Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Certainly sounds interesting with screen tk body rumoured to be 92%. Rumours it may have a notch and have the camera landscape

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
The main prob is as always “Updates”. To find out, just check e.g. the Galaxy Tab S5e from 2019, it won’t get Android 12, while the iPad Pro 12.9“ 1. Gen from 2015 will still get iOS 15.

Under these circumstances it‘s very hard to buy an Android Tablet, they really need to fix this.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Android/Samsung have committed to 3 years of major OS updates. With the Tab S8 launching with Android 12, expect it to cap off at Android 15. Security updates are something else. I believe Samsung is committing to 4 years of security updates.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The main prob is as always “Updates”. To find out, just check e.g. the Galaxy Tab S5e from 2019, it won’t get Android 12, while the iPad Pro 12.9“ 1. Gen from 2015 will still get iOS 15.

Under these circumstances it‘s very hard to buy an Android Tablet, they really need to fix this.

iPadOS is like 10 years behind in features and polish though. File manager, notifications, settings menu hierarchy, power saving performance, pen to text transcription, UI, etc. are worse than older Android versions. For example...

File Manager Android - One pause for copy/paste.
File Manager iPadOS - Two pauses, one for copy and another for paste.

Google Maps - Double-tap drag up to zoom out and down to zoom in.
Apple Maps - Incorrect opposite with double-tap drag up to zoom in and down to zoom out. When you go higher in altitude things get smaller and not bigger and, vice versa, when you go lower things get bigger and not smaller.

Notifications Android - Easy tap to open app or swipe to dismiss.
Notifications iPadOS - PITA swipe one way to open and swipe other way plus select from menu options to dismiss so more steps.

Limit frame rate to 60 fps Android - Games like Sky Force Reloaded runs fine.
Limit frame rate to 60 fps iPadOS - Sky Force Reloaded is unplayable at like 15fps.

Menu hierarchy of limit frame rate to 60Hz on Android correctly categorized in Display settings.
Menu hierarchy of limit frame rate to 60fps on iPadOS hidden in Accessibility?!

iPadOS on iPad Pro M1 feels braindead in comparison to Galaxy Tab S7+.

Reactions: arogge

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
iPadOS is like 10 years behind in features and polish though. File manager, notifications, settings menu hierarchy, power saving performance, pen to text transcription, UI, etc. are worse than older Android versions. For example...

File Manager Android - One pause for copy/paste.
File Manager iPadOS - Two pauses, one for copy and another for paste.

Google Maps - Double-tap drag up to zoom out and down to zoom in.
Apple Maps - Incorrect opposite with double-tap drag up to zoom in and down to zoom out. When you go higher in altitude things get smaller and not bigger and, vice versa, when you go lower things get bigger and not smaller.

Notifications Android - Easy tap to open app or swipe to dismiss.
Notifications iPadOS - PITA swipe one way to open and swipe other way plus select from menu options to dismiss so more steps.

Limit frame rate to 60 fps Android - Games like Sky Force Reloaded runs fine.
Limit frame rate to 60 fps iPadOS - Sky Force Reloaded is unplayable at like 15fps.

Menu hierarchy of limit frame rate to 60Hz on Android correctly categorized in Display settings.
Menu hierarchy of limit frame rate to 60fps on iPadOS hidden in Accessibility?!

iPadOS on iPad Pro M1 feels braindead in comparison to Galaxy Tab S7+.
S7+ is still being supported, but maybe Android 12 is the last major OS update.
Yeah Android have a lot of great things, I can't disagree, I just hope someday Android get some kind of long term support. Maybe the new upcoming EU law enforces and fixes it, it's about time.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
S7+ is still being supported, but maybe Android 12 is the last major OS update.
I'd think Android 13 might be. The Tab S7 series was released in 2020, with Android 10. If it gets 3 years of OS updates, or 3 platform updates, it would get Android 13. I believe it should get that same treatment as the phones released in the same year as it's running the same SoC.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
As a desktop media device, the Ultra is going to be about the best thing you can possibly get. Im still not convinced on it as a tablet, its just too damn big to big portable.

I'm more interested to see what Samsung and Android 12L can do from a software standpoint. I have the S7 Plus and while its been great for the most part, software is still not where it needs to be and 3rd party apps need optimization. Hopefully Samsung and Google can start getting more people on board. For example, Netflix quality is poor. It typically takes 5-10 minutes to finally start playing in high resolution if it does at all. Its not a internet connection issue and theres no options to force it, its just bad software.

From a hardware standpoint, the device looks amazing. It was tempting to trade in my S7 plus for the Ultra, but I think I'll probably pickup a iPad Pro later this year unless reviews for this say the software has been greatly improved.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I've resisted temptation on this one. Will stick with my 12.9 iPad pro. Wish iPad had its pop up windows and multitasking though

Agree. Dex is awesome to have, but it still feels very beta at times. Sadly, Samsung cant do much more, its the fault of 3rd party app developers and Android rather than Samsung.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
As a desktop media device, the Ultra is going to be about the best thing you can possibly get. Im still not convinced on it as a tablet, its just too damn big to big portable.

I'm more interested to see what Samsung and Android 12L can do from a software standpoint. I have the S7 Plus and while its been great for the most part, software is still not where it needs to be and 3rd party apps need optimization. Hopefully Samsung and Google can start getting more people on board. For example, Netflix quality is poor. It typically takes 5-10 minutes to finally start playing in high resolution if it does at all. Its not a internet connection issue and theres no options to force it, its just bad software.

From a hardware standpoint, the device looks amazing. It was tempting to trade in my S7 plus for the Ultra, but I think I'll probably pickup a iPad Pro later this year unless reviews for this say the software has been greatly improved.

Something is wrong, cause Netflix on my S7 plus plays high quality instantly. I think Netflix was preloaded (can't remember). Try uninstalling and reinstalling from the Play Store.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
The thing with Apple is the price stand point. Which is always a bummer. What I do the most on an tablet is browsing and streaming. Having this huge screen would give a real great experience. And the biggest positive standpoint is that Android tablets are really like mini pc's. You can do anything on it. I also find the argument about the App store laughable. I've been using the iPad Pro for a while now (already being sold). But the amount of apps that are not customized for the big screen is shocking. At least 70% is just an exact copy of the phone app, and there are still a dozen of apps not even resized.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I've also bought the Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra for €926 while the official price is €1149. So that's a great discount. Also sold my Android tablet for €300. So I've paid €626 for a 14.6 inch OLED tablet. Also included is the S Pen and the Keyboard cover, which by it self is also €300,- euro's. That's a great value from Samsung.
Screenshot-20220211-175239-Gmail.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sunking101

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The thing with Apple is the price stand point. Which is always a bummer. What I do the most on an tablet is browsing and streaming. Having this huge screen would give a real great experience. And the biggest positive standpoint is that Android tablets are really like mini pc's. You can do anything on it. I also find the argument about the App store laughable. I've been using the iPad Pro for a while now (already being sold). But the amount of apps that are not customized for the big screen is shocking. At least 70% is just an exact copy of the phone app, and there are still a dozen of apps not even resized.

Yes and no. For apps that don’t have a dedicated iPad app on iOS, you are screwed because you’re stuck with a phone version that’s stretched to fit and done so very poorly. Whereas, on a Samsung tablet if there is no dedicated tablet version of an app you can use Samsung Labs and change the aspect ratio and rotation which works really well. So in those situations, the Samsung is definitely superior.

However, if you look at the number of apps that have dedicated tablet versions, the number on the iPad blow Samsung out of the water. And those apps typically give the best experience.

It all comes down to what I spoke of earlier, the biggest hurdle in making Samsung tablets really great is getting android 3rd party devs to start creating versions of their apps that natively support a tablet UI.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Yes and no. For apps that don’t have a dedicated iPad app on iOS, you are screwed because you’re stuck with a phone version that’s stretched to fit and done so very poorly. Whereas, on a Samsung tablet if there is no dedicated tablet version of an app you can use Samsung Labs and change the aspect ratio and rotation which works really well. So in those situations, the Samsung is definitely superior.

However, if you look at the number of apps that have dedicated tablet versions, the number on the iPad blow Samsung out of the water. And those apps typically give the best experience.

It all comes down to what I spoke of earlier, the biggest hurdle in making Samsung tablets really great is getting android 3rd party devs to start creating versions of their apps that natively support a tablet UI.
I've been using ipadOS a while now. But it is being overblown. The most apps that are being iPad made are mostly focused on editing. Anyway even the apps are not that important on tablets. When you really look in to the user case of tablet users it's always browsing and streaming. In comparison people don't spend that much inside apps (excepts gaming) actually. Back to the S8 Ultra, it looks stunning.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I've been using ipadOS a while now. But it is being overblown. The most apps that are being iPad made are mostly focused on editing. Anyway even the apps are not that important on tablets. When you really look in to the user case of tablet users it's always browsing and streaming. In comparison people don't spend that much inside apps (excepts gaming) actually. Back to the S8 Ultra, it looks stunning.

Well, thats not entirely true. Just as an example, social media apps are way better on the iPad. Facebook and Twitter for example look awful on my Tab S7 to the point where I just use the web version. iPads are much better.

But for media consumption, its worth the tradeoff as that screen on the S8 Ultra should be incredible.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Well, thats not entirely true. Just as an example, social media apps are way better on the iPad. Facebook and Twitter for example look awful on my Tab S7 to the point where I just use the web version. iPads are much better.

But for media consumption, its worth the tradeoff as that screen on the S8 Ultra should be incredible.
Nah not true. Facebook is almost the same but twitter does looks better on the iPad if you use the landscape mode (which I rarely do beside watching streams). On the other hand Instagram looks plain awful on the iPad. Also how much time do you spend inside an app. Most time consuming happens while you are browsing on the net and watching streams.

It's really overblown. This comparison also shows it. I actually prefer Android more.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.