Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This first review. I'm so happy that I've bought it :D.
I have the Tab A 7 and an iPad pro 11 last gen. As much as a I would love to see Android tablets beat the iPad...it just won't happen anytime soon. Then when it comes to support and accessories you just can't beat Apple customer support and retail locations. right now Android tablets just can't compete with the iPad for overall user experience.

• Sad
Reactions: rhinosrcool

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I have the Tab A 7 and an iPad pro 11 last gen. As much as a I would love to see Android tablets beat the iPad...it just won't happen anytime soon. Then when it comes to support and accessories you just can't beat Apple customer support and retail locations. right now Android tablets just can't compete with the iPad for overall user experience.
That's just your opinion. But I don't feel the same about it. I see them as two separate products which could exist besides each other. Android 12L doesn't need to beat iPadOS or visa versa. As long both products functions good it's us the customers that provides from it. The new Tab S8 range can easily compete. And I would always choose an OLED panel above LCD. You're also comparing a low budget Android tablet with the best Apple has to offer. Not a good comparison tbh.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That's just your opinion. But I don't feel the same about it. I see them as two separate products which could exist besides each other. Android 12L doesn't need to beat iPadOS or visa versa. As long both products functions good it's us the customers that provides from it. The new Tab S8 range can easily compete. And I would always choose an OLED panel above LCD. You're also comparing a low budget Android tablet with the best Apple has to offer. Not a good comparison tbh.
no they directly compete...even a low end entry level iPad beats Android tablets to be honest.
Android tablets can't compete with the user experience the iPad provides. Then if you combine the iPad and an iPhone and laptop the interoperability cannot be touched. Sorry but you cannot even begin to compare the products and how they compliment each other.
Then if there is a support issue Apple has retail locations to support their products.
Don't even get me started on accessories to combine and complement the user experience.

Don't get me wrong as an Aroid fan I WANT Android tablets to succeed. They might evolve as product line. But they are not there yet.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
no they directly compete...even a low end entry level iPad beats Android tablets to be honest.
Android tablets can't compete with the user experience the iPad provides. Then if you combine the iPad and an iPhone and laptop the interoperability cannot be touched. Sorry but you cannot even begin to compare the products and how they compliment each other.
Then if there is a support issue Apple has retail locations to support their products.
Don't even get me started on accessories to combine and complement the user experience.

Don't get me wrong as an Aroid fan I WANT Android tablets to succeed. They might evolve as product line. But they are not there yet.
My Tab S7 Plus is my best and favorite tablet. It beats my iPad Pro 12.9. They're both excellent tablets, though. In the future, I'll be getting the Tab S8 Ultra.?

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My Tab S7 Plus is my best and favorite tablet. It beats my iPad Pro 12.9. They're both excellent tablets, though. In the future, I'll be getting the Tab S8 Ultra.?
I am so very tempted to get the Tab 8+. It truly does look amazing! The Ultra just looks too big!

Reactions: koigirl

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
This first review. I'm so happy that I've bought it :D.

It's gonna be one helluva experience using that 14.6 inch OLED beast. Imagine a world where it's only one OEM that dictated what we had available to buy. We'd all still be stuck on small displays for our phones and tablets. Big screen phones only exist because Samsung made the Note line totally usable, and kept developing it to what we see today. When it was first introduced, the reaction from the so called know-it-all tech reviewers, was immidiate mockery. To this day, no other OEM makes use of the big display like the Note line. Now we have the same thing happening with tablets. Not a doubt in my mind Apple will introduce a bigger display in reaction to the success of the S8 Ultra. And that's totally OK. It shouldn't be an Samsung Vs Apple thing. But credit should be given to OEMs who take risks, and push the boundaries of the industry. Life's to short to wait on any OEM, out of blind loyalty, to offer new products and form factors of the tech we love. I wanted a usable foldable, the first Fold and Flip, didn't do that for me. But, the Fold 3 and Flip 3 got there.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's gonna be one helluva experience using that 14.6 inch OLED beast. Imagine a world where it's only one OEM that dictated what we had available to buy. We'd all still be stuck on small displays for our phones and tablets. Big screen phones only exist because Samsung made the Note line totally usable, and kept developing it to what we see today. When it was first introduced, the reaction from the so called know-it-all tech reviewers, was immidiate mockery. To this day, no other OEM makes use of the big display like the Note line. Now we have the same thing happening with tablets. Not a doubt in my mind Apple will introduce a bigger display in reaction to the success of the S8 Ultra. And that's totally OK. It shouldn't be an Samsung Vs Apple thing. But credit should be given to OEMs who take risks, and push the boundaries of the industry. Life's to short to wait on any OEM, out of blind loyalty, to offer new products and form factors of the tech we love. I wanted a usable foldable, the first Fold and Flip, didn't do that for me. But, the Fold 3 and Flip 3 got there.
You are totally right. I think Samsung innovates and pushes the envelope so to speak more than any other company in the smartphone space. Look at what they are doing with foldables!! Look at the Note line and the S-pen! No other company is near them with the Note line.

Apologies for taking this thread off topic.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
...but the Tab S8 Ultra looks awesome...
It does but for someone like myself who recently purchased a Galaxy Tab S7+, I have reservations about owning something even bigger. I also question the decision about incorporating the Notch as some of the reviews I have seen on YT suggest that with the size of the bezels. It may not have been necessary. Also some of the reviews also suggest that with the larger display, the resoultion is not as sharp as it is with the S8+.

However I do agree that the tablet is a looker and it’s no surprise because so is the S7+

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
How did Samsung manage to increase the screen size yet the battery remained almost the same? SoC efficiency and LTPO? S7+ is a nice 2nd screen companion device but it really needs a full desktop browser with extensions so it can be used as a primary device.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
How did Samsung manage to increase the screen size yet the battery remained almost the same? SoC efficiency and LTPO? S7+ is a nice 2nd screen companion device but it really needs a full desktop browser with extensions so it can be used as a primary device.
Battery life rating is what they advertised and may not be what you get in real life. Tab S7+ battery life isn't that good, just 7-8 hours compared to Tab S7's 10-12 hours.

There are so called full desktop browsers with extensions on Android.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
You are totally right. I think Samsung innovates and pushes the envelope so to speak more than any other company in the smartphone space. Look at what they are doing with foldables!! Look at the Note line and the S-pen! No other company is near them with the Note line.

Apologies for taking this thread off topic.
and in the laptop space it's Apple.

Best innovation in each category by company:

Smartphone: Samsung, no question so far.

Tablet: Samsung/Apple. Depends Android as OS is better than iPadOS due it having more functionality but iPad's have better apps and WAY better .

Laptop: Apple, M1 series MacBooks are awesome. Great battery life, great thermals and same performance unplugged or plugged.

desktop: AMD but Intel is close.

Server: AMD.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
At that point why not just get a Surface Pro 8. It comes with a desktop OS.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007

I've used countless iPads and Android tablets.

I would use "different" to compare the user experience rather than which is "better". I can come up with a long list of pros and cons for each OS.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I've used countless iPads and Android tablets.

I would use "different" to compare the user experience rather than which is "better". I can come up with a long list of pros and cons for each OS.
I think we can all come up with that list to be honest...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
...but the Tab S8 Ultra looks awesome...
I was able to check one out at BestBuy today. Wow that is one really nice tablet! So fast and responsive. I was impressed with the keyboard accessory! Then it was big enough to be a laptop replacement.
I want to get some reviews when it gets released tot the public. But I might end up getting one pf these!

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I got the book keyboard as a freebie.
The Tab S8 and S8 plus only came with the basic keyboard cover. it's a $500NZ accessory here.

I would have got the S8 plus if it had the book keyboard cover.

The illuminated keys are just too handy.

I'm kinda glad I got the ultra now, I got the base 8GB/128GB as my use requires nothing more than that, videos and browsing and comics.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to my S8 ultra more than S22 ultra,
I'm very excited to have a bigger screen.

Last edited:

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
yea I am avid apple user but I always keep an android tablet as well (currently the S7+). I have that as a trade in for the 8U which I ordered with in the first 30 min. it says I am supposed to get it next Friday so let me know what you want to see when I get it.

I have a IPP 12.9 as well

like others have said some BB have them to look at as well.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Nice device, sadly it won’t be supported over a longer period.
Well, at least the support period increased to 3-4 years now, it should be at least 6 years for major updates and 8 years for monthly security updates.

What I also dislike (correct me if i’m wrong) is that they somehow delay major updates of >1 year old devices, i think to promote their newly released devices.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
I got the book keyboard as a freebie.
The Tab S8 and S8 plus only came with the basic keyboard cover. it's a $500NZ accessory here.

I would have got the S8 plus if it had the book keyboard cover.

The illuminated keys are just too handy.

I'm kinda glad I got the ultra now, I got the base 8GB/128GB as my use requires nothing more than that, videos and browsing and comics.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to my S8 ultra more than S22 ultra,
I'm very excited to have a bigger screen.
same. I'm excited about the S22 Ultra but using the S21 Ultra now and I don't anticipate the experience being too much different. While I'm excited to have more of a Note style device, I don't see it as a huge upgrade over the S21U.

The Tab S8 Ultra is unlike any device I've had. I do have a 12.9 iPad Pro, but, meh, I just don't care for iPad OS. It doesn't take advantage of a large screen like the Tab S8 Ultra does. One thing I do love about the iPad Pro 12.9 is that battery goes on forever. I use it everyday for work and media consumption when traveling on the plane or in the hotel. I'll be on an 8 hour flight from Dallas to Maui the week after I get the Tab S8 Ultra. Looking forward to trying it out on the long flight. I'll have the iPad Pro with me as well to compare.

Reactions: Klyster

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
There are so called full desktop browsers with extensions on Android.

I use Firefox on Linux and while the Android version has some extensions the browser is not up to par with full desktop browser. It's also reporting its user agent as a mobile browser even in quasi desktop mode so it's at the mercy of the server end if it decides to serve the mobile web version.

At that point why not just get a Surface Pro 8. It comes with a desktop OS.

It's a 2nd screen side sick for Surface Pro X that does have full desktop browser but would like to see the bar raised for Android/iPadOS tablets to also have full desktop browser.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.