Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Watched two episodes so far and while I utterly enjoy it I do miss the genius of the book - which imo is the general premise (check) but even moreso the characters and details (speech-patterns for example) that are completely missing in the show, which is character wise the usual hollywood cardboard stuff. Missed opportunity - although it would have made it less accessible to the wide audience.

The heavy usage of the I Ching of certain characters (the whole PSA is based on it / it basically is the opposing force/ideology vs the Nazi-ideology) is also completely missing so far. Strange regarding the conclusion and a missed opportunity

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Love the show (haven't read the book yet but I would like to), however, I tried to begin Season 2 yesterday and I realized that not having seen the show in over a year, I've forgotten so much of Season 1 that the first episode of Season 2 was a little hard to follow. The "recap" went by so fast that it didn't really help much. I don't want to have to re-watch Season 1, but it's looking like I might have to read some detailed synopses of the episodes.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Love the show (haven't read the book yet but I would like to), however, I tried to begin Season 2 yesterday and I realized that not having seen the show in over a year, I've forgotten so much of Season 1 that the first episode of Season 2 was a little hard to follow. The "recap" went by so fast that it didn't really help much. I don't want to have to re-watch Season 1, but it's looking like I might have to read some detailed synopses of the episodes.

I may go back and watch the entire first season, I really enjoyed it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watchout for spoilers

If it's Dickian, the basic question is: What is real? Basically, Philip K. Dick spent a lifetime exploring the nature of reality in the majority of his works, and this question (on the nature of reality) spilled out into Dick's own (personal) reality, as well as spilling out to affect the reader's perception of reality (as Dick noted in The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick: "Maybe by writing about it and getting other people to read my writing I change reality by their reading it...") And that will probably scare the b'jesus out of more than a few, since even the thought of "escaping reality" is a really terrifying no-no in some people's (conventionally-minded) minds...

Sigh. It's seems impossible to talk about this subject without giving something away...

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask about the book in regards to it being "only a story of people living in and dealing with a world where the Axis Powers won the war"...?

I read the book. Although the book's ending is somewhat "open ended", the book actually does make sense, "sense", in fact, on several different levels, thanks largely to an ample supply of hints and background info provided by the author.

In comparison to the book, the screenplay seems very shallow and somewhat "dumbed down" almost to a "soap opera" level, at least that's my impression after first viewing it... Maybe I should watch it again, but right now that seems like more a chore than something that would be enjoyable, since, for me at least, the storyline seemed to really drag in places.

I'm currently reading the book, abet very slowly among the other reading I'm doing. This post maybe a little premature, I've noticed (in the book MITHC) several major characters rely on the I Ching, referring to it as the Oracle, a way to receive guidance or information about weighty decisions. And then there is the book, The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, which so far, to me appears to be just a speculative it could of happened like this, which really has nothing to do with a real alternate reality. Now maybe as the book progresses, this concept becomes more pronounced as more than just speculation?

A previous critique of mine, is that in the show, instead of a book (Grasshopper), the films are shown to be news reals toted by at least one individual from one reality to another. So is it safe to say in the show they are running with the concept of parallel universes/realities existing side by side and just as important IMO, does the book (The Man in the High Castle) try to make this leap at any point? A general answer would be preferred instead of plot specifics. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sigh. It's seems impossible to talk about this subject without giving something away...

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask about the book in regards to it being "only a story of people living in and dealing with a world where the Axis Powers won the war"...?

I read the book. Although the book's ending is somewhat "open ended", the book actually does make sense, "sense", in fact, on several different levels, thanks largely to an ample supply of hints and background info provided by the author.

In comparison to the book, the screenplay seems very shallow and somewhat "dumbed down" almost to a "soap opera" level, at least that's my impression after first viewing it... Maybe I should watch it again, but right now that seems like more a chore than something that would be enjoyable, since, for me at least, the storyline seemed to really drag in places.

I just finished the book which took me long enough. ;) I agree it's good read, but it's much lower key than the TV show. If Season 1 was watched, I don't think the story spoilers have any real impact on the tv show, other than the setting and premise. Here is my summary of the book illustrating how it differs from the show, for anyone who's seen the show:

• Same setting post WWII after Germany and Japan won the war and split up the U.S. Everyone uses the I Ching for guidance. Some call it the Oracle?
  • Frank Frink and Ed McCarthy are just two guys who quit their jobs to make jewelry. They have no scrapes with the Japanese authorities, although he briefly gets arrested for being a Jew.
  • Juliana Frink lives in the neutral zone, Rocky Mountain area. She has had no scrapes with the Japanes and nor does she go to NYC.
  • An author names Abendsen who lives in Cheyene, Wy has written a book called the The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, which reads like a novel and describes how things would be if the German's had lost the war. Many people read the book. It gives the German's a lot of heart burn over it.
  • Juliana meets a truck driver named Joe who is a German Agent on a mission to kill Abendsen and has an affair with him. On a vacation with him to Denver she discovers his mission.
  • A faction of the Germans who don't want any more war, sends an agent on a mission to warn the Japanese about a plot to nuke the Japanese Home Islands.
  • Juliana meets the author Abendsen who is revealed to have used the iChing to shape the plot of the story (Grasshopper). She believes the book represents an alternate reality. He may believe it too. In real life, Phillip Dick was reported to have used the I Ching to write, shape the stories plot.
  • Trade Minister Tagomi while meditating in a San Francisco park with a piece of jewelry made by Frink, is briefly transported to a San Francisco where the Allies won the war.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I agree with localoid.

The series is enjoyable for what it is but no comparison to the book. The series lacks any real originality imho and the characters are predictable, cliché'd and generic - they share nothing with those in the book than their name. In 20 years, nobody will remember the show but the book will still be relevant.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I agree with localoid.

The series is enjoyable for what it is but no comparison to the book. The series lacks any real originality imho and the characters are predictable, cliché'd and generic - they share nothing with those in the book than their name. In 20 years, nobody will remember the show but the book will still be relevant.

I think that the show's primary difference is that they are capitalizing on the idea of alternate realities, or parallel universes, so much more so than the book did.

Reactions: JamesMike

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I think that the show's primary difference is that they are capitalizing on the idea of alternate realities, or parallel universes, so much more so than the book did.

I'm not saying the series is bad, but in comparison to the book, imho, it's quite clear that the characters got dumbed down to meet expected US-telly standards. Where are all those pede-caps? Slaves? The idea of adapting foreign speech (and thinking) patterns because of imperialism etc pp are all completely absent in the show also the extremely rigid class system is basically non-existent.

But let's agree to disagree. :) But thanks for digging that quote out - stopped watching it already forgot to finish the season.. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not saying the series is bad, but in comparison to the book, imho, it's quite clear that the characters got dumbed down to meet expected US-telly standards. Where are all those pede-caps? Slaves? The idea of adapting foreign speech (and thinking) patterns because of imperialism etc pp are all completely absent in the show also the extremely rigid class system is basically non-existent.

But let's agree to disagree. :) But thanks for digging that quote out - stopped watching it already forgot to finish the season.. ;)
No issue here. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Watched two episodes so far and while I utterly enjoy it I do miss the genius of the book - which imo is the general premise (check) but even moreso the characters and details (speech-patterns for example) that are completely missing in the show, which is character wise the usual hollywood cardboard stuff. Missed opportunity - although it would have made it less accessible to the wide audience.

The heavy usage of the I Ching of certain characters (the whole PSA is based on it / it basically is the opposing force/ideology vs the Nazi-ideology) is also completely missing so far. Strange regarding the conclusion and a missed opportunity

I agree with localoid.

The book has been highly recommended to me - although I have yet to read it.

However, I have long had a horror of movies or shows whereby Hollywood dumbs down - and strips a stunning story of subtlety - fantastic source material that came from a classic book.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The book has been highly recommended to me - although I have yet to read it.

However, I have long had a horror of movies or shows whereby Hollywood dumbs down - and strips a stunning story of subtlety - fantastic source material that came from a classic book.
The TV show takes the concept of the book, describing an alternate reality and expands on it while maintaining the essence of the story, the ability of an individual to sense living parallel alternate realities, even move between them, but the main emphasis of the story so far in the tv show, is the ramifications of a world where the Axis won WWII, and the current conflict associated with it.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My wife and I recently finished the 3rd season, and we are both really liking this show. Can't wait for the 4th season to come out.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
At the end of S2 does anyone think Smith double crossed Joe in Berlin? Ultimately good motivation or bad, he did prevent WWIII Germany vs Japan.

Season 3: I’ve completed the first two episodes of S3. Now that Smith tried to have Joe eliminated in an alley, but Joe took a shovel to the problem , I’m looking forward seeing where Joe’s motivations lie.

I came to realize that I could not remember where these films came from, but knew that Tagomi had brought a film back from the other side, and apparently there are many travelers traversing the parallel universes bringing these films back?

For those of you who did not read the book, there were no films in the book.

Good article: https://www.quora.com/Where-do-the-films-in-The-Man-in-the-High-Castle-come-from

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.