Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Nah not true. Facebook is almost the same but twitter does looks better on the iPad if you use the landscape mode (which I rarely do beside watching streams). On the other hand Instagram looks plain awful on the iPad. Also how much time do you spend inside an app. Most time consuming happens while you are browsing on the net and watching streams.

It's really overblown. This comparison also shows it. I actually prefer Android more.

Ymmv but I use my tablet in landscape almost 100% of the time.

And what do you mean “how much time do you spend inside an app”? Ugh, almost all of it. If you are browsing or streaming, you are using an app.

We can agree to disagree on app quality between the two systems. Let’s just return this to tab s8 talk. I don’t want to derail it for those excited about their new tablets.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I‘m curious to know when you guys finally receive your tablets, what you guys think of the “Notch”?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Second Screen on my S7 plus with windows works much better than my iPad's Sidecar with MacOS. Especially with pen support.

For that reason alone, I'm thinking about trading my S7 plus for the S8 Ultra. Would have done so already, but it's sold out.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Canadian prices truly suck, but whatever. If this was priced at $2K, I'd still take it. Truly nothing like it. The freebies soften the blow. Should be here by the end of the month. I absolutely love the size. All I need this thing to do is stream media/browse the net, and run Office, just like the overwhelming majority of users. It's all about that display. Android 12L should be good, but Samsung's own OneUI has done more for it's Android tablets, than Google ever has.

Screenshot_20220210-134734_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: eekram and Klyster

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Ymmv but I use my tablet in landscape almost 100% of the time.

And what do you mean “how much time do you spend inside an app”? Ugh, almost all of it. If you are browsing or streaming, you are using an app.

We can agree to disagree on app quality between the two systems. Let’s just return this to tab s8 talk. I don’t want to derail it for those excited about their new tablets.
I don't see browsing on the internet as app usage but you're right on that. Chrome or the Samsung browser are officially apps. But anyway more content visible with the Samsung aspect ratio ;). But yeah let's agree to disagree.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Canadian prices truly suck, but whatever. If this was priced at $2K, I'd still take it. Truly nothing like it. The freebies soften the blow. Should be here by the end of the month. I absolutely love the size. All I need this thing to do is stream media/browse the net, and run Office, just like the overwhelming majority of users. It's all about that display. Android 12L should be good, but Samsung's own OneUI has done more for it's Android tablets, than Google ever has.

View attachment 1957729
Nice, yeah but expensive over there. I think the US (because of the discounts) and Europe got the best prices. Without adding additional trade-ins they've giving me €223 discount. I rather sell my product on the net (as I did) and got for a old Huawei Matepad Pro €300 euro for it. So the upgrade cost me in total €626. Apple would never let you do that.

Reactions: Zito Abroad

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Notch on the tab still looks better than the Notch on the mac. That said still not a big fan of them on bigger devices
The notch is on the sides in portrait mode. The best place to have. It won't bother me as an mostly portrait oriented user.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
It's going really well for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 and Ultra.

"We are thrilled by the consumer response to our new Galaxy Tab S8 lineup. Due to the overwhelming demand in the last 48 hours, we will be pausing preorders at Samsung.com for the Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra and the Galaxy Tab S8. We are working quickly to meet customer excitement and demand. Please stay tuned for more updates"

Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra overwhelming in demand

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
It's going really well for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 and Ultra.

"We are thrilled by the consumer response to our new Galaxy Tab S8 lineup. Due to the overwhelming demand in the last 48 hours, we will be pausing preorders at Samsung.com for the Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra and the Galaxy Tab S8. We are working quickly to meet customer excitement and demand. Please stay tuned for more updates"

Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra overwhelming in demand

Not surprised. The reaction from a lot of YouTubers first reaction videos, reminded me of their first impressions of the Note line. Calling it too big. The 14.6 inch size made total sense to me, the second I heard the rumors. The iPad's app advantage is way overblown. I have no doubt most People will only be consuming media, and browsing, with some use of MS Office or another productivity app, and video chats. That's it. Hoping my pre-order isn't delayed.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm more interested to see what Samsung and Android 12L can do from a software standpoint. I have the S7 Plus and while its been great for the most part, software is still not where it needs to be and 3rd party apps need optimization. Hopefully Samsung and Google can start getting more people on board. For example, Netflix quality is poor. It typically takes 5-10 minutes to finally start playing in high resolution if it does at all. Its not a internet connection issue and theres no options to force it, its just bad software.
I been thinking about Android 12L and Samsung Galaxy devices... I think Android 12L is more for Google efforts than Samsungs. I been following the betas for Lenovo recent tablet and Android 12L is benefiting Google. Samsung has already built a foundation of tablet optimization based on OneUI and I honestly don't know how Android 12L will add to it.

If anything, I don't know the behind-the-scenes code that will help developers.... it might be an aspect where developers find it much easier to build for a tablet support going forward on Android 12L.

I've been using ipadOS a while now. But it is being overblown. The most apps that are being iPad made are mostly focused on editing. Anyway even the apps are not that important on tablets. When you really look in to the user case of tablet users it's always browsing and streaming. In comparison people don't spend that much inside apps (excepts gaming) actually. Back to the S8 Ultra, it looks stunning.
I've been an iPadOS user since the beginning and the App Store for iPad is playing on different level far from Android tablet apps. I understand that tablets are geared toward browsing and streaming, but when it comes to apps... polish and quality plays a huge part for tablet apps.

It's the old age debate of iPhone apps vs Android apps.... when comparing the two, iPhone apps are more polished. And I enjoy Android over iOS, but I'm being objective here. The fact that Google is deciding to push out an update focusing on tablet support tells you that they are behind in this area. The S8 Ultra definitely looks stunning, but when it comes to iPad apps.... it's a whole different ball game.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I been thinking about Android 12L and Samsung Galaxy devices... I think Android 12L is more for Google efforts than Samsungs. I been following the betas for Lenovo recent tablet and Android 12L is benefiting Google. Samsung has already built a foundation of tablet optimization based on OneUI and I honestly don't know how Android 12L will add to it.

If anything, I don't know the behind-the-scenes code that will help developers.... it might be an aspect where developers find it much easier to build for a tablet support going forward on Android 12L.

I've been an iPadOS user since the beginning and the App Store for iPad is playing on different level far from Android tablet apps. I understand that tablets are geared toward browsing and streaming, but when it comes to apps... polish and quality plays a huge part for tablet apps.

It's the old age debate of iPhone apps vs Android apps.... when comparing the two, iPhone apps are more polished. And I enjoy Android over iOS, but I'm being objective here. The fact that Google is deciding to push out an update focusing on tablet support tells you that they are behind in this area. The S8 Ultra definitely looks stunning, but when it comes to iPad apps.... it's a whole different ball game.
I don't see it like that and I've used ipadOS for a while now and in my case it's not that big of a leap apart. It's decent. But this kind of things never can be viewed objective. People will always have their subjective arguments and opinions. What I don't get is the notch. After reviewing it closely it wasn't needed. The bezels still have space to hide it on them.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
First comparison with the iPad Pro 12.9. Lol this thing is huge. A lot of people will be shocked when their package gets delivered. Can't wait.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Damn what a difference and 12.9 seems too big without a keyboard
I really liking it. Full desktop browsing at midnight in bed or watching Netflix on it while the wife is sleeping. This thing is just a laptop without the keyboard attached :).

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This is replacing my laptop. Exactly what I've been wanting. Also, the 14.6 inch size is nothing to me, as my Galaxy View is 18.4 inches. Lol
What is your current laptop? And I forgot about that Galaxy View… imagine if that’s gets updated to modern specs.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm looking forward to the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on the Tab S8 Ultra. If history is any indication, they'll be close to 40-50% off before any trade-ins.

My Tab S6 w/book cover keyboard continues to be a beastly tablet... the S8 Ultra is going to be insane.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I've never seen the S7+ below €650. So that estimate of 40-50% is just a bit to much ;). Actually I don't see it going for below €900 on black Friday. The days Samsung tablets lost that much value is long gone.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'm looking forward to the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on the Tab S8 Ultra. If history is any indication, they'll be close to 40-50% off before any trade-ins.

My Tab S6 w/book cover keyboard continues to be a beastly tablet... the S8 Ultra is going to be insane.
Same here, last BF I scored a S7+ with a pair of Galaxy Buds 2 for $376 after trading in a worthless Galaxy Tab S2 that was probably worth $5 at best. I thought about trading in the S7+ towards a Galaxy S8+ but then it would have cost me $299 and I would have lost my crazy deal last year.

I'll wait till BF and see what they are having crazy deals on the S8 Ultra.

Reactions: sracer

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
What is your current laptop? And I forgot about that Galaxy View… imagine if that’s gets updated to modern specs.

There's nothing quite like the Galaxy View for media consumption. I take it in the basement, the garage, the back deck, etc...and I'll still use it for those things. It's not very bright, so if you take it on a deck, it has to be a deck with sun cover. But when it comes to mobility in the main area of the house and beyond the house, It's gonna be all S8 Ultra. My laptop is an older Notebook9, which I already gave away as a hand me down. I bought it used a couple of years ago from a coworker, and really didn't use it much, except for personal related stuff, which I mostly was doing on my desktop anyway, and I also had a work lap top for anything work related.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.