Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just bought an iPad air, and I have an older ipad pro 13.

Don't really use either of them.

Yet I am somehow talking myself into ordering one of these as well

I'm weird with tablets. I'll use them heavy for months, then they'll collect dust for months, then will be used heavy again. But somehow still have the obsession to upgrade at least once every two years.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
20DF3FDC-3DED-4FC3-8FCA-73B9957CF3CC.jpeg
The current offer I’m able to get through my perks at work. I’m tempted can’t lie ?

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ok I’ve ordered lol

delivery not until 20th march as i ordered the 512GB model. 128GB was available for launch day but ok to wait. Ordered in time to get the keyboard free. Certainly not spending another £350 for another keyboard case

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Ok I’ve ordered lol

delivery not until 20th march as i ordered the 512GB model. 128GB was available for launch day but ok to wait. Ordered in time to get the keyboard free. Certainly not spending another £350 for another keyboard case
Do they charge you’re card as soon as you order or later? For my S22 Ultra, they charged straight away upon preorder.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah take payment already although I think it’s just a hold until it’s dispatched
Yea it’s probably to make sure funds are in the account. Do you have any experience with claiming the free gifts? Is it easy and do a Samsung honour it or do they try and wriggle out of not sending them?

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yea it’s probably to make sure funds are in the account. Do you have any experience with claiming the free gifts? Is it easy and do a Samsung honour it or do they try and wriggle out of not sending them?

Very easy, I’ve already got the gifts from my fold 3 with galaxy watch free and also the starter kit. Just make sure your confirmation for the order screenshot is clear when you send it off via the website link

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Very easy, I’ve already got the gifts from my fold 3 with galaxy watch free and also the starter kit. Just make sure your confirmation for the order screenshot is clear when you send it off via the website link
Ok thanks, so they require a screenshot of the conformation email? for example the Tab S8 for the keyboard cover, the S22 Ultra for the free Buds Pro.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ok thanks, so they require a screenshot of the conformation email? for example the Tab S8 for the keyboard cover, the S22 Ultra for the free Buds Pro.

Yeah it’s normally just a confirmation of where you bought it, the model and it needs to have your name and address on it. Try and do it as soon as you get it as it can take up to 45 days to arrive

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
This device is incredible, incredible. People don't realise it, but it could replace a lot of office laptops. DEX is one of the best things Samsung has created. This S8 Ultra is a keeper. Now we only need better Snapdragon chips. I can see this tablet / laptop setup going to be released a lot more now with this kind of screens. Apple is weird tbh. The M1 is powerful but they only want to let people use the limited iPad OS.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
This device is incredible, incredible. People don't realise it, but it could replace a lot of office laptops. DEX is one of the best things Samsung has created. This S8 Ultra is a keeper. Now we only need better Snapdragon chips. I can see this tablet / laptop setup going to be released a lot more now with this kind of screens. Apple is weird tbh. The M1 is powerful but they only want to let people use the limited iPad OS.

Do you think it can replace the iPad Pro? I do like the fact that Samsung include the spen in the box and that its screen is better, especially for watching content.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Do you think it can replace the iPad Pro? I do like the fact that Samsung include the spen in the box and that its screen is better, especially for watching content.
For me it already did replaced the iPad Pro. I like the customisation and versatility of Android. And with DEX I can do anything on this thing that I could do on my office laptop.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
For me it already did replaced the iPad Pro. I like the customisation and versatility of Android. And with DEX I can do anything on this thing that I could do on my office laptop.

But what about apps, are they just enlarged phone apps? Ive seen in a few pictures that it looks like they have the same apps on there, Pen Up for example.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Ok I’ve ordered lol

Is it going to replace the iPP? Lol

But I'm curious... why go with the 512GB model? The 256GB model comes with 16GB RAM... and the Tab S8 Ultra has a micro expansion slot that allows for 1TB storage.

Apple is weird tbh. The M1 is powerful but they only want to let people use the limited iPad OS.
Apple is the most profitable company in the world, there is nothing weird about them... they know what they are doing.

And I definitely agree iPadOS is limited... same can be said about iOS. But one thing is clear.... iPad has better 3rd party app support compared to Android tablets. I believe the Tab S8 Ultra is an awesome device.... but unfortunately, it's not replacing my iPP.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Apple is the most profitable company in the world, there is nothing weird about them... they know what they are doing.

And I definitely agree iPadOS is limited... same can be said about iOS. But one thing is clear.... iPad has better 3rd party app support compared to Android tablets. I believe the Tab S8 Ultra is an awesome device.... but unfortunately, it's not replacing my iPP.
That doesn't matter how profitable they are. From a user standpoint you'll never utilities the full potential on the iPad Pro with that locked OS while having a great CPU. It's a choice they've made, but that doesn't mean people should not be critical about it.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Is it going to replace the iPP? Lol

But I'm curious... why go with the 512GB model? The 256GB model comes with 16GB RAM... and the Tab S8 Ultra has a micro expansion slot that allows for 1TB storage.

I will still keep my iPad Pro but will certainly be used as my media and general browsing device. Think I will use it basically with the folio cover and the ultra as my laptop.

I basically wanted more space built in. I’ve never tended to use SD cards.

Also where I bought mine from only the 128GB and 512Gb was available.

Only 512GB gives you 16GB according to the Samsung website

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That doesn't matter how profitable they are. From a user standpoint you'll never utilities the full potential on the iPad Pro with that locked OS while having a great CPU. It's a choice they've made, but that doesn't mean people should not be critical about it.
But to call them weird for limiting iPadOS... doesn't make much sense to me. I understand, it's important to be critical about the decision Apple makes. There's no defending them in regard to the status of iPadOS as of now, it should do more with M1 that's inside it. However, we are not privy to the roadmap of iPadOS... who knows what WWDC will bring this year or next.

Also where I bought mine from only the 128GB and 512Gb was available.

Only 512GB gives you 16GB according to the Samsung website
Most likely the 256GB is sold out. And that's not true... both 256GB and 512GB gives you 16GB RAM. Samsung is using the same pricing structure with S22 Ultra.... where you upgrade from the base model to get the additional RAM.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
But to call them weird for limiting iPadOS... doesn't make much sense to me. I understand, it's important to be critical about the decision Apple makes. There's no defending them in regard to the status of iPadOS as of now, it should do more with M1 that's inside it. However, we are not privy to the roadmap of iPadOS... who knows what WWDC will bring this year or next.
Well it does, since it's my opinion. I find it a weird and an unnecessary decision. And we all know deep inside this WWDC won't change that matter. They probably dont want their laptops being affected by that. Since then there would be less of a reason to buy a MacBook, if you could get the same experience on the iPad.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Most likely the 256GB is sold out. And that's not true... both 256GB and 512GB gives you 16GB RAM. Samsung is using the same pricing structure with S22 Ultra.... where you upgrade from the base model to get the additional RAM.

That’s certainly not the case in the UK. Only 512GB has 16GB of ram

b0ebc9136d36070e0050fb45c7eb6510.png

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well it does, since it's my opinion. I find it a weird and an unnecessary decision. And we all know deep inside this WWDC won't change that matter. They probably dont want their laptops being affected by that. Since then there would be less of a reason to buy a MacBook, if you could get the same experience on the iPad.
Lol, by that logic. It's not weird... and I was waiting for you to get to this point. It's a business decision for them to limit iPadOS... why accelerate the growth when there's macOS if you need that.

That’s certainly not the case in the UK. Only 512GB has 16GB of ram
My apologies. I was thinking of 12GB RAM, not 16GB RAM. S22 Ultra doesn't even provide 16GB RAM.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Lol, by that logic. It's not weird... and I was waiting for you to get to this point. It's a business decision for them to limit iPadOS... why accelerate the growth when there's macOS if you need that.

My apologies. I was thinking of 12GB RAM, not 16GB RAM. S22 Ultra doesn't even provide 16GB RAM.
Then why are you referring towards WWDC? They should at least give the people that like to use a hybrid device the possibility to just do that. It's still a weird technical decision. Since the iPad really doesn't need the M1 and could've have done easily with a lower specced chip, if that's their standpoint. They thought a couple years ago that the iPad shouldn't have keyboard and mouse support, and look what have happened. So if they decide to do that as well, in a couple of years, then there is just no logical sense.

Last edited:

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Well my 128GB S8 Ultra should be here Wednesday, but I'll be declining the delivery, as it's the quickest way to get a refund after missing the cancelation date. But I got in my order for the 256GB, for only $50 more, and should ship Mar.8. I've got patience, but damn, I wish I didn't make the mistake in my initial preorder.

Screenshot_20220220-082344_Samsung Internet.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.