Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I’m surrounded by iPhones with family and friends… I’m normally the one who has to troubleshoot their devices if they stumble upon any issues. Or even through the upgrade OS (or update iPhones) phase, I help them through that.
Interestingly enough, I am the one who helps my colleagues with their android phones at work, even as I am know as the Apple guy in the workplace. I am the one who showed them how to navigate the file system in their phones, demonstrated what Dex is (as I am one of the few people with external monitors and a docking setup at my desk), or even loan them chargers and cables (funny story about why an iPhone 13 Pro Max user is the one swimming in usb-c cables). :D

And I don't even know that much about Android, so we usually just fumble our way through the settings page together. Fortunately, Android doesn't feel all that much different from iOS in this regard.

Reactions: Bkdodger

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Interestingly enough, I am the one who helps my colleagues with their android phones at work, even as I am know as the Apple guy in the workplace. I am the one who showed them how to navigate the file system in their phones, demonstrated what Dex is (as I am one of the few people with external monitors and a docking setup at my desk), or even loan them chargers and cables (funny story about why an iPhone 13 Pro Max user is the one swimming in usb-c cables). :D

And I don't even know that much about Android, so we usually just fumble our way through the settings page together. Fortunately, Android doesn't feel all that much different from iOS in this regard.
Its the opposite over here. Everyone I know bar 3 people uses Android. I have a friend who is hardcore, like flashing new ROMs all the time, built his own Android powered portable gaming setup using an old makeup case, a Raspberry Pi and a 5" LCD and when we play online streams the games from the PS4 in his loft to his Windows XP netbook (which he also did whilst on holiday!)

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
As I look back over the year, I have used or played with many different devices.

Thinkphone, Nothing 2, Zenphone 10, 13 ProMax, 15 ProMax, S23 Ultra, OnePlus 10 Pro, ….

iOS 16 and 17. Android 13 and 14.

I have found I liked the hardware from all of them in one aspect or another. My top pick is the S23 Ultra. Best screen and the S-Pen has been very useful.

I have found the OS both great and painful. IOS 17 has been the buggiest OS I have run into in a long while. Sad as it has great potential. Of these I have to give my nod to Android. Notifications, widgets, the ability to default apps, and the ability to assign the launcher that best fits my use case make this an easy choice.

Unfortunately, it is going to take till September of 2024 before I can see what next Apple brings. In the meantime I will have a good number of differing Android devices to play with.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year to all!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I have found the OS both great and painful. IOS 17 has been the buggiest OS I have run into in a long while. Sad as it has great potential. Of these I have to give my nod to Android. Notifications, widgets, the ability to default apps, and the ability to assign the launcher that best fits my use case make this an easy choice.
Granted, I don't have an iPhone to run iOS 17 daily... but I do use an iPad. And I find iPadOS 17 to be stable... haven't ran into any buggy issues (unless I'm on a beta, but that's to be expected).

I'm curious... what bugs have you encountered using iOS 17?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Granted, I don't have an iPhone to run iOS 17 daily... but I do use an iPad. And I find iPadOS 17 to be stable... haven't ran into any buggy issues (unless I'm on a beta, but that's to be expected).

I'm curious... what bugs have you encountered using iOS 17?

Been never ending.
Current ones:
- Apps launched from Notifications occasionally crash
- Messages on iPhone do not forward properly to my iPad and frequently never alert on my Apple Watch
- WiFi 6 has finally stopped sporadically disconnecting however it drops to half speed when more than 10 feet from modem/router
- Badges show a number which is usually wrong until you open the app
- Silent on the Action Button doesn’t silence everything
- Weather Widget may or may not be either accurate or even show correct info
- …

It has been never ending.

Here is a site that tries to collect many of them…

Oh, and spell check still sucks.

Reactions: jamezr

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Been never ending.
Current ones:
- Messages on iPhone do not forward properly to my iPad and frequently never alert on my Apple Watch
- WiFi 6 has finally stopped sporadically disconnecting however it drops to half speed when more than 10 feet from modem/router
- …

Weird, I have only two of these. I have the badges issue on a folder when I have notifications silenced on all the apps in that folder. I also have an issue (somewhat self-inflicted) where I have a second wifi network a short distance away in my work shed and so it gets confused in parts of my house. I just disable wifi for the day LOL.

Other than that? iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 have been pretty dang good for me.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Weird, I have only two of these. I have the badges issue on a folder when I have notifications silenced on all the apps in that folder. I also have an issue (somewhat self-inflicted) where I have a second wifi network a short distance away in my work shed and so it gets confused in parts of my house. I just disable wifi for the day LOL.

Other than that? iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 have been pretty dang good for me.

That has been one of the frustrating things with iOS. Same model and some have issues while others do not.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I switched from Android to iPhone fully in 2012 and was content. I haven’t compared in all seriousness and all my family use iPhones so it’s just easier. A few of my friends who were long time iPhone users switched to Android but it’s not an issue as everybody uses WhatsApp for texting anyway. Maybe if I ever find something the iPhone can’t do that I need I might explore alternatives but that hasn’t happened as yet. I get the impression smartphones have matured to a point where they all essentially do the same thing now and it probably comes down to personal taste.
Yes my husband is a staunch android user. However, like you said we just use WhatsApp. So it's not an issue. I do think it's much of a muchness now when it comes to phones. The iPhone is just more convenient because I'm already in the ecosystem and switching would mean overhauling all my other devices.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I think android is quite easy to use if you know how to use a windows computer.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think android is quite easy to use if you know how to use a windows computer.

Agreed. That’s admittedly one advantage of android having a traditional file system. It’s fairly easy to get files off your phone compared to iOS (for some reason, when I connect my iPhone to my work laptop via a lightning cable to export photos, the windows gallery app doesn’t detect my phone like half the time. It was often easier to me to just upload them to OneDrive from my phone and download them through my laptop.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
It’s will be like hearing a person from the third world describe their first 3 course meal 😂

Or when your kid has his poor friend over when you’re cooking sea bass

“You don’t have any fish sticks or a mac and cheese or normal food?”

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I always find it interesting when people describe IOS as buggy and say Android is more stable for them. I still probably prefer Android but it’s always been much buggier and unpredictable whereas things on IOS just seem to always work and work as expected. Interesting that some people have the opposite experience.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I always find it interesting when people describe IOS as buggy and say Android is more stable for them. I still probably prefer Android but it’s always been much buggier and unpredictable whereas things on IOS just seem to always work and work as expected. Interesting that some people have the opposite experience.
I've never had buggy iOS not sure if I'm lucky or just my usage patterns ...at the same time I've been rocking the Pixel 8 Pro flawlessly while I've seen others with issues that make me feel like I'm using a different phone ..I don't know

Reactions: tbayrgs and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

A lot of it is use case and for Android what model/OEM you have. For me, most bugs that impact my use case are the ones I notice.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
This is a good thread to put my end of year thoughts on iPhone and Android.
Devices used or tested this year:
  1. iPhone 13 ProMax
  2. iPhone 15 ProMax
  3. Thinkphone
  4. OnePlus 9 Pro
  5. OnePlus 10 Pro
  6. Nothing Phone 2
  7. Zenphone 10
  8. Galaxy S23 Ultra
Best and Worst item on each:

iPhone 13 ProMax
Pro - Solid hardware and came through with just a couple of scratches after almost two years.
Con - The OS was a never ending gamut of bugs and features that never quite worked as advertised.

iPhone 15 ProMax
Pro - Hardware that actually feels decent in hand including a much needed weight reduction.
Con - Including a replacement it has been a WiFi pain in the butt.

Thinkphone
Pro - Connects and works well with Lenovo Thinkpad pc’s.
Con - After several months of use, the Moto OS has become an issue with pauses and slowdowns. First Android I have owned that had this issue.

OnePlus 9 Pro
Pro - The hardware is light and feels great in hand.
Con - Even with tweaking, the battery life was marginal at best.

OnePlus 10 Pro
Pro - Great in hand (one hand) with decent battery life.
Con - With every update (OS) you have to fight to get your battery life back.

Nothing Phone 2
Pro - The OS is clean and refreshing providing something not often seen - simplicity.
Con - It is a new design and OS that needs time to mature.

Zenphone 10
Pro - Small compact package that has all the features - including a headphone jack!
Con - The OS lags behind others when it comes to updates and security patches.

Galaxy S23 Ultra
Pro - The hardware is first rate and this device feels the best in hand of all my devices.
Con - I have found Bixby to be both a pain in the ass and an issue trying to shut-off / disable in favor of Google Assistant.

Overall I have liked all of these devices and could use them for my daily driver if needed. I could have listed a lot more pro’s and con’s for each device and only listing one of each for each device was hard. I went with what has the biggest impact to my daily workflow. The single biggest issue with the iPhone has been and continues to be the OS. The lack of flexibility to make it into something that meshes smoothly with my use needs continues to be the biggest con. On the average it takes more effort and more work-around to do the same activities on the iPhone than it does on most Android devices. Not saying Android is perfect by any means. However when I run into an issue with Android, it is generally far easier to find a solution even if it involves getting a different device. Choice.

At this time the S23 Ultra is my daily driver with the 15 ProMax being the backup. I try to stay with one from each OS.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Been never ending.
Current ones:
- …

On 17.2.1 on my 15pm
1. No
2. Have iMessage off on my iPad
3. I replaced my 5 year old router and WiFi 6 works like champ
4. If this is a thing I haven’t noticed
5. Haven’t noticed
6. Haven’t noticed

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
Old phone had motherboard issue; lagged and was too heavy for my uses. Decided an iPhone mini would be the best replacement but cost seemed excessive for a device that may be broken fairly easily on day one and for what the apparent features were. Later decided what I really wanted was: At least mid-range performance; lighter than 175 grams and the bigger the better. After much research; bought a Moto Edge 30 Fusion at an apparent big discount - though more than my ideal budget and mainly because it was <175g and biggish 6.55".

However; I could't get the SIM tray to open and found two diagrams with conflicting imagery; took it back to the store and wondered whether I might get a no cost swap for the Edge 30 (155 grams). Shop attendant recommended brute force - which worked - and he mentioned that this wouldn't happen with an Apple phone; I felt better at that point as was now able to open SIM tray and reminided of the hundreds of dollars saved thus far. I thought about getting a case but after some apparently moderate usage for an hour or so it felt so hot that I stopped using even the plastic protector it came with. Screen has round edges which are acceptable but that I would avoid in future and the screen looks or is noticeably smaller that my old 6.55" phone (seems that they've counted the screen size to include parts at around a 90 degree angle to the front! It also goes a long way to explain why it is so much lighter than supposedly comparably sized phones) Have yet to discern any difference when using the 144hz refresh rate and would only use the 68 watt charger in emergencies as it seems established that whatever mitigation is in place; slower charging is better for the batteries health.

While I was researching, an acquaintance bought a new iPhone SE (replacing working one a few years old) for about 40% more than mine and she lamented that it didn't really seem much different; I suspect her usage would be more than adequately served by the cheapest Samsung phone and with a much bigger screen as a bonus- so I was pleased that my research - while deficient - at least resulted in a device with some proximity to my requirements and would make any future research (into anything) better informed.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
F**K 😓😓

PXL_20240106_181219914.jpg

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Ughh how did it happen ?
I had my iPhone in my pocket whilst in the car and as I got out the car the iPhone slipped out and fell on its back onto a gravelly road.
Strangely, theres no damage anywhere else and it was some drop so the camera lens has clearly taken the brunt.

Will take it to an apple store tomorrow see what it will cost to fix. I don't have apple care or anything as I never normally keep iphones long enough for that!

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Ouch, have considered one of these?

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I had my iPhone in my pocket whilst in the car and as I got out the car the iPhone slipped out and fell on its back onto a gravelly road.
Strangely, theres no damage anywhere else and it was some drop so the camera lens has clearly taken the brunt.

Will take it to an apple store tomorrow see what it will cost to fix. I don't have apple care or anything as I never normally keep iphones long enough for that!
Damn hopefully it's not a big cost for repair ...good luck with it

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019

Just hit up the website and think $250
cf23ea730450a51e69244443f2bf1fc2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Aneres11 and jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.