Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have been struck by how ugly - that is, how utterly unattractive from an aesthetic perspective - a great many modern cars are.

As it happens, I'm one of these sad people who sometimes watches videos (You Tube stuff) about classic cars.

Yes, I know that modern cars are safer, (a lot safer), more economical, and more environmentally friendly (and that is even leaving aside entirely the discussion on EV cars).
There is a place in Fairbanks, Alaska where several very old automobiles, including a couple of EV's from the early 1900's are displayed. All the vehicles have been restored to pristine condition by a group of mechanics. Please take a look at a few of the cars, but not all the cars are included in the slide show:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There is a place in Fairbanks, Alaska where several very old automobiles, including a couple of EV's from the early 1900's are displayed. All the vehicles have been restored to pristine condition by a group of mechanics. Please take a look at a few of the cars, but not all the cars are included in the slide show:
Thank you for sharing and for taking the time and trouble to link this; much appreciated; this is lovely viewing.

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
While aero and safety do control design to an extent, I’m also seeing shared platforms and cost cutting control design. The new M3/M4 have such a crazy high hoodline. It feels like if you raised the suspension, the front end shape would closely resemble the X3 M and the like.

I’m scared EVs are going to kill any personality from cars. No sharp lines of any kind and they all end up like teardrops. I think the side profile of the current 3 series and the last is perfect evidence of that. All these minor designs that apparently give too much of an aero penalty to be allowed on a car . It makes me sad to watch, but they sell so I’m clearly in the minority.

I currently daily a classic but I would love to start a renovation on it. I think I’d grab a G20 330i - such a great all rounder

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
While aero and safety do control design to an extent, I’m also seeing shared platforms and cost cutting control design. The new M3/M4 have such a crazy high hoodline. It feels like if you raised the suspension, the front end shape would closely resemble the X3 M and the like.

I’m scared EVs are going to kill any personality from cars. No sharp lines of any kind and they all end up like teardrops. I think the side profile of the current 3 series and the last is perfect evidence of that. All these minor designs that apparently give too much of an aero penalty to be allowed on a car . It makes me sad to watch, but they sell so I’m clearly in the minority.

I currently daily a classic but I would love to start a renovation on it. I think I’d grab a G20 330i - such a great all rounder
There were some very good-looking automobiles (shown below) sold in the US in 2023. There are a few surprises relating to numbers sold. I do like the looks of the Acura NSX, Miata, the Alfa Romeo, and the Toyota Supra shown :)

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Guess I should reveal I did a thing last month. Some may remember I had a 2017 Camaro SS before I had my Model 3.

Well I ordered a new car last month. Model 3 is staying in the stable as the daily, but this is the new toy. It does burn dino juice. It does have 8 cylinders.

Hopefully gets built next month and delivered early April.

I am pumped for it.

:)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Guess I should reveal I did a thing last month. Some may remember I had a 2017 Camaro SS before I had my Model 3.

Well I ordered a new car last month. Model 3 is staying in the stable as the daily, but this is the new toy. It does burn dino juice. It does have 8 cylinders.

I am pumped for it.

What is it!!!???

Reactions: DallasCowboysFan

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

As battery tech gets better, there will be more aggressive designs with that more "downforce" look. In the last decade we have transitioned from battery will NOT work, to battery almost works well. Another decade and we may have battery works, then battery works well. Then we will get the sweet, sweet styles matching an F12.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

I am pumped for it.

So it’s Italian, a V8, and they’re still building them in ‘24?

Maserati Ghibli?

If it’s a Roma or SF90, I’d like to do whatever you do for a living lol.

DallasCowboysFan

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
Patience.

I will say it has Italian spirit.....
A Fiat?

fiat-multipla-Cropped.jpg

fiat-multipla-Cropped.jpg

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
So it’s Italian, a V8, and they’re still building them in ‘24?

Maserati Ghibli?

If it’s a Roma or SF90, I’d like to do whatever you do for a living lol.
Outside of these there are the Maserati Quattroporte and Ferrari Portofino offering V8s.

You've also got the Maserati Levante and the Lamborghini Urus, but seeing as how you called it a toy, I'm ruling out SUVs.

I don't think there are any other Italian V8s in 2024. My guess is still the Ghibli.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
How can I easily find out a model of a car? I know the company and some specs but not the model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.