Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
After almost 3 weeks of usage, I can confirm this keyboard is just fantastic and I recommend it even with the high price it ask. Its almost better to type compared to my real magic keyboard 2. Its so easy to put in and out as well, its the perfect case for me and I use my iPad Pro way more now so for me this case is a real game changer.

Reactions: iGeneo and MacMandy

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
I’ve had mine for three days now and I love it. I’ve found easy ways to open it and also to remove the ipad when it’s closed. Sat in bed, its much better than my MPB. That used to slide around on the duvet and I had to use a lap desk in case the air vents were covered, and it got hot.

It’s obvious that we need to be able to alter the settings easier, but I’m hopeful of a software update for this. For me, this is streets ahead of the Keyboard folio and a joy to use.

This thing is expensive though. If you’re in the UK, and can get a UNIDAYS student code, you can get 20% off at O2 Accessories Shop online, which was a £70 saving on my 12.9”, making it a more reasonable £280. (£240 for the 11”)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
For those that have one, what is the quality like? for example is the trackpad Apple's usual standard? (in other words great). I haven't had the opportunity to see one in person since all Apple stores are currently shut here in the U.K due to Covid :(

From the Youtube videos i have watched during my research, it looks sturdy and of good quality. My only thing is the price, is it really worth £349 :eek:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
For those that have one, what is the quality like? for example is the trackpad Apple's usual standard? (in other words great). I haven't had the opportunity to see one in person since all Apple stores are currently shut here in the U.K due to Covid :(

From the Youtube videos i have watched during my research, it looks sturdy and of good quality. My only thing is the price, is it really worth £349 :eek:

The quality is very high for what it is - a tablet keyboard accessory. I've owned lots of these over the years, from multiple Microsoft Surface keyboards, to a variety of first and third party accessories for various iPads. This is the best of the lot, by far. For that reason alone it makes it worthwhile to me - because there is nothing else on the market with this combination of features - at any price.

The keyboard is excellent - lots of people saying it's as good or better than current Macbook keyboards. It's still not quite as good as my Thinkpad keyboard - but excellent nonetheless. The trackpad is extremely responsive and accurate, and though it is a hinged mechanism, Apple has managed to do what no PC maker has done - ever - and make it clickable at all 4 corners. The main issue is the activation pressure is a bit too high. I use tap to click, although not every mouse action is compatible - sometimes you must click.

Main complaint seems to be the material it is covered in - I understand both sides of this issue. My Smart Keyboard Folio held up well enough - certainly better than if they'd used real leather. It would be nice, however if it felt a bit less rubbery and a bit more premium.

Reactions: Dave245

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The quality is very high for what it is - a tablet keyboard accessory. I've owned lots of these over the years, from multiple Microsoft Surface keyboards, to a variety of first and third party accessories for various iPads. This is the best of the lot, by far. For that reason alone it makes it worthwhile to me - because there is nothing else on the market with this combination of features - at any price.

The keyboard is excellent - lots of people saying it's as good or better than current Macbook keyboards. It's still not quite as good as my Thinkpad keyboard - but excellent nonetheless. The trackpad is extremely responsive and accurate, and though it is a hinged mechanism, Apple has managed to do what no PC maker has done - ever - and make it clickable at all 4 corners. The main issue is the activation pressure is a bit too high. I use tap to click, although not every mouse action is compatible - sometimes you must click.

Main complaint seems to be the material it is covered in - I understand both sides of this issue. My Smart Keyboard Folio held up well enough - certainly better than if they'd used real leather. It would be nice, however if it felt a bit less rubbery and a bit more premium.

I agree with everything you wrote (other than the Thinkpad comparison - I haven't used one so I couldn't say) - and your comments made me think about the high quality vs. high cost. I hadn't thought about that issue in this way before, but here's my take.

I've owned a lot of this sort of accessory since the iPad 2 and this is the first one I've liked enough to either not return it or not stick it in a drawer and never use it. Looked at from that perspective, maybe the MKB really is worth its high cost.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Has anybody bought one of those MagSafe-like adapters found on Amazon and added it to their IPP/MK combo? I’m guessing it won’t work in the keyboard port as the female side is too wide, but looks like it should work on the iPad port.
EDIT: just got one of these adapters from Amazon. Plugged it into the side port on the MK, and it works great! Keyboard closes without a problem. Super handy to quickly plug in and charge the iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: dazz87

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
It was a BRILLIANT move for Apple to put the charging port on the left hand side of the Magic Keyboard – i.e. on the opposite side from the charging port on the iPad Pro that is docked on the MK. It means that no matter which side of the bed or couch I’m on, I can plug in conveniently.

parmid100

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
Has anybody bought one of those MagSafe-like adapters found on Amazon and added it to their IPP/MK combo? I’m guessing it won’t work in the keyboard port as the female side is too wide, but looks like it should work on the iPad port.
EDIT: just got one of these adapters from Amazon. Plugged it into the side port on the MK, and it works great! Keyboard closes without a problem. Super handy to quickly plug in and charge the iPad.
Can you share the link to the adapter?

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
It was a BRILLIANT move for Apple to put the charging port on the left hand side of the Magic Keyboard – i.e. on the opposite side from the charging port on the iPad Pro that is docked on the MK. It means that no matter which side of the bed or couch I’m on, I can plug in conveniently.
The big downside of the MK charging port is it charge the iPad way too slowly at a point its not worth to use that port for charging if my battery is low and want to continue use my iPad. I’ll still charge with the iPad port itself.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Guess my question above doesn't matter now that I've received my 12.9 MK (Verizon guest checkout, received via 2-day air from Fresno, CA). This thing is wonderful and I don't find it heavy at all. It's in perfect condition too, so it's a keeper.

I've got a Sopiguard black forged carbon arriving on Monday.

And to top it off, I've gone completely iPad-only after recently selling my Mac Mini (life/work changes; no longer need a Mac). I'm keeping the 4K display to use as needed with the iPad, but for now there's no need to even sit at my desk. I tried going iPad-only in 2018 but it didn't work very well. This time was the charm because of all the iPadOS changes and this amazing MK.

Now to finish setting up some keyboard stuff ... and to delete the macOS partition of my brain.

Last edited:

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011

What is the output of the charger unit you have it plugged into?

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
What is the output of the charger unit you have it plugged into?
Do you have a way to test it? I’m happy to do so for you.
edit: sorry, just looked—it’s the standard ipad usb-a brick. i have an extra long usb-a to usb-c cable I bought from Amazon to stretch across my desk.

Last edited:

Nels82

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
Hi, can anyone recommend a way of cleaning the marks that the Magic Keyboard outer case seems to attract. I’m very cautious of averting greasy fingers etc but still this thing seems to pick up marks.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Hi, can anyone recommend a way of cleaning the marks that the Magic Keyboard outer case seems to attract. I’m very cautious of averting greasy fingers etc but still this thing seems to pick up marks.
That's a very good question. There must be something. I had some luck with an iKlear wipe when I had an SKF. With my new MK, until the Sopiguard skins arrive, I'm using it sitting in the original iPad box and not closing the case, so I don't have to touch the outside. I realize that probably sounds ridiculously careful, but I want to see if it's possible.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
That's a very good question. There must be something. I had some luck with an iKlear wipe when I had an SKF. With my new MK, until the Sopiguard skins arrive, I'm using it sitting in the original iPad box and not closing the case, so I don't have to touch the outside. I realize that probably sounds ridiculously careful, but I want to see if it's possible.

A damp (not wet) microfibre cloth works well for me.

Reactions: newellj

Nels82

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
Noticed one of the keys on my brand new keyboard was chipped. Called Apple and they were great, no quibbles and have agreed to replace it.
Has anyone in the UK had to have theirs replaced? How long did you have to wait to receive the replacement after returning your faulty product? It’s annoying because there is a 3 week wait on new Keyboard orders.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Get a skin, that’s my plan. Just waiting for my leather one to arrive. Had enough of the marks as well.

DwayneJohnson

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
It’s obvious that we need to be able to alter the settings easier, but I’m hopeful of a software update for this. For me, this is streets ahead of the Keyboard folio and a joy to use.
I don’t find using the screen brightness controls on the control center a particular problem. Volume with the buttons or again with control center is also not a problem. Keyboard shortcuts would be fine but I’m not really missing them.

The real issue is the key backlight brightness. I want that added to control center. A keyboard shortcut would also be a good idea. I do have a partial solution for now though, a Shortcut.

You can create a shortcut and add it to Widgets to open to the hardware keyboard page to give access to the key backlight brightness slider. To do this:

• create a new shortcut.
  • tap on the Web category
  • add a URL line
  • use the URL: prefs:root=General&path=Keyboard/Hardware%20Keyboard
  • add an Open URLs line
  • name the shortcut with the ... button and select Show in Widget and turn off Show in Share Sheet.
That’s it. Now you can open to the keyboard backlight brightness directly from the home screen.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I’ve had the Magic Keyboard for a few days now... I have to say - once the touch only limitation was removed I started to realize how much better the iPad can be than a Mac for everyday computing tasks. It’s not anything specific really, just the general smoothness and intuitiveness of the UI and the ability to do touch/tablet and cursor/desktop - it really is a winning combo and I think Apple nailed it.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Is anyone expecting new OS features for the keyboard in iPadOS 14 at WWDC? it will be interesting to see if Apple push the iPad Pro further as a laptop/computer replacement.

stlredbird

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2009
Is anyone expecting new OS features for the keyboard in iPadOS 14 at WWDC? it will be interesting to see if Apple push the iPad Pro further as a laptop/computer replacement.

I'm think they will add a quicker way to adjust the keyboard light. I'm hopeful that they will add some some way to create some sort of function key functionality. Not sure what that would be but really those are the only 2 things I want :)

Reactions: Dave245
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.