Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Damn, Filoni definitely didn't waste anytime with this episode!
- Cobb Vanth cameo
- Ahsoka cameo
- CGI Luke, R2-D2, Grogu on the planet where the Luke's Jedi Academy was being built. Didn't expect to see this so soon.
- CGI Luke looked so much better this time around.
- Seeing that Grogu was around during Order 66 and was protected by Jedis. I would love to see if there was any interaction between he and Yoda.
- Cad Bane!
- Grogu training and using the force. Another montage that I didn't expect seeing so soon.
- Grogu having to decide on the chain-link armor and Yoda's lightsaber. I geeked out when Luke said that was Yoda's.

Finale is going to be nuts!

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Yay.....I know the little guy would show up. He seems to do well in his hopping.
Tough choice there little one. I think he's too attached, so are Mando.
I would like him to stay and evolve with Luke. Good move and choice from him.
We'll see soon.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Damn, Filoni definitely didn't waste anytime with this episode!
- Cobb Vanth cameo
- Ahsoka cameo
- CGI Luke, R2-D2, Grogu on the planet where the Luke's Jedi Academy was being built. Didn't expect to see this so soon.
- CGI Luke looked so much better this time around.
- Seeing that Grogu was around during Order 66 and was protected by Jedis. I would love to see if there was any interaction between he and Yoda.
- Cad Bane!
- Grogu training and using the force. Another montage that I didn't expect seeing so soon.
- Grogu having to decide on the chain-link armor and Yoda's lightsaber. I geeked out when Luke said that was Yoda's.

Finale is going to be nuts!

I can't wait...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
What I won’t give to see Luke help out in the final battle with the pykes and come face to face with Boba Fett one more time.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yay.....I know the little guy would show up. He seems to do well in his hopping.
Tough choice there little one. I think he's too attached, so are Mando.
I would like him to stay and evolve with Luke. Good move and choice from him.
We'll see soon.
If I were Grogu chaos would ensue. I'd be a terrible Jedi. I don't do detachment well, but keeping helmets or armor on all the time would annoy the hell out of me, so I'd also be a terrible Mandalorian. Too damned many rules either way. I'd start my own group called the Jedilorians. It would be a hot mess, but we'd have a lot of fun and cause so much mischief and eat so many frogs.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Latest episode was good, but it bugged me. The season is only 7 episodes long and yet the last couple of episodes have focused on something other than Bobba Fett.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I've really been digging this and think it would be able to stand on its own but it appears Favreau does not feel the same way. IMO it's a total distraction, it's not even like they tried to tie it, it's basically two Mandalorian episodes arbitrarily thrown in the middle of the series.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I saw the first 2 episodes and really like the TV show.
the train was was good, and original.
i have no idea who Boba fett is was were bedside a bounty hunter doing his job

In 1984, i saw the Jedi movie the first day, skipped school.
when Boba fett was dragged into a that pit, every businessman in suits stood up and cheered!

Reactions: 5105973

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
@TheIntruder

I only recently started watching the two seasons of Mandalorian, and vastly preferred it over Boba Fett. I can’t really explain it. With Mandalorian, I liked the pacing. They weren’t long, but felt tightly edited and packed with action. Season 2 was just amazing, from Ashoka to return of Boba to Luke Skywalker showing up in the last episode. I think the writers really outdid themselves here.

I guess I just like a main character who, for lack of a better term, isn’t running around like a headless chicken.

With Boba Fett, I just felt like the flashbacks interfered too much with the pace of the show. Very little of the action is present day, it feels draggy, and we just haven’t seem the titular character do much overall. He wants to run a criminal empire but doesn’t seem to know the first thing about managing one. I am not totally on board with his motivations yet, but the show still has 2 episodes to convince me.

I wouldn't call pacing a strong suit for either show.

I didn't and haven't binged Mando, but I don't recall it really getting into a groove until S2.

To be completely fair to Fett, it's too soon to judge how it will turn out.

But, it's not a positive sign when characters from one series steal the show from another, like these past two episodes, so there is some work to be done with Fett, even putting aside the additional development the Mando characters enjoy in comparison.

A lot of shows use their first season to world build, or allow the writers to find their groove. ST:TNG is probably one of the most famous examples. Good thing Frakes got fed up with shaving and grew a beard!

In these cases, I think it's more of deliberate style of storytelling, and given the loyalty of the fandom, it's fine for the audience. But those who aren't as invested, or know of the references and other Easter eggs may tire quickly if the characters don't develop some coherency and purpose. It's pretty, and still superficially enjoyable, but fan service only goes so far. And as with the last episode, the ship building/training sequences felt much longer than they needed to be.

I've never been a big Fett fan, or understood his appeal beyond being a badMF. TBH, I think I got more out of about learning about the sand people than about Fett.

Reactions: 5105973 and Doga

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
I think it's fair that many were expecting the series to be on the same level as Mando. But like many have said, Mando is basically Boba's storyline.

I'm expecting a solid finale. Yet at the same time, I think it will continue to world build the SW universe and the future shows. I don't think we'll see another Boba series after this.

But for sure, we'll be seeing Temura Morrison back, supposedly playing Captain Rex in Ahsoka.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
If I were Grogu chaos would ensue. I'd be a terrible Jedi. I don't do detachment well, but keeping helmets or armor on all the time would annoy the hell out of me, so I'd also be a terrible Mandalorian. Too damned many rules either way. I'd start my own group called the Jedilorians. It would be a hot mess, but we'd have a lot of fun and cause so much mischief and eat so many frogs.

I was not a Jedi, and didn't even know about them when I was a kid. But I think me and Grogu have some things in common ? and even though my father was kind enough to give me moped at young age, I rather borrowed my brothers motorcycle. Aren't all kids speed junkies when they can, right?

I think it's fair that many were expecting the series to be on the same level as Mando. But like many have said, Mando is basically Boba's storyline.

I'm expecting a solid finale. Yet at the same time, I think it will continue to world build the SW universe and the future shows. I don't think we'll see another Boba series after this.

But for sure, we'll be seeing Temura Morrison back, supposedly playing Captain Rex in Ahsoka.

Solid and solid finale, I wouldn't call it that. Might be another season of Boba and tha-kid mixture.
We haven't seen Grogus cousin that are to appear and be trained of Fennec Shand yet.
But with all this criss-crossing it may show up in Mandalorian, who knows ?
Doesn't matter to me, it's all great anyway.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I was not a Jedi, and didn't even know about them when I was a kid. But I think me and Grogu have some things in common 😉 and even though my father was kind enough to give me moped at young age, I rather borrowed my brothers motorcycle. Aren't all kids speed junkies when they can, right?

Solid and solid finale, I wouldn't call it that. Might be another season of Boba and tha-kid mixture.
We haven't seen Grogus cousin that are to appear and be trained of Fennec Shand yet.
But with all this criss-crossing it may show up in Mandalorian, who knows 😂
Doesn't matter to me, it's all great anyway.
Oh wow if Grogu has a cousin to be trained by Fennec Shand I am THERE for that! Personally I wish it was Grogu himself and the cousin can go train with that wet blanket Luke. Actually I have loved Luke Skywalker (like a big brother) since I was 10 years old. But I don't know if I can forgive him, Han or Leah for unleashing Emo Ren onto the world. Leah and Han deserved a much better son. Jedi training must mess with the head or something. I know I couldn't do it. I'm too much of a free spirit.

And yes we need some speed! My reflexes are shot now. But when I was young yeah I'd want to drive the fast vehicles. Lol but I'm such an old lady now. I'm shocked Ming-Na Wen is actually 2 years older than me. I didn't age as well as she did, that's for sure. But I inherited autoimmune disease and that kind of pain and strain will age you.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Overall, the series was a disappointment, I think it had a lot of promise but the execution lacked. I didn't hate it, but I was expecting more.

Too much time was being used for setting up the story, only to have many of the action scenes lacking emotion. One exception was the sand people and Boba attacking the train, that was gripping and edge of your seat excitement.

I think not using Ming-Na Wen was a mistake, she provided some great screen presence and depth of character and Fennec Shand taking care of the syndicate boss was a welcome addition but too little too late.

I also think spending nearly two episodes of the 7 episode series on the Mandalorian storyline was a mistake.

Mando is basically Boba's storyline.
I know others have stated this, and I just don't think that was the case. I don't see trials of delivering Grogu to Luke something that fits the Boba Fett Ethos and lore.

I think the Mandalorian storyline needed to be someone other then Boba. It is a richer story, the character development was better, the set up and execution was so much better. Overall its a deeper and richer story.

Reactions: Doga and 5105973

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
I was annoyed I woke up super early to watch it. Such a 'meh' ending. I was so underwhelmed.

IMO, I don't think Robert Rodriguez's style works with Star Wars.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I am not underwhelmed, but I am bit 'confused' over the whole Mandalorian and Boba story.
Checked the wiki, and realized I am rather a bit confused at the moment. Because there’s a lot to read up on to reveal and understand all of the connections.
I actually want it as entertainment, not to know all about Starwars and all threads around it.
It’s not my intention, it is pure entertainment that is fun and well done. And I think it is for my purpose, so I am happy to watch it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Boba Fett is a popular character, but he was always a side character involved in other character's stories.

So, I'm seeing this series as a 'filler'. It's supposed to add to the understanding of the Mandalorian series but not necessarily be a full on-standalone series of it's own. Remember that it's introduction was in the end credits of the Mandalorian. It was never announced like Andor, Obi-Wan or Ahsoka.

As connective tissue between season 2 and 3 of that series, it works for me. At the very least it will not be confusing as to why season 3 of the Mandalorian suddenly has Grogu in it. It explains Boba and the Sarlaac, it explains Fennec Shand and it explains how it is that Boba is running Jabba the Hutt's place, which is probably good to know for season 3 of the Mandalorian.

While disappointed that it was nothing more than this, it fulfilled it's objective.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm really really disappointed that they introduced cad bane and then killed him off. There was so much they could have done with him in various series.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm really really disappointed that they introduced cad bane and then killed him off. There was so much they could have done with him in various series.

Agreed. I wish they had kept him around. The rivalry between Fett and Bane would have made for a great storyline.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

I don't think he is dead... I didn't notice on first viewing, but after reading about it after and a second viewing of the scene, there is a blinking red light on him... and we don't see it stop blinking. So that might be the way they keep him around. Sort of like what they did with the "Sheriff". Someone may bring him back...

Reactions: eyoungren

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
How did Cad Bane know about the armor? He kept telling Marshal Cobb Vanth that he should have never given up his (Boba's) armor. References to things he couldn't possibly know.

Same with Boba ... he knew Cobb Vanth had the armor BEFORE he met up with Mando in the second season of Mandalorian.

Heck, if you think back to the BEGINNING of Mandalorain Season 2, there's a one-eyed crime boss that knew there was another Mandalorian on Tatooine (being either Boba or Cobb).

I would have loved an episode where Boba and Fennec track Mando to Tython to get the armor back.

I don't understand the point of Fennec. I was willing to accept that maybe she was already cybernetic. The whole mod thing didn't make sense. She never spoke of it again. She's never inspecting her machinery or asking other Mods for parts or anything related to her robogut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.