Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For the life of me I can’t figure out what’s going on.

usage and standby times are the same no matter what I have attempted.
[automerge]1573885902[/automerge]
And this is a replacement watch!
You have an app/complication that’s causing it. Do a factory reset/unpair and re-pair as new (not from backup). Then don’t install any 3rd party apps/complications and see what happens.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I have two S5 Apple watches and both get the same battery life as my previous S4. I have all features turned on. I wear my watches from 5:00am - 11:00Pm Every day. Usually have 30 -50% remaining.

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
Same here! I even use it for sleep tracking. I wear it topped up at 100% when I go to bed. Next day and after an hour swimming. At bed time I have 35-40% left too

joseprofet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Of course not.
What I don’t get is that my wife’s Watch is perfectly fine. I see others on here with perfectly good battery life and huge differences in usage/standby times complaining about it... they don’t know how good they have it ?
[automerge]1574010540[/automerge]
I shouldn’t have to turn off every feature on my watch to get the battery life of a series 0 watch. Cripple my watch just so I can make it through the day.... infuriating indeed.

joseprofet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
I’ve done the unpair/repair.... restore as new process numerous times.
[automerge]1574012766[/automerge]
I went as far as restoring my
Phone to new with no apps whatsoever. Signed out of iCloud... turned off keychain and turned everything back on and nothing has changed. This is a replacement watch... what is my luck that both suffer this issue.

Reactions: Nütztjanix

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
You have an app/complication that’s causing it. Do a factory reset/unpair and re-pair as new (not from backup). Then don’t install any 3rd party apps/complications and see what happens.
Did that more than once. Didn’t change a thing. I’m as lucky as joseprofet ... ?

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Of course not.
What I don’t get is that my wife’s Watch is perfectly fine. I see others on here with perfectly good battery life and huge differences in usage/standby times complaining about it... they don’t know how good they have it ?
[automerge]1574010540[/automerge]
I shouldn’t have to turn off every feature on my watch to get the battery life of a series 0 watch. Cripple my watch just so I can make it through the day.... infuriating indeed.

There may be a lot of unit to unit variation. I had my original S5 replaced. The replacement barely causes any extra battery drain to my phone, has better Bluetooth range and gets better battery life itself. These were not the reasons the watch was replaced, but I noticed they're much improved on the new watch. I just thought the way the old watch was, was normal, as this is my first Apple Watch.

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
First time posting about it but I’ve had this battery problem since around the time iOS 13 came out. It’s gotten so bad it lasts only about 8 hours. I have a S4. I’ve tried wiping it and starting as new. It generally is good for a couple days then by the need of the week it’s back to being terrible again. The usage time and standby time are exactly the same too. I have 0 3rd party apps installed, noice detection off, and Siri off.

Has anyone take to Apple store? I’ve though about it but I’m out of warranty and don’t really wanna pay for a battery replacement if it’s a software problem. Can they pull detailed battery info from it?

I‘m thinking of just trading my S4 in for the S5 to fix it but am skeptical because it might possibly be iCloud related like other have said.

Last edited:

joseprofet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Ok so I experimented a bit and it seems to have paid off.

I created an all new iCloud account... restored both the watch and phone and charged them to 100%.

I signed into the new account and paired the watch and waited.
Guess what.... it worked. At least it seems to have.

I signed out of the new account and signed back in to the original account leaving iMessage in the cloud off. Seems to be working so far.

also, I made changes to my iCloud security. I turned off recovery Key and left two step verification on.
[automerge]1574026788[/automerge]
First time posting about it but I’ve had this battery problem since around the time iOS 13 came out. It’s gotten so bad it lasts only about 8 hours. I have a S4. I’ve tried wiping it and starting as new. It generally is good for a couple days then by the need of the week it’s back to being terrible again. The usage time and standby time are exactly the same too. I have 0 3rd party apps installed, noice detection off, and Siri off.

Has anyone take to Apple store? I’ve though about it but I’m out of warranty and don’t really wanna pay for a battery replacement if it’s a software problem. Can they pull detailed battery info from it?

I‘m thinking of just trading my S4 in for the S5 to fix it but am skeptical because it might possibly be iCloud related like other have said.

to rule out that it isn’t the watch... backup your phone to either your Mac or the cloud.

unpair and completely erase the watch and phone. When the phone is ready go through the setup process creating a whole new iCloud account. Repair the watch using the new iCloud account and watch it closely and see if the usage/standby numbers return to normal.

Last edited:

Craziness

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
This is crazy. I've owned an Apple Watch since the first one came out and never had any battery issues with at least 30% left at night.
Since update to 6.0, when I exercise, the battery drains to 0% in the middle of the day.
This is a software issue and Apple needs to fix it asap.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
This is crazy. I've owned an Apple Watch since the first one came out and never had any battery issues with at least 30% left at night.
Since update to 6.0, when I exercise, the battery drains to 0% in the middle of the day.
I had very poor battery life on 6.0.0 with my S5. With the current version of watchOS 6.1 and iOS 13.2.2, I have no more battery issues, even with an hour of exercise and AOD + wrist raise turned on. Usually end the day (6am - 11pm) with 30-40% battery left.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
My use case of:

-Full brightness
-AOD on
-Sleep with watch on Airplane mode (Sleep watch says I got 5.5 Hours-roughly)

I got 39 Hours of battery life on my Series 5

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I have two S5 Apple watches and both get the same battery life as my previous S4. I have all features turned on. I wear my watches from 5:00am - 11:00Pm Every day. Usually have 30 -50% remaining.
Even better for me.
6:00AM - 11:30PM and most of the time I’m well over 50%.
And that includes at least 1 hour of training.
[automerge]1574100154[/automerge]
My use case of:

-Full brightness
-AOD on

What do you mean with “full brightness” ? ?
[automerge]1574100350[/automerge]
The issue is in your Apple Watch, not in watchOS. So maybe you should fix it.
First thing to do is a complete restore and no third party apps for a while. If the drain stays so high, you have a defective unit.

Coltdillard

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
Am I the only one with terrible battery life since this update? I have the decible meter on as well as as the hourly ho ur notifications. Apple said this uses hardly any battery but I got up at 5 am with a full charge and now I’m at 9%

Ok, so it's not just me... I upgraded my XS Max to an 11 this past Thursday (writing this the following Monday, so like 4 days) and battery life on my series 4 has been absolute TRASH ever since. I thought it could be just getting all my data back on my watch, but I'm confused now since it's been 4 days -- all of that data should have restored by now, right?

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
My use case of:

-Full brightness
-AOD on

You get 39 hours with AOD turned on except for when you sleep?! Whoa. That is the best battery result I have seen. Mine is max 24 hours with AOD and less than 48 hours with AOD off and no exercise.

joseprofet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Ok, so it's not just me... I upgraded my XS Max to an 11 this past Thursday (writing this the following Monday, so like 4 days) and battery life on my series 4 has been absolute TRASH ever since. I thought it could be just getting all my data back on my watch, but I'm confused now since it's been 4 days -- all of that data should have restored by now, right?
Charge to 100% and check your standby and usage times and see if they match.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
You get 39 hours with AOD turned on except for when you sleep?! Whoa. That is the best battery result I have seen. Mine is max 24 hours with AOD and less than 48 hours with AOD off and no exercise.

So I get 28 hours with mid brightness and pretty much normal settings on but with theatre mode while I sleep. Is it worth trying to get a replacement?

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
So I get 28 hours with mid brightness and pretty much normal settings on but with theatre mode while I sleep. Is it worth trying to get a replacement?
You have great battery life. Apple specs battery life at 18 hrs. No need to exchange watch. You run the risk of getting a watch with worse battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.