Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I charge up twice a day--usually from between 40-50%, including overnight and during a meal break. I'm on probably ~8-10 hours/day, and am not disappointed in the battery life. That said, it stays home all the time so not trying to make a charge last between destinations.

Reactions: ascender

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
The backlight on my keyboard has started acting wonky. Sometimes it won’t turn off when my iPad is off, and other times it won’t turn on. Always solved by popping the iPad off the keyboard and replacing it, but the issue always comes back eventually. I assume it’s a software issue.

DavidQPR

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Leighton Buzzard UK
I have had my magic keyboard about a week and am rather disappointed.

I can’t drag and drop app icons, they just spring back where they were before I’ve finished dragging.
YouTube app(play/pause with the space bar and 10 seconds forward with arrow keys) doesn’t work with the keyboard. I know that’s YouTube problem though.
I find it almost impossible to dismiss a slide over app- probably my crack handiness though
I find it often takes several attempts to bring up the multitasking bar
Three finger upward swipe has never worked for me

I thought the keyboard would to a great extent replace my use of my MacBook Pro but it actually hasn’t as I find the magic keyboard too frustrating to use. Is it just me as most reviews are glowing.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
The backlight on my keyboard has started acting wonky. Sometimes it won’t turn off when my iPad is off, and other times it won’t turn on. Always solved by popping the iPad off the keyboard and replacing it, but the issue always comes back eventually. I assume it’s a software issue.
Same. I assume this will get resolved at some point. I’m pretty sure the keyboard backlight not turning off is the origin of the Magic Keyboard battery drain issue.

Reactions: pdaholic

prov14

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
Instead of everything being swiped/navigated through the screen, movement in and between apps are now centralized via the trackpad am I correct? Has anyone found this a big adjustment?

Is the MK more appropriate for 12.9” ipp’s? Asking this one because actual vision and screen size might be too small/far already on the 11”+MK given the distance of the tablet in relation to eyesight.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Instead of everything being swiped/navigated through the screen, movement in and between apps are now centralized via the trackpad am I correct? Has anyone found this a big adjustment?

Is the MK more appropriate for 12.9” ipp’s? Asking this one because actual vision and screen size might be too small/far already on the 11”+MK given the distance of the tablet in relation to eyesight.
I got my 2018 refurb 12.9 about 3 weeks before the MK came (during which I tried out the SKF). Once I put it on the MK, initially my hand-brain kept reaching to touch the screen instead of using the trackpad. It took a couple of days to get rewired, so to speak. Now I only touch the screen when playing games. Yes, you can use trackpad for almost everything for which you might touch the screen.

Having not tried the MK with an IPP 11, I couldn't say whether it's more appropriate with the 12.9. With the 12.9 for my usage (work and play) it's a solid laptop replacement and I couldn't be happier. I've only taken it off the MK once in the month I've had it. The keyboard spacing is very comfortable for my hands. Although I've had other iPads (Pro and Air) in the past, this time I came from using a Mini 5 (which are wonderful!) with a keyboard case to the 12.9. It didn't feel too big, was much better on my eyes, and split screen on it was a revelation. Eyesight-wise I only wear low diopter readers for working on the 12.9. I use the zoomed view as well and the default website zoom at 115%. The same options can be adjusted on the 11" to make it a comfortable experience.

Last edited:

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Is Apple updating this device without us knowing? I would imagine it has updatable firmware. Just curious, as it’s behavior seems subtly different recently. Don’t know.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Is Apple updating this device without us knowing? I would imagine it has updatable firmware. Just curious, as it’s behavior seems subtly different recently. Don’t know.
I haven't noticed any changes. Could you provide some details about what seems different?

prov14

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
I got my 2018 refurb 12.9 about 3 weeks before the MK came (during which I tried out the SKF). Once I put it on the MK, initially my hand-brain kept reaching to touch the screen instead of using the trackpad. It took a couple of days to get rewired, so to speak. Now I only touch the screen when playing games. Yes, you can use trackpad for almost everything for which you might touch the screen.

Having not tried the MK with an IPP 11, I couldn't say whether it's more appropriate with the 12.9. With the 12.9 for my usage (work and play) it's a solid laptop replacement and I couldn't be happier. I've only taken it off the MK once in the month I've had it. The keyboard spacing is very comfortable for my hands. Although I've had other iPads (Pro and Air) in the past, this time I came from using a Mini 5 (which are wonderful!) with a keyboard case to the 12.9. It didn't feel too big, was much better on my eyes, and split screen on it was a revelation. Eyesight-wise I only wear low diopter readers for working on the 12.9. I use the zoomed view as well and the default website zoom at 115%. The same options can be adjusted on the 11" to make it a comfortable experience.

Hey man thanks. Still 50/50 on the MK, looking for even just an average reason (given my needs lifestyle etc) to buy it. Will keep everything you said in mind 👍

Reactions: 0128672

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
This is now one of my favourite accessories Apple have done in recent years. I know its been a bit of a love/hate as its not perfect, but the more I used it, the more I really like what they’ve done here and how its allowing me to use my iPad Pro as I always wanted to.

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
Got one of these last night. Very nice indeed.

One little niggle is the fact that the entire keyboard doesn't seem to sit entirely flat on any surface. The left side can be "tapped" and the screen will wobble slightly, while the right side of the keyboard doesn't seem to show this problem. Wondering if I should get a replacement of if this is something that will settle with a little usage...

Other than that: Great device and despite the small trackpad and smaller keys, I'm finding the iPad much more useful as a productivity tool. My iPP was usually just sitting around and being used for occasional gaming, email oder for some handwritten notes (as I love using the pencil). Now I'll probably carry this around with me on small business trips and on holiday. No need to take my MBP. Might also mean that I'll switch to a proper Mac desktop and leave MacBooks altogether.

Reactions: ccrgt

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Been using it for more than a week now with my iPad Pro 2020 11” as an MBP replacement. So far so good.
Occasionally wishing the hinge would go further back and the trackpad to be slightly taller. But the typing experience is the best in my life (I’m sure the keyboard on the new Macbooks are even slightly better). It’s on laptop mode 85% now (except when I’m drawing with the Pencil).

Wishlist for future OS update feature: tap and drag with three fingers like on the Macbook please! (Accessibility feature).

Mickey London

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2020
How do you protect the iPad when using as actual iPad?
once you take it off the keyboard it is slippery, not easy to hold in one hand and very fragile.

Reactions: artfossil

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
once you take it off the keyboard it is slippery, not easy to hold in one hand and very fragile.
Personally I’ve never had a problem using the iPad Pro naked. Not sure how you would drop it under normal usage. The 11” is easy enough to hold in one hand but I agree the 12.9” is a bit more difficult. I don’t see how that makes it easy to drop though. I’ve been using a iPad for about 10 years now and have never dropped one.

Reactions: zhenya

BATman.Berlin

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
California

Not at all. Never dropped it. It fell out of bed a few time onto the hardwood floor but no damage (to the iPad). Seems to be built sturdy enough to be used w/o protection. Have the 11 though

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I use the Apple Smart Cover. I'm clumsy, easily distracted and have cats and tile floors so I prefer to use my iPad with a cover to make it less slippery.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I’ve just got a skin on the back of mine which gives it a bit more friction/grip and stops my OCD from kicking-in whenever I set it down on a surface

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland

dBrand Dragon Skin is a perfect material for the back. Grippy to hold, looks nice, works well with the keyboard. And protects from scratches.
[automerge]1595609285[/automerge]
Got one of these last night. Very nice indeed.

One little niggle is the fact that the entire keyboard doesn't seem to sit entirely flat on any surface. The left side can be "tapped" and the screen will wobble slightly, while the right side of the keyboard doesn't seem to show this problem. Wondering if I should get a replacement of if this is something that will settle with a little usage...

Other than that: Great device and despite the small trackpad and smaller keys, I'm finding the iPad much more useful as a productivity tool. My iPP was usually just sitting around and being used for occasional gaming, email oder for some handwritten notes (as I love using the pencil). Now I'll probably carry this around with me on small business trips and on holiday. No need to take my MBP. Might also mean that I'll switch to a proper Mac desktop and leave MacBooks altogether.

It won’t settle, it’s hard metal. Mine sits completely flat. You can consider it a defect if it bothers you and ask for a replacement.

rnmcd

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
Hi everyone,
I just got a 12.9 Pro and am looking at keyboard options. This replaced an old iPad and Macbook Air. My Air was mostly for tablet-type tasks with some hobby graphic work (not day job work), so I decided to replace both with 1 device + keyboard. Just want to point this out specifically because ease of pulling on/off to switch between a tablet or laptop form factor was an important factor in reducing to 1 device.

Would anyone with experience with both the Magic KB and the Brydge recommend one over the other? While there are a handful of smaller cons for each, my biggest concerns can be boiled down to:
- Ease of in/out from the Brydge.
- Price and materials/durability of the Magic. It's so much money to pay for something that seems like it will wear down easily. But, worth noting that it's not what I'll be using 8 hours a day every day. Mostly evening/weekend device.

I can't decide if I'll be more bothered by paying less but being frustrated daily about getting it on and off the case vs. paying more but worrying about the wear on the case. I'd love to know if anyone with similar priorities/concerns has hands on thoughts?

Thank you!

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Hi everyone,
I just got a 12.9 Pro and am looking at keyboard options. This replaced an old iPad and Macbook Air. My Air was mostly for tablet-type tasks with some hobby graphic work (not day job work), so I decided to replace both with 1 device + keyboard. Just want to point this out specifically because ease of pulling on/off to switch between a tablet or laptop form factor was an important factor in reducing to 1 device.

Would anyone with experience with both the magic and the brydge recommend one over the other? Other potentially helpful info, I'll use it as a "laptop" on a desk + a lot on the couch/lap. I'll use it as a tablet in bed.

While there are a handful of smaller cons for each, my biggest concerns can be boiled down to:
- Ease of in/out from the Brydge.
- Price and materials/durability of the Magic Keyboard. It's so much money to pay for something that seems like it will wear down easily. But probably worth noting that it's not what I'll be using 8 hours a day every day. Mostly evening/weekend device.

I can't decide if I'll be more bothered by paying less but being frustrated daily about getting it on and off the case vs. paying more but worrying about the wear on the case. I'd love to know if anyone with similar priorities/concerns has hands on thoughts?

Thank you!

I have the Brydge (non trackpad) and the MK. I can say, definitely, that the MK is the one you want.

At the time, the Brydge served me well. The typing experience was ok and I needed something to take my iPad out of easily. That, and the magnetic backing that comes with the Brydge, was great. I was able to stick my iPad onto a metal stand and even if the stand fell over, the magnets were strong enough to keep my iPad held onto the stand.

However, the problems came after half a year of use. I had to replace one unit because some keys stopped working. Then, after another half a year of use, the Bluetooth connection became wonky. Like, I would type and type and it wouldn't connect right away.

Now, I like the fact that I can also detach my Brydge and use my keyboard remotely - something you can't do on the MK. But, I also hated the fact that whenever I detached the Brydge and just wanted to use the iPad by itself that it was still connected to the keyboard. I would forget often and wonder why I couldn't access the on screen keyboard.

The rubber hinges also give away if you take your iPad in and out of the keyboard with enough frequency. They never damaged my iPad, and I'm sure a lot of people questioned whether these hinges would dent an already fragile iPad. But the rubber hinges do wear out with use and it exposes a sharp metal hinge underneath.

Lapability is great with either keyboard, but you definitely notice the wobble on the Brydge. The MK never wobbles on the lap. Weight is negligible to me, so that was never an issue. But the typing experience is great on the MK because it's always on. You never have to wait for a bluetooth connection. Also, I prefer the experience on the MK over the Brydge.

Because I don't have the trackpad version for Brydge, I can't compare those two, but given everything else, I don't think I would give the Brydge another try. Apple's solution is far superior.

If you have any questions, let me know!

rnmcd

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
I have the Brydge (non trackpad) and the MK. I can say, definitely, that the MK is the one you want.

At the time, the Brydge served me well. The typing experience was ok and I needed something to take my iPad out of easily. That, and the magnetic backing that comes with the Brydge, was great. I was able to stick my iPad onto a metal stand and even if the stand fell over, the magnets were strong enough to keep my iPad held onto the stand.

However, the problems came after half a year of use. I had to replace one unit because some keys stopped working. Then, after another half a year of use, the Bluetooth connection became wonky. Like, I would type and type and it wouldn't connect right away.

Now, I like the fact that I can also detach my Brydge and use my keyboard remotely - something you can't do on the MK. But, I also hated the fact that whenever I detached the Brydge and just wanted to use the iPad by itself that it was still connected to the keyboard. I would forget often and wonder why I couldn't access the on screen keyboard.

The rubber hinges also give away if you take your iPad in and out of the keyboard with enough frequency. They never damaged my iPad, and I'm sure a lot of people questioned whether these hinges would dent an already fragile iPad. But the rubber hinges do wear out with use and it exposes a sharp metal hinge underneath.

Lapability is great with either keyboard, but you definitely notice the wobble on the Brydge. The MK never wobbles on the lap. Weight is negligible to me, so that was never an issue. But the typing experience is great on the MK because it's always on. You never have to wait for a bluetooth connection. Also, I prefer the experience on the MK over the Brydge.

Because I don't have the trackpad version for Brydge, I can't compare those two, but given everything else, I don't think I would give the Brydge another try. Apple's solution is far superior.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Thank you so much! This was super helpful. I hadn't even thought about the other points you mentioned about the keyboard remaining connected. I can see that being a seemingly minor thing I would find annoying if I'm doing a lot of switching back and forth. And not that it's great to hear that the Brydge has different wearing down issues as well, but it since I will be taking it in and out often, this definitely adds a con to the Brydge column. I'm going to pull the trigger on the MK!

Reactions: ejin222 and 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.