Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I ordered custom configuration of Mac Pro on Sunday Dec 22nd. It sucks having to wait at least another whole month to get it (because of "Available to ship: February").

Rad

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
AppleCare Charged

I ordered my custom build Mac Pro with AppleCare a few minutes after it was available on Dec 19. Last night the charge for AppleCare came through my bank account - a real charge, not just an authorization. The charge for my actual computer has not come through and the status on the order status web page is unchanged from "Processing" and shipping in January. Apple customer support told me the full charge may be any day but he did not expect anything to ship until mid-January. Final two weeks!

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
My BTO status is also unchanged from Processing/January but I just checked and the Apple Care charge hit my credit card on the 29th. The rest should be soon, I'm thinking.

Rock Hound

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2013
I received a stock 6-core on 12/27 - a day later than expected because of the UPS holiday mess.

Setup was a breeze, and the performance is absolutely spectacular compared to my 2008 Quad unit - no surprise there. The computer seems rock solid; no tangible Rev A quirks thus far.

The Tube-O-Mac is gorgeous, and port access is great - there really is no front or back to the unit - it's just whatever you want it to be. Relative to my old Mac Pro, all the ports are on the side.

The computer remained remarkably cool while running all cores continuously at full tilt for ~3 hours.

For some reason I cannot get GeekBench to launch. However, speed disk test shows sustained file transfer rates of about 700 megabytes per second from my DataTale RAID box, which contains 3 960 Gb Crucial M500 SSDs in RAID 0. This is about 50 Mb/s faster than published benchmarks for the unit. Perhaps some benefit is realized when hooking a TB1 box to a TB2 port.

raw911

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2003
Ok something

Ordered my BTO 10min after store came up on 19th/January ship and I just got my apple care charged to my bank acct but this is the 2nd time tho. They charged me a week or so ago and then charge fell off and $$$$ went back into my account. Now it's being taken out again. HOPEFULLY this time means nMP is coming right behind this. TIRED OF WAITING SHHHH

Scissors

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
London, UK
Last edited:

mac.rumors

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
London, UK
Good idea!

To help keep track of our nMP orders, I've set up a Google Docs spreadsheet which we can all enter our order details in. I've seen this done successfully on the MacRumors forums before ahead of other product launches (e.g. 1st gen rMBP) but thought I'd take the initiative to set one up myself this time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aoyx0F5rjIn7dFBRbXQ2Q3BwbXc2S2NhWUVzVlAxUEE&usp=sharing (Now fixed!)

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for this. I updated my details.

Anim

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2011
Macclesfield, UK
Why do you think there is such a long delay from order to actually getting the machine? In the PC world waiting 2 weeks for a custom build is about expected so 4 to 8 weeks on the nMP is soul eating lol

I can understand it's a build to order but as there are only 4 parts that need switching you would expect that to take under a minute on a production line with hundreds of these units trundling along it.

Anyway, I can think of a few scenarios

1. It has sold many many more units than they anticipated so we have to wait for stock parts to be built rather than simply assembly of stock parts.

2. They are testing each build for long periods before passing quality assurance.

3. Standard shipping logistics delay. USA -> UK -> Delivery Address

4. They are using the delivery delay to iron out last minute driver issues.

Thoughts?

Lumpydog

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Mine just arrived

3 Days later than estimated but here!

Attachments

• photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 295
Last edited:

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
3 Days later than estimated but here!

Congrats! I'm so jealous I didn't order earlier.:mad:
Looks like I'll be waiting til February.

----------

Kinda annoying that best buy is shipping in 5-7 days and we order from Apple and have to wait a month.

Scissors

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
London, UK
added colours to the google doc

:eek: Thanks! That's one way to pass the time I suppose!

I've changed the "Estimated Shipping Month" back to "Estimated Shipping" in the hope the Apple moves to conventional estimated dates at some point.

Would be great if we could embed a movie or two in the spreadsheet to make it less painful to stare at all day in the hope of seeing movement on orders!

Great to see so many contributions to the spreadsheet.

Mark

motegi

macrumors regular
May 14, 2009
sydney.au
Haha blame me for the formatting changes and reordering/categorising.

Self confessed data visualisation nut here :)

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
FWIW, I just received this email from Apple:

Thank you for your recent order. We know you’re excited to get started with your new Mac Pro, so we’d like to give you a quick update on the status of your order.

Your Mac Pro is scheduled to ship in January. When it does ship, we’ll email you with a more specific delivery date.

For the most up-to-date delivery information, visit Order Status on the Apple Online Store. If you have an iOS device, you can check your order status using the Apple Store app for iPad or iPhone.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting the new Mac Pro to you as soon as possible.

The Apple Online Store

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
I just got that too. I already knew it was going to ship in January.

As did I, but I'm taking it as a sign my order is moving along in whatever process it has going on. For me it's better than waiting in a vacuum. :)

----------

I received the same this morning. Is it a kind way of asking us not to keep refreshing our order status pages every five minutes?!

Heh. Could very well be! :D

PJNanook

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2014
I too got the no status update, status update. Can someone say useless? Then it tells you to check on line for the latest. I think that most of us would click through to check in disbelief that this could be so stupid. I think this will be counter-productive if they are trying limit the status checks.

I think someone may be having a below average day.

Kevin

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Fedex just dropped mine off... 6-core, D500, 32GB, 1TB. I ordered just after the Canadian online store opened on the 19th and I'm surprised I'm one of the first here to get a BTO delivery.

I'm going to spend the weekend getting it setup and doing some benchmarks against my existing 2009 to see what a few-grand has got me in terms of performance improvements. Stay tuned for that.

I'll update the Google Docs spreadsheet.

Pic...

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Very cool! Keep us updated.

Fedex just dropped mine off... 6-core, D500, 32GB, 1TB. I ordered just after the Canadian online store opened on the 19th and I'm surprised I'm one of the first here to get a BTO delivery.

I'm going to spend the weekend getting it setup and doing some benchmarks against my existing 2009 to see what a few-grand has got me in terms of performance improvements. Stay tuned for that.

I'll update the Google Docs spreadsheet.

Pic...

Scissors

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
London, UK

Brilliant news. What a fabulous way to start the New Year!

Thanks for updating the spreadsheet too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.