Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
The iPhone 6, 6S, and 7 had screens that were not curved. Their screens had 90-degree edges.

Ummm no I’ve owned a 6 plus and a 7 and I had them in my hands. The 8,x,Xs, and 11 followed the same general design theme of rounded edges.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Nah--raging against bezel-less devices is useless. Things are going to keep progressing in that direction, and I'm glad.

Honestly, this is just how progress works. Change happens, for good and bad. It's risky, but the companies that don't change don't make it. Ask Blackberry as well as all the people who scoffed at the iPhone for not having a hardware keyboard in 2007. My point being, the bezels had to go in the name of progress. If the masses weren't willing to go along with it, the iPhone would have quickly started become irrelevant roughly 5 years ago.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I think it just depends on the device, and I think Apple knows this.
Bezels on the iPhone, Apple Watch and MacBooks don’t exactly have a purpose. You don’t hold the devices by the front, and getting a much bigger screen in a smaller form factor for something like a phone or a laptop is a good thing.
But bezels make complete sense on iPads and desktops, so they stick around.
On the iPad, you need somewhere to hold it without random inputs from your fingers, and a Desktop is stationary.
The body getting smaller with the screen size being the same isn’t really that much of a benefit when it’s just gonna be sitting on a desk, and the bezels give enough of a border between the screen and what’s going on in the real world.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I think it just depends on the device, and I think Apple knows this.
Bezels on the iPhone, Apple Watch and MacBooks don’t exactly have a purpose. You don’t hold the devices by the front, and getting a much bigger screen in a smaller form factor for something like a phone or a laptop is a good thing.
But bezels make complete sense on iPads and desktops, so they stick around.
On the iPad, you need somewhere to hold it without random inputs from your fingers, and a Desktop is stationary.
The body getting smaller with the screen size being the same isn’t really that much of a benefit when it’s just gonna be sitting on a desk, and the bezels give enough of a border between the screen and what’s going on in the real world.

I have seen people on here complaining about bezelless phones and accidental inputs when trying to watch a video in bed or whatever. This is not a problem if you use a phone case so it’s really a non-issue. I don’t mind bezelless phones but I think they’ll be dead soon. I foresee the SE4 being a bezelless phone which will mark the end of Touch ID on a capacitive button.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Bezel-lovers of the world, UNITE! Let's unite under this one thread. It's time for us to come out of the closet and declare our love for bezels. I'll start.

I'm ThomasJL, and I'm a bezel-lover. I love how bezels make room for a home button. I love how bezels allow for Touch ID. I love how bezels remove the need for a notch. I love how bezels make the screen have 90-degree edges instead of curved edges. I love how bezels make my hand feel more comfortable by not having to reach down to near the bottom of the phone to touch a part of the screen.

Bezel pride!
Hell no! Nothing could ever make me want bezels back; iPhone, Android or otherwise. I prefer maximized screen real estate in a smaller body. And with modern phones being so freaking big bezel’s would only exacerbate the problem. I can’t go back.

But hey, that’s just me.

I wish you and your cult of masochist’s nothing but the best lol. Godspeed.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
This design with mini top bezel is perfect. A cutout notch in the top screen (iPhone) is not.

373D9622-B8D1-4678-9145-89E550C01BA1.jpeg

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
This design with mini top bezel is perfect. A cutout notch in the top screen (iPhone) is not.

View attachment 1966870
I like most of that design, but one thing I would change are the display's rounded edges. One of the benefits of having bezels like the one in that photo is that it allows for displays with 90-degree edges.

With a bottom bezel like the one in that photo, I'm guessing Apple could fit a redesigned home button into it, and integrate Touch ID into that home button. It would be great if Apple could give users the option of choosing between using a home button or swipe gestures, all while the Touch ID is in a convenient place such as the home button on the bottom bezel instead of on the side or, even worse, on the back.

Also, it would be good if Apple could give users the option of choosing between Touch ID and Face ID, all while not compromising the display quality nor the fingerprint reading capability like the Android phones that integrate fingerprint readers into the display.

Last edited:

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
I like most of that design, but one thing I would change are the display's rounded edges. One of the benefits of having bezels like the one in that photo is that it allows for displays with 90-degree edges.

With a bottom bezel like the one in that photo, I'm guessing Apple could fit a redesigned home button into it, and integrate Touch ID into that home button. It would be great if Apple could give users the option of choosing between using a home button or swipe gestures, all while the Touch ID is in a convenient place such as the home button on the bottom bezel instead of on the side or, even worse, on the back.

Also, it would be good if Apple could give users the option of choosing between Touch ID and Face ID, all while not compromising the display quality nor the fingerprint reading capability like the Android phones that integrate fingerprint readers into the display.
The most intuitive place for TouchID is still on the back of the phone. Next to the camera makes sense. Most of us pit the phone in our pocket with the screen facing our body, so reaching in put our fingers on the back.

The notch only bothers me watching full screen video. The area on either sides should be a no-go zone, reserved for system info.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
The most intuitive place for TouchID is still on the back of the phone. Next to the camera makes sense. Most of us pit the phone in our pocket with the screen facing our body, so reaching in put our fingers on the back.

The notch only bothers me watching full screen video. The area on either sides should be a no-go zone, reserved for system info.
The power button fingerprint sensor on Xperia devices is far superior to rear ones. You can easily grab it with your right thumb or left index finger and having a cutout in a case doesn't compromise on protection. I've used Xperia devices as my work phones for years and its much better than having to stretch your index finger. Any required change in grip, especially one-handed can result in your phone getting dropped. This is just bad design.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I don’t really mind bezels but i’m glad they got rid of them. I like smallish phones and removing the bezels means you can maximize screen size in a smaller enclosure. Plus I think Face ID is better than Touch ID.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I don’t really mind bezels but i’m glad they got rid of them. I like smallish phones and removing the bezels means you can maximize screen size in a smaller enclosure. Plus I think Face ID is better than Touch ID.

That is what exactly iPhone 12 and 13 mini did, yet they don't sell well. Anyways..Big phone is the trend now..

And I will have to disagree with you. I have been daily driving Google Pixel 3XL and Pixel 4A 5G for while over a month now. I can tell you back mounted fingerprint censor is much better than FaceID especially mask mandate is still on. The phone is unlocked the moment you pick up from your pocket, much faster than FaceID unlock.

Yes, I am pissed off by Apple not supporting mask unlocking for my iPhone X and XS.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
That is what exactly iPhone 12 and 13 mini did, yet they don't sell well. Anyways..Big phone is the trend now..

And I will have to disagree with you. I have been daily driving Google Pixel 3XL and Pixel 4A 5G for while over a month now. I can tell you back mounted fingerprint censor is much better than FaceID especially mask mandate is still on. The phone is unlocked the moment you pick up from your pocket, much faster than FaceID unlock.

Yes, I am pissed off by Apple not supporting mask unlocking for my iPhone X and XS.

Kay well first you can’t tell me what I think is better so you’re wrong, I said what I prefer not what you prefer. I used specific words to say I prefer Face ID not that everyone does. I’m running the iOS 15.4 beta so I’ve been able to unlock with a mask for a few weeks and before that I used unlock with Apple Watch. As for sales numbers, I don’t care if they sold 1 or 10 million units I was talking about what I prefer. I don’t like big phones, I like medium sized phones like the 13 and 13 Pro. Why you felt the need to mention sales numbers is beyond my understanding.

As for you being pissed Apple isn’t support unlock with a mask on older iPhones - I don’t care, I don’t have those phones.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

The Mini probably didn’t sell well because it was priced at only $100 below the Regular. I went with the Mini because a smaller phone is better for me but I know the majority of people would happy pay a small additional cost for the extra real estate. Those people who have stuck with the SE1 and did not support the Mini are going to be the ones kicking off the most that there is no small phone in the iPhone market after the 13 Mini.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
And now to blow your mind... the notch IS a bezel!!!
That’s a great point.

When I say that “I’m a bezel-lover,” I mean that I only love bezels that are outside the screen. A notch is a bezel that is inside the screen, so therefore, I don’t like notches.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
I won't fight you over it, but you know those bezels on the 6-8 were triflingly oversized. Everything up to the 6 was done tastefully

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I won't fight you over it, but you know those bezels on the 6-8 were triflingly oversized. Everything up to the 6 was done tastefully
The iPhone X's notch was smaller than the bezels on the iPhones 6-8, so if the iPhone X had bezels the same size as the notch (instead of having the notch), those bezels would've been smaller than the bezels on the iPhones 6-8.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Ugh no Get rid! They make everything look so dated. I buy any apple product that slims bezels down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.