Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Bezel-lovers of the world, UNITE! Let's unite under this one thread. It's time for us to come out of the closet and declare our love for bezels. I'll start.

I'm ThomasJL, and I'm a bezel-lover. I love how bezels make room for a home button. I love how bezels allow for Touch ID. I love how bezels remove the need for a notch. I love how bezels make the screen have 90-degree edges instead of curved edges. I love how bezels make my hand feel more comfortable by not having to reach down to near the bottom of the phone to touch a part of the screen.

Bezel pride!

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It's not that I love bezels, but they just don't bother me the same way that they seem to bother tech reviewers and other enthusiasts. So many complaints among the techie community about a device looking "dated" or "obsolete" if it has bezels... What does that have to do with its function? I just don't get it.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I can go either way with bezels. I did just sell my iPhone 11 for an SE, so clearly they don’t bother me, but if that 5.4” phone comes out and it’s still a lightweight device that’s full screen and the same size as this SE, I’m pretty likely to buy it. It’s not really because of the lack of bezels, but more because I do like the idea of a little more screen in this small size phone.

That being said, I’m not gonna lie - I prefer the bezels to the notch just because it’s a more symmetrical look to me. Perhaps small enough bezels to eliminate the notch, but not quite the size of the bezels on the SE? I’m not sure what the perfect device would be for me, but a 5.4 full screen that’s lightweight will come close. I am LOVING this SE!

I do also like having Touch ID on my phone again, but Face ID is certainly not a deal-breaker.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
I’d like a hybrid of sorts. A bottom bevel only so there’s a spot for the home button but no top bevel. At least in theory it sounds good, but I don’t know how it would look.
I would like a bigger screen at some point than the SE 2020 but I don’t like the idea of Face ID. I’m not comfortable with my face being scanned with infrared lights going going in my eyes. How good would an under the screen fingerprint sensor work with a screen protector?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That being said, I’m not gonna lie - I prefer the bezels to the notch just because it’s a more symmetrical look to me. Perhaps small enough bezels to eliminate the notch, but not quite the size of the bezels on the SE?
Same. Would prefer a little bit of forehead (and chin to keep things symmetrical) rather than notch. I find the 5.8/6.1" diagonal screen size misleading as you've got a sizable chunk of that not available for content. Thankfully, it appears the notch will be reduced on iPhone 12.

Mind, two of the most comfy e-ink readers I've used have large bezels (Oasis being the comfier of the two). The huge asymmetrical bezel makes for a very comfy palm rest. The hump on the Oasis's back (aside from housing the battery) gives you something to easily grip.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
We got to post #3 before someone declared they didn’t like bezels which was predictable lol. I don’t mind them, it gives you somewhere to hold without touching the screen.

Who said they didn’t like them in post 3? I think you need to spend more time reading and quit watching YouTube so much ?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The most discussed issue with bezels is one thing and one thing only, is when Apple conformEd to the ‘new design‘ (iPhone X and above) which essentially is Bezel-less, it gives the previous iPhone nostalgia that it’s antiquated and dated. Bezels never have posed an issue for me in terms of my interaction with the iPhone or how I even look at the iPhone.

Has anyone ever come across an individual externally from a tech form that complained about the bezels? I’d wager no one in this thread has, and this is coming from someone who is heavily involved in tech.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
It’s not really an unpopular opinion here. A lot of the discussions are about the SE and how great it is. To give an alternative perspective; I hate big bezels. I also don't mind the notch.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The past can be very comforting.
Has little to nothing to do with the past. The bezels on the first phones and tablets didn’t have to be as thick as they were. It wasn’t completely a technological limitation nor was it a style choice. It was to add functional value, as the multiple benefits have been listed in above posts.
Slim bezels of course have one functional value, which is that you get a bigger screen in a smaller, probably lighter device. But the trade offs are the same as they originally were. But now, for whatever reason, the mainstream values that bigger screen ratio more than the opposing benefits. As far as aesthetics, it’s subjective.

It’s not really an unpopular opinion here. A lot of the discussions are about the SE and how great it is. To give an alternative perspective; I hate big bezels. I also don't mind the notch.
The hatred of big bezels is by far the prevailing popular opinion in these forums. I really don’t think it needs to be championed any further. You already won. What you’re doing is akin to wandering into a Native American reservation and putting up “I prefer USA” stickers.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
My wife and I keep all of our old phones, they get used by the kids and I check on their health now and then. I love my old phones. They have spent years in my pocket, recording our lives together, keeping us close with FaceTime while I was away from home. I love my new phone too 👌🏻

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Bezel-lovers of the world, UNITE! Let's unite under this one thread. It's time for us to come out of the closet and declare our love for bezels. I'll start.

I'm ThomasJL, and I'm a bezel-lover. I love how bezels make room for a home button. I love how bezels allow for Touch ID. I love how bezels remove the need for a notch. I love how bezels make the screen have 90-degree edges instead of curved edges. I love how bezels make my hand feel more comfortable by not having to reach down to near the bottom of the phone to touch a part of the screen.

Bezel pride!
Good for you. Oldies are classics. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Mamas and the Papas will always be relevant.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
For me, it isn't so much I love bezels as I hate the notch.
In fact, I hate it so much that I've been using Android phones since the X was released and just kept an original SE as as my only iPhone (my current daily driver is a Note10 with the camera hole hidden)
The release of the SE2 is like manna from heaven for me: no notch and a 2019 processor means I might finally be able to get back to using an iPhone as my daily driver: I've got one on order and can't wait :)

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
That's dedication. I dislike Android, so I believe you when you say you hate the notch that much. Wow.

Its crazy what kind of emotions a phone can stir up.

Reactions: remington79

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
For me personally, minimum symmetrical bezels to house the front camera and under screen Touch ID (or Touch ID on power button) would be perfect for me E.g Galaxy s8 design. In general though I would take bezels over a Notch as I cannot stand notches on phones. Completely rectangular unobstructed 4:3 screen is all I want.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
For me personally, minimum symmetrical bezels to house the front camera and under screen Touch ID (or Touch ID on power button) would be perfect for me E.g Galaxy s8 design. In general though I would take bezels over a Notch as I cannot stand notches on phones. Completely rectangular unobstructed 4:3 screen is all I want.
4:3 interesting! I’ve never seen anyone say they want that ratio in a phone. I definitely prefer the original 3:2 over 16:9 and whatever it is now, but I might be down for 4:3 too.

Regarding symmetry, I mainly just need the thick bottom bezel to raise the screen for easier one-handed use, to house a tactile/no-look Touch ID sensor, and to provide a safe place to hold the phone. A matching top bezel would provide symmetry and another safe place to hold the phone, but those are not crucial for me so I’d be fine with a thin top bezel to just house the camera and sensors. Either way.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
4:3 interesting! I’ve never seen anyone say they want that ratio in a phone. I definitely prefer the original 3:2 over 16:9 and whatever it is now, but I might be down for 4:3 too.

Regarding symmetry, I mainly just need the thick bottom bezel to raise the screen for easier one-handed use, to house a tactile/no-look Touch ID sensor, and to provide a safe place to hold the phone. A matching top bezel would provide symmetry and another safe place to hold the phone, but those are not crucial for me so I’d be fine with a thin top bezel to just house the camera and sensors. Either way.
Apologies I meant 16:9 aspect ratio, the same aspect ratio as all classic iPhones prior to the X generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.