Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Wrong, the best apps are the ones that are a copy of the desktop website. So claiming 'nowhere' near the tablet designed apps is just false. Because a tablet based app is mostly based on how it looks on a browser. For example. The dedicated Twitter iPad app on iOS is a 99% copy of the web version. Also most apps, including iOs are based on the phone lay-out.

Disagree. It’s more than just looks, it’s loses functionality and especially smoothness. For example, on my Galaxy Tab S7 Plus I use the PWA Twitter because the android app scales horribly and just blows everything up. And while the PWA works better than the scales up android app, it’s miles behind the iPad Twitter app that’s actually built for tablets. The PWA scrolling is terrible, sometimes it doesn’t know whether to scroll the entire page vs just the feed so you see little stutters in the UI. The scrolling in general is worse. Any click on a certain tweet causes the entire page to refresh rather than transition nicely to that tweet like an app would. Embedded videos are janky. Notifications are basically browser notifications rather than dedicated app notifications with a level of control on the notification type and enhanced notification options.

So yeah, I stand by what I said. I dedication tablet app is much better than a PWA. But I’d love to hear why you think PWAs are better.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Disagree. It’s more than just looks, it’s loses functionality and especially smoothness. For example, on my Galaxy Tab S7 Plus I use the PWA Twitter because the android app scales horribly and just blows everything up. And while the PWA works better than the scales up android app, it’s miles behind the iPad Twitter app that’s actually built for tablets. The PWA scrolling is terrible, sometimes it doesn’t know whether to scroll the entire page vs just the feed so you see little stutters in the UI. The scrolling in general is worse. Any click on a certain tweet causes the entire page to refresh rather than transition nicely to that tweet like an app would. Embedded videos are janky. Notifications are basically browser notifications rather than dedicated app notifications with a level of control on the notification type and enhanced notification options.

So yeah, I stand by what I said. I dedication tablet app is much better than a PWA. But I’d love to hear why you think PWAs are better.
Again don't agree with you. Everything you're saying is not something I'm experiencing with the PWA Twitter app I have on my S8 Ultra. It could be a combination of hardware and software on your side, but here it runs butter smooth. The scrolling never stutters, the app works exactly the same as on my ipad Pro (which my gf use the most). The page also does not refresh. It remembers exactly the position you where on. Also embedded videos works properly as it should. A total different experience.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Again don't agree with you. Everything you're saying is not something I'm experiencing with the PWA Twitter app I have on my S8 Ultra. It could be a combination of hardware and software on your side, but here it runs butter smooth. The scrolling never stutters, the app works exactly the same as on my ipad Pro (which my gf use the most). The page also does not refresh. It remembers exactly the position you where on. Also embedded videos works properly as it should. A total different experience.

?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
On my Tab S7+. PWA Twitter. Runs flawlessly. Much prefer this over the normal twitter app. I wouldn't have known it's a web app if it was pre installed.

Screenshot_20220314-122202_Chrome.jpg

Using the normal Twitter App.

Screenshot_20220314-122810_Twitter.jpg

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But the issue isn’t whether Android tablet app runs better than PWA on Chrome through Galaxy Tabs… @Awesomesince86 acknowledge that PWA Twitter is better than Android Twitter tablet app. You mention how PWA has a better experience on Galaxy Tabs than on the iPad.

And I didn’t go as far as to mention PWA is better than iPad tablet app, my thoughts is that PWA is the same experience on both the Galaxy Tab and iPad.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
But the issue isn’t whether Android tablet app runs better than PWA on Chrome through Galaxy Tabs… @Awesomesince86 acknowledge that PWA Twitter is better than Android Twitter tablet app. You mention how PWA has a better experience on Galaxy Tabs than on the iPad.

And I didn’t go as far as to mention PWA is better than iPad tablet app, my thoughts is that PWA is the same experience on both the Galaxy Tab and iPad.
Nice wrong selective reading. The person you're quoting said that PWA apps are better then nothing, but in his eyes, PWA apps don't come close to tablet designed apps, which is just untrue.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
People actually use twitter in landscape mode on their tablets?

When the keyboard cover is attached, yes.
When holding it, mostly portrait.

And I think most users on the S8 Ultra will be using landscape mode the majority of the time vs having in in their hands.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Nice wrong selective reading. The person you're quoting said that PWA apps are better then nothing, but in his eyes, PWA apps don't come close to tablet designed apps, which is just untrue.
I’m not doing any selective reading. @Awesomesince86 said this below…
I use the PWA Twitter because the android app scales horribly and just blows everything up. And while the PWA works better than the scales up android app, it’s miles behind the iPad Twitter app that’s actually built for tablets.

There thought process is that only iPad twitter app is better than PWA and @LIVEFRMNYC post you agreed to is comparing Twitter PWA to Twitter Android app.

It’s like this… iPad Twitter App > PWA > Android Twitter App.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Look, I get that we all like to justify our purchases. I have a Tab S7 Plus and I came from an iPad Pro. To say the PWA or android apps using android labs are as good as the dedicated iPad apps is just incorrect. They might be good enough for you and that’s great, but to say they are better? Sorry, it’s just false. I’ve given plenty of reasons as to why and I don’t intend to talk myself in circles.

If the PWA app meets your needs, that’s great.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I was being hyperbolic but the fact remains that iPad/Galaxy Tab dedicated apps > PWA apps > android apps scaled to fit > iPhone apps on the iPad which scale horribly.

Reactions: aggie99

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I’m not doing any selective reading. @Awesomesince86 said this below…

There thought process is that only iPad twitter app is better than PWA and @LIVEFRMNYC post you agreed to is comparing Twitter PWA to Twitter Android app.

It’s like this… iPad Twitter App > PWA > Android Twitter App.
Dude you do. You also don't seems to get the point. You're guessing in what you think, I agreed on. Which is again wrong. @Awesomesince86 posted just before those screenshots, his opinion about his experience with the PWA Twitter app. Which I and @LIVEFRMNYC don't agree on. The thing he said is not something which I recon while using the same app. And from @LIVEFRMNYC post he also thinks the same. It's NOT about comparing the Android Twitter app with the Android PWA app as you say.

Also your list, you've made, is just your opinion. I would say that the PWA Twitter app in general acts, feels and performs the same as the iOS app. You're entitled to feel different about it, but that's just an subjective opinion. As mine is. But you can't speak like those are facts. Anyway just like the last time, when you've asked to get the discussion back on-topic, I think we've reached that point in this discussion as well. I would say agree to disagree and let this topic not getting derailed. After all it's all about the tablet.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Also your list, you've made, is just your opinion. I would say that the PWA Twitter app in general acts, feels and performs the same as the iOS app. You're entitled to feel different about it, but that's just an subjective opinion. As mine is. But you can't speak like those are facts. Anyway just like the last time, when you've asked to get the discussion back on-topic, I think we've reached that point in this discussion as well. I would say agree to disagree and let this topic not getting derailed. After all it's all about the tablet.
It is what it is. But you brought up comparing PWA on Tab S8 Ultra to the iPad… which led to this discussion.

I actually asked a valid question about the tablet experience to get back on topic and was ignored. I wanted to know about trackpad gestures…

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I wanted to know about trackpad gestures…

If it's anything like the S7+, then the trackpad gestures are good. Not as fluid as the trackpad on a MacBook, but I have no issues. The worst thing about the trackpad is clicking. That's something I hope improved with the S8 Ultra keyboard.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
First time using an Android tablet. So far the experience is good with s8 ultra but I can't figure out how to make the screen light up when I get notifications. I can hear the sound but the screen remains closed. I have to manually open screen and then look for the notification. It's this the default behavior?

I have all the notification open for everything but no luck

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Received my S8 ultra a few days ago, and this thing is a beast. I probably should of gotten the s8 plus because it is a bit hard to hold it and use it with one hand, a little heavy and big. However, when I sit, I prop it on my leg and it works great. Screen is so sharp and bright, and everything so far has worked well. It was part of the deal from Samsung with the S22 Ultra and that as a discount. I am still questioning if I should of gotten the iPAd Pro. I could always sell this I guess. Will see how it does over the next weeks.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well looks like I'll have to pass on the Ultra thanks to POS FedEx. Three bogus failed attempts, when myself or another was home expecting them. Now they are returning to sender. Before, I basically had to chase down the FedEx guy in his half ass attempt to get my Fold 3. And with the S22 Ultra I was lucky enough to be parking at the same time the FedEx truck came. He was just sitting in the truck about to leave with no attempt made to deliver. :mad:

This wasn't a problem before, cause I would expect FedEx not to deliver and just pick the package up from their pick up center. But for the last year or two, Samsung forbids customers from picking up at FedEx.

Samsung CS was basically no help neither. Even though the lady did try.

I searched online and this seems to be a common complaint. I simply won't be pre-ordering any products from Samsung unless they allow it to be shipped to a Samsung store and picked up, or they drop FedEx as their shipper.

Maybe I'll going the BestBuy route only if they have the same deals as direct from Samsung.

• Sad
Reactions: Klyster

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Well looks like I'll have to pass on the Ultra thanks to POS FedEx. Three bogus failed attempts, when myself or another was home expecting them. Now they are returning to sender. Before, I basically had to chase down the FedEx guy in his half ass attempt to get my Fold 3. And with the S22 Ultra I was lucky enough to be parking at the same time the FedEx truck came. He was just sitting in the truck about to leave with no attempt made to deliver. :mad:

This wasn't a problem before, cause I would expect FedEx not to deliver and just pick the package up from their pick up center. But for the last year or two, Samsung forbids customers from picking up at FedEx.

Samsung CS was basically no help neither. Even though the lady did try.

I searched online and this seems to be a common complaint. I simply won't be pre-ordering any products from Samsung unless they allow it to be shipped to a Samsung store and picked up, or they drop FedEx as their shipper.

Maybe I'll going the BestBuy route only if they have the same deals as direct from Samsung.
That bites, I have had my share of problems with Amazon Prime deliveries. I’m at the point where I have them drop it off at one of their lockers and if it’s too big for their lockers I buy it from somewhere else.

Best Buy does have some really good deals but they tend to be carrier based as I don’t think they sell unlocked phones.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
At the moment the Tab S8 Ultra is £150 off and they are giving away a free Tab A8 when you buy.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The main prob is as always “Updates”. To find out, just check e.g. the Galaxy Tab S5e from 2019, it won’t get Android 12, while the iPad Pro 12.9“ 1. Gen from 2015 will still get iOS 15.

Under these circumstances it‘s very hard to buy an Android Tablet, they really need to fix this.
As long as the apps get updated, I'm ok with it. I still have my Tab S2 and it would be ok for me if it weren't so slow.

I'm looking to upgrade my Tablet now as well but looking at the S7. I don't need the latest and greatest, and I'm looking at the 11". I think 12.4" is too big.

May look into a Chromebook or a Surface.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Finally got my hands the S8 Ultra. FedEx Ground seems to deliver properly. It's FedEx Express that's a major problem for me. If I wasn't able to select standard shipping instead of express, I wouldn't have purchased. No way was I purchasing without the keyboard included for free.

So far I'm really liking it. I'm also surprised how much the keyboard has improved compared to the S7+. The trackpad is much smoother and less annoying to click. They still need to work on the clicking though. Keys are much easier to type on, and that's just cause it's bigger.

Love the size of the display. It feels like a normal 15" laptop with the keyboard attached. Review videos make it seem much larger than what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.