Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
I hate dealing with plumbing. I seem to always have them tightened too tight, or not enough. Ugh! Nice job. One thing I will be doing from now on and I wish I did it before, was put down one of the metal tray's that covers the entire wood bottom of the cabinet and also has flanges that go up the sides of the cabinet. This is in case there is a leak it doesn't destroy or damage your cabinet base or baseboards.

We went cabinet shopping this weekend, getting ready to do the kitchen and master bath, and these little plates would have saved us quite a bit in repairs if we had them. Going to be using them on everything that deals with water and cabinets from now on lol.
It's really a shame that you can't buy quality cabinets from most places. You might pay more, but check out a custom cabinet shop. You can have them made with real wood, instead of particle board.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It's really a shame that you can't buy quality cabinets from most places. You might pay more, but check out a custom cabinet shop. You can have them made with real wood, instead of particle board.

The cabinets that we did buy were of great quality, solid wood. But they didn't have the above piece I am referencing which is something we just learned about this past weekend. Why they didn't have this before when we re-did our previous kitchen at our old house is beyond me! I wish I would have known about it. I love the idea of being able to protect investment especially when it comes to water damage. This new feature, well it might not be new but new to us is something we really like and plan on incorporating into our new cabinets!

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
The cabinets that we did buy were of great quality, solid wood. But they didn't have the above piece I am referencing which is something we just learned about this past weekend. Why they didn't have this before when we re-did our previous kitchen at our old house is beyond me! I wish I would have known about it. I love the idea of being able to protect investment especially when it comes to water damage. This new feature, well it might not be new but new to us is something we really like and plan on incorporating into our new cabinets!
Where did you find them? The cabinets I see in the home centers, have wood doors but the rest of it is made out of laminated particle board.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Where did you find them? The cabinets I see in the home centers, have wood doors but the rest of it is made out of laminated particle board.

We went to a custom cabinet place, I don't know where you are located, but the places we went to are located in Orange County California and Century City. These are all custom made cabinets based on your drawings, solid wood, inside and out, no particle board or compressed wood.

We looked at Home Depot, Lowes, and Ikea and while we liked some of the styles, we didn't like the price or the material that was being used. So I asked my friends and co-workers and found some spots and that is what we have been using ever since. The kicker is our cabinets came in a lot cheaper; just under 10K where we have received quotes in upwards of 40K! :eek:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
in my rentals and my home i staple a sheet of thick vinyl below the sink. Change out the plastic as needed

Up front in one situation I was was able to get matching longer cabinet doors. I removed the sink cabinet bottom, exposing the floor. I extended the floor tile into the cabinet.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks!

I’m going to recommend Direct Buy (https://www.directbuy.com/) to you or anyone who is about to start a house project if you have one close to you, with the caveat that I don’t know what the new member fee is. See: http://www.hfndigital.com/housewares/directbuy-shifts-subscription-based-memberships/

About 4 years ago, we remodeled out kitchen. I payed a $5000 fee to join, and we saved well more than that in our project. But you had to spend money to save money. Since then Direct Buy reorganized, closed their US franchise locations and have reopened some of them as company stores. They gave us a free renewal membership which is about $300 a year. This maybe different than a new membership.

I am getting ready to start a master bathroom project. We spent several hours there (DB) today, and their quote for cabinets was very positive. We have an appointment tomorrow at Lowe’s and I’ll post how much the comparison quote is.

What got my attention today is that the $2500 American Standard freestanding tub my wife wants is $1300 at DB! Compared to MSRP, we checked several items, toilet, sinks, etc and everything was running about 1/2 off retail. This is compared to close to, if not MSRP at Lowe’s when my wife checked tub prices there.

Update: It was Home Depot not Lowes, but my wife looked up the price of a single double vanity with a stone top and it was About $2500 at Home Depit! What has happened to cabinet prices?? We decided to go with the Direct buy quote of approximately $4000 for 4 cabinets (Norcraft: http://www.norcraftcabinetry.com/) and extras. These are not cabinets with particle board bodies.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I go with a custom cabinet maker. It can be expensive, but you're saving money since it's solid wood throughout. Benedettini does some nice work in your neck of the woods, Hunt.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My wife wants to replace an enclosed shower stall, with a new one with 2 sides of cultured marble, a third glass wall, and where the door used to be, left open. The current stall has a plastic base that contains the water and directs it to the drain. I’m afraid if we remove that and just run floor tile into that space, the water may go all over the place instead I’d down the drain.

My impression when a shower is initially designed this way on a concrete floor, that a slight dip can be put into the concrete so the water heads towards the drain. But this will in essence be a retro fit. I’ll talk to the tile people about any special precautions when running floor tile into a shower stall. Maybe there is a cultured marble floor piece to use instead, but that will change the appearance than tile going into the shower stall.

I go with a custom cabinet maker. It can be expensive, but you're saving money since it's solid wood throughout. Benedettini does some nice work in your neck of the woods, Hunt.
I’ll probably stick with the Direct Buy deal. These cabinets are high quality, with plywood instead of particle board with cherry fronts so high enough quality for me. :)

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
That can be done on old concrete or it torn and redone. That is pretty much what I had done on the master bath when I first bought this house. It had one of those fiberglass tub shower things and the contractors did that, used some sheeting and some pink goop that was opaque and went on clear. We remodeled roughly a decade later and tore everything out and there was no mold. The drain itself is likely going to be sheathed. You guys have your work cut out for you with an open entrance, but it looks great in my head.

I'm not sure how big your stall will be, but if you can spare some room, have them put in a small shelf that can be marbled over. Or one of those sitting bench thingamajigs.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That can be done on old concrete or it torn and redone. That is pretty much what I had done on the master bath when I first bought this house. It had one of those fiberglass tub shower things and the contractors did that, used some sheeting and some pink goop that was opaque and went on clear. We remodeled roughly a decade later and tore everything out and there was no mold. The drain itself is likely going to be sheathed. You guys have your work cut out for you with an open entrance, but it looks great in my head.

I'm not sure how big your stall will be, but if you can spare some room, have them put in a small shelf that can be marbled over. Or one of those sitting bench thingamajigs.
At this point, I plan on doing most of the work. I just want to be sure that with an open entrance to the shower that most of the water goes down the drain, and not out into the bathroom so I’ll be talking to some contractors about that or maybe I can find a good link. :) We are still in planning stages so I’m not locked into a particular design.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
At this point, I plan on doing most of the work. I just want to be sure that with an open entrance to the shower that most of the water goes down the drain, and not out into the bathroom so I’ll be talking to some contractors about that or maybe I can find a good link. :) We are still in planning stages so I’m not locked into a particular design.
Yeah, that's why we didn't opt for doing it, too. I'd think it would have to do with the placement of the shower head or heads, too. A top down angle might be fine, but I'm not sure about wall outlet and water reach depending on how it can force water through the holes.

I remember you saying this was a small update you guys had in mind. It's spanned so much in the last year. :p Maybe for the summer, you'll build out a new porch and whatnot. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, that's why we didn't opt for doing it, too. I'd think it would have to do with the placement of the shower head or heads, too. A top down angle might be fine, but I'm not sure about wall outlet and water reach depending on how it can force water through the holes.

I remember you saying this was a small update you guys had in mind. It's spanned so much in the last year. :p Maybe for the summer, you'll build out a new porch and whatnot. :p
I am open to have a contractor do what I’m not sure I can do. Most likely I’ll have our dry wall finished by a pro.

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
My wife wants to replace an enclosed shower stall, with a new one with 2 sides of cultured marble, a third glass wall, and where the door used to be, left open. The current stall has a plastic base that contains the water and directs it to the drain. I’m afraid if we remove that and just run floor tile into that space, the water may go all over the place instead I’d down the drain.

My impression when a shower is initially designed this way on a concrete floor, that a slight dip can be put into the concrete so the water heads towards the drain. But this will in essence be a retro fit. I’ll talk to the tile people about any special precautions when running floor tile into a shower stall. Maybe there is a cultured marble floor piece to use instead, but that will change the appearance than tile going into the shower stall.
Any competent tile contractor will know how to install a vinyl (PVC) shower pan. It comes in 4, 5, or 6' wide on long rolls. It will be orange blue or grey. I prefer this kind over the roll on stuff. There is a 3 piece drain made for this kind of pan. Notch out the studs about 8" high, so it doesn't make the cement wall board bulge out. You install the bottom piece of the drain, then the pan, then the top two pieces of the drain. Then you mix portland cement, sand (no rock) and a little water. If it is over a slab, start out at 2" (3" if over a conventional floor) and taper down to the drain. A small shower will work with the drain of 1/4" slope.

I left out quite a few steps, but if your contractor doesn't know how to do this, move on to the next one.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Any competent tile contractor will know how to install a vinyl (PVC) shower pan. It comes in 4, 5, or 6' wide on long rolls. It will be orange blue or grey. I prefer this kind over the roll on stuff. There is a 3 piece drain made for this kind of pan. Notch out the studs about 8" high, so it doesn't make the cement wall board bulge out. You install the bottom piece of the drain, then the pan, then the top two pieces of the drain. Then you mix portland cement, sand (no rock) and a little water. If it is over a slab, start out at 2" (3" if over a conventional floor) and taper down to the drain. A small shower will work with the drain of 1/4" slope.

I left out quite a few steps, but if your contractor doesn't know how to do this, move on to the next one.
We are picturing a shower stall where the tile on the floor in the bathroom runs into the shower area with no discernible pan and wonder if that is practical for a remodel with a concrete floor?

Last edited:

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
We are picturing a shower stall where the tile on the floor in the bathroom runs into the shower ares with no discernible pan and wonder if that is practical for a remodel with a concrete floor?
Yes, that is called a handicapped shower. It involves gluing several pans together, and mudding (portland and sand) the whole bathroom floor. Very expensive.

The type of pan that I'm talking about, will not be seen after it is finished.

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
Thanks! I’ll be asking about this. I’m ok with a reduced pan as an alternative. :)
I don't know what you mean by a reduced pan, but the type of pan that I'm talking about, will not be seen after it is finished.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't know what you mean by a reduced pan, but the type of pan that I'm talking about, will not be seen after it is finished.
Is there a discernible edge between the bathroom floor and the base of the shower. Could you possibly locate and post an image link of what you are describing? Thanks!

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
Is there a discernible edge between the bathroom floor and the base of the shower. Could you possibly locate and post an image link of what you are describing? Thanks!
This isn't a handicapped shower, but this is what I'm talking about. Pan with the tapered mud floor.I always install the cement wall board before the mud floor, so It doesn't need nails at the bottom.
pan.jpeg

[doublepost=1519058794][/doublepost]
access_shower2.jpg

If done correctly, this has a pan under it too. This is some ugly tile.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This isn't a handicapped shower, but this is what I'm talking about. Pan with the tapered mud floor.I always install the cement wall board before the mud floor, so It doesn't need nails at the bottom.
View attachment 751776
[doublepost=1519058794][/doublepost] View attachment 751778
Thanks for these illustrations!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
View attachment 751776
[doublepost=1519058794][/doublepost] View attachment 751778
We were at the tile store today and got my wife to move away from the no threshold shower after we talked to a store accociate who worked as a plumber. For the shower walls, we are considering both cultured marble and a porcelain slab. My wife did not like the colors of cultured marble. The porcelain slab is still a possibility but we were told it requires a certified technician to install. Because of this and the floor of the shower, I may sub out the shower to a contractor.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Quartz tile might be something she likes. You'll probably want to go to a tile store rather than a big box store. They'll have access to better materials. Because of its nature, you can get just about any pattern you guys desire.

It'll be easier to maintain and clean in the future. Cleaning wise, the best tip I ever got was to use those nylon sponges meant for delicate glass. The kind that looks like a tiny poodle minus the dog bits. That works beautifully on any building. You can pretty much avoid all hard chemicals meant for stonework that way. A steam cleaner works great, too, but I've yet to find one that's durable and costs less than a few hundred.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Quartz tile might be something she likes. You'll probably want to go to a tile store rather than a big box store. They'll have access to better materials. Because of its nature, you can get just about any pattern you guys desire.

It'll be easier to maintain and clean in the future. Cleaning wise, the best tip I ever got was to use those nylon sponges meant for delicate glass. The kind that looks like a tiny poodle minus the dog bits. That works beautifully on any building. You can pretty much avoid all hard chemicals meant for stonework that way. A steam cleaner works great, too, but I've yet to find one that's durable and costs less than a few hundred.

HAHAHA, that cracked me up, of course I was picturing the actual poodle minus the "bits".

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Regarding the shower install, I found an exciting solution that I can do to prep the shower. It’s the Wedi Shower System I found at The Tile Shop. That’s a store name. It’s pretty amazing, but moderately expense at $1600 for everything except the tile.
https://www.tileshop.com/category/installation+&+care/wedi.do?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2snUBRDfARIsAIGfpqGtRIsai7bAIXQtskZB4JSqSyYnezEQOazs6kRPY_X0yR0ZJe2kTDAaAgDOEALw_wcB
FA558074-846A-4230-A1D7-9EA2085CD9E7.jpeg
While we found porcelain slabs to be attractive for the shower walls, but they were the same price as the most expensive natural stone and had the most expensive, installed by certified contractor only, making it very expensive. We decided to go with 24x24” porcelain tiles and the shower install system above and because I am a sucker for doing it myself. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.