Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
That’s got to be the most popular design at this point. I preferred the iPhone 4/4S design myself, but I think the 5/5S is where most people land. Probably also why they keep going back to it.

I even like the original iPhone, although it’s a bit thick but the two time silver/black back was iconic.
My first new iPhone was the 3G when it came out, how technology and the market has changed!

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
I have got to agree with that ! I'm not really gonna call myself a "bezel-lover" but I definitely do prefer big bezels over a notch . At least they don't cover a part of the screen since they are technically not a part of the screen . And I do find Touch ID a lot faster and more convenient than Face ID .

Even when it comes to laptops, I still prefer the bezels . I really hate the new design of the MacBooks with the notch . I know they made the bezels smaller but still, big bezels aren't really that much of an issue for me . I literally got the 13 inch M2 MacBook Pro just because it has the older desgin and it works perfectly fine for me ! I have no issue with the old design with the big bezels at all . And no, it doesn't look "outdated" for me either . Perhaps the only advantage of the new design is the improved Web Cam, but I don't really use laptop camera that much so I don't mind . I know that other people may find it important as they use it for online meetings and stuff like that, but I prefer using my phone camera for those .

Mikeyt1818

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2020
Coral Springs, Florida
I still love my iPhone SE 3rd Gen. The bezels do not bother me at all and I love Touch ID. I also do not mind the notch on my MacBook Air. In a perfect world they would make a new SE based on iPhone 13 mini with Touch ID under the screen and an option to for Face Unlock as well. It works on my Motorola Edge 30 Fusion very nicely.

Reactions: two_n

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Please get rid of Dynamic Notchland and all the under-the-display camera nonsense, and just do the sensible thing: bring back bezels.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Please get rid of Dynamic Notchland and all the under-the-display camera nonsense, and just do the sensible thing: bring back bezels.

Well I’ve not hated bezels. I chose the XR over the XS few years ago. Now that the notch has evolved into a functional space in the form of the Dynamic Island, there’s no reason to go back to bezels.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
After having bezels for years, and then not having bezels for years.. why would I want them back?

I have not missed them. I don't care about the notch, or dynamic island, they do not bother me as much as a bezel or home button would.

I do like the old 5S squared edges though, noice.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Since everyone has an all screen phone now, I kind of want to go back to a bezel phone just to be different. It’s the hipster in me.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
One small but I think significant advantage of a bezel that I don’t think was specifically mentioned in this thread is when taking photos or video with one hand, being able to place your thumb on the bezel enables you to hold the phone much more securely in unstable situations.

Of course, the most ideal solution for everyone would be to have optional virtual bezels. All screen hardware but the software can be either full screen or you can opt to turn off the area where you would like more bezel and the software would resize.

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
As a person with a physical disability, bezels provide me a crucial handhold for devices like the iPhone. It's part of the reason I'm reluctant to upgrade from my 6S Plus; a bezel-less phone would be much harder for me to use.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
As a person with a physical disability, bezels provide me a crucial handhold for devices like the iPhone. It's part of the reason I'm reluctant to upgrade from my 6S Plus; a bezel-less phone would be much harder for me to use.

There’s the SE 2022 on the Apple Store right now.

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
There’s the SE 2022 on the Apple Store right now.

Thanks for the reminder. No doubt the SE could be a nice option, but it's not a long-term solution to current trends. Still, I will need to replace my 6S Plus in the coming months.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
This is all very subjective of course but like many here I hate the notch more than I like the bezels. The smaller notch on 13 and 14 was slightly better but still a dealbreaker. The dynamic island, while still not pretty by any means, was a huge improvement to me.

That’s why I kept my 8 plus and held out all the way to 14 Pro Max. I just couldn’t get over the notch.

Now when it comes to bezels, I prefer thin bezels like some androids have over the wide bezels on 8 Plus. And since SE 2 and 3s are based on the smaller regular iPhone 8 hardware the bezels and home button look even bigger by proportion. I am so over that look now. I can’t wait till iPhone 19 or 20 when iPhone can go full screen with UPC and face ID.

Again this is all purely subjective but over the years I have found many Androids phones have come up with some pleasing (to me) designs without going full screen.

61Dy9hZJ4ML._AC_SX679_.jpg

huawei_mate_60_pro-b.jpg

71JSNPMEaIL._AC_SY879_.jpg

I personally find all of these better looking than big bezels and the notch and the dynamic island and also better than that one hole punch in the middle look.

Reactions: Wheel_D

Johnnyponken

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
I would love to see that they got rid of the bezels completely. And then with software you yourself can set what bezels you want. I think that would be the best of both worlds. Imagine watching a movie and you get to actually use the whole screen :)

That, and I would like the next iPad to have a rounded edge like the iphone 15 pro to make it more comfortable to hold.

Reactions: motulist

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
I would love to see that they got rid of the bezels completely. And then with software you yourself can set what bezels you want.
Yes.

As a person who's essentially unable to use his phone without holding it "wrong," it would be fabulous to have the ability to set a screen deadzone.

Reactions: motulist

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
I find the ball of my palm presses the screen and activates things at the bottom of my 12 mini, like the Safari tab switcher. I can't imagine how I could use a bezel-less phone without even more frustration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.