Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Watched the first 3 episodes last night. I really liked them. Enjoyed seeing the Sand People developed/explored more.
Yeah, I thought that was cool too.

Also cool to see another wookie besides Chewbacca. Add to the fact that he too is a bounty hunter.

I'm hoping the final two episodes are good.

Reactions: 5105973

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Damn, this latest episode was refreshing.
51 minutes full of Din Djarin/Mandalorian. This episode alone was better than the entire Book of Boba Fett series.
For them to dedicate an entire episode to Mando was interesting. It was basically a prologue for Season 3.
Cool to see The Armorer return and have some dialogue regarding the Darksaber and how Bo Katan failed when she was wielding the saber.
I geeked out when the BD-1 droid showed up. That was really cool to see one in live-action.
With Mando wanting to visit a 'little' friend, I took that as he was going to visit Grogu. That's hinting we'll see Luke again. Hopefully the CGI and faceswap will be better this time around.

This is the way.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Wow everything was so much better in this episode (The Return of…): the acting, the story and the special effects. Finally a good episode, it was better than all others seen and by far. The beginning in the city was beautiful. I really enjoyed this episode.

That ship looks like a ship we’ve seen before, no?!

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Wow everything was so much better in this episode (The Return of…): the acting, the story and the special effects. Finally a good episode, it was better than all others seen and by far. The beginning in the city was beautiful. I really enjoyed this episode.

Mando's new ship? Yeah, that a N-1 Starfighter that was seen during The Phantom Menace.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I've read some arguments that this episode was actually the first episode of season 3 of The Mandalorian. :D

As to the starfighter…Anakin Skywalker flew one in the Phantom Menace. It's the ship he used to destroy the Trade Federation control ship from the inside out. It's just that Anakin's N-1 was painted yellow and the engine intakes had cones instead of being flat.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Mando's new ship? Yeah, that a N-1 Starfighter that was seen during The Phantom Menace.

I wonder about the practicality of using such a spaceship for extended travel. Sure, it’s fast and great for getting from point A to B, but it doesn’t look like something I would want to sit in for hours on end. The razor crest is more of a mobile caravan that you could live in, which seems more practical for someone used to a nomadic lifestyle.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
I wonder about the practicality of using such a spaceship for extended travel. Sure, it’s fast and great for getting from point A to B, but it doesn’t look like something I would want to sit in for hours on end. The razor crest is more of a mobile caravan that you could live in, which seems more practical for someone used to a nomadic lifestyle.
That's a good point. We'll see how long that ship will last before it gets destroyed again lol.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008

The biggest problem for a bounty hunter like Mando is that he needs the cargo space to transport his captures, like he did with the Razor Crest, unless his intention is only to take "cold" jobs going forward, like in the last episode. Plus, I doubt the droid cavity in the fighter is sufficient for more than a few heads!

Comfort-wise, Zen guys like Mando and Obi-Wan really shouldn't have any problems with a small ship. He sticks around locally anyway, and it's fast ship. But if he needed to travel long distances, he could have the mechanic rig up a hyperdrive ring like Obi-Wan used with his Jedi ride to get to the outer reaches, when he went to investigate the clone factory at Geonosis.

Either way, it beats flying commercial, and going through security, and snappy droids.

I've enjoyed these SW series, but the mixed reviews do have some merit.

Fett has gotten it worse than Mando, but having to lay the groundwork first, and not having a cute character like Grogu works against Fett.

But it must be said that both move at a pace that many consider slow, and plot developments aren't plentiful.

The world building in the SW universe is top notch, and I do dig the experience of hanging out in the shows and the richness of the settings, even if I'm not familiar with the references and other easter eggs that those who have invested beyond the movies recognize.

Favreau is moving at a speed that fans probably won't object to, as they also marinate in the atmosphere, and as long as they don't get too indulgent, the greater audience probably won't either. In that respect, I think the ship building sequence could have been tighter, and didn't need to occupy so much of the episode.

That given, with two episodes left, I don't expect any more than a setup for whatever big conflict has been building all season. That will probably have to wait for season two.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
@TheIntruder

I only recently started watching the two seasons of Mandalorian, and vastly preferred it over Boba Fett. I can’t really explain it. With Mandalorian, I liked the pacing. They weren’t long, but felt tightly edited and packed with action. Season 2 was just amazing, from Ashoka to return of Boba to Luke Skywalker showing up in the last episode. I think the writers really outdid themselves here.

I guess I just like a main character who, for lack of a better term, isn’t running around like a headless chicken.

With Boba Fett, I just felt like the flashbacks interfered too much with the pace of the show. Very little of the action is present day, it feels draggy, and we just haven’t seem the titular character do much overall. He wants to run a criminal empire but doesn’t seem to know the first thing about managing one. I am not totally on board with his motivations yet, but the show still has 2 episodes to convince me.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
With all the content that was written about Boba (non-canon and the current Marvel storylines) I would have thought Favreau and Filoni would have just picked and pulled from there to further expand Boba's character. I get that's unbelievable that Boba was in the Sarlacc pit for about 5 years, survived, and at the same time, gain weight and get veneers. I understand that he was healing and recovering from his wounds, but man, he simply hasn't come off as the feared bounty hunter that many made him out to be.

But like what was pointed out, this latest episode of Mando just had better writing, pacing, and production value compared to the Boba series.

With two more episodes left, I hope it delivers. I think Filoni is writing the next episode, so that should be good.

And with Mando saying he needs to visit a 'little friend', that'll probably be a flashback episode in Season 3 of Mando. I still wouldn't understand Mando being the focus in another Boba episode just to see Grogu and Luke.

But I like the world building that's happening and all the nods to the other properties. Seeing the BD-unit made me go out and re-buy Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order for the PS5.

appleArticulate

Suspended
Jan 6, 2022
The reason Boba is so out of character is because they used up his character already. Mando is who Boba Fett would have been.

So rather than have Boba be an identical character, they attempted to make him something different, which has failed miserably.

• Sad
Reactions: Fozzybadfeet

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I love both Mandolorian, Boba Fett, Fennec Shand, and definitely our little friend Grogu, and his cousin that we hopefully will get to know soon.
Actually I love ALL Starwars, Stargate, Startrek and mostly all between and around it 💞
The difference in characters are what is so fun and magnetizing.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So this past episode was a great Mandalorian episode - oh wait, we're supposed to be watching Bobba Fett :oops: Kind of odd for a season that will only comprise of 7 episodes that they would use one for the Mandalorian. Don't get me wrong, that was an excellent episode, but truth be told, that should been in the Mandalorian.

I expect next week's episode to be more build up then anything else, perhaps with some sort of cliff hanger to go directly into the final episode.

I will say, and it may be due to the Mandalorian's maturity in terms of going into season 3, but Mando as a character has more depth, more layers to his personality.

I've been enjoying the Book of Bobba, but the story telling has been flat. The character development, a bit more shallow and the plot fairly predictable

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Have to agree, a full episode from a different show should have been placed in said other show. While nice this was purely a filler for lack of development in the main plot.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Get ready for all the complaints after this next episode on comparing it to the Mando episode lol.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
So this past episode was a great Mandalorian episode - oh wait, we're supposed to be watching Bobba Fett :oops: Kind of odd for a season that will only comprise of 7 episodes that they would use one for the Mandalorian. Don't get me wrong, that was an excellent episode, but truth be told, that should been in the Mandalorian.

Agreed. I'm thought the episode set up the next season of The Mandalorian quite well. I think that the Mandalorian will go to find the pool he needs to immerse himself in to redeem his not following the way.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think that the Mandalorian will go to find the pool he needs to immerse himself in to redeem his not following the way.
I'm just wondering about this 'pool'. It would seem to me that a body of water located under a mining operation (mines) would probably not be the purest, safest water to be immersing oneself in.

• Haha

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The best episode of the BOBF series, is the one episode that doesn't even have him.

I can't wait to see what they do with the next episode.

My biggest complaint about BOBF... well actually two, he has become soft... from what I would imagine him being... and he takes his helmet off to much. He has been in fights without his helmet. I know he is not a Mandalorian, but come on... keep the helmet on, and lets see him "disintegrate" some people/creatures/villain's/good guys!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My biggest complaint about BOBF... well actually two, he has become soft... from what I would imagine him being... and he takes his helmet off to much. He has been in fights without his helmet. I know he is not a Mandalorian, but come on... keep the helmet on, and lets see him "disintegrate" some people/creatures/villain's/good guys!

Agreed. It really showed when Boba and Fennic got ambushed in the street after leaving the mayor’s office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.