Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Then why are you referring towards WWDC? They should at least give the people that like to use a hybrid device the possibility to just do that. It's still a weird technical decision. Since the iPad really doesn't need the M1 and could've have done easily with a lower specced chip, if that's their standpoint. They thought a couple years ago that the iPad shouldn't have keyboard and mouse support, and look what have happened. So if they decide to do that as well, in a couple of years, there is just no logical sense to just wait for it.
Personally I’m very disheartened with Apple lately, they could do so much with iPadOS and IOS in general. Why do we still not have multitasking and multi-window on iPhone?

The Tab S8 Ultra seems like a beast from what I’ve seen. The screen is an OLED, it comes with the SPen and it can multitask more than the iPad Pro. There is no excuse as to why Apple cant do this in 2022. The M1 chip inside my iPad Pro 2021, is faster than what’s inside the Tab S8 Ultra, yet it cant do the same things or be as good. My only conclusion is that for whatever reason, Apple is holding them back.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Then why are you referring towards WWDC? They should at least give the people that like to use a hybrid device the possibility to just do that. It's still a weird technical decision. Since the iPad really doesn't need the M1 and could've have done easily with a lower specced chip, if that's their standpoint. They thought a couple years ago that the iPad shouldn't have keyboard and mouse support, and look what have happened. So if they decide to do that as well, in a couple of years, then there is just no logical sense.

Because you used the word “never.” To pigeonhole iPadOS… saying it will never take advantage of M1, over time it might.

And I never realized Apple thought the iPad should not have keyboard support… they actually created a keyboard dock back in 2010.

226496f8fe0a5f643b46606757a45e65.jpg

Now mouse support is a different situation… same with stylus. It took Apple awhile to warm up the idea that mouse and stylus would be a good idea.

Reactions: sracer

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Now mouse support is a different situation… same with stylus. It took Apple awhile to warm up the idea that mouse and stylus would be a good idea.

Apple isn't the kind of company that cares about bringing new software and hardware features to their customers. They have their customers totally conditioned. They know a massive chunk of their customer base are blindly loyal to them. So they milk every dollar they can out of their customers, and their customers are happy to do so. I'm not making any judgements on Apple and their customer base, but you reap what you sow. Once a Corporation has its customer more than happy to be locked into its ecosystem, and over pay for it's product, then you get a Corporation that truly does what's in their best interest alone. Nothing new offered in hardware or software, until it's absolutely necessary. Because Apple know their customers are more than happy to make excuses for them. How often do we here from the Apple apologists, how Apple only releases things once it is perfected. Sure, lol. It is what it is. People have a freedom to buy whatever they want, but there's always a cost to being a blind loyalist to any company. That cost being, a company that has no motivation to bring anything beyond the absolute minimum to its customers. Just the thought of wanting as many products in your home from one corporation is cult mentality. Creepy af as well.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Because you used the word “never.” To pigeonhole iPadOS… saying it will never take advantage of M1, over time it might.

And I never realized Apple thought the iPad should not have keyboard support… they actually created a keyboard dock back in 2010.

No you're just making your own wrongly interpretation. That's not what I've ment with the word 'never'. I'm talking about the current state of iPadOS, which indeed doesn't fully utilize the power of the iPad in it's current state. And that's called facts and not pigeonholing as you say. The keyboard dock is also a great example on how Apple "logic" as you say, wasn't that logical after all. Back in the year 2010 it was very normal for other devices to support wireless keyboards. Apple thought to capitalise on this, by releasing their very own product as the only option on the iPad. They came back from that, and corrected that mistake. Same goes for removing usb support and adding them (after a few years) back again to their products.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
I got a confirmation for 23/2 delivery for s8 ultra 512gb. Last year i was so excited for m1 ipad and i was waiting for wwdc to announce macos for ipad to order one but... you know the story.

The only apple product / service that i'm keeping for now is airpods max - and since september i'm slowing replacing everything else.

Iphone 11 pro max -> Fold 3
ICloud -> Google one
Apple music -> Spotify
airprods pro -> sony wf-1000xm4
apple watch -> galaxy classic 4

and finally ipad pro 2018 12.9 -> s8 tab ultra.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
No you're just making your own wrongly interpretation. That's not what I've ment with the word 'never'. I'm talking about the current state of iPadOS, which indeed doesn't fully utilize the power of the iPad in it's current state. And that's called facts and not pigeonholing as you say.
Agree to disagree. No point in going back in forth, you said “never” and that’s the word I took issue with. This is an Tab S8 Ultra thread… I don’t wish to derail it any further. I’m happy for those who purchased it… I’m as they say, living vicariously through their experiences.

Reactions: aggie99

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I got a confirmation for 23/2 delivery for s8 ultra 512gb. Last year i was so excited for m1 ipad and i was waiting for wwdc to announce macos for ipad to order one but... you know the story.

The only apple product / service that i'm keeping for now is airpods max - and since september i'm slowing replacing everything else.

Iphone 11 pro max -> Fold 3
ICloud -> Google one
Apple music -> Spotify
airprods pro -> sony wf-1000xm4
apple watch -> galaxy classic 4

and finally ipad pro 2018 12.9 -> s8 tab ultra.

I’ve entered the Samsung ecosystem without even doing so on purpose

S22 ultra
Fold 3
Tab S8 ultra
Galaxy buds pro

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
lol don’t think I will have a use case for it.

Guess could be tempted to get a smart tag lol got a few air tags one for keys and my bag
Use case for the Samsung Freestyle? Have you been to the product page? It’s a lot of use cases for it from using it as a speaker, external battery and obviously a projector… it’s a dope product. Especially having it displayed on the ceiling.

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
So I was late to the game pre-ordering and as much as Samsung software leaves things to be desired and the SD Gen 1 chip not being up to the full task of the Samsung hardware at play here (kinda the reverse of Apple), I have a 256 Gig Ultra order in because it sounds like it could still be a monster (adding in a 400 GB sd card to augment storage). I don’t use that many specific apps so the sketchy app support shouldn’t be a problem.

But we’ll see. Mine isn’t shipping for a while. The Fold 3 and S21 Ultra were flawed enough software-wise I couldn’t keep them, but this thing should for fit the bill for as close to a laptop replacement as I could see getting in a tablet form factor. And the pre-order bonuses that Samsung offers are always unbeatable and a government discount slicing off a little more, I’m more than willing to check this out and see if it makes me forget about my 12.9 3rd Gen iPad Pro which has been spectacular for me. Just a little worried about the massive size but it will rarely (if ever) leave the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Just got shipping notification. Early for USA (way early, was the 28th). Will have it in 2 days.

I guess they copy Apple only so far :D

But they didn't ship the keyboard. I did order the cover and that's with this shipment.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
Anybody preorder from Best Buy and get shipping notice? At this point it's looking like mine won't arrive by release date even though they said it would when I ordered.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I pre-ordered that keyboard dock along with the iPad 1 on day-1 that pre-orders opened. It was a terrific peripheral. It offered a promised future that seems to be dragged kicking and screaming into existence. :)

I have to stop following this thread... My Galaxy Tab S6 w/keyboard cover has already replaced my iPad and netbook... and I told myself to hold out buying the Tab S8 Ultra until the Black Friday deals on Samsung's site... but the anecdotes being posted are making it difficult to wait.

rotflmao.gif

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
and I told myself to hold out buying the Tab S8 Ultra until the Black Friday deals on Samsung's site... but the anecdotes being posted are making it difficult to wait.

View attachment 1964335
I can definitely wait, especially when I can trade in a device that has little value for a massive upgrade with another freebie thrown in all for under $400. I felt, trading my S7+ from last years mega sale would have erased that deal. So i’ll wait and see what killer deals they offer later this year.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have actually decided to cancel my order.

I decided to order the 14 inch MacBook Pro instead. That said it does look like it looks good reviews from even apple channels.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have actually decided to cancel my order.

I decided to order the 14 inch MacBook Pro instead. That said it does look like it looks good reviews from even apple channels.
Wow! That was a curve ball... Why the MacBook Pro? I’m guessing Universal Control will be beneficial with your 12.9 inch iPP….

Reactions: The Game 161

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Dex capabilities set this apart for me. Wish I hadn’t bought new IPad Pro in December!

In all fairness you can get dex for a lot cheaper, a s6 tab lite has dex too and that’s 250 right now with a update to android 12.

I’d need a reason to spend that much on a tablet8it would either have to help with work or something else.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Wow! That was a curve ball... Why the MacBook Pro? I’m guessing Universal Control will be beneficial with your 12.9 inch iPP….

Ha you know me full a surprises ha

Universal control was something in my mind but also gives me the option for work with my spreadsheets better than on the ultra. and it to fit in my ecosystem. I plan to keep it a while. The tab s8 ultra keyboard was also an off put as it doesn’t look like it will fit on a lap and I would use the mac on my lap a fair amount.

Also can’t beat a real laptop. Now the mac has pro motion also helped my decision.

I’m not sure if to keep the 12.9 or downsize to 11 inch now I have a 14 inch laptop

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Ha you know me full a surprises ha

Universal control was something in my mind but also gives me the option for work with my spreadsheets better than on the ultra. and it to fit in my ecosystem. I plan to keep it a while. The tab s8 ultra keyboard was also an off put as it doesn’t look like it will fit on a lap and I would use the mac on my lap a fair amount.

Also can’t beat a real laptop. Now the mac has pro motion also helped my decision.

I’m not sure if to keep the 12.9 or downsize to 11 inch now I have a 14 inch laptop
Lol, I figured so. Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the Tab S8 Ultra keyboard as well... and now that I have the MK for the iPad. I believe it's the best idea for a keyboard case (imo). I'm kind of shocked Samsung didn't copy it given they have plenty of magnets on S8 Ultra.

Regardless of having the new MBP, I wouldn't downside if I were you. Especially now that you are accustomed to the Mini-LED screen and how apps look on it.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Lol, I figured so. Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the Tab S8 Ultra keyboard as well... and now that I have the MK for the iPad. I believe it's the best idea for a keyboard case (imo). I'm kind of shocked Samsung didn't copy it given they have plenty of magnets on S8 Ultra.

Regardless of having the new MBP, I wouldn't downside if I were you. Especially now that you are accustomed to the Mini-LED screen and how apps look on it.

True, I use my 12.9 on my indoor bike stand and watch stuff as I workout and I think I would miss the screen size. That said if apple release a 11 inch mini led this year I may swap it out will see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.