Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Well I finally did it, traded in my iPad Pro and got the tab S8 Ultra.
Nice. Almost a year later I'm still loving mine. Not getting rid of my iPad pro as I use it for alot of media stuff around the house but the Tab S8 Ultra is my workhorse. It goes with me to work everyday and on every trip I go on. Only thing I wish was better is battery life. It's not bad but definitely not iPad pro level.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
How do you like it so far? I checked it out in the store and I found the screen reflectivity to annoy me
I really like it, the 14" screen is amazing. The multitasking is much better than on the iPad Pro. In my opinion this is what the iPad Pro should be. The only thing that can be annoying at times, are some apps like Twitter, they are just blown up versions. I would recommend it, especially if you have a Samsung phone. Being able to use my S22 Ultra with the notes app is great, use it as a colour pallet is a great little feature and very Apple like.

Glad I brought it, the screen is great for watching content on.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
How do you like it so far? I checked it out in the store and I found the screen reflectivity to annoy me
I wanna know why the change as well... the S8 Ultra is a phenomenal device, if the iPad didn't exist... it would be my first choice as a tablet.

I would replace my Fold and get a iPhone (along with a AW Ultra), then have that S8 Ultra as a tablet... but I get the same type of Android tablet experience from my Fold. Therefore having the S8 Ultra seems kinda redundant to me.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I really like it, the 14" screen is amazing. The multitasking is much better than on the iPad Pro. In my opinion this is what the iPad Pro should be. The only thing that can be annoying at times, are some apps like Twitter, they are just blown up versions. I would recommend it, especially if you have a Samsung phone. Being able to use my S22 Ultra with the notes app is great, use it as a colour pallet is a great little feature and very Apple like.

Glad I brought it, the screen is great for watching content on.
Multitasking is most certainly better on the S8 Ultra... no debate. And then there's the option to use DeX on the device as well.

Did you scoop the keyboard as well or you using strictly as a tablet? I forgot that's one of my issues with Android/DeX... keyboard shortcuts & mouse gestures are lacking compared to iPadOS.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Yes. My advice is if you want one of these get the Ultra. It's just better. Very similar to the iPad line-up, but the Ultra is more extreme.

Would I trade it for the iPad 12.9"? No way, not even close. I need the 12.9" screen ratio, whereas the Ultra is simply a generic content machine, just a very good one.

Samsung has good stuff. I own a number of their things, but am in the Apple eco, and probably always will be.

They're Fold series phones, so cool. Who knows, they may actually force me to switch. But the problem is Google. I don't know why, given I use gmail and G Drive, and Play, just not sure I want to do there. Apple runs a fairly tight ship.

Competition at this level is very good for the consumer. :)

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I’m the same. I think the S8 ultra is great barring my (minor) issues with the lower brightness and higher reflectivity but love the interaction between my iMac and iPad for example. Things like universal control are more valuable to me than somewhat better multitasking.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
One year in and battery is still a champ. I have mine to cap at 85% with battery protect. Manage to get 5 hours

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Isn't that a lot less than the ipad? I heard they get about 10 hours.
They don’t really. I never get 10 hours on my iPad Pro M1. Unless maybe when the brightness is on minimum watching a Netflix movie.

6 hours in typical use is more likely

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Isn't that a lot less than the ipad? I heard they get about 10 hours.
I have an iPad Pro 12.9 and it definitely gets a little better battery life than my Tab S8 Ultra, but the S8U also has a bigger 14.6" screen and operates more like a laptop with regards to multitasking and apps running in the background. The S8 Ultra definitely doesn't get bad battery life by any means and it has really good standby battery life as well.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I use mine exclusively for watching video and occasionally reading comics.

I watched nearly 5 hours of video on it last night, and still have 52% battery left.

I don't think that's too bad really.

Edit: I've had mine since launch.

Last edited:

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Hmmm… I’ve had the 12.9” iPad Pro (2015) since a few months after launch, and although it still gets about 6 hrs of battery life while browsing or watching video’s, its getting a little battered. I was thinking of replacing it with a Samsung Tab S8 but not the Ultra, don’t like the big size.

So far from reading the thread, I can expect:
- less updates, three years if I am lucky
- fewer tablet-optimised apps
- less battery endurance
+ much lower cost

What is the difference between an S8 and an A8? Other than about 400 euros.

Last edited:

NewbieHereToLearn

macrumors newbie
Anyone here conduct a Galaxy Tab A/8” screen minor surgery? Specifically, the front screen replacement. Possible? Recommended? Not a typical crack from dropping the tablet. An entire cupboard shelf filled with crystal stemware unexpectedly collapsed onto a charging Tab A. All functions just fine, but would like to improve aesthetics. Can it be done, Doctors?
IMG_8337.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.