Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is this a car that you already own, or are interested in purchasing?
You can ask the owner.
The model name should be found somewhere on the body (often on the trunk or boot lid)
The model will be listed on the car's registration documents.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Dodge unveiled the production version of the new 2024 Charger today. Comes in both 2-door and 4-door and will also get the Hurricane engines for 2025.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Dodge unveiled the production version of the new 2024 Charger today. Comes in both 2-door and 4-door and will also get the Hurricane engines for 2025.

Close to 6000 lb in weight. Certainly keeping tradition up of having these vehicles be heavy porkers......

Reactions: I7guy and Chuckeee

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I spotted a 2 door Bentley T1 the other day, most unusual. The grill gave it away as not being a Rolls Royce.

Obviously a collector/enthusiast owner. The machine was fairly similar to this one:

I do have a soft spot for these old classics even though they are ancient now. I also like the layer Turbo R sedans as well - those are real surprise packages, they look like huge ships but they really move.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunapple

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Close to 6000 lb in weight. Certainly keeping tradition up of having these vehicles be heavy porkers......
The 100.5 kW battery is quite heavy. I am assuming that it weights over 1,000 pounds.
Take a look at these batteries (per vehicle):

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The 100.5 kW battery is quite heavy. I am assuming that it weights over 1,000 pounds.
Take a look at these batteries (per vehicle):

No doubt.

But the Model S with its own 100 kWh battery weighs over 1000 lb. less than the new Charger EV. Same with the Lucid.

The monsterous Cybertruck is only 1,000 lb. heavier than the Charger.

But my main point with that jab is that the LX/LY Charger and Challenger were also porkers compared to the competition. Camaro and Mustang were around 3600 lb. The Challenger weighing close to 4500 lb. So the new Charger EV is keeping up with tradition on being fat pigs compared to other vehicles that they compete against.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Depends on the model. The Camaro ZL1 is 4000 lbs. Hellcat is about 4500. The V6 SXT though is only about 3900. Part of that is simply because the LX cars are based on a 4-door full-size sedan platform unlike the Mustang or Camaro. I rented a Mustang once. The trunk was small and the backseats would be unusable by adults. Conversely the Challenger’s trunk has ample space and adults can actually fit in the back seats. The weight difference between comparable trims is more like 400 lbs than 900 lbs.

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
An EQS580 is also quite heavy with a 109kWh battery if I remember right.

Length 5216 mm
Wheelbase 3210 mm
Weight Unladen (EU) 2635 kg
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) 3060 kg

EVs are heavy, at least the big long range ones - like the above. Some of that range is aero efficiency but you still need a big battery and efficient motors.

Given the trend to bigger and heavier cars anyway I don't see the drama. unless they start becoming 6000kg.

I like the new Taycan Turbo GT. Fast…

Last edited:

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Given the trend to bigger and heavier cars anyway I don't see the drama.l unless they start becoming 6000kg.

I like the new Taycan Turbo GT. Fast…

I mean the big one for me is that, in my small light sports car, the odds of being killed just get higher and higher, compared to an accident with lighter ICE vehicles. A 4,000lb car hitting a 3,000lb car is going to be less drastic for the lighter car than a 5,500lb car hitting a 3,000lb car. They’re getting heavier and heavier and it’s just like, if you don’t get on the bandwagon of a heavier car, then the world is less safe. And if you do, then we’re just agreeing that heavier is okay and the battle for weight in the name of safety will continue.

Heavier cars also cause greater wear to our roads and will eat tires quicker.

My last daily (3 series) was totaled by a lifted truck rear ending me. It went over my frame rails and crash bar and invited its bumper to nearly touch my rear window. It drove home. I’d hate to even imagine what would have happened if the car was twice as heavy. I was in physical therapy for two years and I’m under 30.

Reactions: Chuckeee

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I mean the big one for me is that, in my small light sports car, the odds of being killed just get higher and higher, compared to an accident with lighter ICE vehicles. A 4,000lb car hitting a 3,000lb car is going to be less drastic for the lighter car than a 5,500lb car hitting a 3,000lb car. They’re getting heavier and heavier and it’s just like, if you don’t get on the bandwagon of a heavier car, then the world is less safe. And if you do, then we’re just agreeing that heavier is okay and the battle for weight in the name of safety will continue.

Heavier cars also cause greater wear to our roads and will eat tires quicker.

My last daily (3 series) was totaled by a lifted truck rear ending me. It went over my frame rails and crash bar and invited its bumper to nearly touch my rear window. It drove home. I’d hate to even imagine what would have happened if the car was twice as heavy. I was in physical therapy for two years and I’m under 30.
The good thing about an EV is that all that weight is down low so it's less likely to drive over and crush you like a lifted truck would. Though if you have an unlucky meeting with a Hummer EV, I guess you're really screwed.

Reactions: Tagbert

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
The good thing about an EV is that all that weight is down low so it's less likely to drive over and crush you like a lifted truck would. Though if you have an unlucky meeting with a Hummer EV, I guess you're really screwed.

Even still, just on physics alone, a 6,000lb car vs a 3,000lb car - it’s just going to push and fold the 3,000lb car. It has more potential energy. Two 3k lb cars each hitting each other head on at 10mph will both receive the same impact.

A 6,000lb car head on with a 3,000lb car both at 10mph, the 6,000lb car will decelerate 5mph and the 3,000lb car will have a net deceleration of 15mph, assuming perfect inelasticity but still highlights the issue at hand since both will have “similar” crumble zones. Obvious few impacts are so slow. Up the speeds here and the lighter car is always really screwed. I refuse to believe that just buying a heavier car is the answer.

I get they’re heavy to meet a customer desire but I hope this trend eventually has an end.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
No doubt.

But the Model S with its own 100 kWh battery weighs over 1000 lb. less than the new Charger EV. Same with the Lucid.

The monsterous Cybertruck is only 1,000 lb. heavier than the Charger.

But my main point with that jab is that the LX/LY Charger and Challenger were also porkers compared to the competition. Camaro and Mustang were around 3600 lb. The Challenger weighing close to 4500 lb. So the new Charger EV is keeping up with tradition on being fat pigs compared to other vehicles that they compete against.
Yes, I do understand. The problem with making this car lighter is that it would become a lot more expensive. The only way to somewhat offset the heaviness of the battery would be by using lighter and more expensive materials for the frame, body panels, suspension, brakes, and so on... all without sacrificing the vehicle's integrity (making it unsafe, for example). The Cyber-truck relatively light compared to some of the other trucks, but its lightness comes at a heavy cost. It is expensive.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The Cybertruck is also incredibly unsafe for pedestrians due to its sharp bonnet and lack of crumple zones in the front quarters. I doubt we will see it in Europe any time soon as Euro NCAP will fail it pretty quickly. It will need to be redesigned for this market, but then they won’t do that because it would mean new materials. Plus pickup trucks are not too popular in the domestic market and I doubt your average farmer, road worker is going to buy a Cybertruck over a Hilux or Navara.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The Cybertruck is also incredibly unsafe for pedestrians due to its sharp bonnet and lack of crumple zones in the front quarters. I doubt we will see it in Europe any time soon as Euro NCAP will fail it pretty quickly. It will need to be redesigned for this market, but then they won’t do that because it would mean new materials. Plus pickup trucks are not too popular in the domestic market and I doubt your average farmer, road worker is going to buy a Cybertruck over a Hilux or Navara.
Not only unsafe to other drivers and public, but possibly the ugliest thing on the road. It has outstanding aerodynamics, but the "covered" bed makes no sense. Also, one could tow a trailer that is heavily loaded with it, but "electric heavy-towing on road" is not the most economical way. Too much energy is lost from the battery when "heavy-towing," plus range loss. Hybrid technology would be a better idea (lighter, more room for cargo, and longer drive range). The same for ships, in which case engines with generators provide all the electricity needed for the electric motors, and even smaller batteries.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.