Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Got the Tab S8 Ultra a little while agao. setting it and restoring apps from my S22U.
So far I am really impressed witht his device. Fast and smooth.

Great - will be interested to hear about it. Glad to see Samsung still in the game - Apple needs competition to push it.

Reactions: jamezr

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Samsung after chasing Apple with Jony Ive vision of making even thinner must stop now since Ive left Apple, and Apple is back in making great and sturdy devices..if the ipad pro bend just by touching it a little wrong...this Tab S8 ultra bends a little by just holding it with 2-3 fingers by far left or right edge
This pursuit for thinest must stop on Samsung too.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Samsung after chasing Apple with Jony Ive vision of making even thinner must stop now since Ive left Apple, and Apple is back in making great and sturdy devices..if the ipad pro bend just by touching it a little wrong...this Tab S8 ultra bends a little by just holding it with 2-3 fingers by far left or right edge
This pursuit for thinest must stop on Samsung too.
That’s why I put my S7+ in a case with a firm back just to avoid that problem.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
How's everyone liking their Tab S8 Ultra after a couple weeks? Had mine since last Friday so i'm still in the honeymoon period but I'm absolutely loving this device. So far it's exceeded my expectations in just about every way.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I have my lovely new S8 Ultra!

Oh my, it's instant love with this device, I have dreamed of something like this for ages, who would have guessed Samsung would be the company to pull it off.
My S22 Ultra is nice, but its just a phone. This tablet is my entertainment system, and this feels so complete.
Massive immersive screen, keyboard with backlighting, full file sytem, USB C, SD slot.....

Excuse me, I was a little emotional there 🤣

This is all I want in a tablet.

Last edited:

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I'm happy with this purchase. The best tablet I've bought yet. The big OLED screen is gorgeous. I also love the bezels. Even though it could be even more smaller in my eyes. It's by far the thinnest bezels on any tablet. And the weight distribution on this thing is also great.

Reactions: Zito Abroad

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
This review is a great take on the tablet and ecosystem advantage Apple has. Same can be said on the S22U…etc. I agree with him…it is a shame.
Well that's your take from it, but it differs from mine. I couldn't care about an ecosystem. One of the reason I like android. Because you can switch brands that easily.

Last edited:

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Glad to hear people are enjoying their S8 Ultra tablets. Unfortunately, my Mar 8 delivery date has come and passed, and now looking at another 2 weeks for delivery. Lol

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
... I couldn't care about an ecosystem. One of the reason I like android. Because you can switch brands that easily.
Not being locked in, and being able to switch brands easily, is the only way to keep OEMs on their toes, and innovating for our money. When an OEM has you locked and loaded, they have no motivation to spend money on innovating and pushing the envelope. They just sit back, wait for other OEMs to push the envelope. Once they start losing the slightest bit of market share, thats when these OEMs jump in and start offering the larger premium OLED displays, or the new folding form factors, and introduce these "first ever" models to the world. The worst thing consumers can do is, give any single OEM all the power.

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
Not being locked in, and being able to switch brands easily, is the only way to keep OEMs on their toes, and innovating for our money. When an OEM has you locked and loaded, they have no motivation to spend money on innovating and pushing the envelope. They just sit back, wait for other OEMs to push the envelope. Once they start losing the slightest bit of market share, thats when these OEMs jump in and start offering the larger premium OLED displays, or the new folding form factors, and introduce these "first ever" models to the world. The worst thing consumers can do is, give any single OEM all the power.
I don’t disagree. But innovation still happens, but it is ecosystem innovation. And the product level innovation is more measured. There is no double companies like Samsung are innovating on the product level at much more aggressive levels than Apple.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
It's not so much being locked in, rather it's not embracing "brand loyalty". There are some who come into this forum who wear rose colored glasses and have a romance with all things, Apple. They want to see other companies just pack up and leave the business to Apple. That's when a company has little incentive to innovate.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Not many people know this, but on Android you can make PWA apps. I'm getting the real full desktop experience on my tablet with this method. It's excellent. Having Twitter, Instagram and news sites as an PWA app is great. Better then anything I've seen on the iPad.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Not many people know this, but on Android you can make PWA apps. I'm getting the real full desktop experience on my tablet with this method. It's excellent. Having Twitter, Instagram and news sites as an PWA app is great. Better then anything I've seen on the iPad.
Sounds interesting. How does that work, in simple terms? I googled it but got a lot of confusing info to sift through.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I understand that it's your opinion. And I know you will stand by that as well, however... Safari supports PWA and the experience has been great for me when using PWA apps such as Twitter and Instagram through Safari on the iPad.

Reactions: magicman32

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
For those who have the keyboard with their Tab S8... how is it with the trackpad? I'm curious what gestures they have implemented for OneUI. I have a trackpad with my Fold, but it's a 3rd party keyboard. Only gestures I know of is the 3 fingers swipe up for the App Switcher.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Thanks but I was looking for more of a quick description of how you use that. Like, how is Instagram as a PWA app better than the regular app?

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
PWA apps are essentially just a web browser version of the app with an icon added to apps list. It’s better than nothing but definitely nowhere near as good as a tablet designed app.

Reactions: tbayrgs and Ludatyk

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
PWA apps are essentially just a web browser version of the app with an icon added to apps list. It’s better than nothing but definitely nowhere near as good as a tablet designed app.
Wrong, the best apps are the ones that are a copy of the desktop website. So claiming 'nowhere' near the tablet designed apps is just false. Because a tablet based app is mostly based on how it looks on a browser. For example. The dedicated Twitter iPad app on iOS is a 99% copy of the web version. Also most apps, including iOs are based on the phone lay-out.

Reactions: mi7chy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.