Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I checked the Tab S8 Ultra out again last night at Best Buy.
What an awesome device.
I bought one from Swappa for $925 with the book cover keyboard. It will be here this Friday!
Did you miss out on Samsung's pre order sales event? I could have gotten the same for $299 with my S7+ trade in. I decided to wait later this year when Samsung has its Black Friday event so I can trade in my 6th Gen iPad.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
In all fairness you can get dex for a lot cheaper, a s6 tab lite has dex too and that’s 250 right now with a update to android 12.

I’d need a reason to spend that much on a tablet8it would either have to help with work or something else.
I picked up an S7 for pretty cheap on swappa with keyboard for pretty decent price in mint condition.

Reactions: sracer

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I checked the Tab S8 Ultra out again last night at Best Buy.
What an awesome device.
I bought one from Swappa for $925 with the book cover keyboard. It will be here this Friday!
Thats a steal!!

Even with the Ultra starting at $899, the book cover keyboard alone costs another $350. Thats $1,300 already [minus tax].

Reactions: jamezr

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I got the Tab S8 Ultra and Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra Book Cover Keyboard for $925.
I think that was a good deal!
Better deal than I got since I had no Samsung device to trade-in and they only want a 2nd-gen iPad Pro, not a 3rd-gen. Ok then… ?

Reactions: SigEp265

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Its just a huge display. And when I got my S22 Ultra its was just $450 the colors are so vibrant being a 12.4” 120hz OLED HDR beast. I called it before Tim Cook likes off the shelve existing parts and this display will make it to an iPad Air or iPad Pro soon. Samsung after all is a parts supplier for Apple.
Having used a 11” 2018 iPad Pro for years. A12X CPU the Tab S8+ just feels so much snappier. The OLED display is a huge relief on the eyes and causes much less eye fatigue than the 11” IPS LCD display. I wont bore anyone by quoting specs. I will say that the Samsung Tab S+ is so light and thin, that jumping from 11” to 12.4” feels good And comfortable.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Well since the 2018 iPad Pro is 3,5 years old, it would be a bit embarrassing if the 2022 S8+ wouldn’t feel snappier. It also has double the ram (maybe more even depending on your spec) which makes a big difference. In terms of performance it’s more fair to compare it to the M1 and I think it’s safe to say the M1 would win out despite apple not allowing the iPad Pro to reach its full potential.

As for the screen it’s obvious that the OLED is superior to the standard LCD (Except in Brightness : 600 nits vs <500)
Compared to the Mini LED the difference is less obvious and it comes more down to preference.

Tab S8+/Ultra line is clearly the best video viewing experience because the aspect ratio is more suited, and in most indoor situations where brightness levels aren’t so important the OLED experience wins out easily because in darker rooms the blooming on the Mini LED becomes more apparent.

In brighter environments the Mini LED is superior because the S8 line has lower brightness levels (including HDR peak brightness levels, and higher reflectivity on the screen)

Also while the aspect ratio on the S8+ is superior for video, I find the iPad aspect ratio better for other things such as browsing the web. also portrait mode on a 16x10 screen is not the greatest experience and that limits the usability of this tablet a bit more than the iPad Pro

Basically the S8+ is an amazing device and if I could buy both I would but in my use case the iPad pro is still the preferred choice.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
This has got to be a troll post. CPU performance of the 2018 iPad is still considerably ahead of any android device. Also, why get the S8+ and not the ultra? iPad Pro wipes the floor of the smaller tablets, only appeal of the Ultra is it’s bigger than the current iPads. Like there’s reasons it was only $450:

-400 nit display vs 1000 nit on iPad
-Abysmal performance relative to M1 or even A12X
-Lackluster Android tablet app experience

To name a few. Again I look forward to the day a larger iPad comes out but it’s not even a contest. Apple is so far ahead of everyone in the tablet segment that it’s pretty sad.

• Haha
Reactions: mi7chy and PsykX

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Its just a huge display. And when I got my S22 Ultra its was just $450 the colors are so vibrant being a 12.4” 120hz OLED HDR beast. I called it before Tim Cook likes off the shelve existing parts and this display will make it to an iPad Air or iPad Pro soon. Samsung after all is a parts supplier for Apple.
Having used a 11” 2018 iPad Pro for years. A12X CPU the Tab S8+ just feels so much snappier. The OLED display is a huge relief on the eyes and causes much less eye fatigue than the 11” IPS LCD display. I wont bore anyone by quoting specs. I will say that the Samsung Tab S+ is so light and thin, that jumping from 11” to 12.4” feels good And comfortable.
These new Tab 8 tablets are really compelling devices, great features across the board. Hopefully this competition forces Apple to follow suit and improves the iPad range in line. With the iPads, performance is not an issue, they are the kings in this area, but have become lazy with features. E.g. the iPad 9 should have been given a full P3 wide colour screen, yet it still does not have it.

Anyway enjoy your Tab S8+!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I just can't see myself going back to Android. I was in from Day One and got to where I was working custom ROMs. I still have 6 tablets and multiple phones around the house. I bought the Tab S7+ but ended up returning it. My 2021 12.9 is still the best I've owned - rock solid, excellent display and great apps.

Reactions: Ludatyk

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
This has got to be a troll post. CPU performance of the 2018 iPad is still considerably ahead of any android device. Also, why get the S8+ and not the ultra? iPad Pro wipes the floor of the smaller tablets, only appeal of the Ultra is it’s bigger than the current iPads. Like there’s reasons it was only $450:

-400 nit display vs 1000 nit on iPad
-Abysmal performance relative to M1 or even A12X
-Lackluster Android tablet app experience

To name a few. Again I look forward to the day a larger iPad comes out but it’s not even a contest. Apple is so far ahead of everyone in the tablet segment that it’s pretty sad.
The Tab S8+ is £850, not sure where you got £450 from. Yes the 400 nit display is not as good as iPads, but that 1000 nits brightness on the Mini LED Pro is only accessible when viewing HDR content, and its around 600 nits during normal use.

You are absolutely right about performance though, just the iPad 9 with its A13 has about equal performance to the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip, but at least these Tab 8’s provide the Dex mode for better productivity where as the iPad pro is seriously bottle necked by Ipad OS.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
OP I think. They claimed they'd got their S22 Ultra for $450...

Which sound 100% unrealistic unless they took part on a contract deal (whereby they end up paying the difference over the life of the contract).

How? Gonna call shenanigans on that myself!
I call shenanigans myself. But its true. When I bought my S22 Ultra a few weeks ago. The Tab S8+ was $899 -$175-$250 off Samsung Promo For Pre-ordering. $475 out the door. I love it. my Only Non-OLED device now is my 11” IPad Pro

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Shorter OP: "Pay attention to MEEE".

Mods - posts criticizing Apple or honestly saying "Hey, this thing seems more advanced than Apple's version" are fine. But posts like this are blatantly posting to get a reaction. If that's ok for an OP then don't ever infract one of us for 'trolling'.

Reactions: droidgod

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
These new Tab 8 tablets are really compelling devices, great features across the board.
How are the tablet apps, though? The knock on Android tablets for a long time has been that the apps aren't made for the tablets and are just scaled up phone apps. Not an issue if someone uses the web, but apps are important. A sexy, fast device isn't more than flash if there aren't quality apps for it. Has this changed?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Hmmmm this smells like…. Could it be…

The gods be praised, it’s a thread from the iPad forums!! ?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I call shenanigans myself. But its true. When I bought my S22 Ultra a few weeks ago. The Tab S8+ was $899 -$175-$250 off Samsung Promo For Pre-ordering. $475 out the door. I love it. my Only Non-OLED device now is my 11” IPad Pro

Still can't see it. The cheapest S22 Ultra is $1,199.00. Zero chance anyone just took over over 50% of a brand new flagship phone in its first month of release without there being significantly more to the deal than is being spoken about.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
This has got to be a troll post.

I've seen an extensive review on Maxtech yesterday, and the M1 iPad Pro beats it in every aspect. CPU Performance (by far), GPU performance (by far), sound quality, screen size, screen brightness, battery, pencil latency, accessories, ...

Even the screen quality, which totally shocked me because the Tab has OLED, was inferior to the MiniLED iPad Pro.

Basically the only thing it was better at was being thinner and lighter, and the webcam was placed at a better location and of equal quality.

• Haha
Reactions: mi7chy and GuruZac

heyRob

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2019
Here some Youtube Video comparing the M1 iPad Pro vs. the Tab S8 Ultra. Doesn‘t look that good for the S8….

Reactions: GuruZac

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK

I've seen an extensive review on Maxtech yesterday, and the M1 iPad Pro beats it in every aspect. CPU Performance (by far), GPU performance (by far), sound quality, screen size, screen brightness, battery, pencil latency, accessories, ...

Even the screen quality, which totally shocked me because the Tab has OLED, was inferior to the MiniLED iPad Pro.

Basically the only thing it was better at was being thinner and lighter, and the webcam was placed at a better location and of equal quality.

The Tab 8’s all have 4 way speaker systems tuned by AKG, so the basic Tab 8 will sound better than its direct competition, the iPad Air 4th Gen which has stereo speakers. The Tab 8 Plus and Ultra will sound about equal to the IPP 11 and 12.9 which are competing tablets in terms of price, their equivalent screen sizes are also larger, so:

Tab 8: 11” so larger than 10.9 on the Air
Tab 8 Plus: 12.4” so larger than competing IPP 11
Tab 8 Ultra: 14.6” so larger than competing IPP 12.9

The OLED screen being inferior to the MiniLED in the 12.9 does not surprise me one bit, as ironically Apple calibrates Samsungs own OLED screens better than Samsung themselves as we have seen on the Iphones.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014

Hmm seems like you should try one of these tablets out for yourself. I will just say one thing, none of the several ipad displays can even compare to those new OLED screens on the samsung tablets (plus and ultra) this year or last years and that's the truth especially this years. I dont say things without actually being a user or experiencing the product myself. You should do the same. And the member you are calling a troll has been on this forum for quite a while and i respect his/her opinion.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Still can't see it. The cheapest S22 Ultra is $1,199.00. Zero chance anyone just took over over 50% of a brand new flagship phone in its first month of release without there being significantly more to the deal than is being spoken about.

Most likely the OP is not lying, Samsung gives huge deals on trade-ins. For instance, I had a s7 plus and traded that in and a pixel xl 4 to Samsung and only paid 99.99 for my galaxy tab S8 Plus when the preorders where still going on and even got a free keyboard case and free microsd card and a few other perks. Samsung is not Apple, yall are just not use to receiving any deals; i myself who has multiple apple products know that we dont get great deals on their devices and live with less features.

Reactions: aggie99 and koigirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.