Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Because the 142.0.0.0.0 BootROM is temporarily bricking my cMP. And I am waiting for my E5530 to fix it.

I am now fully with my Hackintosh in the last few days. Which also makes me spend some time to fix quite a few pending issues.

And now, apart from I haven't install BT 4.0 / WiFi ac card into my Hackintosh. Everything works as expected literally.

USB port mapping done
Clover updated
Some depreciated setting in Clover config removed
All kext updated
Depreciated kext removed
QuickSync Enabled

This build is 100% stable, and all iCloud functions work.

This time I can easily fix my cMP by installing a E5530 and revert the BootROM, which only cost me $1.2. So, I will keep the cMP as primary computer. And let the 1080Ti stay in my Hackintosh which allow me do some better gaming in Windows.

But if the cMP really die later. I know that I can switch to my Hackintosh in no time. By that time, most likely I will move my PULSE RX580 into the Hackintosh, and let the Hackintosh run Mojave.

Once again, thanks pastrychef for providing all the info. In fact, I just keep reading your updates (in the tonymacx86 post), follow that path to update and clean up everything. Which save me lots of time. Thanks!

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
TheStork, may I ask you some questions about Clover boot arguments?

This are all the kexts I have in EFI/Clover/kexts/Others
Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 19.15.48.png

And this are my boot arguments
Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 19.16.46.png

Am I correct that "-igfxbeta", "shikigva=60" and "-ngfxbeta" has no function now and should be removed? Because IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, Shiki.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext are all removed (integrated into the WhateverGreen)

Million thanks in advance!

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008

View attachment 825831

View attachment 825832

Am I correct that "-igfxbeta", "shikigva=60" and "-ngfxbeta" has no function now and should be removed? Because IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, Shiki.kext, NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext are all removed (integrated into the WhateverGreen)

I don't have any kexts in /EFI/Clover/kexts/others/. All of my "hackintosh" kexts are in the /Library/Extensions/ as that's where MultiBeast puts them in accordance with Apple's policy. I've never had a problem with putting the kexts in
/Library/Extensions/. However, I've never booted into Recovery, either. Some users have stated that the FakeSMC should be in .../others/ for that purpose as booting Recovery doesn't use /Library/Extensions/ kexts.

I don't use those boot arguments as you have stated the newer WhateverGreen takes care of the problems those boot args are support to correct.

I'm using the latest (as of late February) versions of Luli, WhateverGreen, AppleALC, etc.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I don't have any kexts in /EFI/Clover/kexts/others/. All of my "hackintosh" kexts are in the /Library/Extensions/ as that's where MultiBeast puts them in accordance with Apple's policy. I've never had a problem with putting the kexts in
/Library/Extensions/. However, I've never booted into Recovery, either. Some users have stated that the FakeSMC should be in .../others/ for that purpose as booting Recovery doesn't use /Library/Extensions/ kexts.

I don't use those boot arguments as you have stated the newer WhateverGreen takes care of the problems those boot args are support to correct.

I'm using the latest (as of late February) versions of Luli, WhateverGreen, AppleALC, etc.

I see. Thank's for the reply. I am so new to Hackintosh, so much to learn.

My Hackintosh is working perfectly now. May be I just keep the boot argument in place. Better not to fix anything that working properly.

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
I see. Thank's for the reply. I am so new to Hackintosh, so much to learn.

My Hackintosh is working perfectly now. May be I just keep the boot argument in place. Better not to fix anything that working properly.
Yep. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY

View attachment 825831

View attachment 825832

Yes, I think they -igfxbeta and -ngfxbeta can be removed. The shikigva= flag is still valid. Also, you can try shikigva=1 to see if it helps enable iTunes DRM content.

Also, as far as I know, IntelGraphicsDVMTffixup.kext has been bundled in with WhateverGreen.lext now, so you can remove that foo.

Check IORegistryExplorer to make sure it only sees 15 USB ports or less. USB 3.1 gen 2 ports are not included in the 15 port limit.

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia

If you want to test it some more and see if you have some unnecessary flags and patches, you can always make bootable Clover USB with your working EFI/Clover copied over and then go nuts :D
If something bad happens just use USB to boot into OS X installation and then undo thing that just bricked it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If you want to test it some more and see if you have some unnecessary flags and patches, you can always make bootable Clover USB with your working EFI/Clover copied over and then go nuts :D
If something bad happens just use USB to boot into OS X installation and then undo thing that just bricked it.

Good point, I completely forget about this (apparent due to I stick with cMP for too long, haha).

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
I completely forget about this (apparent due to I stick with cMP for too long, haha).
You're much more in the story now, since i've had my last hackintosh almost four years ago.
Cannot remember if ti was Yosemite or El Capitan...
But as soon as i saw your post i remembered that i always had USB with cloned working EFI, just in case.
And it saved me hours when messing with the configs and kexts.

P.S. That's why i think it is a little bit safer to have all the kexts in EFI rather in Library/Extensions.
Much easier to fix things and no need to rebuild caches etc... (forgive me if something changed in that regard in last couple years).

Reactions: h9826790

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, I think they -igfxbeta and -ngfxbeta can be removed. The shikigva= flag is still valid. Also, you can try shikigva=1 to see if it helps enable iTunes DRM content.

Also, as far as I know, IntelGraphicsDVMTffixup.kext has been bundled in with WhateverGreen.lext now, so you can remove that foo.

Check IORegistryExplorer to make sure it only sees 15 USB ports or less. USB 3.1 gen 2 ports are not included in the 15 port limit.

Thanks for the reply. Will try that.

I have a safe master copy of Clover EFI folder on the Windows EFI partition anyway. So, should be very safe to mess around the macOS EFI partition's Clover :D

Yeah, I finished the ports mapping yesterday. And now only has 15 ports (not including USB 3.1 gen 2 ports). SS07 is redundant to me at this moment. But later on should be use for the wifi / bt card.
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 04.00.42.png

[doublepost=1552335540][/doublepost]I am back with the -igfxbeta and -ngfxbeta removed, and shikigva=1.

Boots fine, everything still works.

However, I don't have any movie in the iTunes library. I can play the trailer. Not sure if that's DRM protected. But as per others report. shikigva=1 breaks H264 hardware Accel support.
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 04.18.44.png

[doublepost=1552336346][/doublepost]Just found that I have few free movies in the iTunes library.

And can't play them with both shikigva=1 or shikigva=60.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Thanks for the reply. Will try that.

I have a safe master copy of Clover EFI folder on the Windows EFI partition anyway. So, should be very safe to mess around the macOS EFI partition's Clover :D

Yeah, I finished the ports mapping yesterday. And now only has 15 ports (not including USB 3.1 gen 2 ports). SS07 is redundant to me at this moment. But later on should be use for the wifi / bt card.
View attachment 825928
[doublepost=1552335540][/doublepost]I am back with the -igfxbeta and -ngfxbeta removed, and shikigva=1.

Boots fine, everything still works.

However, I don't have any movie in the iTunes library. I can play the trailer. Not sure if that's DRM protected. But as per others report. shikigva=1 breaks H264 hardware Accel support.
View attachment 825930
[doublepost=1552336346][/doublepost]Just found that I have few free movies in the iTunes library.

And can't play them with both shikigva=1 or shikigva=60.

Yes, always keep a USB flash drive with working EFI on it. Also, I have written instructions on how to keep just one single USB flash drive with working EFI for multiple hackintoshes in this post.

Please try shikigva=61 to see if it enables iTunes DRM and H264 + HEVC.

I have been using shikigva=1 and iTunes DRM and H264 + HEVC all work. But I don't know why everyone seems to have different results with the shikigva= setting.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, always keep a USB flash drive with working EFI on it. Also, I have written instructions on how to keep just one single USB flash drive with working EFI for multiple hackintoshes in this post.

Please try shikigva=61 to see if it enables iTunes DRM and H264 + HEVC.

I have been using shikigva=1 and iTunes DRM and H264 + HEVC all work. But I don't know why everyone seems to have different results with the shikigva= setting.

Tested, same as shikigva=1 in my case. H264 broken + no iTunes DRM.

May be different hardware (e.g. different dGPU), and different OS version (I am still with 10.13.6 due to 1080Ti), etc make the difference.

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Tested, same as shikigva=1 in my case. H264 broken + no iTunes DRM.

May be different hardware (e.g. different dGPU), and different OS version (I am still with 10.13.6 due to 1080Ti), etc make the difference.

Maybe... I haven't tested on High Sierra or Nvidia. I sold my GTX 1080 to get my Vega 56...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just make a quick test. Which doesn't mean much, but more for fun.

I reboot my Hackintosh to Mojave (the primary boot drive that from my Mac Pro), it boot to the desktop without any issue (with correct Clover EFI folder, this Hackintosh is really just like a cMP, which is really great). Monitor connected to the 1080Ti, EFI able to drive my 3840x1080 monitor properly.
Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 7.26.36 AM.png

Of course, without web driver, no proper acceleration available, but iStat can still see both GPUs. And Airplay still available. However, iTunes video still can't be played under this config.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Just make a quick test. Which doesn't mean much, but more for fun.

I reboot my Hackintosh to Mojave (the primary boot drive that from my Mac Pro), it boot to the desktop without any issue (with correct Clover EFI folder, this Hackintosh is really just like a cMP, which is really great). Monitor connected to the 1080Ti, EFI able to drive my 3840x1080 monitor properly.
View attachment 826090

Of course, without web driver, no proper acceleration available, but iStat can still see both GPUs. And Airplay still available. However, iTunes video still can't be played under this config.

Yes, that's one of the advantages to keeping all your hackintosh files in the EFI folder (it also allows you to enable SIP). You can pull system drives from real Macs and boot from them on your hack. I've done this plenty of times.

As much as I loved my MacPro5,1, I honestly love my current hack much more. It runs circles around my old 5,1, runs much cooler, and consumes much less power. It's the best Mac I've ever owned.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, that's one of the advantages to keeping all your hackintosh files in the EFI folder (it also allows you to enable SIP). You can pull system drives from real Macs and boot from them on your hack. I've done this plenty of times.

As much as I loved my MacPro5,1, I honestly love my current hack much more. It runs circles around my old 5,1, runs much cooler, and consumes much less power. It's the best Mac I've ever owned.

This is exactly what I feel now.

The cMP is good, but not that ideal nowadays. e.g. No UEFI GOP, no BIOS to OC the CPU, no native m.2 slot, no native SATA 3, no native wifi ac...... We can "fix" most of the issue by using PCIe slots. But eventually still limited by the old architecture. And something like GPU hardware decode / encode, full Thunderbolt support, etc, still has no fix on cMP.

With the same amount (or even less) of money, I can now build whatever I want. Has better support in both Windows and cMP, and with much higher flexibility on the upgrade path.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
This is exactly what I feel now.

The cMP is good, but not that ideal nowadays. e.g. No UEFI GOP, no BIOS to OC the CPU, no native m.2 slot, no native SATA 3, no native wifi ac...... We can "fix" most of the issue by using PCIe slots. But eventually still limited by the old architecture. And something like GPU hardware decode / encode, full Thunderbolt support, etc, still has no fix on cMP.

With the same amount (or even less) of money, I can now build whatever I want. Has better support in both Windows and cMP, and with much higher flexibility on the upgrade path.

As I've said before, by the time a user brings one of the old Mac Pros up to date with USB 3, M.2, and SATA 3, he/she is out of PCI-e slots.

In my opinion, it's insanity for those even considering purchasing one of those old Mac Pros now. It's decade old tech and it shows. Those who knock hackintoshes have probably not used one or, at least, not recently.

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
Because the 142.0.0.0.0 BootROM is temporarily bricking my cMP. And I am waiting for my E5530 to fix it.

I am now fully with my Hackintosh in the last few days. Which also makes me spend some time to fix quite a few pending issues.

And now, apart from I haven't install BT 4.0 / WiFi ac card into my Hackintosh. Everything works as expected literally.

USB port mapping done
Clover updated
Some depreciated setting in Clover config removed
All kext updated
Depreciated kext removed
QuickSync Enabled

This build is 100% stable, and all iCloud functions work.

This time I can easily fix my cMP by installing a E5530 and revert the BootROM, which only cost me $1.2. So, I will keep the cMP as primary computer. And let the 1080Ti stay in my Hackintosh which allow me do some better gaming in Windows.

But if the cMP really die later. I know that I can switch to my Hackintosh in no time. By that time, most likely I will move my PULSE RX580 into the Hackintosh, and let the Hackintosh run Mojave.

Once again, thanks pastrychef for providing all the info. In fact, I just keep reading your updates (in the tonymacx86 post), follow that path to update and clean up everything. Which save me lots of time. Thanks!

Good day
Hi Pastrychef,

My cMP just dead (power ON, fan spin, no screen with Mac EFI 7950, no “don”, can’t PRAM reset...). Rather than diagnosis and fix it, I plan to switch to Hackintosh. If I understand correctly, I can setup the Hackintosh, and simply transfer my existing working High Sierra SSD to there then boot. No need to reinstall every again, right?

I have a few question want to ask after studying on tonymacx86. Since I know that you switched from cMP to HS with greate success. I hope you don’t mind to provide me some extra guidance. I wish to ask at here rather than PM, so all others can benefit from the discussion. And I would like to thank for providing such a good guide to me. I plan to follow your guide.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...wi-fi-ac-build-w-i7-8700k-amd-vega-56.239969/

Before we go deeper. The very first question I want to ask is if your build can take a 32cm long graphic card? (Update: found the answer. This case can take up to 34cm card, good for my 1080Ti)

My PNY XLR8 1080Ti is pretty long. And I don’t want to go for another GPU at this moment yet. (I know about the recent web driver issue. But it seems Nvidia fixed that in the latest release).

If this doesn’t work, then I need to get another case, or even another mother board. Million thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot for making this on the forum, it's one great learning experience that will benefit many people. I am one of those. Ever since your help in helping me moving from an old Mac Mini to an old Mac Pro, I have been very pleased with the quality discussion in this forum. Recently I upgrade to M2.NVME and Mojave 10.14.4, really fly. But my itchy hands told me that some time in the future, I will have to move on to the Hackintosh path. This is a great mocking exercise and seeing two great minds interact.

Many thanks to you and pastrychef!

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
To be very honest, I find installing macOS on a hackintosh much easier than installing Windows.

This is an interesting comment, I was reading h9826790's notes on installing Windows without Boot Screen. It kind of drive me crazy..... I have no real need for running Windows, but just curious how much "progress" that Winblow may have made...... but to be honest with you, my Mac Pro is still out of luck with Winblows.

patrychef's comment on installing Windows vs Hackintosh is certainly very encouraging!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Found a full DSDT patch for my Asus Maximus X Hero (Wifi ac) in Olarila, feeling the Hackintosh is more complete now :D
Full DSDT.png

And I also confirmed that the optical output is working flawlessly.

Last edited:

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Found a full DSDT patch for my Asus Maximus X Hero (Wifi ac) in Olarila, feeling the Hackintosh is more complete now :D
View attachment 833584
MaLd0n, site admin @Olarila, is a great and very helpful guy.
Looks like he is solely responsible for 90% of working DSDT’s at InsanelyMac and around the world :D
You could contact him directly through InsMac to fix your DSDT if you have any more doubts.
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...-maximus-x-hero-i7-8700k-post-install/?page=2
You could also use his app for a full dump (olarila/files/utils/runme.app).

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
MaLd0n, site admin @Olarila, is a great and very helpful guy.
Looks like he is solely responsible for 90% of working DSDT’s at InsanelyMac and around the world :D
You could contact him directly through InsMac to fix your DSDT if you have any more doubts.
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...-maximus-x-hero-i7-8700k-post-install/?page=2
You could also use his app for a full dump (olarila/files/utils/runme.app).

In fact, I want to learn how to do that myself. My annual leave just started, now have some time to study about it :D. Any good link for tutorial?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.