is the first day of full use after a battery charge. I have AOD and everything else on. From 9:30am to 12:30 I'm down to 88%, is this typical? Doesn't seem terrible, although I would worry about my morning workouts which I didn't do today.

sounds fine to me

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Exactly how much I get. Around 4% per hour discharge.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
So maybe my watch is better than I think it is then. I get a drain of about 1.5% the first two hours, then 2 and after 4 hours it is 2.5 to 3% and by 6 hours it is 3%. So my concern is the drain is accelerating without me doing anything different than checking the time and looking at the occasional notification. is this a good battery? I checked it out in an Applestore but the measurements showed battery was ok. I have most things turned off except AOD. No noise, RTW, no cellular, lowest display intensity, no Siri unless I use the crown. Don’t understand why it doesnt show a steady drain instead of an increasing one,

I have a series 2 watch and if it doesn’t connect to the iphone I have 100% after 3 hours and then it drains 1% per hour! However not connecting to the iPhone kind of defeats the purpose but as an extreme measure when you want the battery to last, maybe,

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I completely wiped, removed every single app I could including stock apps like “now playing” and put in theater mode all day and my battery still drained like crazy. Useable and standby times matched. This I crazy.

slavikatsarov

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
Bulgaria
My battery start draining again and more than ever before..... I've tried again unpair/pair the watch but no results ..... It's terrible .... Apple wtf are you doing ?
I've disconnected from charger two hours ago and now is 90% already it want last till the end of the day!!!

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
1574500548129.png

I’m at 52% left on the battery.

Reactions: techno-Zen

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
For people who are having battery issues, you have tried to turn off AOD to see if that is the issue. i know that for alot of times where I need my watch to stretch, i use a basic watch with more black surface area to make sure i'm draining as little as possible. I noticed that when i'm using a display with more complications, it does drain more.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I have a S4 SS Cellular 44mm. My average day,which starts at 1pm, concluded at home, which is 2am, with about 65% life left.

I shattered the screen and had it replaced at Apple via home delivery.

First thing I noticed after setting up as a NEW watch was the battery drained to about 90% from 100% in one hour with my 'normal daily usage'. I attributed this to any type of syncing of apps and the usual BS excuses...
By 11pm my watch was battery dead on the first day.

After a couple of more days, same thing.

Took the watch to Apple and they replaced it in about 2 days in-store.

Yet again. Same drainage on the battery and I was about to take the watch back yet again.

One thing I noticed was that somehow, my Apple Watch app on my phone was showing my previous replacement as still available. This shouldn't be and I proceeded to delete this watch from my profile.

This is about the day that the newest WatchOS hit the net so I downloaded and applied it.

Voila!!

My battery life is even better than my original watch and I am ending my day at around 77% charge with the same usage.

Not sure which variable improved the battery life, but just a little extra info if you are still having shatty life.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
sounds fine to me

Exactly how much I get. Around 4% per hour discharge.

Seems to be worse than that, but still doable. By the end of the day (watch off charger around 9am and back on charger around 10pm) it's at around 40-50% without a workout in the morning. My AW3 with the same use would easily be at 80%, closer to 60% if I did a 2 hour workout. I'm finding the AW5 eats up battery even if AOD is off, still about 3% per hour. Overnight/sleep tracking use on my AW3 was almost zero, I'd wake up with 98% or so, with the AW5 I wake up at 80% or so.

So even though it's definitely a step back I think I'm good with it as I usually pop it on the charger after my workout while I shower and get ready and charge again for a bit before bed. My only concern are those days I stay out late, meeting someone for dinner or going to an event straight from work, I have a feeling on those days I might be scraping by.

Does anyone know if the AW5 charges faster? It seems to be charging faster than my AW3.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Seems fine to me

From 7.30am to 2pm mine is on about 76% left

tamara6

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
This weekend I've done a bit of an experiment. I charged my watch completely just before bed on Friday night, wore it all night (theater mode), all day Saturday (including about an hour workout at the park), and all Saturday night (theater mode again). When I woke up Sunday morning it was at 11%, and it had been off the charger for 1 day 9 hours. So that is 33 hours - 16 sleeping (2 nights) and 17 awake.

The watch is a 40mm aluminum GPS, I've had it about 5 weeks. I have everything turned on except the noise app - so AOD is on and RTW is on. I used at least 4 different watch faces during that timespan. I didn't do anything to try to conserve energy at all.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Battery life seems all over the place and I can't really figure out why. The past couple of days I'm seeing about 4%/hour. But today, nothing changed in use or settings, after 4 hours of use it was a 99%. Currently it's been on my wrist for about 7 or so hours and it's at 92%.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
For AW6+, Apple should buy and take apart a few Huawei Watch GT2 and learn how battery life is properly done. Oh yea, and they added AOD via a simple FW update even on the old GT...

Having a new apple watch boasting an exclusive "groundbreaking" feature such as AOD, is just sad. Reminds me of the "wow" moment, where copy/paste was added to the iphone...

10 years ago...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.