Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
I just bought, in store, without pre-ordering, a hex-core standard config. nMP at Micro Center in St. Louis Park, MN. I happened to be looking around at local electronics stores to see who might have one on display, when I saw they had 3 Mac Pros in stock. Thinking they meant the oMP, I called. Sales guy confirmed they were in stock, I asked him to physically check that they were the "small round black ones" (he didn't know there was a new model at all). He confirmed it. I ran over there, and bought it. I don't know if the other two are still there, or whether they are hex-core or quad-core.

Here's the real kicker--they reduced the price from $3,999 to $3,699 to match Apple's Education discount! Woo-hoo! I never expected that, but it never hurts to ask. Just got home with it. Going to get it set up now. I was bummed that they didn't have a mini-display port to (regular) display port connector. Neither did the local Apple Store. So, have to use DVI for my NEC Monitor for the time being.

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Click - ordered! Thanks to you guys, with all the very informative threads around here, i've been reading 2h/day since the nMP came out and finally made my decision today to get theeee

lowest config BTO (because of the 12gb ram) to:
8 core 3,0
12GB Ram (I then bought 64GB Samsung ECC from some German webshop)
512GB SSD
Dual D700

It took me a while to figure out the right configuration though! But I think this will be more than enough power to get me through the next 3 years, especially with the now revealed option of CPU upgrades in the future.
I use
Premiere
After Effects
FCP X
Lightroom
Redcine X

Since I recently read a lot of stuff on the adobe forums about how they want to embrace Open CL in the upcoming CC releases, and also saw that red cine is being optimized for Dual GPU Open CL realtime rendering since 2 months, rendering the old red rocket card obsolete, I thought I had to go for the d700!

No I only need to figure out what display to get! Got two months for that hehe.

Mike988042

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
Initially ordered mine on the 19th, but then cancelled and re-ordered on the 23rd with a discount. Pros: save £600, Cons: probably pushed way back on the list to receive it.

Having said that, I was always in the 'February' group so we'll see what happens. Added myself to the spreadsheet anyway.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
In the wee hours of the morning my status changed to "Preparing for Shipping." I just had to call my business credit card company as they flagged the charge as potentially fraudulent. All is cleared up and I expect I'll get a shipping update soon.

BTO hex/32/512/D500, ordered right after the site went live on the 19th.

anedwar

Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
North Carolina
Had to cancel my order due to banking issues. Now I'm in the feb group.

The good news is that I was able to get the EPP price on my new order so I saved a bit of money there.

The rep I spoke with believed that since my order was not processed yet (as in they haven't even thought about making your computer yet) that there would only be a week or two difference between the old and new ship dates. I placed the original order within 15 minutes of the store coming online.

mintakax

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2013
In the wee hours of the morning my status changed to "Preparing for Shipping." I just had to call my business credit card company as they flagged the charge as potentially fraudulent. All is cleared up and I expect I'll get a shipping update soon.

BTO hex/32/512/D500, ordered right after the site went live on the 19th.

I ordered within a minute of the store coming online and still have "processing items" as my status for a BTO 8 core , D700, 1Tb,32gb ram, educational pricing.
I'm hoping that's going to change soon !!

MikeLD

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
Order Status changed to Preparing for Shipment

I ordered a few minutes after the Apple Store was up the night the nMP order board opened up. Quad, D300, 1T, 16G

Very early this morning is went from processing to preparing to ship. I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa.

----------

Just shipped ... delivery on the 8th.

akrantz

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
I ordered a few minutes after the Apple Store was up the night the nMP order board opened up. Quad, D300, 1T, 16G

Very early this morning is went from processing to preparing to ship. I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa.

Lol. Congratulations! Mine did that last week! Next comes the fun part of checking UPS 20 times a day to see if there has been any progress. That's the stage I'm at now. Santa is a lot slower these days...

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I'm worse than the kid waiting for Santa. I am going through every step I can think of trying to get some kind of progress on my 27" iMac on order. It moved to preparing for shipment Saturday night(which makes me think I am getting a China assembled unit vs a USA one) and I am frequently checking the order status page, the AppleCare agreement page, and using the order number/my phone number as a reference number to see if it has been shipped already via FedEx/UPS. :eek: Nothing yet. :(

While you ordered a Mac Pro, I think a lot of us can understand how you feel. :p

random-uk

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2011
Well you're not missing much weather wise in the UK at the moment ;)

I wonder when we'll see any shipping movement here. Hope you enjoy your new friend when it arrives!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.