Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Let’s Talk Termites
Moved to Texas in 2009, paid Terminex about $1200 if I remember correctly for a chemical mixed into the dirt, claimed to bond with the dirt and last approx 10 years, and I currently pay about $300 annually for inspections and a Terminex Warranty.

Is there a better way, more economical, but effective, that includes the home owner applying chemicals outside of the house around the foundation in the dirt, or on the concrete of the foundation? Looking forward to saving some money, if that is possible! :D

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
Let’s Talk Termites
Moved to Texas in 2009, paid Terminex about $1200 if I remember correctly for a chemical mixed into the dirt, claimed to bond with the dirt and last approx 10 years, and I currently pay about $300 annually for inspections and a Terminex Warranty.

Is there a better way, more economical, but effective, that includes the home owner applying chemicals outside of the house around the foundation in the dirt, or on the concrete of the foundation? Looking forward to saving some money, if that is possible! :D

I stocked up with diazinon several years ago, right before it was banned. I still have several gallons.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I stocked up with diazinon several years ago, right before it was banned. I still have several gallons.

How you deploy it? Do you spray it on the dirt by the foundation or directly on the foundation? I'm suspect there are other good chemicals out there that are still approved and would do the job.

The way the Terminex plan works, is after they put many gallons of whatever into the dirt around our house, it's supposed to be effective for like 10 years. So all they do is inspect, twice a year. Nothing new has been applied since the last application in 09.

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
How you deploy it? Do you spray it on the dirt by the foundation or directly on the foundation? I'm suspect there are other good chemicals out there that are still approved and would do the job.

The way the Terminex plan works, is after they put many gallons of whatever into the dirt around our house, it's supposed to be effective for like 10 years. So all they do is inspect, twice a year. Nothing new has been applied since the last application in 09.
I have conventional foundation. Every spring I mix it 50/50 with with water. After reminding my son this will be his someday, he sprays around the house and under it. I'm too damn old to be crawling around there.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Ummm usually a reason it’s not on the shelves any more but go for it in Texas.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Slabs aren't common out here, but I believe the foundation is drilled in various locations and stuff is pumped in. I base this post on a very old video of This Old House I saw years ago. YMMV.

The only time I've seen slab used en masse was upstate near and around the bay area and new construction dwellings by mass builders (think a whole community). It's cheaper than crawl spaces or basements, but harder to work with.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Because they charge a fortune for chemicals you can acquire for a much lower price. Their only worth is the bond they offer if an infestation post initial flood/spray is found. They pay out for damages so as long as you get a yearly inspection by them or a third party they approve of. Sometimes their employees do crappy jobs.

Personally I'd rather hire a local or smaller company known for quality work. I know people in contracting and whatnot who I can get the same chemicals from. It's gray area but oh well. I do a yearly inspection. I've been using grass granules that kill a lot of bugs in the backyard and the front yard. It's been years since I've seen a nasty bug in the house.

That said, they'll all drill into slab and flood it with chemicals. Though I don't think you can do that with new constructions since the slabs are much, much thicker.

Surprisingly, there's a lot of chem choices you can get here, Rhett. We're lucky. People in the North East are not, but then again, it's the North East. Hell in winter and summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Because they charge a fortune for chemicals you can acquire for a much lower price. Their only worth is the bond they offer if an infestation post initial flood/spray is found. They pay out for damages so as long as you get a yearly inspection by them or a third party they approve of. Sometimes their employees do crappy jobs.

Personally I'd rather hire a local or smaller company known for quality work. I know people in contracting and whatnot who I can get the same chemicals from. It's gray area but oh well. I do a yearly inspection. I've been using grass granules that kill a lot of bugs in the backyard and the front yard. It's been years since I've seen a nasty bug in the house.

That said, they'll all drill into slab and flood it with chemicals. Though I don't think you can do that with new constructions since the slabs are much, much thicker.

Surprisingly, there's a lot of chem choices you can get here, Rhett. We're lucky. People in the North East are not, but then again, it's the North East. Hell in winter and summer.

I am glad I asked, because I was looking to get something re: spiders and we are seeing a lot of them right now. They had a special going on, for three months for $99. They would come out once a month. Looks like I will take a better look at some other companies in the area. I have actually looked at some of the big box stores and thought about doing it myself. Especially since most come with a nozzle/sprayer.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I am glad I asked, because I was looking to get something re: spiders and we are seeing a lot of them right now. They had a special going on, for three months for $99. They would come out once a month. Looks like I will take a better look at some other companies in the area. I have actually looked at some of the big box stores and thought about doing it myself. Especially since most come with a nozzle/sprayer.
You're in the valley, right? And just spiders? Bud, save your money and go with Spectracide products. Lowes runs specials on their big gallon containers with the built in sprayer. That stuff works for a year. I spray certain parts of the garage and yard and they don't come by at all. Nor do ants, crickets, grasshoppers, mice, anything. Just wear a respirator mask and safety glasses. You can buy 7 containers for $100. Don't get it on your skin either.

The granules for lawn use (a lot of companies make them) are great, as well. It's a night and day difference within a week of application. You can go from incessant chirping to nada.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
You're in the valley, right? And just spiders? Bud, save your money and go with Spectracide products. Lowes runs specials on their big gallon containers with the built in sprayer. That stuff works for a year. I spray certain parts of the garage and yard and they don't come by at all. Nor do ants, crickets, grasshoppers, mice, anything. Just wear a respirator mask and safety glasses. You can buy 7 containers for $100. Don't get it on your skin either.

The granules for lawn use (a lot of companies make them) are great, as well. It's a night and day difference within a week of application. You can go from incessant chirping to nada.

Actually in Long Beach... and thank you for the recommendations!!!

Mainly spiders right now, haven't had an issue with ants (knocks on wood).

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Actually in Long Beach... and thank you for the recommendations!!!

Mainly spiders right now, haven't had an issue with ants (knocks on wood).
The Strand?

Spiders make sense. They don't like moisture, they seek dry places. I do a double spray on the ground around the house and then around the doors and windows and any entrances or wherever the little bastards can squeeze through. I use about 2-2.5 gallons for the immediate exterior of the house. Granules go onto the lawn and garden twice a year. There's some pro grade chemicals you can order out of state and are legal here. Again, safety is important.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
The Strand?

Spiders make sense. They don't like moisture, they seek dry places. I do a double spray on the ground around the house and then around the doors and windows and any entrances or wherever the little bastards can squeeze through. I use about 2-2.5 gallons for the immediate exterior of the house. Granules go onto the lawn and garden twice a year. There's some pro grade chemicals you can order out of state and are legal here. Again, safety is important.

I think the direction you pointed me to is the route I will go. Was just on their website checking out their products and given where they are and how many we see, this should do the trick! Who knew it could be this easy!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I think the direction you pointed me to is the route I will go. Was just on their website checking out their products and given where they are and how many we see, this should do the trick! Who knew it could be this easy!
I definitely like their products. If it's capable of pissing off wild animals, it's doing something right.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
:D:D:D

LOL... Yes it is.
Yep. But as I said, use protection. Latex or nitrile gloves, mask (even a simple one will suffice), safety glasses, long sleeve shirt. The fumes from the spray will scratch and irritate your throat, make you sneeze and if the spray gets on you, you could get some hive/redness along with a lot of itchiness. The throat irritation cause cause hours of coughing. For granules, a seed spreader or shaker will work best. Throwing it by hand isn't accurate and you want that stuff on the lawn or grass, not on walkways or sidewalks that would encourage runoff of the chemicals.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Yep. But as I said, use protection. Latex or nitrile gloves, mask (even a simple one will suffice), safety glasses, long sleeve shirt. The fumes from the spray will scratch and irritate your throat, make you sneeze and if the spray gets on you, you could get some hive/redness along with a lot of itchiness. The throat irritation cause cause hours of coughing. For granules, a seed spreader or shaker will work best. Throwing it by hand isn't accurate and you want that stuff on the lawn or grass, not on walkways or sidewalks that would encourage runoff of the chemicals.

Got it! Thanks for the warning re: rashes, itchiness, and other little things.

Have you had any issues with animals such as dogs or cats? I don't plan on putting anything on the grass, but the spray is going to be a definite for the spiders.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Got it! Thanks for the warning re: rashes, itchiness, and other little things.

Have you had any issues with animals such as dogs or cats? I don't plan on putting anything on the grass, but the spray is going to be a definite for the spiders.
They claim that it's weather fast in 20 minutes and mature at 24 hours. So much so that animals can walk across treated areas. No dogs here, though. Pretty sure most of the neighbors use similar products and they have cats and or dogs. I've yet to hear someone claim their pet was poisoned.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
They claim that it's weather fast in 20 minutes and mature at 24 hours. So much so that animals can walk across treated areas. No dogs here, though. Pretty sure most of the neighbors use similar products and they have cats and or dogs. I've yet to hear someone claim their pet was poisoned.

Thanks again for the info, I was checking there website and there was nothing on dogs or cats so I was wonder if you have heard anything. I am all set and will be picking up the supplies this weekend. Don't know if I will get to it this weekend, given we are expecting rain off and on all weekend.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks again for the info, I was checking there website and there was nothing on dogs or cats so I was wonder if you have heard anything. I am all set and will be picking up the supplies this weekend. Don't know if I will get to it this weekend, given we are expecting rain off and on all weekend.
I don't think it would be a problem because it does become rain fast/weather fast within an hour. I like to spray it near dusk because by morning it's good to go. The granules are spread and then watered over, they dissolve and the soil soaks it up and kills insects in it. If an animal licked a treated area, then it would pose a problem.

Yeah, we're expecting rain six out of the next seven days. I have to apply some spray to the house before the weather really warms up.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I don't think it would be a problem because it does become rain fast/weather fast within an hour. I like to spray it near dusk because by morning it's good to go. The granules are spread and then watered over, they dissolve and the soil soaks it up and kills insects in it. If an animal licked a treated area, then it would pose a problem.

Yeah, we're expecting rain six out of the next seven days. I have to apply some spray to the house before the weather really warms up.

Great idea! Don't have to worry about really anything at that point!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Great idea! Don't have to worry about really anything at that point!
Yep. Get it this weekend during the eye and do a quick spray before the rain starts again. Respray in a few weeks when the weather warms up a little. Also, I've only just realized you're a 20 minute drive away from the nearest Handel's. I hate you for that.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Yep. Get it this weekend during the eye and do a quick spray before the rain starts again. Respray in a few weeks when the weather warms up a little. Also, I've only just realized you're a 20 minute drive away from the nearest Handel's. I hate you for that.

LOL, I had to look that one up. As in Handel's Ice Cream? All the time I have lived here I have never heard of it. Now I have it on my bookmarked list on Yelp and yup we go to that area all the time. I am assuming you mean the one in Redondo Beach. If this isn't what you were referring to, either way, I just found a new ice cream spot! :eek::D

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
LOL, I had to look that one up. As in Handel's Ice Cream? All the time I have lived here I have never heard of it. Now I have it on my bookmarked list on Yelp and yup we go to that area all the time. I am assuming you mean the one in Redondo Beach. If this isn't what you were referring to, either way, I just found a new ice cream spot! :eek::D
That's the one. It's a stone's throw from Hermosa. Salt and Straw is good if you're ever in LA. There's a place called Creamerestry or something like that in your general area, that you might like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.